Daily Current Affairs Updates–15th August 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
DAYS TO REMEMBER:
Independence Day in India
· India celebrates Independence Day on August 15 each year. India became an independent nation on August 15, 1947.
· The struggle for India's Independence began in 1857 with the Sepoy Mutiny in Meerut.
· Later, in the 20th century, the Indian National Congress and other political organizations, under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi, launched a countrywide independence movement. Colonial powers were transferred to India on August 15, 1947.
· On 15 August 1947, Jawaharlal Nehru, who had become the first Prime Minister of India that day, raised the Indian national flag above the Lahori Gate of the Red Fort in Delhi. On each subsequent Independence Day, the prime minister has raised the flag and given a speech.
Govt services to be available through mobile app in Maharashtra: CM Fadnavis
· Maharashtra Chief Minister DevendraFadnavis announced that all government services will be made available through mobile app in the state and said that the people will get the feeling of his secretariat in their mobile.
· He was addressing the main Independence Day function after unfurling the national flag at Mantralaya in Mumbai.
· He greeted the people of Maharashtra and saluted the martyrs of the freedom struggle. He said, today is the day of resolution and presented the brief picture of the achievements of his government during last 22 months.
· He said, his government has provided assistance of 9000 crore rupees to the farmers during last two years to face drought related crisis.
· He added that the government managed to make 4000 villages drought-free with the help of JalayuktaShivarAbhiyan. He expressed confidence to make 2000 more villages drought free during this year.
Sikkim govt commitment to total literacy by 2019: CM Chamling
· In Sikkim, the people celebrated 70th Independence Day in grand manner. The Medals and state Meritorious Service Awards have also been conferred during a state level function in Gangtok today.
· The Chief Minister, Pawan Chamling has unfurled the National tricolour at Palzor Stadium and took salute of jawans from Sikkim police and other paramilitary forces on the occasion.
· He also reiterated his government commitment to declare Sikkim a total literate state by the year 2019.
· Mr. Chamling in his speech termed Sikkim as an exemplary state for promoting secularism in true sense and claimed that every religion, faith and belief is protected here.
PM announces 20% hike in freedom fighters' pension
· Addressing the nation on the occasion of India's 70th Independence Day, Prime Minister NarendraModi announced a 20% increase in the pension of freedom fighters.
· He also announced that the Government of India will bear medical expenses of ₹1 lakh for poor families. Modi said the government has also delivered on the promise of One Rank One Pension (OROP).
Govt releases commemorative postage stamp on Tourism on 70th I-Day
· Minister of State ManojSinha today released a commemorative postage stamp on Tourism in India on the occasion of 70th Independence day.
· Speaking on the occasion, MrSinha said, the theme tourism was selected on account of tourism sector being an economically important and rapidly growing industry.
· He said, tourism is fast emerging, as one of the majors sectors of the economy and generating huge employment opportunity across the country.
Obama declares emergency for flooded Louisiana
· US President Barack Obama issued a disaster declaration for flood-devastated Louisiana. White House said, emergency workers have rescued more than 7,000 residents stranded in homes and cars.
· Officials said, the action makes emergency federal funding available to support rescue crews working nonstop as deadly flooding ravages the state, disastrous weather that has left at least three dead and one missing.
· The flooding submerged large parts of the region on Sunday, three days after water-swelled streams and rivers began rising. Local, state and national agencies have been working together to rescue residents.
South Indian Bank, SBI Card to launch co-branded credit card
· South Indian Bank, leading private sector bank, and SBI Card, one of India's leading Credit Card issuers, on Friday, announced the launch of co-branded credit cards for the customers of South Indian Bank.
· Through this alliance South Indian Bank and SBI Card will launch two variants of credit card on VISA platform, namely South Indian Bank Platinum SBI Card and South Indian Bank SimplySAVE SBI Card.
Aditya Birla Health Insurance business receives final approval from IRDAI
· Health insurance arm of Aditya Birla Financial Services Group (ABFSG) has received the final regulatory approval from sector watchdog IRDAI and it is likely to begin operations in the last quarter of 2016.
· Aditya Birla Health Insurance Co Ltd is a joint venture between the Aditya Birla Group and South Africa-based financial services group MMI Holdings (MMI).
· MayankBathwal, who has been with the Aditya Birla Group for over two decades, has been appointed the chief executive of the health insurance firm, a statement by Aditya Birla Financial Services said.
Centre may get Rs 23,944 crore from clean environment cess in FY17
· Government is likely to get an estimated Rs 23,944.4 crore from clean environment cess in the ongoing fiscal.
· "The estimated amount of clean environment cess to be collected by CIL and deposited with the government of India for the year 20116-17 based on the budgeted estimated production of CIL is Rs 23,944.4 crore," Coal and Power Minister PiyushGoyal said in a reply to LokSabha.
· Clean Environment Cess is collected from the customers and then deposited with the government, hence, levying of the will have no impact either on the revenue or the cost of production of coal by CIL, the minister said.
ONGC launches Rs 100-cr start-up fund
· ONGC has launched a Rs 100-crore start-up fund on its diamond jubilee year “to foster, nurture and incubate new ideas related to the oil & gas sector”. The initiative, christened ‘ONGC Start-up’, is in line with the government's Startup India initiative.
· As part of this initiative, ONGC would provide the entire support chain for start-ups including seed capital, hand-holding, mentoring market linkage and follow-ups.
· ONGC also awarded its three young officers — Rajendra Bhambhu, Deepak Naik and Prajesh Chopra — for their innovative ideas.
Life insurers' new biz premiums up 4% to Rs 13,854 crore in July
· New business premiums of life insurance companies saw a 4 per cent rise to Rs 13,854.44 crore in July 2016 as against Rs 13,319.97-crore premium collected in the same month last year.
· State-run Life Insurance Corporation's (LIC) new business premium was the highest at Rs 10,737.92 crore, up 3 per cent from Rs 10,421 crore in July 2015, according to the data collected by sector regulator IRDAI.
· The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDAI) data comprises a total of 24 firms including LIC — country's largest life insurance company.
1st BIO-CNG project in India inaugurated in Pune
· The first ever BIO-CNG project in India was inaugurated on Sunday in Pune, by the hands of Union Minister of surface Transport NitinGadkari and Defence Minister ManoharParrikar.
· Speaking on this occasion, Mr. Gadkari said that Bio-Fuel will help in reducing the import of diesel up to 50 % and therefor the huge amount of Foreign Exchange will be saved.
· He further said that this energy source is also cost effective and pollution free.
· This project is remarkable step in Make In India said ManoharParrikar. He said that inclusion of Light Combat Aircraft Tejas in Indian Navy was also a major achievement under this Mission.
Manjula Chellur named new Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court
· The first woman Chief Justice of the Calcutta High Court, ManjulaChellur, has been named the new Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court.
· The transfer of Chellur, who will be the second woman Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court, is expected to take effect later in August.
· Justice SujataManohar became the first woman Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court in 1994.
· According to a notification by the Union Ministry of Law and Justice, Justice Girish Chandra Gupta, the senior most judge of the Calcutta High Court, will function as the Chief Justice in the interim.
AWARDS AND HONORS:
Sonam, Nawazuddin win top awards at IFF Melbourne
· Bollywood star actors SonamKapoor and NawazuddinSiddiqui bagged the best actress and best actor awards at the Indian Film Festival (IFF) of Melbourne 2016. The theme for this year 2016 is ‘Women Empowerment’. Angry India Goddesses, will bring the curtains down for the festival.
· Award winners are:
o Best Actor (Male) – NawazuddinSiddiqui for Raman Raghav
o Best Actor (Female) – SonamKapoor for Neerja
o Best Film Award – Kapoor& Sons
o Best Indie Film – Thithi
o Best Director – ShakunBatra
o Indian Film Festival Excellence in Cinema Award(lifetime achievement award) – Rishi Kapoor.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
China to launch first quantum hack-proof satellite
· China is set to launch the world’s first quantum communication satellite which boasts of hack-proof ultra high security features to prevent wiretapping and intercepts.
· If the satellite works well, it will pave the way to a hack-proof communication system, state-run Xinhua news agency reported on Sunday. It will launch the satellite in a matter of days.
· In July 2015, a quantum-computing lab jointly established by Chinese Academy of Science and Chinese Internet giant Alibaba opened in Shanghai.
New sensor developed to detect heart attacks in just a minute
· Researchers have developed an electrical immuno-sensor for early detection of heart attacks, which provides results in just one minute.
· They said, a fast and reliable diagnosis of heart attack is urgently needed as heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women.
· The system works by measuring the level of cardiac troponin I, a protein that is excreted by the heartmuscle into the blood following a heart attack.
· Using just a single droplet of blood, the immuno-sensor detects the target protein present in the blood serum following a heart attack and provides a result in one minute.
· According to researchers from Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology in South Korea, this novel immuno-sensor holds considerable potential for use as a platform for sensing distinct types of proteins, along with the feasibility of miniaturisation and integration for biomedical diagnosis.
Indian gymnast Dipa finishes 4th in vault finals
· Indian gymnast DipaKarmakar finished fourth in the women's vault finals at the Rio Olympics. With her two jumps, Dipa, who is India's first ever female gymnast at the Olympics, finished with a score of 15.066, as against the bronze medal-winning score of 15.216. American gymnast Simone Biles grabbed the gold medal while Russia's Maria Paseka won the silver.
Srikanth Kidambi enters last 16 in men's singles
· Indian badminton player SrikanthKidambi advanced to the Round of 16 in the men's singles event at the Rio Olympics, after defeating Sweden's Henri Hurskainen 21-6, 21-18 in the second group match on Sunday. The current world number 11, Srikanth, who is participating in his first Olympic Games, will be playing his last 16 match on Monday.
PV Sindhu advances to last 16 in women's singles
· Indian shuttler PV Sindhu advanced to the Round of 16 in the women's singles event at the Rio Olympics, after defeating Canada's world number 20 Michelle Li 19-21, 21-15, 21-17 in the second group match on Sunday. The 21-year-old, who is currently ranked world number 10 and participating in her first Olympics, will play the last 16 match on Tuesday.
Murray 1st to retain Olympic tennis singles gold
· Andy Murray became the first tennis player to retain the Olympic singles gold medal after he won the event at the Rio Olympics on Sunday. He registered a 7-5, 4-6, 6-2, 7-5 victory over world number 141 Juan Martín delPotro, who had earlier defeated Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal. Meanwhile, Japan's Kei Nishikori won the bronze medal, defeating Nadal.
Jamaica's Usain Bolt wins 100 meters Final, retains title of "Fastest Man Alive"
· Jamaica's speedster Usain Bolt retained his coveted title "Fastest man alive on the planet".
· Bolt won the 100m Final of Rio Olympics, to have the third Olympic Gold medal in the event, an unprecedented feat.
· In his Final appearance in an Olympic, the reigning World Champion sprinted to glory as he recorded his season best time of 9.81 seconds.
· In the beginning of the race his long time rival American Sprinter Justin Gatlin looked ahead till 50m, but Bolt's secret weapon his all out burst in the last stretch spearheaded him to the finish line as Gatlin settled for a Silver. A recap of the historic sprint.