Daily Current Affairs Updates– 24th July 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
· Railway minister Suresh Prabhu inaugurated India’s first ‘green train corridor’ – a 114-km stretch between Rameswaram and Manamadurai in Tamil Nadu.
· A green corridor or zero toilet discharge section envisages that all trains crossing that route will have bio-toilets, thereby eliminating open discharge of waste on the tracks.
· Railways has provided 40,750 bio-toilets in trains, as of June-end.
Naidu lays foundation stone for MSME technology centre:
· Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu laid the foundation stone for an MSME technology centre under a World Bank-funded programme.
· Naidu was addressing a gathering after laying the foundation stone for a facility to be set up under Technology Centre Systems Programme (TCSP) at Pudi village in Atchutapurammandal.
· TCSP is a World Bank-funded project being implemented by Union Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME).
· Prime Minister NarendraModi will flag off the broad gauge train service between Delhi and Agartala from the national capital on July 31.
· The new direct train would be named as ‘TripureswariSuper Fast express’.
Suresh Prabhu to start work on new India-Bangladesh railway project on July 31:
· Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu will lay the foundation stone for a newIndia-Bangladesh railway project and flag-off the Agartala to New Delhi passenger train service on July 31.
· India’s majestic aircraft carrier INS Viraat, which is slated to be decommissioned later this year, set sail for the last time from Mumbai for Kochi on July 23.
· The ship set sail for Essential Repairs and Dry Docking (ERDD) at the Cochin Shipyard.
· Vice Admiral GirishLuthra, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief Western Naval Command and other senior officers of the command, visited the ship and interacted with the crew prior to her departure.
Government to invest Rs.200 crore to scale up incubators:
· NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant said that the government will identify 10 startup incubators out ofexisting 200 such centres and invest Rs.200 crore to scale up their capacity by 10 times.
· Each selected incubator will receive Rs.20 crore. Kant added, “We’re going to open 100 new incubation centres this year. We have received 3,000 applications for it.”
· The Cabinet Committee on Security, headed by Prime Minister NarendraModi, has approved 12 India Reserve Battalions for Left Wing Extremism affected states.
· The government has also given an approval to the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) for raising a ‘Bastariya’ battalion comprising only of tribals, which will be stationed for five years in Chhattisgarh.
India is youngest startup nation: Commerce Min
· India is the world’s youngest startup nation with 72% of the founders below the age of 35 years, the Commerce and Industry Minister NirmalaSitharaman.
· Claiming that startups are the country’s “next big economic force”, Sitharaman added that around 4,400 technology startups exist in India, and this number is expected to reach over 12,000 by 2020.
· Prime Minister NarendraModi has asked people with undeclared assets to come clean by 30th of September this year, and take benefit from the Income Declaration Scheme.
· Speaking at a felicitation function organized for the Prime Minister byAll India Gems and Jewelery Trade Federation, Mr.Modi said it is a better alternative than living in fear of the government and Income Tax officers.
3-day meeting between BSF& Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) begins in Agartala:
· A three-day meeting between Border Security Force (BSF) and Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) began in Agartala to sort out problems along the border.
· BSF officials said, a 21-member BGB delegation, led by Brig Gen Mohammad HabibulKarim, arrived in Agartala through Akhaura Check post.
· Foreign Ministers from the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) have begun a series of meetings in the Laotian capital of Vientiane.
· Laotian Prime Minister ThonglounSisoulith stressed the importance of the association developing as a community.
· US Secretary of State John Kerry, and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yiare among the delegates attending meetings on the sidelines of the summit.
Salzburg Festival begins in Austria:
· The Salzburg Festival began in the Austrian town of Salzburg, which was the birthplace of late composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
· Established in 1920, the festival will run through August and feature numerous concerts as well as opera and theatre performances.
· Over 2.5 lakh people attend the festival annually.
· Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo unveiled the Pestana CR7, his first hotel, developed in association with the Pestana Hotel Group in Funchal on his home island, Madeira.
· The hotel will have branches in New York, Lisbon and Madrid, with the estimated cost of building the four hotels being around $82 million.
· The Madrid and New York projects are slated for 2017.
· The Managing Director of HDFC bank, AdityaPuri is the highest paid banker in India with a total package of Rs.31.53 crore, according to VCCircle’s analysis.
· ChandaKochhar, MD and CEO of ICICI bank, came next with a ₹18.59-crore total package.
· Notably, top private banks, except Kotak Mahindra, offered 20-30% pay hike on cash compensation to CEOs in 2015-16.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
Startup Village named best incubator in India:
· Kochi’s Startup Village has topped the ‘100 Best Startup Incubators in India’ list released on Friday by the India edition of Entrepreneur Magazine.
· Since 2012, Startup Village has supported nearly 590 physical and virtual incubatees in Kochi and 200 in Vizag.
· The incubator in 2015 had received theNational Award for Technology Business Incubator from the government.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) are jointly working on the development of a resource mapping satellite.
· The Dual FrequencySynthetic Aperture Radar Imaging Satellite, named ‘NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR)‘, is slated to be completed and launched by 2021, the Indian Parliament has been informed.
Karbonn launches third manufacturing unit in Haryana:
· Indian smartphone brandKarbonn Mobiles announced setup of a new state of the art mobile manufacturing plant in Bawal, Haryana with a focus to create lucrative employment opportunities for the local population.
ü Haryana Governor Kaptan Singh Solanki
ü Haryana CM ManoharLalKhattar
ü Haryana Capital Chandigarh
· Apple Inc is planning to open its first Apple Store in Taiwan, a move that comes after the U.S. technology giant raised $1.38 billion in a bond offering last month on the island that is home to many companies in its supply chain.
ü Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen
ü Taiwan Capital Taipei
ü Taiwan Currency Dollar
· Indian para-swimmer Vishwas KS won three medals at the 2016 Speedo Can Am Para-swimming Championships in Canada last week.
· Vishwas won a silver medal each in 100-metre backstroke and breaststroke, and a bronze in 50-metre butterfly stroke.
· Vishwas, who wishes to participate in the 2020 Olympics, lost both his hands when he was 10 years old.
Indian men’s junior cycling team is world no 1:
· The Indian men’s junior cycling team has topped the Union CyclisteInternationale world rankings, which is a first for India in the sport across any age category.
· The team, which was ranked 149th in 2013, jumped 10 places from the ratings released three months ago. However, the team failed to qualify for the Rio Olympics, which begins from August 5.
· Neeraj Chopra, javelin thrower, set a new junior world record en route to winning the gold medal at the IAAF World Under-20 Athletics Championship at Bydgoszcz, Poland.
· His effort of 86.48m is thefirst world record ever by an Indian in athletics.
New skating world record set in hula-hooping:
· Australian roller-skater Marawa Ibrahim set a record for the longest duration on high-heel skates while spinning three hula hoops, taking 2 minutes 29 seconds to complete the spin.
· Marawa also holds the record for most hula hoops spun simultaneously, spinning 200 rings at once, besides reportedly completing the fastest 100-metre sprint in high-heel rollerskates.
· In order to create‘Olympic Fever’ in the country ahead of next month’s multi-sporting spectacle in Brazil, Prime Minister NarendraModi will flag off ‘Run for Rio’ event at India Gate in New Delhi on July 31.
For Daily Current Affairs – Click Here