Daily Current Affairs Updates–1st June 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
· World Milk Day
· Global Parents Day
Prime Minister releases National Disaster Management Plan:
· Prime Minister Narendra Modi today released the National Disaster Management Plan (NDMP).
· This is the first ever national Disaster Management plan prepared in the country.
· It will focus on making India disaster resilient and significantly reduce the loss of lives and assets.
· The plan is based on the four priority themes of the Sendai Framework. These include understanding disaster risk, improving the risk governance, investing in disaster risk reduction and disaster preparedness, early warning and building back better in the aftermath of a disaster.
· The plan covers all phases of disaster management, prevention, mitigation, response and recovery. It provides for horizontal and vertical integration among all the agencies and departments of the Government.
Vice President Hamid Ansari to deliver lecture at University in Morocco:
· Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari will deliver a lecture at the Mohammad the 5th University in Moroccan capital, Rabat today.
· Vice President is scheduled to visit Jardin du Menara, the gardens established in the 12th century at the gates of the mountain range in northwestern Africa known as the Atlas Mountains.
· He will also pay a visit to the El Badi Palace, a centuries-old ruined palace located in the city.
· Tomorrow, Mr Ansari will leave for Tunisian capital, Tunis on the final leg of his 2-nation visit. He will call on Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi and meet Prime Minister Habib Essid. Several MoUs are expected to be signed after the talks with the Prime Minister.
· In Madhya Pradesh, the state cabinet has decided to give 6 percent additional dearness allowance to state government staff.
· It will be given from 1st January this year. This increase in DA will also be applicable to pensioners, Adhyapak cadre of Panchayat Raj institutions and local bodies.
Odisha government to create 500 more gram panchayats:
· The Odisha government has decided to create 500 more gram panchayats in addition to the existing 6,234 ahead of the panchayat elections due in February next year.
· Panchayati Raj Minister Arun Kumar Sahoo said gram panchayats will be delimited and, in the process, 500 more panchayats will be created.
· Earlier on May 6, the State Cabinet had approved amendment of Odisha Gram Panchayat Act, 1964, to create more panchayats.
Maharashtra government announces compensation of Rs 5 lakh to next kin of those killed in Pulgaon ammunition depot fire
· Maharashtra government has announced a compensation of 5 lakh rupees to the next kin of those killed and 3 lakh rupees to the injured in the Pulgaon ammunition depot fire.
· Maharashtra Finance Minister and district guardian Sudhir Mungantiwar informed that Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has announced an immediate compensation of rupees five lakh to the kin of those killed and one lakh to those who were injured in the Central Ammunition Depot fire under Chief Minister's Relief Fund of Maharashtra government.
· On the other hand, Public health minister Dr Dipak Sawant assured that Air ambulance will be made available if the need arises to shift the injured to Mumbai for treatment.
· The Assam assembly session began today at Dispur in Guwahati. This is the first session after the BJP led government assumed charge in the state.
· The newly elected legislators took oath today. Pro tem Speaker Phani Bhusan Choudhury administered the oath taking ceremony.
· Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal was the first to take oath. Later, BJP MLA Ranjit Kumar Das was unanimously elected as the Speaker of the 14th Assam Assembly.
· Congratulating the new Speaker, Chief Minister Sarbanand Sonowal hoped that under his leadership the house will able to fulfill the aspirations of the people.
· A former Indian Information Service officer, 51 years old Mr Das has been elected to the assembly from Sorbhog seat in Barpeta district
India tops global slavery index with 18.35 million people enslaved:
· India witnessed of having the highest number of people in the world ensnared in slavery with 18.35 million according to the Global Slavery Index report, which estimated that around 46 million enslaved globally.
· Released by: Australia-based Human rights group Walk Free Foundation.
· Central Government has approved the proposal of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare for enhancing the retirement age of all doctors of the Central Health Service to 65 years.
· To retain the experienced doctors for a longer period & provide quality health services to citizens, particularly the poor.
· The Cabinet will soon approve a Bill to increase the superannuation age of all central government doctors from 60 to 65 years.
· According to the Health Ministry website, there are about 4,000 doctors under the Central Health Service.
Delhi Government Launches ‘DVAT M SEWA’ Mobile App
· Delhi Government has launched ‘DVAT M SEWA’ mobile app through which city traders can register themselves with the VAT department of the state government.
· ‘DVAT M SEWA’ mobile app is launched in order to boost the tax collection.
· This app will ensure VAT registration within 24 hrs of filing request.
· With the help of ‘DVAT M SEWA, VAT inspector’s visit at traders’ business premises will not be required instead traders will have to upload a picture of their business premises in the app only.
· The Union Railways Ministry signed a MoU with Chandigarh-based PEC University of Technology to set up Kalpana Chawla Chair on geospatial technology for her contribution to aerospace engineering.
· This would develop in-house solutions to problems that are otherwise often outsourced to western countries.
· The railways to provide a corpus of Rs 10 crore to the University for the Chair.
National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited (NBCC) to launch Ganga cleaning project in Bihar:
· National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited (NBCC) in the last week of May 2016 announced that it will soon launch a project aimed at cleaning River Ganga in Bihar.
· In December 2015, the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation hired NBCC to carry out the feasibility study and conditional assessment of the river for entry-level activities in Bihar.
· Detailed project reports have been approved the Ministry of Water Resources for three towns.
Key highlights of the project:
· NBCC will undertake cleaning of debris.
· It will construct new ghats and modernise the existing ghats.
· It will repair and clean the river surface.
· It will construct crematorium and public facilities such as toilets.
· It will also set up a village drainage system in order to curb direct discharge into the river.
· Rodrigo Digong Duterte was officially declared to be the president-elect by the parliament of Philippines.
· He won a landslide victory in the presidential election in May 2016, taking about six million votes more than his competitor.
· The joint session of the House of Representatives and the Senate also proclaimed Maria Leonor Leni Robredo as vice-president.
· They both will assume the charge on 30 June 2016 and serve a single six-year term.
Indian Air Force Participation in Exercise Desert Eagle II at UAE:
· A bilateral Air Force exercise between India and United Arab Emirates (UAE) is underway at Al-Dhafra Air Base in UAE from 24 May 16 to 03 Jun 16.
· Ex-Desert Eagle-I with UAE Air Force was held at the same location in Sep 08. Su-30 MkI of the Indian Air Force and Mirage 2000-9, F-16 of UAE Air Force are participating in the exercise.
· These air combat exercises provide exposure towards mission planning and execution in a simulated high threat combat environment besides building up crew confidence and bonhomie with friendly Air Forces of India and United Arab Emirates.
· Jordan’s King Abdullah appointed veteran politician Hani Mulqi as caretaker prime minister after dissolving parliament as its four-year term nears its end, and charged him with organising new elections by October.
· The king accepted the resignation of Prime Minister Abdullah Ensour before appointing Mulqi by royal decree.
· Mulki has held senior government posts in successive administrations. Under the constitutional rules the election must be held within four months.
World’s longest rail tunnel to be inaugurated in Switzerland:
· In Switzerland, the world's longest and deepest rail tunnel, running under the Swiss Alps, will be inaugurated today.
· The 57-kilometer long Gotthard Base Tunnel will connect northern and southern Europe and shorten travel time for many rail routes.
· It overtakes Japan's Seikan tunnel, which measures 53.9 kilometers, as the longest rail tunnel in the world.
· German Chancellor Angela Merkel, French President Francois Hollande and Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi will join Swiss authorities for a ceremonial first run through the tunnel today.
· The UN children's agency, UNICEF, has decided to scale up operations in Greece to support twenty two thousand migrant children.
· The decision was announced after a UNICEF goodwill ambassador singer Nana Mouskouri's visit to migrant facilities.
· According to UNICEF's special coordinator for the refugee crisis in Europe, the organisation will support programmes by the Greek government and other partners.
· Former Delhi Police Commissioner BS Bassi has been appointed the member of Union former-Delhi Public Service Commission which is a Constitutional post, with a five year tenure.
· Union Public Service Commission has a maximum strength of 10 members besides a chairperson with this appointment the Commission is in its full strength.
· Bassi is a 1977 batch IPS officer Arunachal Pradesh-Goa-Mizoram and Union Territories (AGMUT) cadre who had served the police force for almost 40 years.
· Inception: 1926
· Headquarters: New Delhi
· Chairperson: Deepak Gupta
· Bollywood Actor R Madhavan has become the goodwill ambassador of LEPRA India organization that fight against diseases like leprosy and tuberculosis.
· LEPRA India is a non-government organisation working in the fields of leprosy, tuberculosis, malaria, HIV or AIDS and community health.
· It is also known as the Lepra Society.
· Lepra Society was registered in Hyderabad in 1989 and becomes Lepra India Trust in New Delhi in 1996.
· Presently, Lepra Society is working in 54 districts of Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, Bihar and Madhya Pradesh and since its inception has cured 3.6 lakh persons affected by leprosy and treated 67,000 patients with disabilities.
· The New Development Bank of the BRICS countries is set to issue its first yuan-denominated bonds with plans to release more bonds in local currencies including in Indian Rupee.
· The Shanghai-based bank founded by Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS) and headed by eminent Indian banker M V Kamath plans to finance sustainable development projects in the emerging markets and developing countries.
· The bank's first five-year yuan-denominated bonds, also referred as green bonds, will be issued after receiving a rating from international ratings agencies as well as getting authorities' approval.
· More bonds denominated in local currencies of the BRICS countries, including the rupees in India, will be issued if the bank's board and local authorities endorse the project plans, he said.
· The New Development Bank (NDB) is established with initial subscribed capital of 50 billion US dollars with total paid-in capital of 10 billion US dollars.
· The founding members of the NDB have already brought in capital of one billion US dollars as initial contribution.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
· Pope Francis awarded medals to American Hollywood actors Richard Gere and George Clooney and actress Salma Hayek at an event held at the Vatican.
· This award is to promote the work of a foundation inspired by the pontiff, Scholas Occurrentes foundation.
· These actors had agreed to be ambassadors for one of the foundation’s arts projects for the foundation named schools that meet in Spanish, links technology with the arts, aiming at social integration and a cultural of peace.
Aditi Krishnakumar wins 2016 Scholastic Asian Book Award:
· Aditi Krishnakumar, a 31-year-old Indian woman author in Singapore has won the ‘Scholastic Asian Book Award‘ for her 32,000-word manuscript rooted in “love of Indian history”.
· Aditi Krishnakumar won the Singapore dollar 10,000 award for her manuscript “Codex: The Lost Treasure Of The Indus“.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
· Mumbai based Mahindra & Mahindra has signed a brand licence agreement with Italian car designer Pininfarina for using trademarks after closing the deal to acquire 76.06 per cent stake in the company.
· The Vehicle major had announced to acquire Turin-based Pininfarina for an overall outgo of over 50 million Euros after months of negotiations last year. The acquisition was passed out through a special purpose vehicle.
Mahindra & Mahindra
ü Headquarters: Mumbai
ü CEO: Anand Mahindra.
Asia's largest tech trade show COMPUTEX kicks off in Taipei:
· Asia’s largest technology trade show COMPUTEX kicked off in Taipei, attracting more than 1,600 companies from 30 countries to showcase their latest products.
· This is the highest turnout, in terms of the number of nations, in five years.
· The highlight of this year’s show is virtual reality. COMPUTEX will end on June, 4th and organisers expect the event to attract more than 130,000 visitors.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· Quantum communication satellite was in news in the last week of May 2016 as China planned to launch its first experimental satellite in July 2016 according to the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS).
· With this, China will become the first country in the world to send encoded information from space that cannot be intercepted.
· The project will bring revolutionary changes in communications. It includes launch of a satellite and building of four ground stations for quantum communication and one space quantum teleportation experiment station.
For More Daily Current Affairs Updates- Click Here