i. Union Minister for Chemicals& Fertilizers and Parliamentary AffairsAnanth Kumar has inaugurated the two day BRICS Wellness Workshop atBengaluru (Karnataka).
ii. The Workshop has been organised by Ministry ofAYUSH and Ministry of External Affairs with support of Government of Karnataka.
iii. It will discuss the importance oftraditional medicine in contemporary community health care due to its health promotive, disease preventive, curative, rehabilitative and rejuvenation properties.
- The two-day International Buddhist Conclave will begin on October 3 inSarnath, Uttar Pradesh. Prime Minister NarendraModi and Uttar Pradesh Chief MinisterAkhileshYadav will attend the inauguration, which is being organised by the Tourism Ministry.
- Buddhists and foreign delegates from over40 nations are expected to attend the meet aimed at promoting Buddhist sites inBodhgaya and Sarnath
- Karnataka’sInchal village, with a population of about6,000, reportedly has at least one teacher in every house, with thehighest number being 13 for one family.These teachers work in government-aided institutions as well as non-aided ones.
- The village, which considers teaching as the‘most noble’ profession, reportedly has over600 people who have opted to be teachers
- The 2-day Indo-US Economic Summit will begin inNew Delhi from September 13. Leaders from business, government and academia from both the countries will participate in the summit. They will deliberate on ways to enhance bilateral trade and investments between India and the US.
- It will be inaugurated byRichard Verma, the US ambassador to India, and will be addressed by Union Ministers — including Information& Broadcasting MinisterVenkaiah Naiduand Food Processing Industries MinisterHarsimrat Kaur Badal along with top global executives. The summit will bring together more than250 people, who are thought leaders from business, government, civil society and academia.
- The government is planning to build a memorial forSantKabir in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh,either in Prime Minister NarendraModi’s constituencyVaranasi or in Maghar, where the Sant’s body rests. This comes afterSharadTripathi, a BJP MP from SantKabir Nagar district, met Union Minister Mahesh Sharma regarding the same and reportedly demanded ₹80 crore from the Centre
Patanjali Mega Food and Herbal Park in Mihan at Nagpur
- Renowned Yog Guru and founder of Patanjali groupBaba Ramdev has laid the foundation stone of his dream project Patanjali Mega Food and Herbal Park inMihan area which is located atoutskirts of Nagpur.
- On this occasion Maharashtra Chief MinisterDevendraFadnavis, Union Transport MinisterNitinGadkari,and AcharyaBalkrishnamaked their presence. This mega food park will comprise of Patanjali’s production units and it would provide direct employment to10,000 youths.
- India along with 10 other member countries of WHO’s South-East Asian Regional Committee decided to set up a dedicated fund aimed at building preparednessfor health emergencies in the region.
- The joint funding stream will be established under theSouth-East Asia Regional Health Emergency Fund (SEARHEF).The decision was made at the69th session of WHO Regional CommitteeMeeting held atColombo, Sri Lanka. The decision would help the member countries to invest in human resources and infrastructure at times of emergencies, as it is one of the most disaster-prone regions.
- WHO South-East Asia region committee comprises 11 member states namely Bangladesh, Bhutan, South Korea, India, Indonesia, Maldives, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Thailand and Timor-Leste
- Vietnam won its first-everParalympic gold medal after paraweightlifter Le Van Cong lifted 183 kgs, to set a new world record at the event. Vietnam also ended its six-decade-long wait for an Olympic gold last month in Rio with a record-breaking performance by shooterHoang XuanVinh in the 10-metre air pistol shooting event.
- AuthorChetanBhagathas revealed that the upcoming film‘Half Girlfriend’ has become the first Indian film to be shot at theUnited Nations headquarters in New York.
- Chetan added that the film’s lead male characterMadhavJha, played byArjun Kapoor, works at the UN. The film, which also starsShraddha Kapoor, will release on May 19, 2017.
- TheKremlhoftheater in Austria’s Villach city, which seats only eight people, is thesmallestprofessionaltheaterby seat capacity, according toGuinness World Records.
- It opened in 2009 and has been staging regular shows since January 2010. With a stage measuring 1.30 by 1.30 metre, the theater does not sell any tickets and accepts donations from the guests
- TheCurve Fashion Festival for women over size14 was held in Liverpool, United Kingdom on Saturday. The festival, which claims to be the largest of its kind in the country, was held for the second time after its inaugural event last year.
- The 2015 Curve Fashion Festival, featuring fashion shows and industry seminars, was attended byover 1,100 women
- The world’s mosttalented developers belong toChina and Russia, according to a recent study byHackerRank, a platform that ranks programmers based on theircoding skills. Based on accuracy and speed, the Chinese were foundto excel in maths and functional programming, while the Russians dominated in algorithms. India’s and the US’ overall ranks were31 and 28 respectively.
- Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT)launched e-nivaran (electronic resolution) facility for online redressal oftaxpayers’ grievances. The grievances can be related to refunds, Income Tax Returns(ITRs), Tax Deducted at Source(TDS), and Permanent Account Number(PAN) among others.
- It was started with an aim to reduce instances of harassment of the public when it comes to complaints related to the Income Tax (IT) department. It will be available on thee-filing portal (http://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in)of the department.
iii. Qatar National Bank is a Qatari commercial bankheadquarteredinDoha, Qatar. As of 2014, it is the second largest bank in Africa and the Middle East in terms of assets.
- Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPIs) have pumped innearly INR 6,800 crore in the Indian capital markets so far in September, driven by strong global and domestic cues.
- According to depositors’ data, net investments stood atINR 3,178 crore in equities, while that for debt markets was atINR3,617 crore. Good monsoon and positive quarterly results enthused investor sentiment, analysts said.
- Equity mutual funds registered a net inflowof INR 6,505 crore in August, the highest inflow since August 2015, data by Association of Mutual Funds in India stated.
- Good monsoon, progress on theGST Bill, and positive US economy data contributed to the increase, analysts said. With this, thetotal mobilisation in equity schemes has reachedINR18,490crore during this fiscal
- BJP leaderSubramanian Swamy has been given the“Tamil Ratna” award by a body ofTamil diaspora in the US for fighting corruption and working for transparency in governance.
- The award was conferred toSwamy by the America Tamil Sangam. India is again “projecting the message that it can be governed in the most transparent manner”, Swamy said
- A 6 feet 4 inch tall Holsteinbull from aUS zoo is vying for the title of the world’s tallest bovine. He was measured last week, but Guinness World Records is yet to declare him the record-holder.
- The record for the tallest bovine is currently heldby Blossom, a 6 feet 2 inch tall cow which died last year
- The Lincoln Plaza in London has won the 2016 Carbuncle Cup for beingthe ‘ugliest’ building completed in the United Kingdom in the past one year. The residential luxury tower block was called a“brain-numbing jumble of discordant shapes” and awarded the Carbuncle Cup by architectural magazine Building Design. A London skyscraper dubbed the‘Walkie Talkie’ won the 2015 award.
- Filipino drama film‘The Woman Who Left’, directed byLav Diaz won the top‘Golden Lion’ award for the best film at the73rd Venice International Film Festivalwhich ended on Saturday.
- Oscar Martínez won the ‘Best Actor’ award for the film‘The Distinguished Citizen’, whileEmma Stone was named the‘Best Actress’ for the film ‘La La Land’.
- Odishahas bagged9th Global Agriculture Leadership Award 2016 at the National Level gathering of important stake-holders in agriculture development at theAgriculture Leadership Summit at Hotel Taj Palace, New Delhi.
- Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA) have awarded Odisha in the category ofBest Agriculture State-2016in recognition of the efforts towards development of agriculture and bringing rural prosperity.
- British surgeons have successfully performed theworld’s first robotic operation inside the eye, potentially revolutionizing the way such conditions are treated.
- The procedure was carried out at John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford. “With a robotic system, we open up a whole new chapter of eye operations that currently cannot be performed,” said the SurgeonRobert MacLaren
- A British company has developed a concept headset called‘Viewi’ to diagnose and monitor glaucoma at home using smartphones. A connected mobile app will test the sensitivity of the users’ eyes by flashing lights at varying points of the visual field.
- The headset,priced at around $26, will enable cheap diagnosis of one of the leading causes of blindness.
- Iran on Saturday began building a nuclear plant with Russian help,in a $10 billion project, after agreeing to limit itsnuclear stockpile last year. Iran already operates a Russian-built nuclearreactor at Bushehr,its first. Notably, Russia had signed a deal with Iran in 2014 to build up to eight more reactors in the country
- The Rio 2016 Paralympic Games is thesecond most attended Paralympic Games in the history of the event. A total of 1.8 million ticketshas been sold for the event, surpassing the1.7 million tickets sold forthe Beijing Paralympics eightyears ago. The most attended Paralympic Games is the 2012 London Games in which 2.8 million tickets were sold
- Newly crowned world number oneGermany’s Angelique Kerber beat Czech Karolina Pliskova 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 to win hermaiden US Open title and her second overall Grand Slam title.
- The 28-year-old, who is thefirst German to win the US Open sinceSteffi Graf in 1996, is the oldest player to make her debut atop the women’s tennis rankings
- Great Britain’sJamie Murray and Brazil’s Bruno Soares won theirsecond Grand Slam doubles title, defeating SpaniardsPablo CarreñoBusta and Guillermo García-López 6-2, 6-3 on Saturday.
- This wasMurray’s third doubles slam title of his career, and second with Bruno Soares, with the pair winning the Australian Open earlier this year.
- Explosive West Indies opener Chris Gayle launched his autobiography ‘Six Machine’, which contains extensive details about his life and career.
- Published by Viking-Penguin UK, the book was unveiled byAnurag Singh Thakur, President of the BCCI.