Daily Current Affairs Updates–10th June 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
Maharashtra to observe 21st of every month as Yoga Day:
· The Maharashtra government has decided to celebrate the 21st day of every month as Yoga Day across all schools, colleges and universities in the State.
· In the meeting held with various yoga institutions it was also decided that every district would set up a Yoga Day committee to plan a Yoga Mahostav called Yoga Festival every year in between January 12-21. \Also a dedicated state-level committee will monitor and coordinate with these committees.
· On January 12 is celebrated as Youth Day to commemorate Swami Vivekanand’s birthday, So during 10 days from January 12 to 21, all schools and colleges will have to organise the Yoga festival.
Centre announces new Print Media Advertisement policy:
· Information and Broadcasting ministry today framed a New Print Media Advertisement Policy for Directorate of Advertising and Visual Publicity (DAVP) with the objective to promote transparency and accountability in issuing of advertisements in print media.
· The policy focuses on streamlining release of Government advertisements and to also promote equity and fairness among various categories of newspapers and periodicals.
· The policy has classified newspaper and journals into three categories namely small, that is upto 25,000 copies, medium between 25,001 and 75,000 copies and big, 75,000 copies or more, per publishing day.
· DAVP is the nodal agency of the Government of India for advertising on behalf of various Ministries and Departments which are funded by the government.
Nepal's Deputy PM to arrive New Delhi for three-day visit:
· Nepal's Deputy Prime Minister Kamal Thapa will arrive in New Delhi on a three-day visit to India, during which he will hold talks with External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on a range of bilateral issues.
· Mr Thapa, who is also Nepal's Foreign Minister, will attend the convocation of the South Asian University in New Delhi tomorrow. This will be Thapa's fourth visit to India since he assumed office in October last year.
Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu flags off Champaran Satyagrah Express train in Bihar:
· In Bihar, Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu today flagged off Champaran Satyagrah Express train at a function in Motihari.
· This train will run between Bapudham, Motihari to Anand VIhar, Delhi.
· The Minister also inaugurated Banmankhi - Purnea rail section and Pipraha Railway Station.
· Mr. Prabhu also inaugurated road over bridges at Motihar, Begusarai and Danapur through video conferencing.
Venkaiah Naidu launches ‘Swachh Map’ app of Rajkot civic body:
· Union Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu launched a ‘Swachh Map’ mobile application of the Rajkot Municipal Corporation (RMC),Gujarat that will enable residents to register complaints of sanitation by sending photos using it.
· The city in the Saurashtra region was ranked 7th in clean cities.
Food Ministry proposes 25% duty on sugar export:
· Food Ministry has proposed to impose 25 per cent duty on export of sugar to ensure sufficient supply in the domestic market.
· The Ministry has proposed to levy 25 per cent custom duty on export of sugar to keep the export of the sweetener in control.
· Mr Paswan said, this move will keep sufficient availability of sugar in domestic market and the price will be under control.
· Retail sugar prices had crossed 40 rupees per kg last month due to eleven per cent fall in domestic sugar output in the ongoing 2015-16 season.
Central Railway to issue safety warnings via SMS:
· The Central Railway (CR) has decided to issue safety warnings to train commuters about unmanned railway crossings through text messages.
· The messages will be sent in English, Hindi, and Marathi. CR has nearly 325 unmanned railway crossings in all of its five divisions.
NIIF, Qatar Investment Authority signed MoU to facilitate investment in Indian infrastructure sector:
· The National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) Ltd. signed a MoU with the Qatar Investment Authority (QIA) to facilitate investment in Indian infrastructure sector.
· The Memorandum of Understanding was signed in Doha during the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Qatar.
ADB approves $100 million loan for irrigation system in Tamil Nadu:
· The multilateral lending agency Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved 100 million dollars loan to strengthen a key irrigation system and improve water management in the Vennar sub-basin of Cauvery Delta in Tamil Nadu.
· The loan funds seeks to Support both physical improvements and stronger water management to give significant boost to the lives of coastal communities who do not have sufficient irrigation water Strengthen the embankments of six major irrigation water channels in Vennar system to make them more resilient to floods.
Peru election: Pedro Pablo Kuczynski wins majority of votes:
· In Peru, with all votes counted, the economist Pedro Pablo Kuczynski appears to have won the majority of votes in cliff hanger presidential election.
· The electoral commission said he received 50.12 per cent of votes, against 49.88 per cent for his rival, Keiko Fujimori.
· About 50 thousands ballots must first be settled by an electoral court before a winner can be officially declared.
· Ms Fujimori has yet to concede, but Mr Kuczynski tweeted his thanks to the Peruvian people. This has been the tightest fought election in Peru in five decades.
NATO launches biggest ever Joint Military Exercise Anaconda-16 in Poland:
· The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) members and partners launched Anaconda-16 Exercise, the biggest ever joint military exercise in Poland.
· The drill is part of NATO's exercise program and is being held just weeks before NATO's summit in Warsaw that is expected to decide that significant numbers of NATO troops and equipment will be based in Poland and in the Baltic states.
· The exercise was launched at the crucial time when central and eastern European nations are seeking strong security guarantees amid concerns about Russia.
Russia unveils indigenous passenger plane:
· Russia unveiled a medium-range passenger aircraft, manufactured by a subsidiary of state-controlled United Aircraft Corporation.
· The company said that the aircraft would be 15% cheaper to operate than other current generation aircraft.
· The plane, called MC-21, will begin serial production next year and contracts with multiple domestic and foreign airlines have been reportedly agreed.
India-US ink six agreements:
· India and the United States (US) have signed six agreements to enhance bilateral cooperation in various fields.
· These agreements were signed after wide range of bilateral talks between Prime Minster Narendra Modi and US President Barack Obama in Washington.
· The agreements were signed in Terrorist Screening Information Clean Energy and Climate Change, cooperation on Energy Security among others.
Pakistan tops in 2016 Malware Infection Index:
· Pakistan has topped in the list of 19 countries figuring in the 2016 Malware Infection Index (MII) in the Asia-Pacific region.
· The index for the Asia-Pacific region was released by technology giant Microsoft in which India was placed at 8th position.
· More than 40% of computers in the 19 countries in Asia-Pacific region are infected against the global average being around 20%.
Rama Mohana Rao named TN Chief Secretary:
· Senior IAS officer Rama Mohan Rao has been appointed as the Chief Rama Mohana Rao Secretary of Tamil Nadu he will fill the shoes of K. Gnanadesikan.
· The newly appointed Rao would also hold full additional charge of Vigilance Comissioner and Commissioner for Administrative Reforms.
· Erstwhile chief secretary Gnanadesikan would be appointed as the chairman and managing director of Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation.
Major General Per Lodin appointed head of UN Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP):
· UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon has appointed Swedish Major General and logistics expert Per Lodin, to head the UN Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan.
· He will succeed Major General Delali Johnson Sakyi of Ghana, who is completing his two-year assignment this july.
· Currently Lodin is the head of procurement Strategic Material Management at Forsvarets materielverk (FMV), the Swedish defence and logistics arm.
· Lodin had also served as the head of the task force centre of Kosovo Force multi-national peacekeeping mission led by NATO.
G Kalyanakrishnan took over as Chief Executive of Nuclear Fuel Complex:
· Distinguished scientist G Kalyanakrishnan took over as Chief Executive of Nuclear Fuel Complex (NFC), Hyderabad.
· Kalyanakrishnan succeeds N Saibaba, who has retired on completion of two years of extended period of service.
· Kalyanakrishnan will also be the Chairman of the NFC Board.
MTNL CMD Narendra Kumar Yadav steps down:
· New Delhi based State-run firm MTNL Chairman and Managing Director Narendra Kumar Yadav has resigned on completion of his tenure.
· The telecommunications company’s Director P K Purwar has been given the additional charge of the CMD’s post.
· The telecom major which has operations in Delhi and Mumbai circles and in the island nation of Mauritius in Africa.
Axis Bank launches India’s first certified green bond at London Stock Exchange:
· Axis Bank has launched India’s first internationally-listed certified green bond to finance climate change solutions around the world at London Stock Exchange (LSE).
· The proceeds of the bond will be invested by Axis Bank in green energy, transportation and infrastructure projects.
· It will play important role in reinforcing India’s commitment to produce 175,000 MW of renewable power by 2022.
· The green bonds of Axis Bank were certified by the Climate Bonds Standards Board.
· This is the first green bond of Axis Bank issued within its 5 billion dollars Medium Term Note (MTN) programme, which has also has been listed entirely on LSE.
AWARDS AND HONORS:
Sheryl Sandberg most powerful woman in tech: Forbes
· For the fifth consecutive year, Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg has been named the most powerful woman in technology on the Forbes’ 100 Most Powerful Women list, placing at No. 7 on the list overall.
· After Sandberg, YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki (No. 8 overall) took the No. 2 spot in tech followed in quick succession by HP CEO Meg Whitman (No. 9), IBM CEO Virginia “Ginni” Rometty (No. 11), Apple Senior VP Angela Ahrendts (No. 15), Oracle co-CEO Safra Catz (No. 20), Alphabet CFO Ruth Porat (No. 27) and Ursula Burns (No. 34), the CEO of Xerox since 2009.
· Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer (No. 55), down the list 33 spots, is currently overseeing a sale of the embattled tech pioneer’s core business amid falling traffic and ad revenue.
Two Indian-Americans shortlisted for WH Fellows programme:
· Two Indian-Americans have been named finalists for the prestigious White House Fellows programme that offers first-hand experience of working at the highest levels of the US federal government.
· Tina Shah, a physician from the University of Chicago and Anjali Tripathi, an astrophysics Ph.D candidate at Harvard University, have been shortlisted for the Programme, the White House said.
· The National Finalists will be evaluated by the President's Commission on White House Fellowships in Washington, DC from June 9-12, a media release said.
Ridley Scott to receive American Cinematheque Award:
· English Director Ridley Scott will be honoured with the 30th American Cinematheque Award at the Beverly Hilton.
· Scott was the unanimous choice of the Cinematheque Board of Directors selection committee.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
Google, Tata Trusts launch `Internet Sathi’ in West Bengal to empower rural women:
· Search giant Google India and Tata Trusts jointly launched Internet Saathi program google in West Bengal to focus on training women and larger communities in the state to learn and explore various uses and benefits of the Internet.
· This initiative is part of Google’s Helping Women Get Online campaign to create awareness about the benefits of Internet among women in rural parts of India.
· Internet Saathi launched in July last year that has trained and benefited over 2 lakh women across villages in Rajasthan, Gujarat, Jharkhand, Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
· In West Bengal, the initiative will initially be rolled out to cover over 400 villages in Purulia district with an objective to reach 1 lakh women, the companies said in a joint statement.
IIIT-B, IIMB sign pact to offer tech, management expertise to start-ups:
· The International Institute of Information Technology Bangalore (IIIT-B) and the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) have entered into a MoU with the aim of sharing their expertise in the areas of technology and management, respectively, with the start-ups being incubated in their respective innovation centres.
Granules India arm inks pact with US Pharma Windlas:
· Granules Pharmaceuticals Inc. (GPI), a wholly owned subsidiary of Granules India Ltd, has acquired exclusive rights from USpharma Windlas, LLC to market and distribute four products in the USA.
· USpharma Windlas, through its subsidiaries, holds Abbreviated New Drug Applications (ANDAs) for Fingolimod, Prasugrel, Dronedarone and Lurasidone.
· According to IMS Health data, the annual US sales for the above four products are approximately $4.4 billion.
Crude oil futures surge to Rs. 3,432 per barrel:
· Crude oil surged 1.06% to Rs. 3,432 per barrel at the futures market as speculators engaged in creating speculative positions, taking positive cues from Asian markets.
· At the Multi Commodity Exchange, crude oil for delivery in June was trading higher by Rs. 36 or 1.06% to Rs. 3,432 per barrel in a business turnover of 2,608 lots.
US company, 8minutenergy, to build 4 GW of solar capacity in India:
· A US renewable energy company, 8minutenergy Renewables LLC, will set up 4 GW of solar power capacity in India, according to a statement from the White House.
Paytm to use Infosys Finacle for payments bank:
· To meet its ambitious target of achieving 50 crore users for its yet-to-be approved payments bank, Paytm has brought in Infosys to deploy its Finacle Core Banking Solution.
· Paytm, which is a mobile commerce platform, will use Finacle platform for its deposit products and payments platform, enabling it to rapidly roll out innovative offerings.
TI Cycles opens 105-cr unit in Punjab:
· TI Cycles of India, part of the Murugappa Group company Tube Investments of India, has launched its new bicycle production unit in Punjab.
· The 105-crore project has come up at Rajpura to address the demand in the North and East Indian markets.
· The factory will have a capacity to produce 2.50 lakh bicycles a month.
SBI ties up with Jain Farm to extend loans to farmers associated with co:
· State Bank of India has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Jain Farm Fresh Foods Ltd (a subsidiary of Jain Irrigation Systems Ltd) to help farmers associated with the latter to avail of finance against receivables due from the company.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
Lenovo partners with Project Tango chipmaker Movidius ahead of Tech World Conference:
· Ahead of the Lenovo’s Tech World conference, which starts on June 9 night in San Francisco, the company has announced a partnership with VR chipmaker Movidius.
· Lenovo is expected to showcase its new Project Tango smartphone at the conference as well, ahead of a possible launch in July.
YouTube launches Smart Offline feature in India:
· YouTube launched a feature called 'Smart Offline' in India to let users take advantage of cheaper data rates charged by mobile operators at night.
· This feature lets users schedule their offline video downloads for night using a new 'Save overnight' option when discounted data plans are active.
· Scheduled videos can be watched offline in the morning without buffering
Tamil Nadu teen IM Visakh becomes first Indian to win Mayor's chess:
· Tamil Nadu teenager and International Master NR Visakh created history by becoming the first Indian to clinch the Mumbai Mayor's International Open Chess Tournament and lead a top-three sweep in Mumbai.
· The 17-year-old International Master drew his final round match with fellow-Indian and GM Diptayan Ghosh and was tied for the top place on 8 points with Ghosh and Chandigarh's Himal Gusain in a three-way tie.
· The arbiters declared Visakh (ELO 2400) as the champion on a better tie-break as he reached a draw with Ghosh in 16 moves.
· Visakh thus emerged as the first Indian to capture the title in its nine-year history and won 3 lakh rupees, while Ghosh took home 2 lakh rupees and Gusain 1 lakh rupees. Five other Indians also finished among the 8 players in joint second place.
Former Kerala Assembly Speaker T S John passed away
· Former minister, speaker and Kerala Congress (Secular) Party leader T S john has former-kerala-as breathed his last at a private hospital at Chertala in Alapuzha Kerala. He was 76 year old.
· John was founder member of Kerala Congress, he represented Kallooppara constituency in the State Assembly four times. He served as the Speaker for one year period during 1976-77.
· He was the Civil Supplies minister in A K Antony cabinet in 1978. He held the same portfolio in the succeeding ministry later.
For More Daily Current Affairs Updates- Click Here