Daily Current Affairs Updates– 19th May 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
Assembly results: BJP heads for mega win in Assam, TMC retains power in WB, AIADMK in TN, LDF wins in Kerala:
· The LDF has return to power in Kerala trouncing Congress-led UDF.
· The LDF has returned to power in the state winning 91 seats. The Congress led UDF has got only 47 seats, BJP and others have taken one seat each.
· The Assembly polls also made history in Assam with Congress allies losing power there too. BJP and its allies have halted, Congress stalwarts Tarun Gogoi from getting a fourth term in office in Assam.
· AIADMK Chief Jayalalitha has made a record in Tamil Nadu by making her party poised to get sixth term in the state.
· Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee is also retained power in West Bengal.
· In Puducherry, Congress-DMK allies Wins
· Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK Chief Ms.Jayalalithaa has won Dr.Radhakrishnan Nagar constituency.
5 Member Committee to give recommendations on Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management:
· The Centre has constituted a five Member Committee to comprehensively review and give recommendations on the Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management, FRBM, roadmap for the future.
· The Committee will be headed by former Revenue and Expenditure Secretary N.K. Singh.
· Other members of the Committee are Sumit Bose, former Finance and Revenue Secretary, Dr. Arvind Subramanian, Chief Economic Adviser, Urijit Patel, Deputy Governor,RBI and Rathin Roy, Director, National Institute Public Finance and Policy, NIPFP.
· The Committee will examine the need and feasibility of having a ‘fiscal deficit range’ as the target in place of the existing fixed percentage of GDP and make specific recommendations.
Joint issue between Department of Posts and UN Postal Administration on UN Women HeForShe postage stamp:
· A Memorandum of Understanding was inked between Department of Posts and United Nations Postal Administration (UNPA) in February this year for HeForShe stamp, as Union Cabinet apprised the joint issue of UN Women HeForShe postage stamp.
· Upon this move the stamps were printed in the form of sheetlet of 20 se-tenants and Miniature Sheet of two stamps.
· UN Women HeForShe campaign is a unity movement for gender equality that brings together one half of humanity in support of the other half of humanity for the benefit of all in social terms.
· The empowerment of women around the world is been encouraged in the campaign. This give fillip to great cause of gender equality.
Government to launch IIT-JEE preparation app:
· To counter the "menace" of coaching, HRD Minister Smriti Irani said that the government will launch an IIT-Pal portal and mobile app to help students prepare for IIT-JEE.
· The portal would include free lectures from IIT faculty and previous 50 years' question papers, she added.
· Irani also said that questions in IIT-JEE would conform to Class XII syllabus.
· The Indian Navy sent four warships on a 2.5 month-long operational deployment to South China Sea and North West Pacific, an official statement said.
· The fleet will take part in bilateral exercises while halting at Vietnam, Philippines, Japan, Russia, South Korea, and Malaysia. The ships will also participate in MALABAR-16, an Indo-Japan-USA trilateral exercise, the statement added.
Indian Army mountaineers summit Mount Everest:
· Indian Army mountaineers led by Lieutenant Colonel Ranveer Jamwal today summitted the Mount Everest.
· The Indian Army Everest Massif Expedition, to scale Mount Everest and Mount Lhotse, began on March 30.
· Five of the 30-member team will also participate in the ‘Tenzing Hillary Everest Marathon’ on May 29, reportedly considered one of the world's toughest trail marathons.
· The Jharkhand government has decided to include regional and tribal languages in Jharkhand Public Service Commission and Staff Selection Commission examinations, the recruiting bodies for government jobs.
· Further, the exams will include a higher percentage of Jharkhand-specific questions.
· The move to reduce emphasis on Hindi and English is reportedly aimed at giving locals a level playing field.
Engineers set solar cell efficiency world record:
· Australian engineers have developed a photovoltaic cell that has successfully achieved the sunlight-to-electricity conversion efficiency of 34.5% without any concentrators like mirrors, thereby setting a new world record.
· The team used a 28 square centimeter module embedded in a prism for extracting the maximum possible energy from sunlight. The previous best conversion efficiency was 24%.
United Nations released World Cities Report 2016 – Urbanisation and Development: Emerging Futures’ report
· UN reported that India is planned to add 300 million new urban residents by 2050 and it is required to build Climate Friendly cities to deal the challenge of accommodating the needs of the Population growth
· The first ‘World Cities Report 2016 – Urbanisation and Development: Emerging Futures’
· Contribution of urban areas more than 60 per cent of the GDP and an extra 300 million new urban residents are projected by 2050.
· Urged the Government of India to build 100 new cities with low infrastructure, denser and low energy to avoid the addition of Greenhouse gases
UNICEF and EU Launch #Emergency Lessons Campaign on Education in Crisis Zones:
· The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the European Union launched the #Emergency Lessons campaign on education in countries like Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Slovenia, Slovakia and the United Kingdom.
· The social media-driven public awareness campaign aimed at reaching 20 million Europeans and emphasising the vital role of education for children.
· United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon appointed Patricia Espinosa Cantellano of Mexico as Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
· The appointment was made after consultation with the Conference of Parties through its Bureau.
· Espinosa Cantellano will succeed Christiana Figueres of Costa Rica.
Shell India Announces Nitin Prasad as New Head:
· Shell India appointed Nitin Prasad as the new chairman, he will take charge from October.
· Prior to his new appointment Prasad is currently the cluster general manager for lubricants sales and marketing for India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
· He will fill the shoes of the incumbent Yasmine Hilton who retires in September this year.
· Hilton, who has been the chairman of Shell Companies in India and vice present for IT project excellence at the parent Royal Dutch Shell, after a career spanning 37 years with Shell.
· Belgium based visualization technology leader Barco has announced the appointment of Rajiv Bhalla as managing director for India.
· Rajiv has more than 22 years of experience in senior leadership in technology organizations such as Thomson Consumer Electronics, Microsoft, NEC and Intel & has a deep understanding of the B2B and B2C aspects of the business.
· He will be the legal representative of Barco India’s side fulfilling all legal, regulatory and statutory obligations ensuring compliance with local legal, safety, environmental regulations also company directives and guidelines.
ü CEO: Eric Van Zele
ü Headquarters: Belgium.
Nirankari mission gets its 1st woman head:
· Late spiritual leader Baba Hardev Singh's wife Savinder Kaur became the first woman head of the Nirankari mission.
· Following the demise of the spiritual leader, who was the head of the mission, in an accident in Canada on May 13, this announcement was made by the organisation's headquarters in Delhi.
· The Nirankari mission was formed in 1929.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
· 116-year-old Emma Martina Luigia Morano from Italy has been confirmed as the oldest living person in the world by Guinness World Records.
· Born in November 1899, Morano is believed to be the last person living born in the 19th century.
· She has been following the same diet of three eggs, pasta and a raw meat dish everyday for 90 years.
Baba Ramdev listed in most creative biz people:
· Baba Ramdev and Amit Agarwal, Amazon's Vice President and India's Country Manager, have been named in the list of ‘100 Most Creative People in Business’ by American magazine Fast Company.
· Agarwal has been ranked 10th for "extending Amazon's reach, one vendor at a time".
· Further, Ramdev has been ranked 27th for "disrupting India's $49 billion consumer packaged goods market".
· Chinese policeman Mao Weidong has set a Guinness World Record for planking for eight hours, one minute and one second.
· Notably, the previous record for planking for 4 hours 26 minutes was also set by Weidong on September 26, 2014.
· Weidong said his police work has helped him to achieve the record.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
· Cab aggregator Ola has signed a MoU with National Safai Karamcharis Finance and Development Corporation (NSKFDC) to focus on building a sustainable framework by supporting entrepreneurship, skill development training and self-defence courses for Safai Karamcharis and Scavengers.
· This partnership has the potential to generate synergies that will result in a better future for driver entrepreneurs by creating sustainable careers and livelihoods for them.
· This initiative is in line with Ola’s mission to up-skill drivers and create an ecosystem that is conducive for them to grow as entrepreneurs belonging to the families of Safai Karamcharis.
Oppenheimer Blue diamond sells for world record:
· The Oppenheimer Blue, the largest vivid blue diamond ever offered at an auction, was sold for a world record price of $57.5 million at Christie's auction.
· The rare rectangular-cut stone, weighing 14.62 carats, previously belonged to Sir Philip Oppenheimer, who controlled the Diamond Syndicate in London.
· Tech major Dell has raised $20 billion through the sale of bonds to back its takeover of EMC Corporation, the second-biggest corporate offering in 2016.
· The company reportedly received investor orders of over $80 billion allowing it to increase the size of the sale from $16 billion. Earlier, Belgian-Brazilian beverage maker AB InBev's raised $46 billion from bonds in January
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· Google announced a new Virtual Reality (VR) hardware and software platform called the Daydream, built on top of the upcoming Android N.
· The company said that Daydream-ready phones, along with VR viewers and motion controllers, will be available later in the year.
· Google also announced eight hardware partners including Samsung, HTC and LG, that will make Daydream-ready phones.
Google unveils communication apps Allo, Duo:
· Google announced two new communication apps Allo and Duo. Allo is a phone number-based smart messaging app with a 'Smart Reply' feature which learns user's style to suggest replies.
· Further, Duo is a one-to-one video calling app with a 'Knock Knock' feature which shows the user a live video preview of the caller before picking up the call.
· Google announced Android Wear 2.0, the next version of its Android OS for smartwatches.
· It will come with three new messaging features – a full keyboard, handwriting recognition and smart replies.
· The release will also have the fitness-focused 'activity recognition API', that will identify what the user's body is doing and launch appropriate apps to track their activity.
· Sevilla were crowned the UEFA Europa League champions for the third straight year after they defeated Liverpool 3-1 in the final.
· Kévin Gameiro scored one goal and Coke grabbed a brace for Sevilla.
· Daniel Sturridge was the only scorer for Liverpool, which also made him the first English player to score in the Europa League final since 2001.
England cricketer Joe Root bags top three England cricket awards and awarded ODI Cricketer of the Year:
· Eminent England Cricket Batsman Joe Root has been honored with England’s Test and One Day International Cricketer of the year during England Cricket Board Annual Awards
· Somerset’s Anya Shrubsole – England women’s cricketer of the year award for the maiden time
· Charlotte Edwards, who recently announced her retirement from international cricket after 20 years, won the women’s player of the year.
· Indian women shuttlers will take on Thailand in the quarterfinals of the Uber Cup Badminton tournament at Kunshan, China.
· Indian women’s team yesterday qualified for the quarterfinals despite suffering a narrow 2-3 loss to Japan in its third and final Group D match.
· Ace shuttlers Saina Nehwal and P V Sindhu notched up straight-game victories in the first two singles but Indian eves could not win the two doubles and third singles to go down fighting to 2014 runners-up Japan.
· The Indian Men’s team continued its dismal run in the Thomas Cup and crashed out after being blanked 0-5 by Indonesia in their third match of Group B at the Kunshan Sports Center Stadium yesterday.
Women's relay team sets new national record:
· The Indian 4x100m women’s relay team comprising Dutee Chand, Srabani Nanda, HM Jyoti and Merlin Joseph broke the 18-year-old national record to finish 4th position at the IAAF World Challenge in Beijing.
· The team clocked a time of 44.03 seconds, breaking the 44.43-second record set by a PT Usha-led team in July 1998 in Japan.
For More Daily Current Affairs Updates-