Daily Current Affairs Updates–21st June 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
June 21- International Yoga Day:
· The International Day of Yoga was on 21 June 2016 observed across the world with the theme Connect the Youth.
· This year’s observance of the Day highlights the important role healthy living plays in the realization of the Sustainable Development Goals, adopted in 2015 by all 193 UN Member States.
· In India, the Union Government organised the event titled The National Event of Mass Yoga Demonstration at the Capitol Complex in Chandigarh where Prime Minister NarendraModi himself performed yoga.
PM Modi to get new ‘Air India One’ plane
· PM NarendraModi is set to get a new aircraft, Air India One, which will be equipped with hi-tech security equipment and latest communication facilities.
· The aircraft can store food for 2,000 people, withstand grenade and rocket attacks, has air-to-air refuelling facilities, operation theatre for emergency along with broadband and anti-missile defence systems.
PM Modi releases stamps on Surya Namaskara:
· Prime Minister NarendraModi released postage stamps on Surya Namaskara to mark the second International Yoga Day to be celebrated on June 21.
· The stamps, of Rs.5 and Rs.25, depict the 12 ‘asanas’ constituting the Surya Namaskara.
· Communications Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad has directed India Post to make the stamps available in all major post offices across India.
Government releases draft National Forest Policy:
· The Environment Ministry has released the draft National Forest Policy, which if enforced, will replace the current 1988 policy.
· It seeks to levy a green tax for facilitating ecologically responsible behaviour and has proposed to establish National and State Boards of Forestry.
· However, the policy has done away with the existing target of two-thirds forest cover for the hilly areas.
2,000 women set world record in pregnatal yoga:
· Nearly 2,000 pregnant women set a new world record by performing yoga in Rajkot, Gujarat, on the occasion of International Yoga Day.
· This breaks the previous record in prenatal yoga that had 940 pregnant women in China participate in the activity.
· Further, 8,000 children in Gujarat set a world record by making a human chain, CM Anandiben Patel said.
First-ever National Yoga Olympiad held in Delhi
· The first-ever National Yoga Olympiad was held in Delhi from June 18-20. Organised by the NCERT, the olympiad saw participation from 321 children from 21 states and union territories.
· HRD Minister SmritiIrani distributed 48 medals at the olympiad, where the participants were tested on the yogic practices of asana, pranayam, kriya, dhyana, bandha, and mudra.
Union Government bans use of Potassium Bromate as food additive:
· The Union Government banned use of potassium bromate (KbrO3) as a food additive on recommendation of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
· FSSAI in its recommendation asked health ministry to remove potassium bromate, a cancer causing chemical, from the list of permissible food additives.
· CSE in study found that 84 percent of 38 commonly available brands of pre-packaged breads, including pav and buns, tested positive for potassium bromate and potassium iodate (KIO3).
· Besides, FSSAI has referred potassium iodate, also claimed to be carcinogenic used as a food additive, to a scientific panel.
· These two food additives are banned in many countries and listed as hazardous for public health.
Punjab government launches MukhMantri Punjab Hepatitis C Relief Fund:
· Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal launched the fund titled MukhMantri Punjab Hepatitis C Relief Fund to provide free treatment for patients affected by Hepatitis C.
· With this initiative,Punjab became the first Indian state to provide free treatment to confirmed cases of Hepatitis C.
Delhi starts portal to facilitate student loans
· Delhi Chief Minister ArvindKejriwal launched an online portal to facilitate loans to financially weak students who wish to pursue higher studies in the city after class 12.
· Students in Delhi should not be denied quality education due to lack of resources, he asserted. He claimed that no bank can deny loan applications under this initiative.
Railways’ new rules to be effective from July 1:
· The new set of rules introduced by the Indian Railways, including 50% refund of the amount paid for a tatkal ticket, will be effective from July 1.
· Further, the number of coaches on Rajdhani and Shatabdi Express will be increased, IRCTC ticket bookings will begin in various languages and a ‘wake-up call destination’ will be given to passengers in trains.
Madhya Pradesh inks MoU with Chinese firm on $1bn investment:
· The Madhya Pradesh government signed anMoU with Chinese heavy machinery manufacturing firm Sany Group for working on investment proposals worth $1 billion.
· Sany Group reportedly expressed interest in investing in the state’s energy sector and industrial infrastructure.
· CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan said his government will ensure ease of business for the firm in the state.
Delhi launches project to ease school admissions:
· The Delhi government launched a pilot project to facilitate easy procurement of certificates needed for school admissions.
· Under this initiative, one teacher or IT person from each school will be trained help students obtain the required certificates in the school itself, eliminating the need for them to visit the District Magistrate’s office,Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia said.
· Langtang: A popular trekking site in Nepal that was worst hit by the devastating earthquake
· The International Astronomical Union in June 2016 named a 9.8 kilometers wide crater on Mars as Langtang, a popular trekking site in Nepal.
· Langtang is one of the villages of Nepal that was worst hit by the 25 April 2015 earthquake. As per reports, at least 215 people were killed in the village after the quake triggered an avalanche.
India, Thailand signed 2 agreements on cooperation in culture and education sectors:
· India and Thailand signed two agreements that are aimed at enhancing cooperation in culture as well as educational sectors.
· The set of agreements pertains to extension of the Cultural Exchange Programme (CEP) for 2016-19 and a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Nagaland University and Thailand’s Chiang Mai University.
· The agreements were signed in New Delhi during the 3-day visit ofThailand Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha.
· PayPal Co-founder and early Facebook backer Peter Thiel was today re-elected to the Facebook’s board of directors despite the backlash against him for funding the Hulk Hogan lawsuit against Gawker Media.
· Facebook’s entire board was re-elected, including Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg, Marc Andreessen and others.
· The State Bank of India (SBI) was named in the Hall of Shame list of 158 banking institutions that have invested billions of dollars in companies making cluster bombs.
· The list was prepared by Dutch campaign groupPAX Worldwide Investments in Cluster Munitions report.
· State Bank of India (SBI) is the only Indian entity on the list that includes global giants like JP Morgan, Barclays, Bank of America and Credit Suisse.
Government allows complete PPF withdrawal after 5 yrs
· The government changed the norms for Public Provident Fund (PPF) deposits, allowing the subscribers of the scheme to prematurely close their accounts and withdraw the complete amount after five years
· However, the withdrawal will be allowed for expenditure towards higher education or medical treatment.
· Currently, the lock-in period for complete withdrawal from PPF accounts is 15 years.
· Interest rates for Small Savings Schemes will remain unchanged for the next quarter beginning July, government notified.
· Presently the rate of interest for both Five Year National Savings Certificate and Public Provident Fund Scheme is 8.1 per cent.
· The rate of interest for KisanVikasPatra is 7.8 and SukanyaSamriddhi Account Scheme is 8.6 per cent.
· Interest rates for small savings schemes are notified by the government on quarterly basis.
AWARDS AND HONORS:
· The PatanjaliYogpeeth Trust created a new Guinness World Record of 408 people simultaneously doing the ‘sirsasana’ (headstand).
· The event, presided over by yoga guru Baba Ramdev, was held on the occasion of the second International Yoga Day in Faridabad.
· It was reportedly attended by over one lakh citizens including BJP National President Amit Shah.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
· Tata Advanced Systems Limited (TASL) and Boeing celebrated the foundation laying of a new facility in Hyderabad for its joint venture named Tata Boeing Aerospace (TBAL).
· The joint venture has been established to co-produce Boeing AH-64 Apache helicopter fuselages and other aero structures, as well as to pursue integrated systems in aerospace.
· The facility has been under development in pursuance of a framework agreement signed between the two companies in July 2015.
Flipkart named India’s most sought-after company:
· Online retailer Flipkart has topped LinkedIn’s ‘Top Attractors’ list of the most sought-after companies by professionals across India.
· Amazon and Capgemini have been ranked second and third respectively.
· The list, released on Monday, featured a total of 25 companies including Google, Adobe, Ola, Snapdeal, Microsoft and Zomato among others.
· Apple has topped LinkedIn’s ‘Top Attractors’ list of the most sought-after companies by professionals across the world.
· Cloud computing company Salesforce and social media platform Facebook have been ranked second and third respectively.
· The list, released on Monday, featured a total of 40 companies including Google, Amazon, Microsoft and Uber.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· The 2016 edition of Top500 list of supercomputers has revealed that China’s Sunway TaihuLight supercomputer is the world’s most powerful supercomputer system.
· Sunway-TaihuLight can perform calculations withprocessing speed of 124.5 petaflops per second (Pflops).
· It is world’s first system to surpass 100 petaflops.
· This supercomputer has displaced Tianhe-2, an Intel-based Chinese supercomputer that has claimed the top spot on the past six Top500 lists.
Other supercomputers in Top500 list:
ü Second position: An Intel-based Chinese Tianhe-2 supercomputer which can perform calculations with processing speed of 33.86 Pflops.
ü Third position: Supercomputer Titan of the US Department of Energy. It has a performance of 17.59 Pflops.
ü Fourth position: Supercomputer It is an IBM BlueGene/Q system installed at DOE’s Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
ü Fifth position: Supercomputer Fujitsu’s K computer. It has been installed at the RIKEN Advanced Institute for Computational Science (AICS) in Japan.
Top Countries in the list:
ü China (1st position) with 167 super computer systems,
ü US (2nd position) with 165 systems, Japan (3rd position),
ü Germany (4th position) with 26 systems,
ü France (5th position) with 18 systems,
ü Britain (6th position) with 12 systems.
London startup develops home blood test kit
· London-based startup Thriva has developed a $72 finger-prick blood test home kit that enables users to test their cholesterol, kidney and liver function.
· Each kit includes lancets to prick a finger, a collection tube and a prepaid envelope to return the sample.
· The samples need to be sent to the startup, which creates a report and suggests lifestyle changes.
· Twitter bought London-based AI startup Magic Pony Technology for a reported $150 million.
· Founded in 2014, Magic Pony uses machine learning to create high-quality pictures and videos from grainy footage.
· The services will likely be integrated into Twitter’s live and video services such as Periscope and Vine.
· Twitter had previously acquired machine learning startups Madbits and Whetlab.
Sphero’s new robot teaches coding to kids:
· Sphero launched its new robot ‘SPARK+’, priced at $130, that teaches basic principles of coding to the kids.
· The fully programmable waterproof rolling robot lets kids customise the speed, angle and colour of the robot through a dedicated app.
· Creations made with the robot can also be shared with a community through the app.
· Japanese footballer Kazuyoshi Miura has broken his own record to become the oldest goalscorer in Japan’s football league.
· Miura, aged 49 years, is currently the world’s oldest active football player, and is playing in his 31st season as a professional.
· Before retiring internationally, Miura scored 55 goals in 89 appearances for Japan.
For More Daily Current Affairs Updates- Click Here