Daily Current Affairs Updates– 4th May 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
· Coal Miners Day
· International Firefghters day
· Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu launched e-enabled application, Project Management & Information System (PMIS) at Rail Bhawan in New Delhi.
· The application will used for proper monitoring of all the Railway projects throughout the country.
Piyush Goyal to unveil portal on payment to contract workers:
· Coal and Power Minister Piyush Goyal will introduce a new portal for Contract Labour Payment Management System.
· The Web portal is created for monitoring compliance of labour payment and other benefits to contract workers under the Contract Labour (Regulation & Abolition) Act, 1970.
· The portal provides access to all contract workers through a Workers Identification Number to view their personal details and payment status. Contract workers can also register their grievances through this portal.
· The Central Mine Planning and Development Institute (CMPDI), the consultancy arm of CIL, will maintain the portal.
· Ghar Sodhon: A room disinfectant for silkworm rearing houses and appliances.
· It came in news after the National Research Development Corporation (NRDC), under the Union Ministry of Science & Technology inked licence agreements with M/s Nabagram Resham Shilpa Unnayan Cooperative Society Ltd and M/s Dariapur Rural Development Society, Kalia Chak of West Bengal for the commercialization of Ghar Sodhon.
Union Commerce Ministry launched EXIM Analytics Dashboard for export, import data:
· Minister of State (I/C) for Commerce and Industry Nirmala Sitharaman launched EXIM Analytics Dashboard to provide an easy access to detailed trade data of the country.
· This web-based dashboard will provide an accurate perspective to the general public on the facts around the trade performance in India.
· The portal developed by the Directorate General of Commercial Intelligence and Statistics, at the instance of the Ministry would provide data graphically exposing patterns, trends and correlations that might go undetected in text based data.
· The Madhya Pradesh government will launch Nagaroday Abhiyan on the lines of Gramoday Se Bharat Uday Abhiyan in the state in July-August.
· Announcing this in a function in Bhopal last evening, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said that the campaign will focus on welfare of the people and development of urban localities.
· Mr. Chouhan said that slum dwellers will be given pucca houses and the places where poor people live will be made slum-free gradually.
Arun Jaitley to leave for Frankfurt today to attend ADB meet:
· Finance Minister Arun Jaitley will leave today for an official visit to Frankfurt to attend the annual meeting of the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
· In his speech at the First Business Session of ADB, Mr Jaitley will focus on performance of the Indian economy in global slowdown and also highlight micro and macroeconomic indicators of the economy.
· Mr Jaitley will also meet Finance Minister of Bhutan Lyonpo Namgay Dorji, and discuss about economic assistance packages to Bhutan, progress of work of hydro power projects funded by India and sub-regional co-operation in the region.
· The 49th Annual General Meeting of Asian Development Bank is being held from 2 to 5 of this month at Frankfurt, Germany.
· The Telangana government today decided to set up a memorial in Hyderabad for those who sacrificed their lives for the cause of a separate state, said the Chief Minister's Office.
· The memorial would come up at Hussain Sagar Lake, and Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao is expected to lay its foundation stone on June 2 (Telangana Formation Day).
India ranks 137 of 210 in access to electricity:
· According to SocialCops' analysis of World Bank data, India ranks 137th of 210 countries on electrification with 78.7% of its population having access to electricity.
· There are 87 countries with 100% access to electricity, 40 countries with 90-99%, and 6 countries with 80-89%. Notably, of the bottom 20 countries (with 0-22% access to electricity), 18 are in Africa.
· World Wildlife Fund (WWF) released a report titled ‘Protecting people through nature’ with the subtitle ‘Natural world heritage sites as Drivers of sustainable development.’ The report was launched in April 2016.
· The report says that nearly half of the iconic 229 natural and mixed World Heritage sites in 96 countries around the world, including Western Ghats, face significant threats.
· Further, the iconic symbols of conservation are facing threats to their unique values, putting the livelihoods and well-being of people who depend on them at risk.
Donald Trump wins Indiana primary; Cruz drops out of Republican race:
· Ted Cruz has announced he is ending his campaign for the US Republican presidential nomination, after losing heavily to Donald Trump in the Indiana primary.
· Cruz's departure means that Ohio Governor John Kasich is the only candidate who remains in the race to challenge Trump. But Mr Trump is almost certain to be the Republican nominee.
· On the Democratic side, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders has been projected as winner by 53.2 per cent to 46.8 per cent over former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in a close race.
· Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors from Japan, China, South Korea and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations have agreed on the need to address downside risks to global economic development.
· In a joint statement issued at a meeting in Frankfurt, Germany, they said the countries are expected to maintain relatively high level of economic growth and be a driving force in the global economy.
Kishore Biyani appointed as Managing Director of Bharti Retail:
· Future Group's Chief Executive Kishore Biyani was appointed Managing Director (MD) of Bharti Retail.
· Biyani had resigned from Future Retail Ltd, one of the group’s largest listed retail companies, which operates Big Bazaar and Food Bazaar. However, he will continue to hold office as non-executive director of Future Retail Ltd.
· Besides, Rakesh Biyani, who is also a Director at Future Group, has also been appointed as Joint Managing Director of Bharti Retail, which will be later renamed as Future Retail Ltd and listed on stock exchanges.
· Sameer Chadha was appointed as the partner and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of KPMG's offshore arm in India.
· Chadha joined KPMG Global Services (KGS) from Barclays Shared Services, where he was the Chief Executive Officer.
Ferrari names Fiat Chrysler's chief as its CEO:
· Italian sports car manufacturer Ferrari on Monday appointed its Chairman Sergio Marchionne as the new CEO with "immediate effect", adding yet another title for the Italian-Canadian manager, who also runs Fiat Chrysler.
· Marchionne replaced 69-year-old Amedeo Felisa, who retired from his post when the carmaker's board of directors met to discuss the first-quarter results, the company said.
· Inaugural Indian Super League (ISL) champions, Atletico de Kolkata, announced the appointment of former Villareal coach Jose Francisco Molina Jimenez as their Head Coach for ISL-2016.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
Amitabh, Kangana receive National Awards:
· Actors Amitabh Bachchan and Kangana Ranaut received National Awards for their roles in 'Piku' and 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' respectively at the 63rd National Film Awards ceremony held in Delhi.
· Meanwhile, veteran actor Manoj Kumar was conferred with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award at the ceremony. The awards were presented to the actors by President Pranab Mukherjee.
· The Guinness World Records recognised businessman cum politician Pankaj Parakh from Maharashtra as the man with "the most expensive gold shirt in the world".
· The gold shirt, which weighs 4.10 kg, is currently valued at over 1.30 crore.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
Google to partner Fiat Chrysler for self-driving:
· Google and Fiat Chrysler have agreed to work together to build a fleet of 100 self-driving minivans.
· Engineers from the two companies will work together to fit Google's autonomous driving technology into Fiat's Pacifica.
· The deal marks the first time that Google has worked directly with an automaker to integrate its self-driving system into a passenger vehicle, the companies said.
· Anil Ambani-led Reliance Power has received in-principle approval from the Bangladesh government for the first phase of a 3,000 MW Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)-based power plant in the country.
· This will be the largest foreign direct investment in Bangladesh with a potential investment of over $1.3 billion, Reliance said.
· Reportedly, the project is scheduled to be commissioned by 2018-19.
Jindal brothers sign 6,500 crore power deal:
· Billionaire Sajjan Jindal-led JSW Energy has agreed to buy a 1,000 MW power plant from his brother Naveen Jindal’s debt-ridden Jindal Steel and Power in a deal valued at up to $976 million (₹6,500 crore), the companies said.
· Jindal Steel's net debt at the end of 2015 stood at ₹46,000 crore, seven times its current market valuation.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· Astronomers discovered three planets which have similar sizes and temperatures those of Venus and Earth, using the TRAPPIST telescope at ESO’s La Silla Observatory.
· They have been found orbiting an ultra-cool dwarf star just 40 light-years from Earth.
· Michael Gillon-led team of astronomers of the University of Liege in Belgium used the TRAPPIST telescope to observe the ultra-cool dwarf star 2MASS J23062928-0502285, now also known as TRAPPIST-1.
Myntra to relaunch desktop site on June 1:
· Fashion e-retailer Myntra, which went app-only a year ago, will relaunch its desktop site on June 1.
· The company said that the main reason for the shift is feedback from consumers, especially women who want to have the option of shopping across channels.
· It expects 15-20% of its sales in the current financial year to come from the desktop website
· England's world number one Mark Selby won World Championship title of Snooker. In the final match played in Sheffield, Selby from Leicester defeated China’s Ding Junhui 18-14.
· This was Selby’s second trophy of the year, earlier he had won minor Gdynia Open event in Poland.
· This was Selby’s second World Snooker title, the first was won against Ronnie O'Sullivan in 2014.
· This win also added his name in the list of Steve Davis, Hendry, John Higgins, Mark Williams and Ronnie O’Sullivan, the stars who have won at least two world titles since the event rocked up in Sheffield in 1977.
Seven Indian shuttlers qualify for Rio Olympics:
· Seven Indian shuttlers have booked their berth for the upcoming Rio Olympics, scheduled in August.
· Of the seven, the list includes two female singles players in Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu, a male singles' player in Kidambi Srikanth, women's doubles pairing of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa while Manu Attri and Sumeeth Reddy make up the male doubles team.
· It is the biggest badminton contingent India would be fielding at the quadrennial Games.
· The 2016 ICC World Twenty20 semi-finalist, New Zealand have jumped up two places in the ICC T20I Rankings to top the table for the first time.
· The Kane Williamson-led side leads second-placed India by 0.21 rating points.
· The two-time World T20 champions, West Indies have moved down to third, ahead of South Africa and England.
India slips to 4th spot in ICC ODI Rankings:
· India dropped down one spot to fourth in the latest ICC ODI Rankings following the annual update.
· The list is currently led by Australia, followed by New Zealand and South Africa. Sri Lanka, England, Bangladesh and West Indies are placed in the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth position respectively, while, Pakistan slipped to the ninth spot.
For More Daily Current Affairs Updates-