Daily Current Affairs Updates–18th June 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
· International Picnic Day
· Autistic Pride Day
President returns home after concluding his three nation visit:
· President Pranab Mukherjee returned home after a six day visit to Ghana, Ivory Coast and Namibia where he met top leaders of these countries and inked important agreements.
· He reiterated India’s commitment to deepen ties and cooperation with all African countries.
India scripts history as IAF inducts 3 women fighter pilots:
· Three women flight cadets made history today as they were commissioned as fighter pilots in the Indian Air Force for the first time ever.
· Bhawana Kanth, Avani Chatuvedi and Mohana Singh were commissioned in presence of Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar at a ceremony at the Air Force Academy, Dundigal on the outskirts of Hyderabad.
· Earlier, the defence minister conferred President's Commission behalf of the President of India, on flying Cadets Avani Chaturvedi from Madhya Pradesh, Bhawana Kanth from Bihar anwd Mohana Singh from Gujarat and 126 others and commissioned into service on their successful completion of various graduation courses conducted by the Indian Air Force and the Navy.
PM Modi, Lankan President dedicate Duraiappah Stadium to Sri Lankan people:
· Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena jointly dedicated to the people of Sri Lanka, the newly renovated Duraiappah Stadium in Jaffna.
· President Sirisena was present at the stadium in Jaffna and Prime Minister Modi joined the event through video-conferencing from New Delhi.
· The Stadium, named after of former Mayor of Jaffna, late Alfred Thambirajah Duraiappah, has been renovated by India at a cost of over seven crore rupees.
· It has a seating capacity of 1850 and will provide the necessary infrastructure to promote sports and recreational activities, and assist the overall development of the youth of the Northern Province in Sri Lanka.
Government clears Rs. 300 Crore under Swadesh Darshan scheme:
· The Centre has cleared Rs.300 crore for the makeover of Ramayana and Krishna circuits of Uttar Pradesh under the Swadesh Darshan scheme, aiming to develop theme based tourist circuits in the country.
· Under the Ramayana circuit, 11 destinations spread across six states, including Ayodhya, and under the Krishna circuit, 12 destinations spread across five states, comprising Dwarka, were proposed.
NCERT to organise 3-day 'Yoga Olympiad' from tomorrow:
· After science and mathematics Olympiad, the NCERT is set to organise the first ever 'Yoga Olympiad' for all government and government-aided schools students ahead of the International Yoga Day on June 21.
· NCERT Director Hrushikesh Senapaty told reporters in New Delhi that three-day event will begin today and culminate on the eve of the International Yoga Day with an award ceremony to be attended by HRD minister Smriti Irani.
· Theme of the Olympiad is 'Yoga for Health and Harmony'.
States resolve to provide 24x7 power to everyone by Mar 2019:
· Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal has said all the states have resolved to provide round-the-clock power supply to every household by March 2019.
· Mr Goyal said all the states except Left-Wing-Extremism-affected ones, also resolved to electrify all the remaining un-electrified villages by December 31, 2016.
· He was talking to media persons after attending a two-day conference of power and mining ministers of states and union territories in Panaji.
· The Power Minister also announced the launch of the helpline '1912' for redressal of consumer's complaints across the country.
Government decides to allow export of 10% missile systems to friendly countries:
· Government has decided in principle to allow export of missile systems to 'certain' countries who have friendly relationship with India.
· Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said the government had taken a very conscious decision that 10 per cent of the missile capacity will be permitted to be exported if producers manage to get export orders subject to parameters set by the union government and External Affairs Ministry.
· Earlier, Parrikar flagged off the inaugural flight of India's indigenous basic trainer aircraft HTT 40 designed and developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited.
Odisha to invest Rs.1,000 Crore for skill development:
· While inaugurating the Odisha Skill Development Authority (OSDA), the state's Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik said his government will invest Rs.1,000 crore over the next three years towards skill development.
· The funds will be used for setting up of eight advanced skill development centres, besides upgrading existing institutes in order to train eight lakh individuals, he added.
Jammu &Kashmir to develop new travel destinations:
· The Jammu and Kashmir Tourism Board is planning to give tourism a boost by developing new destinations within the state.
· The government allocated 14 new places to be developed into tourist destinations.
· Under the initiative, places like Toosa Maidan and Bungus Valley would be turned into eco-tourism destinations and locals would be trained to host tourists, boosting residents' livelihood.
· US's Dow Chemicals became the first foreign company to receive a trading license from Saudi Arabia as the kingdom plans to diversify its economy and reduce its dependence on oil exports amid a slump in global oil prices.
· The trading license will give the company 100% ownership in the country's trading sector, as per the government's new reform plan.
India, South Korea launch platform to promote investments:
· India and South Korea today launched a platform to promote and facilitate investments from the east Asian country.
· The platform 'Korea Plus' was launched by Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and her South Korean counterpart Joo Hyunghwan in New Delhi.
· Korea Plus comprises a representative each from the South Korean Ministry of Industry, Trade and Energy and Korea Trade Investment and Promotion Agency (KOTRA).
· Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that India and Thailand will increase their cooperation in tackling terrorism, human trafficking, transnational economic offences, and narcotics.
Rio declares financial emergency, requests funding for Olympics:
· In Brazil, State of Rio de Janeiro has declared a financial emergency less than 50 days before the Olympics.
· Interim Governor Francisco Dornelles says the serious economic crisis threatens to stop the state from honouring commitments for the games.
· The Governor has blamed the crisis on a tax shortfall, especially from the oil industry, while Brazil overall has faced a deep recession.
· Interim President Michel Temer has promised significant financial help.
· Thailand Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha visited world famous Mahabodhi temple at Bodh Gaya in Bihar.
· The Thai Prime Minister offered prayer to Lord Buddha and meditated under the pious Peepal tree in the premises of Mahabodhi temple.
· He also visited Thai temple and offered prayer. Mr. Chan-o-cha said his country will extend help for the development of Mahabodhi temple as well as in the field of tourism in Bodh Gaya.
Eurozone approves €7.5 bn in funds for Greece:
· The Eurozone has approved €7.5 billion (about $8.46 billion) in bailout funds for Greece, in what will be the first payment since 2015.
· This will allow the country to meet €3.5 billion in debt repayments to the European Central Bank in July.
· Notably, Greece owes its creditors over €300 billion, approximately 180% of its Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
· Former cricketer and former BJP MP Chetan Chauhan has been named the chairman of the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT).
· Chauhan said that he was chosen because he was an international sportsman and had experience in banking.
· He is currently serving as the vice-president of the Delhi and District Cricket Association, besides being a senior BCCI official.
Soram Sunil sworn-in as first mayor of Imphal:
· Congress councillor Soram Sunil was sworn in as the first mayor of Imphal, the capital city of Manipur.
· Sunil was elected unanimously to the Imphal Municipal Corporation despite objection by the opposition BJP, who boycotted the election.
· With ongoing protests over the implementation of the Inner Line Permit in Manipur, the election was conducted amidst heavy security deployment.
· Government said non resident indians (NRIs) can now open National Pension Savings (NPS) accounts online if they have Aadhaar Card or PAN card.
· Till now, NRIs could open NPS accounts only through paper applications by approaching Bank offices.
· Finance Ministry said through eNPS, a subscriber will be able to open an NPS account from the comfort of his home. They will be able to open NPS accounts both on repatriable and on non-repatriable basis.
· India has the second-largest diaspora in the world, with around 29 million people living in over 200 countries and out of them 25 per cent live in the Gulf countries.
AWARDS AND HONORS:
· Actress Priyanka Chopra has been named "the hottest woman in the world" by the magazine 'Maxim India' as part of its 'Maxim Hot 100' list.
· She has featured on the magazine's June/July cover in a black ensemble.
· Notably, the actress topped the list for the third time as she had earlier taken the number one spot in 2011 and 2013.
Cambodia named World's Best Tourism Destination:
· Cambodia has been named the World’s Best Tourism Destination for 2016 by the 'European Council on Tourism and Trade' (ECTT), an international non-profit organization.
· Over 30 countries participated in the competition for this year's title.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
· Max Life Insurance, Max Financial Services and HDFC Standard Life Insurance have entered into an agreement to evaluate the possible merger of the Max firms with HDFC, the companies said.
· The merger, once it goes through, would be the biggest in the private insurance sector in India.
· Reportedly, the value of the merger is evaluated at Rs.60,000 crore.
CBDT to soon launch e-nivaran for speedy grievance redressal:
· The Central Board of Direct Taxes,CBDT will soon launch an E-Nivaran portal for speedy redresal of taxpayers' grievances.
· After the conclusion of two day Annual Conference of Tax Administrators in New Delhi, the CBDT Chairman Atulesh Jindal said, the portal will be launched for Delhi on a pilot basis within two-three weeks.
· Microsoft was selected as the technical partner to build a mobile Application (app) for Union Human Resources Ministry's SWAYAM (Study Webs of Active-Learning for Young Aspiring Minds) platform.
· The platform will launch 2000 Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC) for over three crore students in 2016.
· Microsoft signed a deal of 38 crore rupees with All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) to build and run the app for three years. Later, it will be taken over by AICTE.
· Microsoft will deploy a team of dedicated people to set up the state-of-the-art application.
India sees highest-ever tea production in FY16:
· India recorded its highest-ever tea production of 1,233 million kg in 2015-16 fiscal.
· Further, the exports during the fiscal crossed the 230 million kg mark for the first time in 35 years after reaching 232.9 million kg (valued at Rs.4,493 crore).
· The surge in exports is attributed to the increased demand from Russia, Iran, Germany, Pakistan, Bangladesh, UAE and Poland.
· The "Biking Queens", an all women biking group, have reached Kohima, Nagaland as part of their ten-nation tour to campaign for women empowerment and gender equality.
· Spreading the message of 'Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao', the team started from Surat and aim at covering 10,000 km in 36 days across the ten countries. They will travel to Myanmar next via Manipur.
India ranks 4th in hacked server list: Kaspersky
· According to a report by software security group Kaspersky, India ranks fourth in the list of hacked servers available for sale on xDedic, an underground marketplace for compromised servers.
· The report said access to 3,488 hacked Indian servers was being sold on xDedic.
· The listed servers grant access to government networks, online banking and payment, and telecom networks, among others
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· China is all set to operationalise the 'exascale supercomputer' by 2020 which will be capable of performing at least a billion billion calculations per second.
· The supercomputer will be named Tianhe -3 and it will be operationalised three years before the US plan to install such computers.
· The development of the ‘exascale supercomputer’ is part of the China’s national plan for the next generation of high performance computers.
· It will be developed during the 13th Five-Year-Plan period (2016-2020).
Snapchat to launch tech-based digital magazine:
· Snapchat will launch Real Life, an online magazine that will publish roughly one technology-related article each weekday, starting from June 27.
· Gurgaon-based travel portal, Yatra.com acquired Bangalore-based auto rickshaw aggregator, mGaadi for an undisclosed amount.
· Founded in 2012, mGaadi is an app-based commuting service from India Drivers Network, a Bangalore-based social enterprise.
· As a part of the deal, mGaadi's employee transportation platform, Cartr along with other technologies will be integrated into Yatra’s products.
· Australia beat India 3-1 in the final of Champions Trophy Hockey tournament in London last night.
· India settled for silver after losing to Australia in penalty shootout.
BCCI to distribute state funds electronically:
· The BCCI will use only electronic methods to distribute funds to all state cricket associations after three Goa Cricket Association officials were arrested over alleged fraud.
· All BCCI payments will be made to designated accounts, with confirmation by the association secretaries and treasurers.
· Counter verification by vendor banks and certification by statutory auditors has also been introduced.
· Former Maharashtra Director General of Police Suryakant Jog passed away in Mumbai last night. Jog (90) was the DGP of the state from 1985 to 1987.
· He was well known as generator of the movement for water conservation, Vasundhara in Amravati.
· Former Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, who was a policeman before joining politics, had worked under Jog.
For More Daily Current Affairs Updates- Click Here