Daily Current Affairs Updates– 15th May 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
· International Day of Families
Modi, Maithripala Sirisena released 'Simhastha Declaration' in Ujjain:
· The Prime Minister along with Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena released 'Simhastha Declaration' at Ninora village in Ujjain.
· Both leaders addressed the concluding session of the 3 day International Vichar Mahakumbh for the month-long Simhastha Mela.
· Sri Lankan President Sirisena was on a two day visit to India from 13 May to 15 May 2016.
· 51 sacred points have been included in this declaration for betterment of mankind and these elixir points will start new discourse for India and the world.
Amit Shah inaugurates 2nd phase of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana in Gujarat:
· BJP National president Amit Shah today inaugurated the second phase of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana at Dahod in Gujarat.
· Speaking on this occasion, he said, Centre has planned to provide 1 lakh free LPG connections to each parliamentary constituency of the country.
· In the second phase of the scheme, free LPG connections will be given to BPL families in tribal district of Dahod. The second phase will also cover the Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh along with Gujarat.
· Free Symbolic LPG connections were also given to the women of BPL families from Gujarat, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh by Mr Dharmendra Pradhan today.
· The first phase of the scheme was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Ballia in Uttar Pradesh on 1st May.
Union Health Minister Nadda lays foundation stone of medical college in Rajouri:
· In Jammu and Kashmir, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda today laid the foundation stone of medical college in the border district of Rajouri of Jammu region.
· This medical college is one of the five medical colleges recently sanctioned by the Centre for Jammu and Kashmir. Each of these colleges is to be set up at a cost of around 189 crore rupees.
· Minister of State PMO and local MP Dr. Jitendra Singh, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mebooba Mufti and other dignitaries were present on the occasion.
· Mr Nadda is also scheduled to lay the foundations of other two medical colleges in Anantnag and Baramula districts of Kashmir Valley later in the day.
Railways to lay test track for high speed trains:
· In a first, the Indian Railways is laying a 20 km-long test track near Raipur for conducting trial runs of regular and high-speed trains that it plans to introduce, a Railway Ministry official said.
· The track will also be equipped with a state-of-the-art laboratory, the official added. Currently, the trials are conducted on the existing rail network, causing traffic delays.
Rajasthan to be 1st state to issue ads to appoint V-Cs:
· Rajasthan is set to become the first state to issue newspaper advertisements for the post of Vice Chancellor of state universities, Rajasthan Governor Kalyan Singh said.
· More candidates will now be able to apply for the post leading to transparency and timely appointments. Presently, the selection committee headed by the nominee of the Governor selected a candidate without any advertisement.
Black money declaration window opens June 1:
· The four-month compliance window for declaring domestic black money by paying 45% tax and penalty will open on June 1.
· Those opting to disclose their black money will not be subjected to scrutiny and enquiry by the tax department.
· Declarations under the Income Declaration Scheme 2016 can be made till September 30 and payments must be made by November 30.
2016 Red Flag Aerial combat exercises concludes in US:
· The multilateral Red Flag Aerial combat exercises between US, NATO and allied forces and India Air Force (IAF) concluded in Alaska, US.
· The four-week long (from April 28 to May 13, 2016) aerial combat exercises was held at the Nellis Air Force Base, Alaska.
· This was the second time India had participated in such an exercise after 2008.
Venezuelan President orders seizure of non-functional factories:
· The Venezuelan President, Nicolas Maduro, has ordered the seizure of factories that have stopped production and the jailing of their owners.
· On Friday, he introduced a new, nationwide state of emergency.
· Opposition protesters have been rallying in Caracas to push for a recall vote to eject him from power.
· Venezuela has the world's largest oil reserves but its economy has been severely hit by falling global oil prices.
China launches a remote sensing satellite to carry out land surveys:
· China today successfully launched a remote sensing satellite to carry out land surveys and disaster relief.
· The satellite named Yaogan-30 was launched from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in northwestern China's Gobi Desert.
· The satellite will be used for experiments, land surveys, crop yield estimates and disaster relief.
· Yaogan-30 was carried by a Long March-2D rocket, the 227th mission for the Long March rocket family.
· China launched the first "Yaogan" series satellite, Yaogan-1, in 2006.
African and Western powers hold summit in Nigerian capital Abuja:
· African and Western powers held a summit in the Nigerian capital, Abuja, yesterday, urging to do more to stop the threat from Boko Haram.
· The move comes as the UN voiced concern about the militant groups' ties to the Islamic State and threat to African security.
· Nigeria invited leaders of its neighbours Benin, Cameroon, Chad and Niger to Abuja, whose troops will be deployed as part of a much-delayed 8,500-member regional force to combat the extremists.
White House launches project to study microbes:
· The White House has launched the National Microbiome Initiative – a new initiative aimed at studying microbial communities that could aid in the development of useful applications in several areas.
· For the project, the government will invest over $121 million in federal money, while another $400 million will come from non-government organizations, including the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
New York-based law firm hires 1st ever AI lawyer:
· New York-based law firm Baker Hostetler recently hired ROSS, 'the world's first artificially intelligent lawyer', which is powered by Watson, an IBM-developed AI system capable of processing natural language.
· After being asked a question, ROSS reads through the law and gathers evidence to give relevant and evidence-based answers. It also monitors the law for changes that can affect a certain case.
SEBI approves appointment of Ashok Chawla as NSE chairman:
· Mumbai based India’s biggest exchange, NSE, had nominated Ashok Chawla as its new chairman after obtaining a clearance from the market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India.
· He is set fill the shoes of previous holder S.B. Mathur.
· Chawla retired as CCI chairman in January after being at the helm for nearly five years. He has also served as finance secretary and civil aviation secretary.
· Earlier this year he was appointed as chairman of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) and as Additional Director by Yes Bank in March.
National Stock Exchange:
ü Headquarters: Mumbai
ü CEO: Chitra Ramkrishna
Hindupur Pradeep Rao appointed as Deputy Controller and Auditor General(CAG):
· The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of senior audit service officer Hindupur Pradeep Rao as Deputy Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) with effect from July 1, 2016.
· Pradeep is a 1981 batch officer of Indian Audit and Account Service, is presently working as Additional CAG. Comptroller and Auditor General is country’s top auditing body.
· In another appointment the cabinet committee has also appointed A K Mittal as Member (Engineering) in Railway Board here.
· AK Mittal belongs to Indian Railway Service of Engineers, is presently General Manager of East Central Railway.
· Shashi Kant Sharma is the 12th and current CAG of India.
Income Declaration Scheme for domestic black money to commence from June 01:
· The 'Income Declaration Scheme' or four month window for declaration of domestic black money will commence from 1st of next month.It will remain in force till 30th of September.
· Finance Ministry said, declarations can be filed online or with the Principal Commissioners of Income-tax. It said, surcharge and penalty must be made latest by 30th November, 2016.
· The scheme is part of Finance Act, 2016 which seeks to provide an opportunity to all persons who have not declared their income correctly in previous years to come forward and declare their undisclosed incomes.
· Under this scheme, the declared income would be taxed at the rate of 30 per cent plus 'Krishi Kalyan' cess of 25 per cent on taxes payable and a penalty at the rate of 25 per cent of the taxes payable.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
India’s GDP likely to expand by 7.7% in FY17: NCAER
· New Delhi based non-profit Economics think tank projected India’s economic growth rate to grow marginally to 7.7 percent in 2016-17.
· Sub-par monsoon have resulted on the output in the last two years of the agriculture sector that has witnessed meagre growth on account of drought in the past.
· The average rate of growth in the agricultural and allied sectors’ GDP for 2014-15 and 2015-16 has been a low 0.5 percent.
· Earlier the Confederation of Indian Industry of India predicted that it is likely to register a GDP growth of around 8 percent in current fiscal.
· IMD has predicted monsoon for this fiscal at 106 per cent of the Long Period Average with a model error of ± 5 %.
India 3rd in renewable energy attractiveness:
· India has been ranked third in the attractiveness of renewable energy, behind the US and China, according to a report by consulting firm Ernst & Young.
· "This is primarily due to strong focus of the Indian government on renewable energy coupled with the actual timely implementation of renewable energy projects," it added. The report included a list of 40 countries.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
ISRO ex-chairman UR Rao becomes first Indian in International Astronautical Federation’s ‘Hall of Fame’:
· Former ISRO scientist and Professor Udupi Ramachandra Rao will be honoured with the 2016 IAF Hall of Fame Award by the International Astronautical Federations for his immense contribution to the progress of astronautics.
· This honour consists of a permanent gallery of these personalities, including a citation, biographical information and a picture, in a special part of the IAF web presence.
· Also this year’s 67th International Astronautical Congress will be held in Mexico later this year.
ISRO set to undertake maiden launch of its own version of 'space shuttle':
· For the first time in its history, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is set to undertake the maiden launch of its very own version of a 'space shuttle', a fully made-in-India effort.
· India's space port at Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh will witness the launch of the indigenously made Reusable Launch Vehicle - Technology Demonstrator (RLV-TD).
· This flight will test the capability of the vehicle to survive a re-entry at speeds higher than that of sound, so it is called a hyper sonic experiment (HEX).
· Today, a sleek winged body almost the weight and size of a sports utility vehicle (SUV) is being given final touches at Sriharikota.
· K Sivan, director of the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuram, says, these are just the first baby steps towards a big leap.
EasyJet launches GPS-enabled shoes:
· British low-cost carrier, EasyJet launched GPS-enabled shoes on Saturday, which connect with the GPS on your smartphone to help tourists discover new places.
· The shoes have vibrators embedded which give out signals, helping the travellers to follow the right route.
· It will soon be available for purchase onboard, according to company marketing director, Peter Duffy
Samsung launches 256 GB microSD card at Rs.16,740:
· Samsung has launched a 256 GB microSD card 'EVO Plus' priced around 16,740.
· It claims to store up to 12 hours of 4K UHD video recording or 33 hours of full HD video playback.
· The card also claims reading and writing speeds of 95 MB/s and 90 MB/s, respectively. It will be available in over 50 countries from June 2016.
FC Barcelona crowned La Liga champions
· Barcelona were crowned La Liga champions for the second straight time and the 24th time overall, after they defeated Granada 3-0 in the last game of the season.
· All three goals came from Luis Suárez, who ended the season as the top goal scorer with 40 goals.
· Notably, this was Barcelona's sixth La Liga title in the past eight years.
FIFA’s auditing Head Scala resigns in protest against reforms:
· Domenico Scala, Fifa's head of auditing and compliance, has resigned in protest at reforms at the governing body of world football.
· Scala is angry as the new Fifa council will have the ability to appoint and sack those in charge of its committees, including auditing, ethics and finance.
· Fifa, which accepted Scala's resignation and installed his deputy Sindi Mabaso Koyana as acting chairman.
Lewis Hamilton takes Spanish GP pole position:
· Mercedes AMG Petronas driver, Lewis Hamilton took the pole position following the Spanish Grand Prix qualifying sessions.
· Hamilton was followed by his teammate, Nico Rosberg and Red Bull Racing's Daniel Ricciardo in second and third positions. Eighteen-year-old Max Verstappen finished fourth in his first Grand Prix for Red Bull.