Daily Current Affairs Updates–30th June 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
DAYS TO REMEMBER:
· The day marks the birth anniversary of late Professor Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis, the Father of Indian Statistics.
· The objective of this Day is to create public awareness about the importance of statistics in planning&policy formulation.
· The 10th Statistics Day 2016 was celebrated on the theme Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare.
Mizoram to celebrate 'Peace Accord Day' today
· The anniversary of the signing of the 1986 Mizo Peace Accord will be celebrated across the state today, for the first time ever in Mizoram.
· The state government has sanctioned Rs.26 lakh for the celebrations that are called 'Remna Ni', across Mizoram.
· The resolution to celebrate the anniversary was taken at the 70th Young Mizo Association General Conference last year.
· The Puducherry government has drawn up a Rs.120 crore plan to build toilets for 55,000 households under the SwachhBharathAbhiyan, Chief Minister V Narayanasamy said.
· He added that the scheme will be jointly implemented by several authorities including municipalities, the District Rural Development Agency, and cooperative building centres by October 2.
Maharashtra, Tata Power to ink pact for 1,000 MW for Mumbai
· Keeping in mind the future power requirements of the Mumbai region, the Maharashtra government plans to sign a MoU with Tata Power for sourcing 1,000 MW from the upcoming Dherand Thermal Project, said Maharashtra’s Power Minister ChandrashekharBawankule.
· Addressing the media at the State Secretariat, he said both power requirement and transmission capacity for the Mumbai region requires further augmentation. The tie-up with Tata Power is a step in that direction.
· Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti launched an e-file tracking system to automate file, correspondence and document tracking within government offices.
· Mufti said, "It…would go a long way in addressing the concerns regarding inordinate delay in disposal of matters of public importance." She asked officers to use the system, implemented at zero cost, to eliminate red-tape.
8 new IITs' cost estimate overshoots by Rs.7,910 cr
· In an official release, the Centre on Wednesday declared that the cost estimate for establishing eight new IITs has overshot by Rs.7,910 crore due to "escalation in both time and cost".
· The Cabinet approved Rs.13,990 crore for the same, as against the original estimate of Rs.6,080 crore.
· The 8 IITs include Bhubaneswar, Gandhinagar, Hyderabad, Indore, Jodhpur, Ropar, Mandi and Patna.
· The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister ShriNarendraModi has approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Tanzania for bilateral cooperation in water resources management and development.
· The areas of enhanced cooperation include techniques in water harvesting, surface and groundwater management and development and aquifer recharge. Collaboration and sharing of expertise on the areas mutually agreed will benefit the country in techniques in water harvesting, water conservation, surface and groundwater management and development, and aquifer recharge.
Tamil Nadu's fiscal deficit highest in India
· Tamil Nadu has the highest fiscal deficit among all states in the country, according to Reserve Bank of India data.
· The state's fiscal deficit of Rs.31,870 crore is higher than that of Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra, which occupy the second and the third place respectively. Notably, fiscal deficit is the difference between the state's expenditure and income.
· India has jumped 19 places in the latest World Bank ranking in the global logistics performance.
· The World Bank in its latest once in two-year Logistics Performance Index (LPI) ranked India 35th as against the 54th spot it occupied in the previous 2014.
· Germany tops the ranking, followed by Luxembourg & Sweden.
· Logistics organises the movement of goods through a network of activities & services
Union Cabinet approves MoU between India and Tanzania
· The Union Cabinet has approved signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Tanzania for bilateral cooperation in water resources management and development.
· Under this MoU, the areas of enhanced cooperation include techniques in water harvesting, groundwater and surface management and development and aquifer recharge.
· The second BRICS Youth Summit will be held in Guwahati from July 1-3 with the theme ‘Youth as bridge for Intra-BRICS Exchanges’.
· The subjects to be covered are skill development and entrepreneurship, social inclusion, youth volunteerism and youth participation in governance.
· The programme for the Summit also includes thematic debates, cultural events, site-visits and interactive sessions with local youth.
· The Youth Summit would also be an occasion to introduce India’s North-East to BRICS youth.
Duterte, 'the punisher', sworn in as Philippines' president
· Rodrigo Duterte was sworn in as the Philippines' 16th president, capping the unlikely journey of a provincial city mayor whose brash man-of-the-people style and pledges to crush crime swamped establishment rivals in last month's election.
· After making his pledge at the presidential palace in Manila, with one hand on the Bible, Duterte delivered a speech in which he promised a "relentless" and "sustained" fight against corruption, criminality and illegal drugs.
· SBI will raise long-term capital of up to $1.5 billion or over Rs 10,000 crore by issuing bonds in US dollar or other convertible currency.
· The Executive Committee of the Central Board in its meeting has approved to raise long term funds up to $1,500 million.
· The fund raising will take place through a public offer & or private placement during 2016-17.
GIC Re profit rises 6 per cent in 2015-16
· General Insurance Corporation of India (GIC Re) reported 6 per cent increase in net profit at Rs.2,848 crore for the financial year ended March 31, 2016, against Rs.2,694 crore in the previous year.
· The national re-insurer, a wholly-owned company of the government, wrote gross global premium of Rs.18,436 crore, up 21.42 per cent over the previous year (Rs.15,184 crore).
· The premium split between the domestic and the overseas business during 2015-16 was 55 per cent (57 per cent last year) and 45 per cent (43 per cent), respectively.
· Private sector lender Axis Bank launched an innovation lab to hone start-ups and announced that it will create a dedicated fund to invest in these new-age companies that would benefit its business.
· The bank launched the 10,000 sqft lab at Bengaluru with an in-house innovation team, which will host a three-month accelerator programme where companies will get mentored.
· Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) entered into a strategic partnership with The Energy & Resources Institute (TERI) for two years.
· As per MoU, both organizations have decided to work jointly for the achievement of common goals & objectives related to energy efficiency.
· The MoU was signed in the presence of Union Minister of Power, Coal & New & Renewable Energy ShriPiyushGoyal.
Amul signs up as official sponsor of Indian team to the Olympics
· India’s leading food products companyAmul has signed up as the official sponsor for the Indian contingent to the Rio Olympics 2016.
· The company will launch a series of advertising campaigns for milk and other dairy products to promote this association.
· In addition, the company’s products will also sport special branding to promote this association.
· Amul has embarked upon an ‘Eat Milk with Every Meal’ campaign.
· Standard Chartered Bank unveiled its ‘Touch ID’ innovation on its mobile banking platform, ‘SC Mobile’.
· This feature is designed to enhance the user experience of the Bank’s customers as they have the option of using Touch ID as a replacement for having to type out their username and password to log onto the SC Mobile banking platform.
· CPI’s V Sasi was elected Deputy Speaker of the 14th Kerala Assembly.
· While Sasi polled 90 votes, Opposition UDF candidate I C Balakrishnan garnered 45 votes in the voting.
· Speaker P Sreeramakrishnan did not exercise his franchise.
· Sasi is the two-time MLA from Chirayankeezhu constituency in the Assembly & was earlier a member of the Travancore Devaswom Board.
Nand Kishore appointed Dy CAG
· Senior bureaucrat Nand Kishore was today appointed as Deputy Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG).
· Kishore, a 1981 batch officer of Indian Audit and Account Service, is presently Additional Deputy Comptroller and Auditor General.
· The Appointments Committee of Cabinet has approved Kishore's appointment as Dy CAG in the rank and pay of Secretary to government of India with effect from September 1, 2016, an order issued by Department of Personnel and Training said.
· Suzuki Motor Corp said its board has appointed Toshihiro Suzuki, son of Chairman Osamu Suzuki, as its next chief executive effective the same day, as the Japanese automaker attempts to recover from a vehicle testing scandal.
· The appointment comes after patriarch Osamu Suzuki this month said he would decline the CEO position to take responsibility for the automaker's use of incorrect testing methods when calculating vehicle mileage.
AWARDS AND HONORS:
· Actor AbhishekBachchan holds the Guinness world record for most public appearances made by a film star in 12 hours for promoting the same film.
· While promoting 'Delhi 6' on February 22, 2009, Abhishek travelled to 7 cities including Ghaziabad, Gurgaon, Noida, Faridabad, Delhi, Mumbai and Chandigarh. He covered 1,800 km in 12 hours, travelling by car and private jet.
Amazon named world's smartest company of 2016
· Jeff Bezos-led online retail giant Amazon has topped MIT's annual list of the world's smartest companies of 2016 for combining innovative technology with an effective business model.
· Chinese web services company Baidu and the world’s largest DNA-sequencing company Illumina have been ranked second and third respectively. The list also includes Tesla Motors, Alphabet, Facebook, SpaceX and Snapchat.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· India has successfully test-fires new surface-to-air missile Barak-8 from defence base off Odisha coast.
· The missile was developed jointly with Israel.
· The missile is designed to defend any type of airborne threat including aircraft & helicopters,
· The system includes a Multi Functional Surveillance& Threat Alert Radar (MF STAR) for detection, tracking & guidance of the missile.
Porsche created world's 1st hybrid car
· Ferdinand Porsche, founder of Porsche AG, unveiled the world’s first functional hybrid car in 1900, the 'Lohner-Porsche Semper Vivus'.
· The vehicle could travel almost 200 km on full charge, reaching a top speed of 35 kmph. Remarkably, it was also the first car with an all-wheel drive and four-wheel brakes.
· NASA successfully tested the booster designed for its Mars-bound rocket 'Space Launch System', which is the most powerful rocket in the world.
· The 47-metre booster provided 3.6 million pounds of thrust – almost equivalent to the thrust of 14 Boeing 747-400s at take-off. The rocket will take off for its first uncrewed test flight in late 2018.
Badminton-playing robot developed
· Students and teachers at the University of Electronic Science and Technology, China, have developed a robot, nicknamed 'Robomintoner' that can play badminton.
· It uses a camera and has a binocular vision system, imitating humans, to locate the flying shuttlecock. It then uses Bluetooth to communicate the data to a base station to determine where the shuttlecock is likely to land.
· Former Sri Lankan cricket captain & batting legend, KumarSangakkara reveals his All-time XI.
· Sangakkara believes Dravid, will be the best to complement former Australian batsman Mathew Hayden in the opening slot.
· The list in total has 4 Australian, 3 Lankan & lone spot for Indian,Pakistan, SA & WI players.
· Subramanyan, who was recovering from a recent surgery, was a modernist, having studied art under stalwarts like Nandlal Bose, RamkinkarBaij and BenodeBihari Mukherjee in Shantiniketan.
· When he turned 90, Seagull Foundation For The Arts decided to celebrate the occasion with a year-long travelling exhibition of the master’s latest works.