Daily Current Affairs Updates–10th September 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
- Odisha had the lowest conviction rate of 9.5% in criminal offences among all states in 2015, National Crime Record Bureau figures have revealed.
- Of the 39,066 cases registered under the Indian Penal Code in which trials were completed, only 3,692 resulted in conviction. Further, the rate of case pendency in the state stands at 91.8%.
- In a first-of-its-kind initiative, Delhi Police on Friday flagged off five all-women Police Control Room (PCR) vehicles for improving woman safety in the capital.
- The PCRs, each with three women personnel, will play in five primary areas in New Delhi. One of the women personnel will be the driver of the PCR van, another will carry an MP-5 gun
- External Affairs Minister SushmaSwaraj said, “By 2016-end, we will not leave any country where Indian Ministers have not gone.” She said that the Ministry had identified 68 countries which had not witnessed Ministerial-level visits from India.
- Among the first that will see visits by Ministers will be East European countries, a government official said. As part of this plan, Electronics and IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad will be visiting Estonia and Latvia, while Home Ministry Rajnath Singh will be going to Hungary and Railways Minister Suresh Prabhu to Bosnia
- The Gorkhas have demanded that they be recognised as an indigenous community of Assam in the National Register of Citizens (NRC)updation process as they are "sons of (the) soil".
- The Gorkha Autonomous Council Demand Committee further demanded that no single illegal migrant's or foreigner's name should be included in the NRC and it should be upgraded constitutionally.
- The results of the 2016 ‘SwachhSurvekshan’ (Cleanliness Index) for rural India was released on 8 September 2016. Mandi (Himachal Pradesh) and Sindhudurg (Maharashtra) were declared as the cleanest districts in India. Mandi was judged as the cleanest district in “Hills” category and Sindhudurg as the cleanest in the “Plains” category.
- The results were declared by the Minister, Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Rural Development and Panchayati Raj. A total of 22 hill districts and 53 plain areas were assessed under the GraminSwachhSurvekshan launched in May 2016. State wise, Sikkim and Kerala were ranked as top performing states in a Swachhta (cleanliness) survey conducted by the National Sample Survey Office (NSSO), while Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand were placed among the last on the table.
Overall Ranking: Hills Overall Ranking: Plains
1. Mandi , Himachal Pradesh (98.4%) 1. Sindhudurg, Maharashtra(96.8%)
2. West Sikkim, Sikkim (96.4%) 2. Nadia, West Bengal (95.0%)
3. Shimla, Himachal Pradesh (94.1%) `3. Satara, Maharashtra (92.9%)
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has been commissioned the offshore patrolling (OPV) vessel, Sarathi, at Goa Shipyard Ltd (GSL), the defence shipyard in south Goa. This vessel is the 3rd in the series of six OPVs built by the shipyard for Indian Coast Guard.
- The ceremony was attended by Defence Minister ManoharParrikar, Director General of Indian Coast Guard Vice Admiral Rajendra Singh, Chairman and Managing Director of GSL Shekhar Mittal, commanding officer of OPV SarathiAtul Joshi and others.
- The Odisha government has launched the construction workers pension scheme. It ensures financial assistance of 300 rupees per month to all registered construction workers after attaining the age of 60 years and 500 rupees for construction workers of more than 80 years.
- According to chief minister Naveen Patnaik, the state government has launched housing schemes for construction workers residing in rural areas. Financial assistance for workers has also been enhanced to Rs 1.3 lakh under the scheme. He gave away work orders to 1000 construction workers at the function.
- A team of 43 chefs made a total of 5,836 pizzas within 12 hours towards the end of a three-day pizza festival in Italy last week, as part of an attempt to break a Guinness World Record.
- The record is currently held by the Naples Academy of Pizza, which made 5,070 pizzas in Switzerland last year.
- Home Secretary-level talks between India and Nepal concluded in Delhi on Friday. "During the talks, both sides reviewed the entire gamut of bilateral security cooperation between the two countries and agreed to strengthen it further,”.
- It was also decided that the next round of talks will be held in Nepal at a mutually convenient date.
- Denmark-based Dong Energy has installed the first of the world's largest wind turbines at its Burbo Bank windfarm off the coast of Britain. The 8 MW turbine stands 195 metres tall from sea level and has a rotor diameter of 164 metres.
- The company plans to build 32 such turbines, which can generate enough electricity to power 2, 30,000 homes
- India's forex reserves increased by $989.5 million to an all-time high of $367.76 billion in the week ended September 2, the Reserve Bank of India has said.
- Foreign currency assets, a major component of overall reserves, rose by $952.2 million to $342.23 billion, the RBI added. The total reserves had declined marginally to $366.77 billion in the previous reporting week.
- US-based automated teller machine (ATM) manufacturer NCR Corporation is planning to add 15,000 ATMs in India during the current fiscal,Managing DirectorNavrozeDasturhas said.
- Further, Dastur said that the company expects to maintain its share of 48% in the ATM market, adding that out of the 2.2 lakh ATMs in India, one lakh belong to NCR.
- LIC Housing Finance is looking at a 17.6 per cent growth in its total loan disbursement at Rs.40,000crore this fiscal, a top company official said. The company had achieved loans disbursal of Rs.34,000crore last fiscal, LIC Housing Finance MD and CEO Sunita Sharma said here.
- HDFC Ergo General Insurance Company (HDFC ERGO) has completed the acquisition of 100 percent shares of L&T General Insurance Company (L&T Insurance) for Rs. 551 crore. The company has recently received approvals from the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDA) and Competition Commission of India.
- Mukesh Kumar, Executive Director at HDFC ERGO has been appointed as the new Managing Director & CEO of L&T General Insurance Company Limited. Subsequent to this transaction and post necessary regulatory approvals, L&T Insurance is proposed to be renamed as HDFC General Insurance Limited (HDFC General).
- Asia's oldest stock exchange BSE on Friday filed draft papers with markets regulator SEBI for its initial public offering (IPO), which will make it the first Indian stock exchange to be listed.
- The IPO of India's second biggest exchange is expected to range between INR 1,200 crore and INR 2,000 crore. Earlier, NSE said it plans to file for listing next year.
- Japanese auto maker Nissan Friday said it has started selling India-made entry level multi-purpose vehicle Datsun GO+ in South Africa. “Sales of the Datsun GO+, produced at the Renault—Nissan Alliance plant in Oragadam near Chennai, began on August 31, 2016 in South Africa,
- Dilip Kumar Mandal has been appointed managing director (MD) & chief executive officer (CEO) of IDBI Asset Management Company (AMC). Prior to joining IDBI AMC, Mandal was chief general manager & zonal head of retail banking group, IDBI Bank, covering the states of Odisha, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand, and based at Bhubaneswar.
- IDBI Bank is an Indian government-owned financial service company, formerly known as Industrial Development Bank of India, headquartered in Mumbai, India.
- PepsiCo CEO and Chairman IndraNooyi was ranked 2nd on the list of Fortune's 51 Most Powerful Women list. The list is topped by Mary Barra, CEO and Chairman of General Motors.
- Nagaland Chief Minister T R Zeliang has received ‘Pangkor Dialogue Award 2016‘in Malaysia for the efforts made by the people of the state for environmental preservation and promotion. He was awarded by the organisers- Institute DarulRudzuan and Malaysian government.
- He appealed to the people of Nagaland to continue environmental preservation and development. Mr.Zeliang told that the people of Naga should cooperate with the government to undertake mass tree plantation every year and preserve natural flora and fauna.
- Haryana has bagged ‘Best Horticulture State’ award for the concerted efforts made by the state government to increase the income of the farmers in horticulture. The award was received by Haryana Agriculture Minister OP Dhankaron 9 September 2016 at two-day 9th Agricultural Leadership Summit 2016. The summit was organized by Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA) in New Delhi.
- At present, about 2.5 lakh hectares of land of the state is under horticulture and a target has been set to increase it up to nine lakh hectares. For this purpose, the state has decided to set a Horticulture University in the state. It also decided to set up centers of excellence in horticulture in every district of the state and create 340 horticulture villages in the state.
- In addition, it would also set biggest Horticulture Mandi of the country at Ganaur on the pattern of RungisMandi of France and Shenzhen Mandi of China.Besides, the 2016 best agriculture state award went to Odisha. It was awarded with the award in recognition of the efforts towards development of agriculture and bringing rural prosperity.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
- Moscow-basedsecurity company Kaspersky Lab has introduced the 'Kaspersky Cybersecurity Index' to measure current cyber-threat levels faced by internet users.
- Based on behavioral data collected from thousands of global users, the index shows that although 29% of users have experienced some form of cybercrime, only 60% have installed security solutions on all devices they use for internet access
- The US space agency NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) has launched its first mission to collect samples from an asteroid and return them to Earth in hopes of learning more about the origins of life. The spacecraft OSIRIS-REx (unmanned) blasted off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.
- The 800 million dollar mission will travel for two years on a journey to Bennu. OSIRIS-REx’s main goal is to gather dirt and debris from the surface of the asteroid and return it to Earth by 2023 for further study.
- VasundharaRaje lead Rajasthan Government has signed MoUwith educational institutes, which will adopt 50 Adarsh and UtkarshVidyalaya in the state for developing education sector infrastructure. The MoU was signed in the presence of chief minister VasundharaRaje.
- The organisation, Gems education, will contribute towards curriculum enhancement and capacity building. It will also adopt five District Institution of Education and Training (DIET) and State Institute of Education Research and Training (SIERT) Udaipur.
- Lochte, who won gold in the 4x200 metres freestyle relay in Rio, will also forfeit bonus money from the Games, monthly funding he receives from USOC and USA Swimming and will not be allowed access to USOC training centres.
- He will miss next year's national championships and will therefore not be eligible for the world championships in July. He must perform 20 hours of community service and will miss Team USA's post-Olympics trip to the White House.
- Lochte, 32, admitted he "over-exaggerated" a tale about being robbed and held at gunpoint after a party during the Rio Olympics. Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger, James Feigen, Lochte's swimming team mates who were involved in the incident, also received sanctions for violating the USOC's code of conduct.
- Indian cueist PankajAdvani became the first Indian to win a medal at the Six-Red World Championships, after winning bronze at the 2016 edition of the tournament on Friday.
- Advani, who lost out to China's Ding Junhui in the semi-finals, said, "Winning the first medal for India in this championship, with this level of competition means you have done well.
- MariyappanThangavelu won India’s first gold medal at the Rio Paralympics. He won the gold in the Men’s High Jump T-42 event with a leap of 1.89 metres. With this, Thangavelu also became the first Indian high-jumper to win gold at the Paralympics. This was India’s overall third gold at the Games and the first after 12 years.
- In addition, Bronze in the event also went to India through Varun Singh Bhati, who jumped his personal best of 1.86 metres to finish third. USA's Sam Grewe bagged the silver medal. India had claimed a Gold and a Bronze at Athens in 2004. Javelin thrower DevendraJhajharia had then won the Gold, with Rajinder Singh claiming the Bronze in powerlifting.
- Captain Manpreet Singh of the Indian Army on Friday set the Guinness world record for the “Longest continuous ride standing on the seat of a motorcycle”.
- He covered a distance of 75.2 kilometres in 2 hrs 24 min and 12 secs in Jabalpur (Madhya Pradesh) on Friday, while standing on the seat of the motorcycle