Postage stamp to mark Mother Teresa's sainthood
· Minister of State for Communications Manoj Sinha today released a special postage stamp to mark Mother Teresa’s canonisation as a saint at The Vatican.
· The postage stamp was released at Divine Child High School in Andheri in Mumbai to commemorate the event being celebrated globally.
· While releasing the stamp, Mr. Sinha said that her canonisation is a matter of pride for the nation.
· He said Mother Teresa devoted her whole life serving the poor and destitute people in India.
· Aiming to raise awareness and change perceptions regarding the Denotified Tribes, the '1st Nomad Film Festival' is being held at the India Islamic Cultural Centre in Delhi today.
· It will showcase short films as well as documentaries on the lives of the tribes. The tribes were listed as 'Criminal Tribes' under the 1871 Criminal Tribes Act during the British rule.
· The Odisha government has launched the Biju Kanya Ratna Yojana (BKRY) for the development of girls in three districts of the state.
· The objective of the scheme is to improve Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB) and Child Sex Ratio (CSR) in the three districts.
· Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched the scheme at the state secretariat here.
· The scheme will be implemented for three years in Ganjam, Dhenkanal and Angul districts on a pilot basis, said Patnaik.
· It will ensure enrolment of girls in elementary education, tracking dropout girls from schools and creating a better environment for them, said the Chief Minister.
· The state government had made a budgetary provision of Rs 2 crore for the scheme.
· In Haryana, village Gumthala Garhu near Pehowa in Kurukshetra district has became the first Wifi hotspot village in Haryana circle under bulk plan of BSNL.
· Chief Minister, Mr. Manohar Lal inaugurated this service from Chandigarh yesterday. The Chief Minister said that BSNL has created history by taking initiative of providing Wifi service in the villages, which earlier were available in cities only.
· An official spokesman told AIR at Chandigarh today that BSNL Haryana circle has a plan to have 238 Wifi hotspot locations with 1072 Access Points and this project would be implemented to its full capacity during the current financial year.
· As many as 16 states in the country have agreed to form a joint venture with the Railways for creating more infrastructure facilities, Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu said.
· The Ministry has also written to the Tamil Nadu government to explore the possibility of redeveloping the railway stations in the state by forming a joint venture, he added.
· Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas Darmendra Pradhan has observed that Andhra Pradesh will become the country’s hub of petroleum reserves if the oil reserves in Krishna-Godavari KG basin are explored.
· Speaking in Nellore’s Venkatachalam participating in the 15th Anniversary of Swarna Bharat Trust, he said the KG basin has plenty of oil reserves.
· Union Urban Development and Information Broadcasting Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu who presided over the programme noted that people should never forget their mother, the motherland, and the mother tongue ever in their life.
· China and the United States ratified the 2015 Paris agreement to cut global greenhouse gas emissions on 3rd of September, ahead of the G20 summit beginning 4th of September in Hangzhou, China.
· The world’s two biggest polluters account for 38 per cent of global greenhouse gas emissions.
· China, the G20 host, alone accounts for 20 per cent of emissions, as per data by Climate Interactive and MIT Sloan.
· The pledges by China and United States for the Paris Agreement would deliver half of the agreement’s climate impact.
· The Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs) of China and the United States would deliver 51 per cent of the avoided cumulative (increasing, accumulative, accumulating, growing, progressive) GHG emissions from 2016-2100 from all of the INDCs in the Paris Agreement.
· Mother Teresa is being declared a saint by Pope Francis today at a canonisation ceremony in Vatican City.
· The canonization comes on the eve of her 19th death anniversary. Once declared Saint, she will be known as Saint Teresa of Calcutta.
· A 12-member central delegation led by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and two state government-level delegations from Delhi and West Bengal, led by Chief Ministers Arvind Kejriwal and Mamata Banerjee are in Vatican City to attend the ceremony.
· Mother Teresa died on September 5, 1997. On October 19, 2003, Pope John Paul II beatified Mother Teresa of Calcutta.
· State-owned telecom operator BSNL has made an offer of less than Rs.1 per GB stating that from September 9 it will give “unlimited” wireline broadband services priced at a monthly pack of Rs.249.
· The 'Experience Unlimited BB 249' plan will enhance customer experience and attract new users, BSNL stated. Notably, this offer follows Reliance Jio's launch announcement earlier this week.
· Rio Olympics medalists P V Sindhu and Sakshi Malik, besides olympian Dipa Karmakar are likely to be the new faces of Swachh Bharat Mission for creating awareness about Prime Minister Narendra Modi's initiative.
· Modi had nominated 27 prominent personalities from various walks of life for promoting his pet programme.
· The list includes Amitabh Bachchan, Ramdev, Sachin Tendulkar and Anil Ambani, among others.
AWARDS AND HONORS:
· Noted Odia poet Dr Hrushikesh Mallick will be honoured with the 37th edition of prestigious Sarala Award for his outstanding poetry.
· The annual award, carrying a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh and a citation, would be conferred on Dr Mallick for his poetry work “Jeje Dekhi Nathiba Bharat”, the Sarala Award Committee announced on Saturday.
· Two more prominent personalities of Odisha will be honoured for their valuable contribution in the field of music and art. Dr Gopal Chandra Panda will be awarded with Ila Panda Memorial Music Samman while Dr Dinanath Pathi will receive Ila Panda Memorial Art Samman posthumously, a release said. A special function will be held on October 26, 2016, to felicitate Dr Mallick and others.
· Punjab Government has announced the names of 34 teachers, who will be bestowed with prestigious State Awards while 26 teachers will be honoured with appreciation letters on the Teachers’ Day at a state level function tomorrow.
· State Education Minister Dr. Daljit Singh Cheema said, 7 PES Cadre Officers/Employees will also be honoured with appreciation letters for their exemplary performance in the assigned duties.
· While announcing the names of teachers for state awards, Dr. Cheema said that a five member committee has made judicious selection of teaching fraternity for state awards. Dr. Cheema further said that 34 State Award Winner teachers would be honoured with a cash amount of Rs. 25000, appreciation letter, a medal and one year extension on service period.
· Fifth seed Sriram Balaji subdued top seed Seong Chan Hong of Korea 6-4, 7-6(3) for the title in the $10,000 ITF men’s Futures tennis tournament on Saturday.
· It was the seventh singles title in the professional circuit and first in two years for the 26-year-old Sriram Balaji, ranked 546 in the world.
· It was a double crown for Balaji as he had won the doubles title, his 34th in the professional circuit, with Vijay Sundar Prashanth.
· It was the second singles title in the professional circuit for Sasi Kumar, ranked 648 in the world, the sixth seed in the tournament.
· In the ITF women’s event in Egypt, Dhruthi Venugopal sailed into the semifinals by beating fourth seed Ola Abou Zekri of Egypt for the loss of four games.