Daily Current Affairs Updates–3rd June 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
· Marking the second year since the creation of Telangana, the state government announced the creation of 15 new districts across the state.
· The districts will be created by redrawing the boundaries of the ten existing districts, and will come into existence on Dussehra, the government said.
· It also hoisted the second tallest tricolour flag, at 291-feet, in Hyderabad.
Odisha becomes first state to give social welfare benefits to transgender community:
· Odisha State Government has initiated to provide the social welfare benefits to Transgender who are belongs to most deprived.
· Niten Chandra, Principal Secretary of Department of Social Security said it aims to improve their overall social and economic status.
· In the Forbes’ annual list of America’s 60 wealthiest and most successful self-made women entrepreneurs list two Indian-origin women have featured who have articulated invention and innovation.
· India-born Neerja Sethi, who is a co-founder of IT consulting and outsourcing firm Syntel with her husband Bharat Desai ranked 16th on ‘America’s Richest Self-made Women’ list while president and CEO of Arista Networks Jayshree Ullal is ranked 30th.
· The richest self-made woman in America is topped by ABC Supply owner Diane Hendricks is worth 4.9 billion US dollars and the company is the largest wholesale distributor of roofing and siding in the country.
India to grant tourist, e-visa for Yoga courses:
· In a first, India will give tourist and e-tourist visa to foreigners willing to undertake a short-term course in Yoga.
· The government has decided to include a short term yoga programme in the list of permissible activities under the tourist and e-tourist visa.
· Presently, tourist visa is granted only for visiting India for recreation and sight-seeing among other things.
· According to a Global Renewables Report 2015 India being ranked among the top five nations in new investments, and in the top four as regards creating jobs in the green energy sector.
· India’s investments in renewable energy sector increased to $10.2 billion in 2015, when compared to $8.3 billion in 2014.
· The new investments added growth for the second straight year, aided by a jump in utility-scale solar power financing that reached $4.6 billion, up 75 per cent over the previous year.
India joins Hague Code of Conduct against Ballistic Missile Proliferation:
· India joined the Hague Code of Conduct (HCoC) against Ballistic Missile Proliferation as its 138th subscribing state.
· India joined it by notifying HCoC Central Contact, Vienna, through diplomatic channels.
· India’s joining the Code signals its readiness to further strengthen global non-proliferation objectives. Its subscription reinforces its support for international missile non-proliferation.
· This will also help to increase transparency and strengthen security.
· Union Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA) notified the constitution of the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) and National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT) with immediate effect.
· Justice SJ Mukhopadhaya, Judge (Retd.), Supreme Court of India appointed as the Chairperson of the NCLAT while Justice MM Kumar, Judge (Retd.) appointed as the President of the NCLT.
· Initially, NCLT will have eleven Benches, two at New Delhi and one each at Ahmedabad, Allahabad, Bengluru, Chandigarh, Chennai, Guwahati, Hyderabad,Kolkata and Mumbai.
· With the constitution of the NCLT, the Company Law Board (CLB) constituted under the Companies Act, 1956 stands dissolved.
· Both the NCLT and NCLAT were constituted under the Companies Act, 2013 which replaced the Companies Act, 1956. The Act came into force on 12 September 2013.
Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approves Mau-Tarighat Railway line project:
· The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) gave its approval for a new broad gauge line between Mau Station of North Eastern Railway and Tarighat Terminal station of East Central Railway.
· The total length of this new broad gauge line will be 51 kilometers.
· The estimated cost of the project is 1765.92 crore and expected completion cost is 2109.07 crore rupees with 5 percent escalation per annum.
· It is estimated that the project will be completed in the next six years during 12th and 13th Plan period.
· India and the United States signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to improve cooperation on energy security, clean energy and climate change.
· The MoU lists US-India partnerships for energy smart cities and climate resilience, among others, as priority initiatives.
· The MoU was signed by the Power Ministry Secretary PK Pujari and US Ambassador to India, Richard Verma.
Asia's largest annual security forum opens in Singapore:
· Asia's largest annual security forum opens today in Singapore.
· Territorial disputes in the South China Sea, North Korea's military provocations and Islamist extremism are expected to dominate discussions.
· The Shangri-La Dialogue, organised by the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies, IISS, is being attended by at least 20 Defence Ministers led by Pentagon chief Ashton Carter.
· German Parliament, Bundestag, passed a resolution recognising the massacre of Armenians by Ottoman forces during First World War (1915) as genocide.
· The motion was put forward for voting by Chancellor Angela Merkel's governing coalition of right and left and the opposition Greens.
· It was passed with support from all the parties in Parliament with only one abstention and one vote against.
Navin Agarwal appointed NADA chief:
· Senior IPS officer Navin Agarwal was appointed chief of National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA), working for dope-free sports for five years.
· Agarwal is currently working in his cadre Jammu and Kashmir Cadre. He is a 1986 batch IPS officer. The Appointments Committee of Cabinet has approved Agarwal’s appointment as Chief Executive Officer/Director General of NADA.
· NADA is the national nodal agency responsible for promoting, coordinating, and monitoring the doping control program in sports in all its forms of India
· Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu and Union Minister of State for Science and Technology Y Satyanarayana Chowdary were elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha from Andhra Pradesh.
· Further from Maharashtra, Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal, former Finance Minister P Chidambaram, and former Maharashtra Chief Minister Narayan Rane were also elected unopposed in the biennial elections.
LDF candidate Sreeramakrishnan elected as Kerala Assembly speaker:
· In Kerala, ruling LDF candidate P. Sreeramakrishnan was today elected Speaker of the 14th State Assembly. He polled 92 votes while the opposition UDF candidate V. P. Sajeendran got 46 votes.
· Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan welcomed the new speaker and said the speaker does not only represent the LDF but the entire Assembly.
· Opposition leader Ramesh Chennithala and other legislative party leaders also congratulated Mr. Sreeramakrishnan.
· In Tamil Nadu, P Dhanapal and Pollachi V Jayaraman were today unanimously re-elected as Speaker and Deputy Speaker respectively of the Legislative Assembly.
· Both had served as Speaker and Deputy Speaker during the 2011-16 AIADMK regime.
· While Mr Dhanapal was re-elected to the Assembly from Avinashi (Reserved) constituency for sixth term, Mr Jayaraman was re-elected from Pollachi seat for fourth term.
· The RBI directed all banks to immediately frame cybersecurity policies, separate from their overall IT and security policies.
· Banks must take necessary preventive and corrective measures for addressing cyber threats like denial of service, ransomware, malware, business email frauds including spam, phishing, identity frauds, and password related frauds among others, the RBI said.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
· Raghavan Seetharaman, Qatar-based Indian banker, was awarded the Green Economy Visionary award.
· Seetharaman was honoured for his contribution in environment-friendly activities and for promoting green economy for nearly two decades.
· The banker was presented with the award at the 2016 Union of Arab Banks International Banking Summit held in Rome.
· Mohammed Jarrah Al-Sabah, Chairman of Union of Arab Banks, presented the award to Seetharaman.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
Johnson & Johnson to buy Vogue International for about $3.3 billion:
· American multinational firm Johnson & Johnson would acquire personal-care products company Vogue International for about $3.3 billion in all cash deal.
· The move would increase its position in the hair care market and potentially build up its consumer products segment.
· The new acquisition includes Vogue’s menu of OGX shampoos and conditions, the FX line of hair styling products and the Proganix and Maui Moisture hair care product lines.
· The beauty products of Vogue are sold in the United States and in 38 other countries.
· New Delhi based Energy and Resources Institute and a subsidiary of Indian Farmers Fertilizer Cooperative Limited Kisan Sanchar Limited (IKSL) inked a pact to work together in empowering farmers.
· The MoU makes formers by providing them information about efficient use of natural resources to help them increase their productivity.
· TERI has the expertise in agriculture and rural electrification to mitigate impact of climate change and encouraging efficient use of natural resources for developing knowledge based sustainable solutions.
· The cooperation will include creating awareness and benefits of clean lighting and cooking solutions, provided that information on energy solutions and community level solutions that improve energy conditions in schools, public health centres.
The Energy and Resources Institute:
ü Established 1974
ü Headquarters: New Delhi
ü Director General: Ajay Mathur
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· Google launched a tool that measures a website's speed on mobile and desktop, and its mobile-friendliness on a scale of 1 to 100.
· It also gives a detailed test report on a user's request, which includes suggestions on areas that the website needs to work on.
· The tool is aimed at helping business owners determine their website's performance.
Microsoft releases SQL Server 2016:
· Microsoft announced the general availability of its latest relational database management system 'SQL Server 2016'.
· The release offers deep integration of the 'R' programming language, which is used for data science, that will enable analytics on real-time transactions without moving the data out of the platform.
· Serbian Top seed Novak Djokovic became the first professional tennis player to earn $100 million in prize money after he made his 10th French Open quarter-finals beating 14th seed Spain`s Roberto Bautista Agut by 3-6, 6-4, 6-1, 7-5 to move into his 28th consecutive Grand Slam quarter-final and 36th in all.
· While Tennis great Roger Federer earned $98,011,727 since he turned pro in 1998, is the next closest player to breaking that barrier.
· American Women’s tennis great Serena Williams is the leader, having earned a total prize money of $75,929,696 in 21 years in women’s section.
Argentina retain top spot in FIFA rankings:
· Argentina and Belgium continue to hold on to the top two spots in the latest FIFA rankings, with Colombia rounding up the top three.
· World champions Germany are fourth in the table with European Championship holders Spain now sixth.
· India have fallen down one spot to 163, while England have been replaced in the top 10 by Austria.
· The BCCI has allowed Indian women cricketers play in overseas leagues, subject to their contracts being approved by the body.
· The decision, taken during a meeting of the BCCI’s women’s cricket committee, paves the way for India’s players to take part in tournaments such as the Women’s Big Bash League in Australia and the Women’s Super League in England.
Ronaldo world's most famous athlete: ESPN
· Portuguese forward Cristiano Ronaldo has been named the most famous athlete in the world in the list of 100 most famous athletes released by ESPN.
· Ronaldo is followed by NBA star LeBron James, Barcelona forward Lionel Messi and Neymar, and Swiss Tennis player Roger Federer. Indian cricketer Virat Kohli is placed eighth in the list.
· US singer Prince died from an accidental overdose of the painkiller fentanyl, medical examiners have found.
· The report, from Midwest Medical Examiner's Office in Minnesota, comes more than a month after the singer was found slumped in a lift at his home.
· Detectives have already questioned a doctor who saw the 57-year old twice in the weeks before he died.
· A police warrant has also revealed that Dr Michael Schulenberg prescribed medication to the singer on April, 20th, the day before he died.
For More Daily Current Affairs Updates- Click Here