Daily Current Affairs Updates– 25th May 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
Draft rules for Juvenile Justice Act released
· Union Minister of Women and Child Development Maneka Gandhi has released a draft of the model rules to repeal the existing rules towards the effective implementation of Juvenile Justice Act.
· Framed by a multi-disciplinary committee, the draft involves provisions for rehabilitations and reintegration of children through special homes and open shelter among others.
Andhra Pradesh to introduce e-Office system in all districts
· Andhra Pradesh, a pioneering state in implementing e-Governance initiatives, is set to take another giant step by introducing e-Office system in all districts.
· e-Office will be introduced on a pilot basis in all 13 districts in June followed by a full-scale launch in July, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu announced at the two-day conference of district collectors here today.
Railways to launch programme to mark its success
· The Railway Ministry will launch a week-long celebration programme 'Rail Hamsafar Saptaah' on May 26, 2016, to highlight its achievements during the last two years of the NDA government.
· The days of the week will be observed as Swachchta Diwas, Satkar Diwas, Sewa Diwas, Satarkata Diwas, Saamanjasya Diwas, Sanyojan Diwas and Sanchaar Diwas.
HRD Ministry to launch student tracking system
· The HRD Ministry will launch a student tracking system, Shala Asmita Yojana, next month to track the educational journey of 25 crore school students across 15 lakh schools, both private and government, officials said.
· The programme uses students' Aadhaar numbers to create a database regarding student attendance, enrolment, mid-day meal services, learning outcomes and infrastructural facilities.
$100-m World Bank aid for Karnataka
· The World Bank will provide assistance of $100 million to the Karnataka Urban Water Supply Modernisation project. The loan and project agreements were signed by the Centre and the World Bank.
· “The objective of the project is to provide city-wide access to a continuous piped water supply in the eligible cities in Karnataka and to strengthen the service delivery arrangements at the city level,” said the Finance Ministry in a release.
· The project will have four broad components – capital investment programme, institution building, technical assistance for sector development; and project management, it added.
EU releases $28 mn to help Greece handle refugee crisis
· The European Commission has awarded 25 million euros ($28 million) in emergency funding to the European Asylum Support Office (EASO) to enhance its support to the Greek authorities, a statement said on Tuesday.
· These additional resources will be used to support the implementation of the EU-Turkey resolve and the EU emergency relocation scheme, Xinhua news agency reported.
World leaders join calls for improving global humanitarian situation
· World leaders have joined calls by UN chief Ban Ki-moon for improving the global humanitarian situation through conflict prevention and resolution in the ongoing world humanitarian summit held here on May 23-24.
· The calls also urge better financing, improvement of the conditions of the vulnerable and reduction of the need for humanitarian assistance.
· During the first day of the world humanitarian summit which opened here Monday, world leaders discussed conflict prevention, humanitarian financing, assistance to the vulnerable and ways to reduce the need for aid, at four round-table meetings.
· The UN-backed summit, the first of its kind in the world body's history, brought together some 5,200 participants, including 65 heads of state and government and representatives from the public and private sectors.
London's Night Tube to start running from August
· London's mayor Sadiq Khan has confirmed that London's Night Tube will finally start its services on August 19 this year, almost a year after its original date of operation.
· The service will run all night on Fridays and Saturdays. While the Central and Victoria lines are set to begin first, the Piccadilly, Jubilee and Northern Lines will start in autumn.
Eurozone unlocks €10.3bn bailout loan for Greece
· European officials have agreed to unlock €10.3bn in bailout money for Greece as the International Monetary Fund made a significant climbdown in its demand for upfront debt relief for the recession-hit country.
· Greece’s international creditors emerged from an 11-hour meeting in Brussels at 2am on Wednesday having agreed on steps to ease the burden of Greece’s €321bn (£245bn) debt mountain, worth 180% of annual economic output.
· IndusInd Bank, which has been the settlement bank for e-auction for the Rs 17,000 crore tea industry, is set to lose the status and Rs 8,000 crore business in the process.
· The Tea Board has selected Bank of India as the new settlement bank for pan-India e-auction from sale number 25, which falls on the third week of next month.
· State Bank of India, which handles e-auction of tea for the KOLKATA auction centre, will also lose the status of a settlement bank.
Mahindra drops plans to start payments bank
· Tech Mahindrasaid it was dropping its plans to start a payment bank as the increasing aggression in the business would have eroded its margin potential.
· TechM become the third license winner to pull out of the business. Sun Pharma promoter Dilip Shanghvi and Cholamandalam Investment and Finance Co. had already announced that they would not be setting up the bank.
Bank of India reports Rs.3,587 crore loss in Q4
· State-owned Bank of India has posted a net loss of Rs.3,587 crore for the quarter ended March, more than double of its Rs.1,505 crore loss in the previous quarter.
· In comparison, the bank had reported a Rs.56 crore loss in the year-ago period. Provisions for bad loans rose 142% year-on-year to ₹5,470 crore while gross NPAs ratio jumped to 13.07%.
Toyota invests in Uber to explore ride-sharing
· Toyota announced that it has made a strategic investment in taxi-hailing app Uber to explore ride-sharing collaboration.
· Toyota and Uber will start ride-sharing trials in various countries and let customers cover their Toyota lease payments from earnings as Uber drivers. The companies will also jointly develop in-car apps to support Uber drivers and accelerate their respective research.
Lohia Auto Industries ties up with IndusInd Bank
· Lohia Auto Industries announced its tie up with private sector lender IndusInd Bankfor financing their diesel three wheelers.
· Through this partnership the bank will offer retail finance at an attractive rate of interest to the customers of Lohia Auto for all Lohia 3-wheeler models. This partnership will be able to provide hassle-free loan facility at competitive interest rates to its customers.
· The loan facility will be available across the states of Madhya Pradesh, Haryana, Bihar, Jharkand, Chattisgarh, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Odissa, AP, R&T and Coastal Andhra.
Auto posts 29% rise in profit to Rs.803 cr
· Bajaj Auto on Wednesday reported a 29.1% year-on-year growth in profit after tax to Rs.803.06 crore for the quarter ended March, on the back of strong domestic sales of three wheelers and motorcycles.
· Net sales for the quarter grew by 14.7% Rs.5,303.89 crore. Sales volumes, including exports, rose by 11.5% on a 26% jump in domestic volumes.
Amazon refunds policy change: Returns no longer possible for electronics
· Amazon has changed its returns policy for electronic items like tablets, laptops, desktops, monitors, cameras and camera lenses.
· According to the Amazon policy page if you’ve bought a laptop or tablet or any of the other item in the list on or after May 11, you can’t simply return the product and hope for a full refund. Exchange in case of a defective product still remains.
Pinarayi to take oath as Kerala CM
· Seventy two-year-old Pinarayi Vijayan will be sworn in as chief minister for Kerala, bringing the Left Democratic Front (LDF) back to power after five years.
· Pinarayi will be sworn in along with his 18-member ministry at the central stadium in Thiruvananthapuram, the state capital.
· The Communist Party of India (Marxist)-led LDF won the May 16 assembly election, winning 91 of 140 seats in the state assembly. The incumbent Congress-led United Democratic Front was ousted by the electorate in keeping with the state’s anti-incumbency trend.
Afghan Taliban appoint Mullah Haibatullah Akhundzada as new leader
· The Taliban in Afghanistan have confirmed the death of former leader Mullah Akhtar Mansoor in a US drone strike last week and appointed his successor.
· Mullah Haibatullah Akhundzada, a prominent religious scholar and deputy to the killed leader, will head the militant movement, which has been in disarray since its founder, Mullah Omar, was proclaimed dead last summer.
· The swift selection of a new chief follows a series of meetings in recent days among the core leadership in Quetta, Pakistan, and is probably an attempt to prevent further rifts in the ranks.
FreeCharge names Govind Rajan as CEO
· Snapdeal-owned digital payments platform FreeCharge on Tuesday appointed Govind Rajan as the Chief Executive Officer and elevated Co-Founder and former CEO Kunal Shah as the company's Chairman.
· Rajan joined FreeCharge in 2015 and was the Chief Operating Officer at the company. An alumnus of Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, Rajan has previously worked with Bharti Airtel and Hindustan Unilever.
AWARDS AND HONORS:
Sikkim CM Pawan Chamling conferred with Nepal’s Yugkavi Siddhicharan Prize
· Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Chamling was on 22 May 2016 conferred with the Yugkavi Siddhicharan Prize by Nepal Prime Minister K P Sharma Oli.
· The prestigious literary prize was bestowed upon him for his commendable contributions in promoting Nepali literature in India.
· The prize was presented on the occasion of 105th birth anniversary of the late poet Siddhicharan Shrestha. It carries a certificate of appreciation and a sum of 100000 Nepali Rupees.
MoU AGREEMENTS SIGNED
HAL signs pact with BEL to develop airborne communication
· Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) today said it has signed a pact with Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) for developing advanced airborne communication and electronic warfare systems.
· D K Venkatesh, Director (Engg and R&D) HAL and A T Kalghatgi, Director (R&D) of BEL signed the MoU in the presence of T Suvarna Raju, CMD, HAL and S K Sharma, CMD, BEL in New Delhi.
BHEL commissions 800 MW supercritical thermal unit in Karnataka
· State-run BHEL today said it has commissioned the first 800 MW supercritical thermal unit in Raichur, Karnataka.
· The unit has been commissioned at the 2x800 MW Yeramarus Thermal Power Station (TPS) located in Raichur district of Karnataka, Bharat Heavy ElectricalsLimited (BHEL) said in a statement.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
Scientist develops flying microrobots 'RoboBees' to help build better drones
· By taking an inspiration from nature, scientists have developed a new type of flying microrobots called 'RoboBees' to help build better drones in future.
· This new flying microrobots can rest during flight like bats, birds or butterflies to save energy and stay in the air for long durations and will help develop future drones.
· Moritz Graule, lead author from Harvard University said that many applications for small drones require them to stay in the air for extended periods.
World's first 3D-printed building opens in Dubai
· The world's first 3D-printed building, a single storey office spread across 2,700 square foot, opened in Dubai this week.
· The arc-shaped office building used a 20-foot tall 3D printer and a special mixture of cement to be built. Located near the Dubai International Financial Center, the building was completed in 17 days at a cost of about $140,000.
Google aims to kill passwords by the end of this year
· Google will begin testing an alternative to passwords next month, in a move that could do away with complicated logins for good.
· The new feature, introduced to developers at the company’s I/O conference, is called the Trust API, and will initially be tested with “several very large financial institutions” in June, according to Google’s Daniel Kaufman.
· Kaufman is the head of Google’s Advanced Technology and Projects group, where the Trust API was first created under the codename Project Abacus. Introduced last year, Abacus aims to kill passwords not through one super-secure replacement, but by mixing together multiple weaker indicators into one solid piece of evidence that you are who you say you are.
· The XS-1 is a space plane under development by the U.S. military's high-tech agency, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).
· The major goal of the project is to reuse the spacecraft frequently, with a proposed launch rate of 10 missions in just 10 days.
· DARPA's concept follows decades of reusability dreams by space advocates.
· The space shuttle is the most famous operational attempt at reusability, but that system could only be partially recycled.
179 Kashmiri youth join Indian Army
· Army said 179 youths of Kashmir donned the olive uniform and joined India Army here at Rangreth and pledged their lives to the service of the Nation.
· A defence spokesman said in an impressive passing-out-parade held at the Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry Regimental Centre at Rangreth, 179 smartly turned out recruits of the course serial 105, became soldiers amidst thunderous applause of over 2500 spectators that included the parents and relatives of the young soldiers besides other officials from Army and Civil Administration.
· Lt Gen SK Saini has taken over as the 46th Commandant of the Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehradun. A highly decorated soldier, Lt Gen Saini, an alumni of the National Defence Academy (NDA) and the Indian Military Academy (IMA), was commissioned into the 7th Battalion of the Jat Regiment in June 1981.
· Lt Gen Saini is a graduate of the National Defence College, Bangladesh, where he won the prize for authoring the best research paper. He has the distinction of holding three masters degrees in defence and strategic studies.
Squash players Dipika Pallikal, Joshna Chinappa enter quarters in Hong Kong
· India's leading squash players Joshna Chinappa and Dipika Pallikal won their opening round matches to reach the quarterfinals of the PSA HKFC International here today.
· Joshna, India's highest ranked player at 13, beat Egyptian qualifier Salma Hany 11-8, 11-7, 6-11, 11-8 in a match lasting 37 minutes.
· Ab de Villiers played a breathtaking knock to singlehandedly lead Royal Challengers Bangalore fightback and take them into the Indian Premier League final with a thrilling four wicket win over Gujarat Lions in Qualifier 1 here today.
· Chasing 159, RCB looked down and out at 29 for five before de Villiers smashed 79 off 47 balls to script a sensational comeback and take the team home in 18.2 overs. The Lions were outdone by one man's class as the efforts of Dhawal Kulkarani and Dwayne Smith went vain.
· Ten years on from Liverpool's Champions League win over AC Milan in Istanbul Press Association Sport looks at what was said in the aftermath of such a momentous occasion.
· Facing AC Milan in the Champions League final at Istanbul, Liverpool came from behind to win their fifth CL title, for the night of May 25, 2005 to be termed as the 'Miracle of Istanbul'.
· Trailing 0-3 at half-time, Liverpool produced three goals in six minutes, forcing extra-time, which witnessed no goals, only for Liverpool to win 3-2 on penalties.
· Renowned Pink Panther star Burt Kwouk passed away on 24 May 2016. He was 85. He is survived by his wife Caroline Tebbs and a son.
· He was best known for playing Inspector Clouseau's manservant Cato in the Pink Panther films.
Tamil Nadu: Newly elected AIADMK MLA passes away
· SM Seenivel, the newly elected AIADMK MLA from Thirupuramkundram constituency in Tamil Nadu, passed away today at the age of 65.
· He was recovering from a stroke at a private hospital in Madurai. Seenivel, whose death rumours surfaced on social media, is survived by his wife, three daughters, and a son.
For More Daily Current Affairs Updates-