Daily Current Affairs Updates–13th August 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
DAYS TO REMEMBER:
World Elephant Day: August 12th
· On August 12, 2012, the inaugural World Elephant Day was launched to bring attention to the urgent plight of Asian and African elephants. The elephant is loved, revered and respected by people and cultures around the world, yet we balance on the brink of seeing the last of this magnificent creature.
· Unlike other national and international made up holidays, World Elephant Day is less about selling hamburgers or Chick-Fil-A chicken sandwiches and more about promoting the conservation of elephants worldwide.
· With the street value of a single elephant tusk running at approximately $15,000, elephants are a prime target of poachers and the main market is China.
Bihar and Gujarat convene assembly sessions to ratify GST Bill
· The special session of Bihar assembly to pass the Goods and Services Tax, GST Bill is likely to be held on 16th of this month. Sources said, the session is likely to be for one day only.
· AIR correspondent reports that the meeting of the State Cabinet is to be held this evening to take decision about convening of the Assembly session.
· It may be noted that both the LokSabha and RajyaSabha had passed the GST bill recently.
· As per constitutional provision before enacting the law of GST, the bill has to be passed by at least 50 percent of the State Assemblies. The GST Bill is aimed at bringing uniform tax regime in the country by subsuming state levies.
Nasscom begins startup warehouse
· After inking a MoU with the A.P. government in March, the apex IT industry body in the country, National Association of Software and Services (Nasscom) has launched operations of its startup warehouse at Sunrise Startup Village at Rushikonda in Visakhapatnam, AP.
· This is the first Nasscom Startup Warehouse in AP and ninth under its 10,000 startup initiative by 2020, which was kick-started from Bengaluru in 2013.
· The warehouse would provide affordable co-working space with incubation for six months.
· In this regards, Nasscom has selected five teams to join the incubation programme at their Visakhapatnam facility.
Second unit of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant to be synchronized with southern power grid
· In Tamil Nadu, the second unit of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant will be synchronized with southern power grid by the end of this month according to site director R S Sundar.
· Addressing an event, he said that electricity generation for the third and fourth units will start by 2022.
· The second unit of Kudankulam nuclear power plant attained criticality on July 10.
· Power generation in the second unit is being increased from 230 Mega watt to 300 mega watt and finally will attain the full capacity of 1000 mega watt.
Rajasthan signs MoUwoth India Trade and Exhibition Centre
· Rajasthan government today signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with India Trade And Exhibition Centre (ITEC), Dubai for promotion of skill development, investment and tourism sectors.
· As per the agreement, ITEC would work as a service providing agency for promotion of skill development, investment and tourism sectors in Rajasthan.
· Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje before the signing ceremony chaired a high-level meeting to discuss various sectors of mutual cooperation.
· ITEC Chairman Sudesh Agarwal assured that ITEC would provide support for increasing partnerships with Dubai in other sectors as well, a release said.
Nadda inaugurates AMRIT outlet at Safdarjung Hospital
· AMRIT outlets will reduce the expenditure incurred by common patients on treatment of cancer and heart diseases, Union Health Minister J P Nadda today said.
· Nadda inaugurated the Affordable Medicines and Reliable Implants for Treatment (AMRIT) outlet at Safdarjung Hospital.
· The AMRIT retail outlets will sell drugs at highly discounted rates and have a very comprehensive list of medicines that are available across range of products.
BARC and Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology sign MoU for joint development of Deep Brain Stimulator
· Bhabha Atomic Research Centre and Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology (SCTIMST), Thiruvananthapuram (an institute of national importance under DST) have agreed to join hands to develop ‘Deep Brain Stimulator’ (DBS).
· DBS involves implanting electrodes within certain areas of brain and the regular electrical pulses generated by a pacemaker-like device placed under the skin in upper chest regulates the abnormal impulses of the brain. DBS is used in typical neurological conditions of Essential tremor, Parkinson's disease and Dystonia.
· The DBS consists of implanted pulse generator, electrodes and extension cables which interface with external Programmer module and wireless battery charger.
Relief for diesel luxury car makers as ban goes
· Luxury car makers and dealers breathed a sigh of relief with the Supreme Court allowing the fresh registration of high-end diesel cars and SUVs in Delhi and the National Capital Region, provided they pay the green charge of one per cent of the vehicle’s ex-showroom price.
· Implementing the ‘polluter pays’ legal principle, a Special Bench led by Chief Justice of India T.S. Thakur directed the car makers or dealers to deposit the one per cent ‘environment compensation charge’ with the Central Pollution Control Board.
· The US government on Friday declared a public health emergency in Puerto Rico as a result of a Zika epidemic.
· The declaration allows the US Department of Health and Human Services to award grants, access emergency funds and temporarily appoint personnel where needed, among other things.
· A department spokesman did not immediately return a message seeking comment on what immediate steps the agency may take.
· Sri Lanka and China on Friday signed a tripartite agreement to proceed with the construction of a mega multi-billion dollar port city project in capital Colombo.
· The agreement was signed between Sri Lanka's Urban Development Authority, the Ministry of Megapolis and Western Development and the China Harbour Engineering Company, Xinhua news agency reported.
· With the signing of the agreement, the Colombo Port City Development Project was newly renamed as the Colombo International Financial City with the government stating that the project would transform Sri Lanka into an international financial hub in the Indian Ocean region.
Manipal Tech acquires fraud detection solution from Bengaluru company
· Manipal Technologies Ltd (MTL), which is a secure print solutions organization, has acquired Cross Fraud – an advanced fraud detection and anti-money laundering solution -- from the Bengaluru-based Saraansh Software Solutions Pvt Ltd for an undisclosed amount.
· Abhay Gupte, Chief Executive Officer of MTL, told Business Line that the acquisition comes with four international patents in risk and fraud detection area. He said that Cross Fraud is already implemented in two banks in Thailand and six banks in India.
· Stating that the fraud detection and anti-money laundering space is identified as one of high growth businesses for the future, he said anti-money laundering and fraud detection are top on the agenda for all the banks.
· Cipla Ltd has appointed Umang Vohra as the managing director & global chief executive officer of the company effective September 1, 2016.
· The current incumbent, Subhanu Saxena will step down from his position on August 31, 2016 to attend to emergent family priorities. Subhanu joined Cipla in February 2013 as CEO.
· Umang joined the company in October 2015 as the global chief financial & strategy officer and was elevated as the global chief operating officer early this year as part of a planned progression.
In Rio Olympics, Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna just one win away from a medal in the Mixed Doubles Tennis
· In Rio Olympics, Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna will play their Mixed Doubles semi-final match tonight. They will take on the American team of Venus Williams and Rajeev Ram. If India win, it will be assured of at least a Silver medal.
· In Shooting, Mairaj Ahmad Khan will be seen in action in the second day of Qualifications of Skeet, while Gurpreet Singh will figure in Stage-II Qualification of 25 metre rapid fire pistol category.
· In Athletics, Lalita Babar and Sudha Singh will feature in the heats of 3,000 metres steeplechase event, with Nirmala Sheoran featuring in the 400 metres race.
· India's top squash player Dipika Pallikal warmed up for the World Doubles Championship, which begins in Darwin on Monday, by winning the PSA Australian Open in Melbourne.
· Top seed Pallikal beat eighth seed Mayar Hany of Egypt 10-12, 11-5, 11-6, 11-4 in the 40-minute final for her first title of the year.
· Pallikal's previous title came in February 2015 when she won the Winnipeg Winter Open in Canada.
· China’s table tennis champion Ma Long on 11 August 2016 defeated China’s Zhang Jike by 4-0 to grab the gold medal in Table Tennis at Rio Olympics.
· With the win, Long became the fifth male player to complete the Grand Slam, and the second male player ever to be the defending champion of all three majors at the same time. Jike clinched the silver medal.
· Leo Messi has announced his decision to continue playing for the Argentina national team, and was announced in Edgardo Bauza’s first official squad.
· The mercurial no.10 confirmed that he will remain part of the albiceleste setup via an official communique, declaring his desire to continue helping his nation.
· That is why the new manager has selected Messi for the coming Russia 2018 World Cup qualifiers against Uruguay (1 September) and Venezuela (6 September).
· Former Odisha chief secretary Sudhanshu Bhusan Mishra passed away late last night at a private hospital here, his family sources said.
· Mishra, a 1965 batch IAS officer, was 76 and is survived by wife Prof Bijaya Mishra and two daughters.
· Mishra served both the state government and Union Government in various capacities.
· Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik condoled Mishra's death and described him as a wise and visionary bureaucrat.