Daily Current Affairs Updates–11th June 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
Union Railways Ministry flags off Champaran Satyagrah Express train in Bihar
· Union Railways Ministry has flagged off Champaran Satyagrah Express train at a function in Motihari, Bihar.
· The train was flagged off by Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu. This train will run between Bapudham, Motihari to AnandVihar, Delhi.
· Champaran Satyagrah Express train has been introduced to mark 100 years of the historic Champaran Satyagraha (movement) launched by Mahatma Gandhi in 1917.
MP eyes Rs.1.3k crore tourism investment in FY17
· Madhya Pradesh is expecting an investment of Rs.1,300 crore during the current 2016-17 fiscal for the upgradation of tourism infrastructure, the state Tourism’s Additional Managing Director TanviSundriyal said.
· Further, the state will develop rural tourism around the wildlife sanctuaries along with promoting them as meetings, incentives, conferencing, exhibitions (MICE) destinations, she added.
Congress observes ‘dhikkar divas’ in Odisha
· The Congress on Friday observed ‘dhikkar divas’ in Odisha to “highlight the failure” of the BijuJanata Dal (BJD) government in the state and the NDA government at the Centre.
· State Congress President Prasad Harichandan claimed 25,000 villages were not getting drinking water and 30 lakh people did not have access to electricity. The party held demonstrations across the state.
Telangana to set up ‘Pharma City’ near Hyderabad
· Telangana government today ordered setting up of a ‘Pharma City’ on 12,500 acres of land in Rangareddy and Mahbubnagar districts of the state.
· Telangana State Industrial Infrastructure Corporation (TSIIC) shall send detailed project proposal (DPR) to the government on modalities for implementation and execution of project and also carry out all aspects related to the development of this park in a transparent manner duly following all relevant rules, a government order said.
Machilipatnam town sanctioned for development under AMRUT scheme
· The Union Urban Development Ministry has sanctioned 37.5 crore rupees for development of Machilipatnam town under the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) scheme.
· K. Ravindra, the minister of Andhra Pradesh Excise and BC Welfare, said that the funds under the scheme should be used for development of amusement parks and beautification of the town, apart from development of cemeteries while he was in Machilipatnam addressing the media.
· At least Rs. 18 crore will be alloted to complete the pending drainage project that will help maintain better sanitary conditions in the historical town said the minister.
Delhi government renames flyover after Sikh icon
· The AAP government has announced to rename the Barapullah flyover in Delhi after Sikh icon Baba Banda Singh Bahadur.
· “The decision has been taken when the country is celebrating the 300th anniversary of the martyrdom of Baba Banda Singh Bahadur,” an official statement said.
· Notably, the move comes ahead of the assembly elections in Punjab in 2017.
Govt to invest Rs.25L cr in waterways, ports, rail
· The government plans to invest Rs.25 lakh crore to strengthen inland waterways, ports and railroad links, Union Minister NitinGadkari said.
· While projects involving Rs.2.5 lakh crore have already been started, works worth Rs.5 lakh crore will be started shortly, he further said.
· These projects would create about four crore jobs, he added.
Official site of Karnataka State Police hacked
· The official website of the Karnataka State Police was hacked by a hacker from ‘Team Pak Cyber Attackers’.
· The hacker posted a Pakistani flag on the home page of the website, besides writing messages like, “Shame on your security”.
· Even as the website was restored shortly afterwards, the cybercrime unit has been asked to investigate the matter, police said.
Union Ministry of Power launches Surya Mitra Mobile App
· The Union Ministry of Power has launched Surya Mitra mobile App to serve customers in the field of renewable energy.
· The app was launched by Union Power Minister PiyushGoyal at National Workshop on Rooftop Solar Power held in New Delhi.
· The App will serve customers at their doorsteps with quality installation, repair, and Observations and Measurements (O&M) in the field of renewable energy.
UP has a village named ‘Snapdeal.com Nagar’
· Uttar Pradesh’s Muzzafarnagar district has a village called ‘Snapdeal.com Nagar’, which was originally named Shiv Nagar.
· In 2011, Indian e-commerce company Snapdeal installed 15 hand pumps in the village so that the villagers need not walk long distances to fetch water.
· To express their gratitude, the villagers voted to name their village after Snapdeal.
India ranked 141 out of 163 countries on 2016 Global Peace Index
· India was ranked 141 on a Global Peace Index (GPI) for year 2016 out of 163 countries, making it less peaceful country.
· The GPI ranking of 163 countries was compiled by global think Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP).
· India has moved up two positions from 143rd rank in 2015 GPI.
Indo-US-Japan naval exercise starts in Western Pacific
· India, the US and Japan started the MALABAR-16 naval exercise off the Western Pacific coast, close to the disputed South China sea.
· Japan was included in the exercise as a permanent member in 2015, making the erstwhile Indo-US exercise a trilateral one.
· China, reacting to this, had earlier warned that Japan should not “heighten tensions” in the region.
Obama gives US military broader role in Afghan
· A United States official said that President Barack Obama has approved a broader role for American forces in Afghanistan, allowing them to accompany and enable Afghan forces onto the field.
· Currently, the American military is allowed to take action against insurgents when their assistance is required to prevent setbacks to the Afghan military, which puts them in a defensive position.
SBI, CaixaBank ink pact to fund Indo-Spanish JVs, local biz
· SBI and Spain’s CaixaBank have inked pact to provide loans to Indo-Spanish joint ventures and local enterprises here.
· State Bank of India (SBI) and CaixaBank have signed a memorandum of agreement to enhance business synergies.
· As per the agreement, they will expand banks’ guarantee transaction businesses by jointly providing credit to Indian-Spanish joint ventures and Indian local enterprises, SBI said in a statement.
Citigroup sues AT&T for trademark infringement
· Citigroup sued AT&T, saying the company’s use of “thanks” and “AT&T thanks” in a new customer loyalty program infringed its trademark rights to the phrase “thankyou.”
· Citigroup has been using the “ThankYou” trademark in its customer-loyalty program since 2004 and said that the “AT&T thanks” program launched on June 2 is likely to cause confusion among customers.
India Post invites logo design, tagline for its payments bank; winner to get Rs 50,000 as prize money
· India Post on 10 June 2016 launched a logo and tagline design contest for the soon to be set up India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) on the MyGov website.
· Union Cabinet gave its approval 1 June 2016 to set up the IPPB under the Department of Posts to further financial inclusion in India.
· India Post wants to involve the people of India in designing the DNA of the India Post Payments Bank. So, it is conducting a contest for the design.
· It has also initiated a nationwide survey to understand the needs of different segments of customers.
Factory output slips into -ve zone; shrinks 0.8%
· The Index of Industrial Production (IIP) for the month of April came in at a disappointing (-)0.8%. This implies that industrial production has contracted 0.80 per cent in April as against a growth of 3 per cent a year ago.
· This is the first IIP contraction in three months. The IIP had registered a growth of about 2 per cent in February this year. The provisional estimates of 0.1 per cent growth in March this year was revised slightly upwards to 0.3 per cent. The IIP declined by 1.6 per cent this January.
· The General Index for the month of April 2016 stands at 176.4. The cumulative growth for the period April-March 2015-16 over the corresponding period of the previous year stands at 2.4 per cent.
180% rise in tourist arrivals on e-visa in May
· The Tourism Ministry has said that India witnessed 180% rise in tourist arrivals on e-visa in May this year, as compared to the same month in 2015.
· While over 43,800 tourists arrived on e-visa this May, around 15,700 visited in May last year.
· Highest arrivals were from the USA, followed by the UK and China.
Fortis subsidiary fined Rs.500 cr on land dispute
· Hospital chain Fortis Healthcare said its subsidiary Escort Heart Institute and Research Centre has received an order from the government to deposit Rs.503 crore in a case concerning a disputed land allotted to Escort in 1982.
· However, Fortis said it will challenge the order that pertains to the recovery of unwarranted profit made by Escort.
Textile exports fall $7.5B short of FY16 target
· India’s textile exports for the 2015-16 fiscal stood at $40 billion, falling short of the $47.5 billion target, Joint Secretary in the Textile Ministry Sunaina Tomar said.
· Meanwhile, the new textile policy which aims to achieve $300 billion exports and create 3.5 crore additional jobs by 2024-25 may be unveiled soon, Textiles Minister Santosh Gangwar said.
· TVS Automobile Solutions invested a total of approximately $11 million in three startups, Jazzmyride, Autosense, and Redsun Telematics.
· Jazzmyride deals with auto parts and accessories, Autosense provides technology and analytics-based customer management services, while Redsun Technologies is an Internet of Things start-up that develops business solutions like connected cars.
Apple creates new company to sell solar energy
· Technology giant Apple has formed a new subsidiary, called Apple Energy LLC,in order to sell the surplus solar power generated by its campuses in Cupertino and Nevada.
· The new company filed a request with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, seeking authority to sell power on wholesale markets across the US starting from August 5, 2016.
· Ratan Tata, Chairman emeritus of Tata Sons, has invested an undisclosed amount in e-ticketing portal Kyazoonga.
· Founded in 2007 by Neetu Bhatia, Akash Bhatia and ArpitaMajumder, Kyazoonga is an entertainment and sports ticketing company, which has sold tickets for events like ICC Cricket World Cup and FIFA World Cup.
· The Information and Broadcasting Ministry has reportedly nominated BJP leader ShaziaIlmi and actress PoonamDhillon as the members of the Film Certification Appellate Tribunal (FCAT).
· The statutory body hears the appeals filed against the decisions of the censor board. Three other members of the five-person body are — Justice (retd) SK Mahajan, journalist ShekharIyer and advocate Bina Gupta.
Rakhi Birla elected Delhi Deputy Speaker
· AamAadmi Party (AAP) legislator Rakhi Birla got a unique birthday gift, she was elected the Deputy Speaker of the Delhi assembly.
· The proposal to make Birla the Deputy Speaker was made by Chief Minister ArvindKejriwal and seconded by Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia.
· The house, dominated by the AAP, backed the proposal by voice vote.
· Birla succeeds Bandana Kumari, also of the AAP who resigned last week.
AWARDS AND HONORS:
AAI bags national award for solar power projects
· The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has been conferred the National Award for Best Performing Central PSU for Roof Top Solar Power initiatives.
· It has installed 4.8 megawatt peak power (MWp) rooftop solar plants at 13 airports, generating approximately 51 lakh units of solar energy.
· Further, 4.9 MWp solar plants are expected to be installed at 14 other airports by December.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· Telecom operators in India have committed to invest Rs.12,000 crore for installing 60,000 telecom towers over the next three months to address the issue of call drops and improve service quality, Telecom Secretary JS Deepak said.
· Notably, each telecom operator, including Airtel, Idea and Reliance, has submitted a 100-day plan to the government to improve network quality.
Lenovo unveils bendable smartphone, tablet
· Lenovo showcased its concept bendable smartphone ‘CPlus’ and tablet ‘Folio’.
· The smartphone, which the company’s CTO said will come in two sizes, can reportedly be worn like a wearable device by wrapping it around the wrist, while the tablet can fold in half.
· However, Lenovo has not revealed any time frame for its launch.
· Indian ShuttlerSainaNehwal reached the finals of the Australian Open Super Series, defeating China’s Wang Yihan 21-8, 21-12 on Saturday.
· This will be her first finals appearance this year, after five semifinal losses. Nehwal will face China’s Sun Yu in the final on Sunday.
· In the men’s section, KidambiSrikanth lost his semifinal to Hans-KristianVittinghus 22-20, 21-13.
Messi hat-trick helps Argentina beat Panama 5-0
· A 19-minute hat-trick in the second-half from Lionel Messi ensured Argentina cruised to a 5-0 victory over 10-man Panama in the 2016 Copa America in Chicago.
· Nicolas Otamendi and Sergio Aguero scored the other two goals for Argentina. With this win, Argentina are now through to the quarter-finals of the tournament.
· Shooter AbhinavBindra has been chosen to be the flag-bearer of the Indian contingent at the Rio Olympics’ opening ceremony on August 5.
· Bindra is India’s only individual Olympic gold medallist, having clinched Gold in 10m Air Rifle at Beijing Olympics in 2008.
· Notably, India will be sending its largest ever contingent to the Olympics this time.
Veteran journalist Inder Malhotra passes away
· Veteran journalist Inder Malhotra passed away at a Delhi hospital on Saturday. He was 86. He had been on ventilator for some time.
· One of the most respected journalists of India, Mr. Malhotra had worked with The Statesman and then The Times of India, New Delhi.
· He began his career at the United Press of India which he joined immediately after graduating from the Punjab University.
· M.S. Krishna Bhat, former Chairman of Karnataka Bank (1995-2000), who is credited with consolidating the position of the Bank, passed away on Friday. He was 78.
· Mr. Bhat joined Karnataka Bank in 1970. He was promoted as General Manager in 1989 and became the Chief General Manager in 1994. He took over as Chairman on July 12, 1995 for a period of two years, which was extended for another three years up to July, 2000.
Singer Grimmie dies after Florida shooting, suspect dead
· Singer Christina Grimmie, who gained fame as a contestant on television singing contest “The Voice,” died after being shot at a concert in Orlando, Florida, police said on social media.
· Grimmie was signing autographs with band members of Before You Exit, with whom she performed earlier, when a gunman approached and opened fire before her brother tackled him at the Plaza Live music venue, the Orlando Police Department said on Twitter.
· Gordie Howe, known as “Mr. Hockey” for a tough but skillful playing style that shattered records over a long career that wove him into the national fabric of hockey-mad Canada, died at the age of 88.
· Howe, who died in Ohio with his family at his side, had two strokes in October 2014 and suffered from advanced dementia in recent years. His cause of death was not disclosed.
For More Daily Current Affairs Updates- Click Here