Daily Current Affairs Updates–28th June 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
Modi government launches RFID-based access control system at Cochin Port
· Moving towards modernisation of sea ports, Modi government has inaugurated an RFID-based access control system at the Cochin Port.
· RFID (Radio Frequency Identification System) is an access control system on digital platform for regulating movement of vehicles, cargo and people into the sensitive wharf area.
· The system dispenses away with manual checkings and reduces the waiting time at the wharf gates, says the Ministry of Shipping release. Presently, access control of vehicles and persons is done through a manual gate pass system.
Delhi hospitals to provide subsidised treatment to North East people
· Thirty-two Delhi hospitals have agreed to provide subsidised treatment to the people of the northeastern region living in the national capital under a reach-out programme.
· More than 11 lakh people from the northeast are either working in private sectors or studying in Delhi and the National Capital Region and most of them do not have any medical insurance or facilities, nor they can avail the central government health scheme (CGHS) like government servants.
Assam’s Majuli becomes India’s 1st island district
· Assam’s Majuli, a 400-square-kilometre island in the Brahmaputra river, became India’s first island district.
· This came after Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal won the recently held Assembly elections from Majuli, a constituency reserved for scheduled tribes.
· The decision was taken in the first cabinet meeting of the new BJP-led government, that had assumed office on May 24.
AP govt signs deal forRs.10k cr fertiliser plant
· The Andhra Pradesh government signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with a three-nation consortium for the construction of a₹10,183 crore gas-based fertiliser plant near Krishnapatnam.
· The project, approved by Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu during his ongoing visit to China, has been proposed to commence by 2017 and is expected to generate nearly 5,000 jobs.
Andhra to set up $6.4 bn building materials park
· The Andhra Pradesh government signed an MoU with Chinese firms to establish a Building Materials Industrial Park and a Modern Building Materials Logistics Park with an expected investment of $6.4 billion.
· The project is expected to employ around 45,000 people. The park will manufacture materials like wood, cement, concrete, bricks, tiles, ceramics, and composite materials, among others.
Cabinet Committee on Parliamentary Affairs to meet tomorrow to decide Monsoon session dates
· The Cabinet Committee on Parliamentary Affairs chaired by Home Minister Rajnath Singh, will meet tomorrow to decide the schedule of the Monsoon session, which is expected to start in the third week of July.
· The session comes at a time when the ruling BJP’s morale is high after its maiden victory in Assam Assembly polls and its performance in Kerala and West Bengal elections.
· The session is also taking place a month after the Modi government completed two years in power, saying that the country is changing under the dispensation.
Talgo high-speed train trials to begin from July 7 on Mathura-Palwal route
· Talgo’s coaches are all set to begin speed trials from July 7, a development that takes India closer to its dreams of having semi-high speed and high speed trains.
· Suresh Prabhu-led Indian Railways is conducting trial runs with Talgo train coaches, which the Spanish company claims can help Railways attain higher speeds, even on the existing tracks.
I-T department to establish over 60 taxpayer centres across country
· The Income Tax department will establish over 60 facilitation centres – Aaykar Seva Kendras – this fiscal from Goalpara in Assam to Neemuch in MP as part of efforts to widen the taxpayer base and reach a maximum number of people who need help in doing business with the taxman.
· The ASKs help a person in conducting their personal and business operation with the department ranging from obtaining a new Permanent Account Number (PAN) to filing Income Tax Returns (ITRs) apart from other income tax related subjects.
Odisha announces education loan at 1% interest
· Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Monday launched ‘Kalinga Siksha Sathi Yojana’, a scheme to provide education loan at 1% interest to students pursuing higher studies.
· Patnaik said, “The scheme will reduce the loan burden of lakhs of parents.” The state government will meet the fund requirement of about₹500 crore for the scheme from its own resources, he added.
50L BPL families in Bihar to get LPG connections
· Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launched the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana to give free LPG connections to 50 lakh Below Poverty Line families in Bihar over three years.
· He added that 10 lakh Above Poverty Line families will also get LPG connections. Bihar will be the biggest beneficiary of the scheme, which will provide 5 crore connections, he said.
India ranks low at 105th on human capital index, Finland tops
· India was today ranked low at 105th position globally on a worldwide Human Capital Index, which measures countries’ ability to nurture, develop and deploy talent for economic growth and was topped by Finland.
· India ranks much below China’s 71st position while Bangladesh, Bhutan and Sri Lanka are also placed higher on the index released today by Geneva-based World Economic Forum (WEF) in this Chinese city at its Annual Meeting of New Champions — also known as ‘Summer Davos’ summit.
IMF clears payment of $500 million to Pakistan
· The International Monetary Fund today cleared payment of $501 million for Pakistan taking the total amount given to the country to $6.1 billion in the last few years.
· In a statement, issued after the conclusion of 11th review of Pakistan’s economic performance under a three-year program supported by an Extended Fund Facility (EFF) arrangement, the IMF said the decision enables the immediate disbursement of about $501 million to Pakistan.
· This brings the total disbursements to $6.01 billion, the IMF said. In September 2013, the IMF had approved the 36-month extended arrangement under the EFF in the amount of about $6.64 billion at the time of approval of the arrangement.
An expanded Panama Canal opens for giant ships
· A mammoth ship bearing 9,472 containers and the unwieldy name Cosco Shipping Panama completed on Sunday the first official voyage through the new expanded Panama Canal, a $5.25 billion project designed to modernize a 102-year-old landmark of human ambition, determination and engineering prowess.
· The Chinese vessel, which set sail from the Greek port of Piraeus on June 11, began its crossing of the isthmus from the northern Atlantic Ocean end of the 48-mile canal.
Israel and Turkey end six-year standoff
· Israel and Turkey have announced a reconciliation deal to end a six-year diplomatic standoff that started when Israeli naval commandos shot dead nine Turkish activists travelling on an aid flotilla making for the Gaza coast.
· A deal negotiated in Rome on Sunday will restore full ambassador-level relations, provide for about $20m in compensation for the families of those killed and wounded aboard the Mavi Marmara in 2010, and clear the way for potentially lucrative contracts for Israel to transmit natural gas to Turkey.
Bank of Maharashtra raises Rs 500 cr via bonds
· State-owned Bank of Maharashtra said it has raised Rs 500 crore by issuing bonds that are compliant with global capital adequacy norms.
· The bonds bear the coupon rate of 9.20 per cent per annum.
· Earlier this month, the Pune-based bank had informed about raising capital up to Rs 1,000 crore through various means including of FPO, rights issue or Qualified Institutional Placement.
· Shares of Bank of Maharashtra were trading 0.76 per cent up at Rs 33 on BSE.
IFC, Wadhawan Global Capital to invest Rs 60 crore in Aadhar Housing Finance
· The World Bank’s private sector funding arm International Finance Corporation (IFC) and Wadhawan Global Capital Pvt Ltdare going to raise their investments inAadhar Housing Finance by putting inRs 60 crore between them to help the housing loan provider to lower income families double its business.
· Aadhar Housing Finance chief executive Deo Shankar Tripathi told ET that the exercise would be completed in a month or two and would prelude its proposed merger with DHFL Vysya Housing, another entity owned by the Wadhawan family.
BSNL to expand its network in Chhattisgarh
· State-run telecom operator BSNL will expand its network in Chhattisgarh by installing 2,000 new mobile towers in the next two years.
· Addressing media persons in Raipur, Communications and IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said that in the next one year 220 Public WiFi hotspots will be installed in Chhattisgarh by BSNL Corporate.
ITC to invest Rs 4,000 cr to set up to 9 plants
· FMCG major ITC will invest Rs 4,000 crore over the next 2-3 years to set up 8-9 factories across the country for manufacturing of food products.
· ITC’s branded packaged foods division grew by around 11 per cent to clock a turnover of Rs 7,097.49 crore in 2015-16. Food is the second largest business for ITC after cigarettes.
· The company, which recently expanded its new Sunfeast Farmlite biscuits portfolio catering to health conscious consumers, is looking at tapping this fast growing consumer segment.
Ola to invest Rs 350 crore in Haryana over 5 years
· Taxi hailing app Ola has signed an agreement with Haryana government to create over 10,000 entrepreneurs in the state with an investment of Rs 350 crore over the period of five years, the company said.
· Ola will work with the Haryana government to introduce innovative and customised mobility solutions like Ola Auto, Ola Bike, Ola Share and Ola Shuttle across the state.
Indiabulls Housing Finance to raise Rs. 300 cr via NCDs
· Indiabulls Housing Finance Ltd is planning to raise Rs. 300 crore by issuing Unsecured Non-Convertible Redeemable Debentures (Tier II) in the nature of subordinated debt on private placement basis.
· The housing finance company informed the BSE that it will be issuing 30,000 debentures (of 10 years maturity) in the nature of subordinated debt with a face value of Rs. 1 lakh each aggregating Rs. 300 crores (plus greenshoe option).
RCom to provide 4G on Reliance Jio network at Rs 93 per 10 GB
· RCom (Reliance Communications) will provide 10 GB of 4G data at the starting price of Rs 93, which is sharply lower by about 94% than that of its competitors offering 4G service.
· Telecom operator Reliance Communications will offer 4G service to its CDMA customers using Reliance Jio’s network.
· Available only on select circles, 4G will be made available at a starting price of Rs 93 per 10 GB — cheaper than several broadband connections.
· In most circles, the rates will vary between Rs 93 and Rs 97 per 10GB, as per the rate published on the RCom website.
· According to the letter to DoT (Department of Telecommunications), RCom will launch 4G data service in 12 circles — Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Punjab, UP East and West, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh and Bihar.
Power sector sees $1.6 bn deals in Jan-May: EY
· The Indian power sector saw 17 merger and acquisition deals worth $1.6 billion in the first five months of 2016, said a report by consultancy firm Ernst and Young (EY).
· In comparison, 15 deals worth $601 million were made during the corresponding period last year. Further, renewable energy accounted for 65% of the total deal volumes recorded this year.
Sistema to buy Russia’s stake in Indian subsidiary
· Oil-to-telecom conglomerate Sistema on Monday said it will acquire the Russian government’s 17.14% share in Sistema Shyam Tele-Services (SSTL).
· The Russian Federation had bought the stake in 2011 and entered an option agreement to sell them back to Sistema after five years for an estimated worth of $777 million.
· The move comes amid SSTL’s merger with Reliance Communications.
Nestle hires Fresenius’s Schneider as next CEO
· Swiss food giant Nestlé on Monday named Ulf Mark Schneider, current CEO of European healthcare group Fresenius, as its new chief executive.
· Schneider, a US-German dual citizen, is the company’s first external hire for the CEO’s post in over a century.
· Starting from January, Schneider will succeed current CEO Paul Bulcke, whom Nestlé’s board has proposed as the next chairman.
Sujoy Bose appointed as NIIF CEO
· The government has selected Sujoy Bose, currently director and global co-head, infrastructure and natural resources at the International Finance Corporation as the chief executive officer (CEO) of the National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF).
· The decision was made by a committee constituted under the chairmanship of the Economic Affairs Secretary. Budget 2016-17 made an initial allocation of Rs.4,000 crore for the fund.
NS Vishwanathan to be new Deputy Governor of RBI; 4 officials shortlisted for RBI Chief Position
· The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet on Tuesday cleared NS Vishwanathan appointment as Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI). Vishwanathan will succeed HR Khan, whose tenure ends on July 3.
· However, the Cabinet has not yet decided on who will succeed RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan, who recently announced that he will not take a second term after his tenure ends on September 4, 2016. According to the sources, four people have been shortlisted for the post.
AWARDS AND HONORS:
Beyonce wins four awards at BET Awards 2016
· Singer Beyoncé won four awards, including the ‘Best Female R&B/Pop Artist’ award, at the BET Awards 2016, held in Los Angeles on Sunday.
· Rihanna and Drake won the Best Collaboration award for ‘Work’. Meanwhile, actor Samuel L Jackson was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award.
· Established by the Black Entertainment Television network, the awards honour African Americans in various fields.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
China launches next-gen rocket; on track for ambitious space program
· China successfully launched its ‘Long March-7’ carrier rocket, which will help in the country’s five-year plan for the space sector and a planned space station which is set to be operational by 2022.
· The 53-metre rocket carried a prototype next-generation crew capsule in the first-ever liftoff from the nation’s new launch center, Hainan Wenchang Space Launch Center in southern China, so officials could find out how the vessel fared during re-entry.
· In a parachute aided landing, the dummy spacecraft landed successfully in the Badain Jaran Desert in Northwest China. It spent 20 hours in orbit.
Defence Ministry nod to buy 145 ultra-light Howitzers from US
· In an advanced approval to induct new artillery guns, the defence ministry on Saturday paved way for purchase of 145 Ultra-Light Howitzers, worth about $750 million (5,000 crores), from the US, the first acquisition of such weapon systems by the army in three decades since the Bofors scandal.
· The defence ministry also approved bulk production of 18 Dhanush artillery guns. The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), chaired by defence minister Manohar Parrikar, took up 18 proposals including new schemes worth Rs.28,000 crore for discussion.
CSIR launches ayurvedic anti-diabetic drug:
· The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) on Monday launched BGR-34, an ayurvedic drug designed to cure Type 2 Diabetes mellitus.
· “The modern diabetes drugs are known for side-effects and toxicity while BGR-34 works by controlling blood sugar and limiting the harmful effects of other drugs,” Senior Principal Scientist AKS Rawat said.
· The drug will be available for₹5 per tablet.
Tejas to be put in combat roles by 2017: Reports
· As per reports, the Indian Air Force will put the indigenously developed Light Combat Aircraft Tejas into combat roles by next year.
· The IAF is aiming to have a total of six aircraft this financial year and about eight in the next.
· The first batch of Tejas, comprising of two aircraft, will be inducted into the IAF on July 1.
India’s Rajput wins silver in ISSF World Cup
· Ace shooter Sanjeev Rajput clinched the silver medal for India in men’s 50-metre rifle 3 position event of the ISSF World Cup.
· Rajput shot 456.9 to win the silver medal in the last World Cup before the Rio Olympic Games.
· Croatia’s Petar Gorsa won the gold medal with 457.5, while Hyeonjun Kim of Korea bagged the bronze after he shot 445.5.
De Villiers retains top spot in ICC ODI rankings
· South Africa’s AB de Villiers and India’s Virat Kohli retained the top two spots respectively in the latest ICC ODI batsmen’s rankings, which were released on Monday.
· Australia, who is the top-ranked ODI team, has no batsman featuring in the list. India’s Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan occupy the sixth and eighth spots respectively.
Messi was ‘Player of the Tournament’ in WC 2014
· Lionel Messi won the ‘Golden Ball’ in the 2014 FIFA World Cup, after leading Argentina to the final.
· Following Argentina’s loss in the final against Germany, Messi said, “I’m very hurt at not being able to bring the Cup to Argentina, I do not care about the Golden Ball”. Messi won four Man of the Match awards in the tournament.
Alexis Sanchez wins Golden Ball at Copa America:
· Chile forward Alexis Sanchez won the Golden Ball in the Copa America, which concluded on Monday.
· Sanchez scored three goals in the tournament, including a brace against Panama in the group stage.
Xerxes Desai, founder of Titan, dies
· Xerxes Sapur Desai, the man who founded Titan Co. Ltd and made it an internationally renowned Indian watch brand, is no more.
· The 79-year-old died in Bengaluru on Monday because of acute gastroenteritis.
Nagaland insurgent leader Isak Chishi Swu dead
· Nagaland militant leader Isak Chishi Swu, who led a bloody insurgency in the Northeast for over three decades, died here today following multi-organ failure.
· The 87-year-old Chairman of Nationalist Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-IM) was undergoing treatment for almost a year at a private hospital in South Delhi where he breathed his last around noon, Nagaland government spokesperson Kuolie Mere said.
For More Daily Current Affairs Updates- Click Here