- Odisha had the lowest conviction rateof 9.5% in criminal offences among all states in2015,National Crime Record Bureau figures have revealed.
- Of the39,066 cases registered under theIndian Penal Code in which trials were completed,only 3,692 resulted in conviction. Further, the rate of case pendency in the state stands at91.8%.
All-women Police Control Room vans launched in New Delhi
- In a first-of-its-kind initiative, Delhi Police on Friday flagged off five all-womenPolice Control Room (PCR) vehicles for improving woman safety in thecapital.
- The PCRs, each withthree women personnel, will play infive primary areas in New Delhi. One of the women personnel will be the driver of the PCR van,another will carry an MP-5 gun
India makes list, plans outreach to 68 countries end of 2016
- External Affairs Minister SushmaSwaraj said, “By 2016-end, we will not leave any country where Indian Ministers have not gone.” She said that the Ministry hadidentified 68 countrieswhich had not witnessed Ministerial-level visits from India.
- Amongthe first that will see visits by Ministerswill be East European countries, a government official said. As part of this plan, Electronics and IT MinisterRavi Shankar Prasad will be visitingEstonia and Latvia, while Home MinistryRajnath Singh will be going toHungary and Railways Minister Suresh Prabhu to Bosnia
Gorkhas demand indigenous status in Assam
- The Gorkhas have demanded that they be recognised as an indigenous community ofAssamin theNational Register of Citizens (NRC)updation process as they are“sons of (the) soil“.
- The Gorkha Autonomous Council Demand Committee further demanded thatno single illegal migrant’s or foreigner’s name should be included in the NRC and it should be upgraded constitutionally.
Mandi (Himachal Pradesh) and Sindhudurg (Maharashtra) Declared as cleanest districts in India
- The results of the2016 ‘SwachhSurvekshan’ (Cleanliness Index) for rural India was released on 8 September 2016.Mandi (Himachal Pradesh) and Sindhudurg (Maharashtra) were declared as the cleanest districts in India.Mandi wasjudged as the cleanest districtin “Hills” category andSindhudurg asthe cleanest in the“Plains” category.
- The results were declared by the Minister, Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Rural Development and Panchayati Raj. A total of22 hill districts and 53 plain areas were assessed under the GraminSwachhSurvekshan launched in May 2016. State wise, Sikkim and Kerala were ranked as top performing states in a Swachhta (cleanliness) survey conducted by the National Sample Survey Office (NSSO), while Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand were placed among the last on the table.
- Union Home MinisterRajnath Singh has been commissioned theoffshore patrolling (OPV) vessel,Sarathi, at Goa Shipyard Ltd (GSL), the defence shipyard insouth Goa. This vessel is the3rdin the series of six OPVs built by the shipyard for Indian Coast Guard.
- The ceremony was attended by Defence MinisterManoharParrikar, Director General of Indian Coast Guard Vice AdmiralRajendra Singh, Chairman and Managing Director of GSLShekhar Mittal, commanding officer ofOPV SarathiAtul Joshi and others.
Construction Workers pension scheme launched by Odisha
- The Odisha government has launched the construction workers pension scheme. It ensures financial assistance of300 rupees per monthto all registered construction workers after attaining the age of60 years and 500 rupees for construction workers of more than 80 years.
- According to chiefminister Naveen Patnaik, the state government has launched housing schemes for construction workers residing in rural areas. Financial assistance for workers has also been enhanced toRs 1.3 lakh under the scheme. He gave away work orders to 1000 construction workers at the function.
- A team of43 chefs made a total of5,836 pizzas within12 hours towards the end of athree-day pizza festival in Italy last week, as part of an attempt to break aGuinness World Record.
- The record is currently held by theNaples Academy of Pizza, which made5,070 pizzas in Switzerland last year.
India-Nepal Home Secretary-level talks conclude
- Home Secretary-level talks betweenIndia and Nepal concluded in Delhi on Friday. “During the talks, both sides reviewed the entire gamut of bilateralsecurity cooperationbetween the two countries and agreed tostrengthen it further,”.
- It was also decided that the nextround of talks will be held in Nepal at a mutually convenient date.
World’s largest wind turbine installed off UK coast
- Denmark-based Dong Energy has installed the first of theworld’s largest wind turbines at its Burbo Bank windfarm off the coast of Britain. The8 MW turbine stands 195 metres tall from sea level and has a rotor diameter of164 metres.
- The company plans to build32 such turbines, which can generate enough electricity topower 2, 30,000 homes
- India’s forex reserves increased by $989.5 millionto an all-time highof $367.76 billionin the week ended September 2, the Reserve Bank of India has said.
- Foreign currency assets, a major component of overall reserves,rose by $952.2 million to $342.23 billion,the RBI added. The total reserves had declinedmarginally to $366.77 billion in the previous reporting week.
NCR Corp to add 15,000 ATMs this fiscal
- US-based automated teller machine(ATM) manufacturer NCR Corporation is planning to add15,000 ATMs in India during the current fiscal,Managing DirectorNavrozeDasturhas said.
- Further, Dastur said that the company expects to maintain its share of48% in the ATM market, adding that out of the2.2 lakh ATMs in India, one lakh belong to NCR.
LIC Housing targets Rs.40,000 cr. loan disbursal
- LIC Housing Finance is looking at a17.6 per cent growthin its total loan disbursementat Rs.40,000crore this fiscal, a top company official said. The company had achieved loans disbursalof Rs.34,000crore last fiscal, LICHousing Finance MD and CEO Sunita Sharmasaid here.
- HDFC Ergo General Insurance Company (HDFC ERGO) has completed the acquisitionof 100 percent shares of L&T General Insurance Company (L&T Insurance) for Rs. 551 crore. The company has recently received approvals from the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDA) and Competition Commission of India.
- Mukesh Kumar, Executive Director at HDFC ERGOhas been appointed as the new Managing Director& CEO of L&T General Insurance Company Limited. Subsequent to this transaction and post necessary regulatory approvals, L&T Insurance is proposed to be renamed as HDFC General Insurance Limited (HDFC General).
BSE becomes 1st Indian stock exchange to file for IPO
- Asia’s oldest stock exchange BSEon Friday filed draft papers with markets regulator SEBI for its initial public offering (IPO), which will make it the first Indian stock exchange to be listed.
- The IPO of India’s second biggest exchange is expected to rangebetween INR 1,200 crore and INR 2,000 crore. Earlier, NSE said it plans to file for listing next year.
Nissan sells India-made Datsun GO+ in South Africa
- Japanese auto maker Nissan Friday said it has started selling India-made entry levelmulti-purpose vehicle Datsun GO+ in South Africa. “Sales of the Datsun GO+,produced at the Renault—Nissan Alliance plant in Oragadam near Chennai, began on August 31, 2016 in South Africa,
- Dilip Kumar Mandal has been appointed managing director (MD)& chief executive officer (CEO) ofIDBI Asset Management Company (AMC). Prior to joining IDBI AMC,Mandal was chief general manager& zonal head of retail banking group, IDBI Bank, covering the states ofOdisha, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand, and based at Bhubaneswar.
- IDBI Bank is an Indian government-owned financial service company, formerly known as Industrial Development Bank of India,headquartered in Mumbai, India.
- PepsiCo CEO and Chairman IndraNooyi was ranked 2nd on the list of Fortune’s 51 Most Powerful Women list.The list is topped by Mary Barra, CEO and Chairman of General Motors.
- Nagaland ChiefMinister T R Zeliang has received ‘Pangkor Dialogue Award 2016‘in Malaysia for the efforts made by the people of the state for environmental preservation and promotion. He was awarded bythe organisers- Institute DarulRudzuan and Malaysian government.
- He appealed to the people of Nagaland to continue environmental preservation and development. Mr.Zeliang told that the people of Naga should cooperate with the government to undertake mass tree plantation every year and preserve natural flora and fauna.
Haryana bagged Best Horticulture State award
- Haryana has bagged ‘Best Horticulture State’ award for the concerted efforts made by the state government to increase the income of the farmers in horticulture.The award was received by Haryana Agriculture Minister OP Dhankaron 9 September 2016 at two-day9th Agricultural Leadership Summit 2016. The summit was organized by Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA) in New Delhi.
- At present, about2.5 lakh hectares of land of the state is under horticulture and a target has been set to increase it up to nine lakh hectares. For this purpose, the state has decided to set aHorticulture University in the state. It also decided to set up centers of excellence in horticulture in every district of the state and create 340 horticulture villages in the state.
- In addition, it would also set biggestHorticulture Mandi of the country at Ganaur on the pattern of RungisMandi of France and Shenzhen Mandi of China.Besides, the 2016 best agriculture state award went to Odisha. It was awarded with the award in recognition of the efforts towards development of agriculture and bringing rural prosperity.
- Moscow-basedsecurity companyKaspersky Lab has introducedthe ‘Kaspersky Cybersecurity Index’ to measure current cyber-threat levels faced by internet users.
- Based on behavioral data collected from thousands of global users, the index shows thatalthough 29% of users have experienced some form of cybercrime, only60% have installed security solutions on all devices they use for internet access
NASA launches first mission to collect samples from asteroid:
- The US space agencyNASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) has launched itsfirst mission to collect samples from an asteroid and return them to Earth in hopes of learning more about the origins of life. Thespacecraft OSIRIS-REx(unmanned) blasted off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.
- The800 million dollar mission will travel for two years on a journey to Bennu.OSIRIS-REx’s main goal is to gather dirt and debris from the surface of the asteroid and return it to Earth by 2023 for further study.
- VasundharaRaje lead Rajasthan Government has signedMoUwitheducational institutes, which will adopt50 Adarsh and UtkarshVidyalaya in the state for developing education sector infrastructure. The MoU was signed in the presence of chief minister VasundharaRaje.
- The organisation, Gems education, will contribute towards curriculum enhancement and capacity building. It will also adopt five District Institution of Education and Training (DIET) and State Institute of Education Research and Training (SIERT) Udaipur.
- Lochte, who won gold in the4×200 metres freestyle relay in Rio, will also forfeit bonus money from the Games, monthly funding he receives from USOC and USA Swimming and will not beallowed access to USOC training centres.
- He will miss next year’s national championships and will therefore not be eligible for the world championships in July. He must perform20 hours of community service andwill miss Team USA’s post-Olympics trip to the White House.
- Lochte,32, admitted he “over-exaggerated”a tale about being robbed and held at gunpoint after a party during the Rio Olympics. Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger, James Feigen, Lochte’s swimming team mates who were involved in the incident, also received sanctions for violating the USOC’s code of conduct.
Advani 1st Indian medallist at Six-Red World C’ship
- Indiancueist PankajAdvani became the first Indianto win a medal at theSix-Red World Championships, after winning bronze at the 2016 edition of the tournament on Friday.
- Advani, who lost out to China’s Ding Junhui in the semi-finals, said, “Winning the first medal for India in this championship, with this level of competition means you have done well.
India’s medals at Rio Paralympic Games
- MariyappanThangavelu wonIndia’s first gold medal at the Rio Paralympics. He won the gold in the Men’sHigh Jump T-42event with a leap of1.89 metres. With this, Thangavelu also becamethe first Indian high-jumper to win gold at the Paralympics. This wasIndia’s overall third gold at the Games and the first after 12 years.
- In addition,Bronze in the event also went to India through Varun Singh Bhati, who jumped his personal best of1.86 metres to finish third. USA’s Sam Grewe bagged the silver medal. India had claimed a Gold and a Bronze at Athens in 2004.Javelin thrower DevendraJhajharia had thenwon the Gold, with Rajinder Singh claiming the Bronze in powerlifting.
Captain Manpreet Singh sets world record in bike stunt
- Captain Manpreet Singh of the Indian Armyon Friday set theGuinness world record for the “Longest continuous ride standing on the seat of a motorcycle”.
- He covered a distance of75.2 kilometres in 2 hrs 24 min and 12 secs in Jabalpur (Madhya Pradesh) on Friday, while standing on the seat of the motorcycle