Daily Current Affairs Updates–7th June 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
· International Level Crossing Awareness Day
Guwahati declares Gangetic River Dolphin as its ‘city animal’:
· Guwahati became first city in the country to have its own ‘city animal’ with Kamrup metropolitan district administration declaring Gangetic River Dolphin as its mascot.
· Gangetic River Dolphin is locally known as ‘Sihu’ and fewer than 2000 such animals remain in the River Brahmaputra along Guwahati.
Delhi Government approves solar policy with 1 GW target by 2020:
· The Delhi Government announced implementation of its solar policy.
· The policy aims at making the national capital a solar city with installation of 1 GW solar power capacity by 2020. This target is proposed to double it to 2 GW during further next five years.
· The policy has been prepared by the Delhi Government in consultation with the Dialogue and Development Commission after extensive consultations with local and international experts.
Swachh Yug campaign to make gram panchayats along Ganga open defecation free:
· Swachh Yug: The campaign to make gram panchyats along the Ganga River open defecation free.
· The campaign, being a collaborative effort between the Swachh Bharat Mission, local youth leaders (युवा) and the Namami Gange project (गंगा) - is being called ‘Swachh यु-ग’, which translates into ‘the age of Swachh’.
WCD Ministry holds first ever All India Women Journalists workshop today:
· The Ministry of Women and Child Development is organizing the first ever All India Women Journalists workshop today in New Delhi.
· The Conference will bring together 250 journalists on a single platform. The women journalists represent print, electronic and online media across the country including small and regional media organizations.
· The Ministry is organizing workshop in association with Press Information Bureau, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana to be launched in Odisha:
· In Odisha, state-level launch of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana to provide free of cost LPG cooking gas connections to women from BPL households will be held in Sambalpur on 20th of this month.
· Union Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram and Oil Minister Dharmendra Pradhan are scheduled to flag it off.
· Official sources said, through this scheme, it is planned to increase the number of LPG customers in Odisha from 39 lakh at present to 80 lakh by December 2018.
· The scheme has already been launched regionally by the Centre in Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan.
India, ADB sign $120 mn loan pact for irrigation in Odisha:
· India today signed loan agreement of USD 12 crore with the Asian Development Bank in New Delhi to improve irrigation and water management infrastructure in Odisha.
· The financing will be used for modernizing seven irrigation subprojects resulting in improved irrigation in over one lakh hectares and strengthening the institutional capacity of Odisha’s Department of Water Resources.
· Joint Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, Raj Kumar said that agriculture is a priority sector for the country and especially for Odisha because of its high potential to generate jobs and contribute to inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
· The project aims to improve existing irrigation infrastructure, operation and maintenance, and water use efficiency that will lead to higher agricultural productivity.
Uttrakhand government to reduce land circle rates by 50%:
· The Uttarakhand government has decided to reduce land circle rates in urban and peri-urban areas by around 50%.
· Circle rate is the minimum value fixed for the sale of land, houses and other real estate entities.
· The state government had effected a 10%-30% increase in land circle rates, drawing flak from several quarters and opposition BJP.
Western Railway observes safety awareness week:
· The Western Railway started observing a safety awareness week to educate people regarding safety at railway level crossings.
· The awareness campaign will be conducted among school and college students and panchayats, and safety drives will be held at level crossings.
· Further, all six divisions of Western Railway will observe the International Level Crossing Awareness Day on June 10.
Jharkhand govt to launch medical cover for poor:
· Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das on Monday said that medical insurance of 2 lakh will be launched for Below Poverty Line (BPL) families for the treatment of serious ailments.
· They will also be given an insurance cover of 50,000 for common diseases.
· Further, families earning 72,000 per annum will be provided with free dialysis facilities, Das added.
All train coaches to have bio-toilets by 2019:
· Indian Railways has decided to install bio-toilets in all coaches to ensure the entire rail network is a zero discharge zone by 2019, ahead of the earlier decided 2021, Railway Board Chairman AK Mittal announced.
· According to the plan, 1.40 lakh bio-toilets will be installed during the next three years, while 37,000 have already been installed.
Norway to ban petrol and diesel cars by 2025:
· Norway’s MPs have reportedly agreed to ban or reduce the sale of all cars running on petrol and diesel after 2025.
· Tesla CEO Elon Musk lauded the move.
World’s biggest cruise ship docks in Barcelona:
· The world’s biggest cruise ship has arrived in Barcelona, which it will use as its summer base for Mediterranean journeys.
· The $1 billion Harmony of the Seas docked in the Spanish port before dawn at the end of its inaugural voyage from Southampton in the United Kingdom.
· The French-built ship is taller than the Eiffel Tower and is the widest cruise ship ever built. It can carry 6,360 passengers.
· The 16-deck ship is 362-metre-long (1,187 feet) and boasts more than 2,500 staterooms, 20 dining venues, 23 swimming pools and a park with more than 10,000 plants and 50 trees.
Hillary Clinton secures Democratic presidential nomination:
· In the United States, Hillary Clinton has reached the number of delegates needed to clinch the Democratic presidential nomination.
· Mrs Clinton, a former Secretary of State, reached the 2,383 delegates needed to become the presumptive Democratic nominee with a decisive weekend victory in Puerto Rico and a last-minute support from superdelegates.
· She has 1,812 pledged delegates won in primaries and caucuses. The former first US lady also has the support of 571 superdelegates, according to an Associated Press count.
· Now, Mrs Clinton is on course to become the first woman to head a major US party ticket.
Saudi plans to triple non-oil revenue in 5 years:
· In an attempt to decrease the economic dependence on oil revenue, Saudi Arabia, as a part of the National Transformation Plan (NTP), aims to triple the government's non-oil revenues and clamp down on public-sector salaries over the next five years.
· Among the 500 proposed projects under the NTP, it also aims to install 3.5 gigawatts of renewable power capacity.
Kulmeet Bawa appointed Adobe MD for South Asia:
· Adobe announced the appointment of Kulmeet Bawa as Managing Director (MD) for South Asia. He will begin his new role on 24 June 2016.
· Bawa will take over the position from Umang Bedi, who is leaving the company after five years of service.
· Bawa will report to Paul Robson, President of Adobe Asia Pacific. Bawa will lead Adobe's customer-facing engagements in India.
· Bawa currently serves as the Head of Sales for Adobe in India.
Ashok Ganapathy appointed as Director of Airtel Business:
· Ashok Ganapathy was appointed as the Director of Bharti Airtel Ltd. He will take over the post with effect from 1 July 2016.
· Ganapathy succeeds Manish Prakash as Director (Airtel Business). Prakash has been appointed as Director (strategic alliances).
· He will report to Gopal Vittal, Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director (India & South Asia), Bharti Airtel.
· In this new role, Ashok will be responsible for driving the growth of Airtel's B2B portfolio that serves top corporations, government entities and other corporates with end-to-end solutions.
Facebook appoints Adobe's Umang Bedi as India MD:
· Facebook appointed Umang Bedi as Managing Director for India, effective from July this year.
· He will take over from Kirthiga Reddy, who is relocating to the US to take on a new role at Facebook's headquarters.
· Prior to joining Facebook, the Harvard Business School alumnus was the Managing Director, South Asia, at Adobe for five years.
RBI keeps key policy rate unchanged:
· The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) kept its key rates unchanged in its second bi-monthly monetary policy for the year 2016-17 announced in Mumbai.
· In its policy statement, the RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan said that it has been decided to keep repo rate unchanged at 6.5 per cent.
· The reverse repo rate remains unchanged at 6.0 per cent.
· The cash reserve ratio (CRR) has been kept unchanged at 4.0 per cent.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
US Army Reserve officer Deshauna Barber crowned as Miss USA 2016:
· Deshauna Barber, a serving Army Reserve officer of United States (US), was crowned as the Miss USA 2016 at the Miss USA competition 2016 held at the T-Mobile Arena off the Las Vegas Strip.
· She represented the US capital as Miss District of Columbia. Miss Hawaii Chelsea Hardin came in as the first runner-up and Miss Georgia Emanii Davis was the second runner-up.
· With this, Barber became the first-ever military member to win Miss USA title. She will now represent the USA at Miss Universe Competition 2016.
· Barber inherited the crown from 2015 winner Miss Oklahoma Olivia Jordan.
IOC honours IOA chief N Ramachandran with Olympic Order:
· N Ramachandran, the president of Indian Olympic Association (IOA) was awarded the prestigious Olympic Order by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). He was honoured for his outstanding services to the Olympic movement.
· Earlier to him, former IOA president, the late BS Adityan was the other Indian to be honoured with the same award in 1995.
4 Indians in Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women list:
· Four Indians have featured in Forbes' 13th ‘World’s 100 Most Powerful Women’ list announced.
· They include SBI Chair-MD Arundhati Bhattacharya (ranked 25), ICICI Bank CEO Chanda Kochhar (40), Biocon Founder-Chair Kiran Mazumdar Shaw (77), and HT Media Chair Shobhana Bhartia (93).
· Further, German Chancellor Angela Merkel topped the list for the sixth consecutive year and 11 times in total.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
JV of L&T wins contract to develop Qatar stadium:
· A joint venture (JV) between infrastructure firm L&T and a Qatar-based company has been chosen to build the Al Rayyan stadium in Qatar, for a deal worth $135 million (₹900 crore).
· The 40,000-seater venue will host games up to the quarterfinals of the 2022 FIFA world cup in Qatar. The stadium is slated to be completed by 2019.
Walmart retains top position in Fortune 500 list:
· Retail giant Walmart has topped the Fortune 500 list for the fourth consecutive year.
· Walmart is followed by oil and gas company Exxon Mobil and Apple, the top tech company on the list. While Amazon has been ranked 18th, Facebook has jumped 85 spots to be ranked 157th.
· The annual list features 500 US companies based on their total revenue.
India gets first F.R.I.E.N.D.S theme cafe:
· India's first cafe based on the popular television sitcom 'F.R.I.E.N.D.S' has opened up in Kolkata.
· The cafe has a replica of the orange sofa as well as menu items like Ross's Moist Maker Sandwich and other items like 'Pat the Dog' and the purple door which featured on the show.
· It was started by Mahima Bachhawat and her brother Aditya.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
Twitter’s logo bird is called ‘Larry’:
· Twitter’s official mascot, the bird which features in the company’s logo, is named ‘Larry’.
· According to a tweet by co-founder Biz Stone, it is called Larry the Bird as a tribute to NBA player Larry Bird, who played for the Boston Celtics, Stone’s home-state team.
· The name was revealed in a tweet by the company’s official handle, in 2011.
Tennis star Rohan Bopanna secures direct entry into Rio Olympics:
· Indian tennis star Rohan Bopanna today officially returned to top-10 in the ATP ranking doubles chart, securing a direct entry into the men's doubles event of the Rio Olympic Games.
· Veteran Leander Paes, who also made the quarterfinals, gained five places to be placed 46 now.
· Bopanna being a top-10 player not only gets a direct entry but also has the choice to pick his partner for the men's doubles event irrespective of his ranking.
· In the women's doubles chart, Sania Mirza continued to be joint world number one with Swiss partner Martina Hingis. Prarthana Thombare was second-highest ranked player at number 209.
Six Russian weightlifters banned for doping:
· The Russian anti-doping agency says, six weightlifters, including former world and European junior champions have been banned for doping offenses.
· The agency says 2014 world junior champion Larisa Kobeleva received a four-year ban and Nadezhda Ovchinnikova, the European junior champion in 2014, was banned for two years.
· The other four weightlifters received sanctions of between four and eight years for doping offenses committed last year. There was also a four-year ban for Russian judo champion Pyotr Khachirov.
· Russia's anti-doping agency RUSADA will develop a special curriculum, based on World Anti-Doping Agency guidelines, for the 3,000 sports schools where the country's elite athletes train.
For More Daily Current Affairs Updates- Click Here