Daily Current Affairs Updates– 28thMay 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
V Narayanasamy to be new Puducherry Chief Minister
· V Narayanansamy has been named the Congress’s pick to be the new Chief Minister of Puducherry.
· A heated contest had broken out within the party’s local unit over who will occupy the Chief Minister’s seat and this has delayed the government formation in the Union Territory.
· Narayanasamy had served as the Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office in the second UPA government, after serving as MoS Parliamentary Affairs in the first UPA government.
· He did not contest the May 16 Assembly election, and will now have to seek election to the legislature in a bypoll.
USAID and ministry of power launch portal to promote net zero energy buildings
· The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the union ministry of Power today launched India’s first integrated web portal designed to promote and mainstream Net Zero Energy Buildings (NZEB) in India.
· A first of its kind, the portal provides complete information about Net Zero Energy Buildings – those that generate as much energy as they use – as well as how to achieve near-zero energy status through the use of efficient lighting and equipment, integration of renewable energy technologies, and best practice design strategies.
· In addition, the portal hosts the NZEB Alliance, an industry-wide body setup to drive the Indian markets toward highly energy-efficient buildings.
FDI equity inflow in 2015-16 at $40 billion
· Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) equity inflow into India for 2015-16 grew 29% year-on-year to $40 billion, according to government data.
· The services sector attracted the highest investment at $6.88 billion, followed by computer hardware and software ($5.90 billion).
· Singapore accounted for the highest inflow at $13.69 billion, followed by Mauritius ($8.35 billion) and the US ($4.19 billion).
25 NetajiSubhas Chandra Bose files declassified
· The fourth batch of 25 files relating to NetajiSubhas Chandra Bose was released online on Friday, taking the total number of declassified files to 200.
· One of the files cites a letter from former PM NarasimhaRao to then President R Venkataraman regarding honouringNetaji with the Bharat Ratna posthumously.
· However, Netaji’s kin had declined the award in 1992.
Lakshadweep inks pact for energy efficiency measures
· The government said that Lakshadweep became first union territory to sign ’24×7 Power for All’ document which chalks out plans to increase solar capacity of the region from 2.15 mw to 8.45 mw.
· The plan also envisions reduction of Aggregate Technical and Commercial (AT&C) losses from the current level of 21 per cent to 6.7 per cent till 2019 by increasing the collection efficiency up to 99 per cent, the Power Ministry said in a statement.
· The representative of Government of India and the administration of Lakshadweep signed the document in presence of Power Secretary P K Pujari here today, the statement said.
Government formulates guidelines for website ads
· The information and broadcasting ministry has framed guidelines and criteria for empanelment of agencies and rate fixation for advertisements on websites in a bid to streamline the government’s online outreach.
· The guidelines aim to ensure that the visibility of government advertisements online increases by strategically placing these on websites having higher unique users per month, a statement said here.
· According to the norms, websites which are owned and operated by companies that are incorporated in India will be considered for empanelment by Directorate of Advertising and Visual Publicity (DAVP).
GAAR to be implemented from 2017-18: I-T Dept
· The Income Tax Department said the provisions of the General Anti-Avoidance Rules (GAAR) will be effective from the financial year 2017-18.
· Earlier, Finance Minister ArunJaitley had deferred the implementation of GAAR by two years in the 2015 Union Budget.
· GAAR is meant to reduce tax avoidance for investments made by entities based out of tax havens.
· The G7 nations have pledged to end government support for coal, oil and gas by 2025.
· The nations have previously discussed phasing out fossil fuels, but this is the first time they have set a deadline to end most fossil fuel subsidies.
· Notably, G7 comprises the United States, France, Germany, Great Britain, Canada, Italy and Japan.
India 2nd in initiating anti-dumping probes: WTO
· India, with 12 probes launched, was the second leading initiator of anti-dumping investigations in 2015, according to global body World Trade Organisation (WTO).
· The WTO members are allowed to launch such investigations on imports when the exporting company ships a product at a price lower than that charged in its home market. The US topped the list with 15 investigations.
· Spiritual leader and Isha Foundation founder SadhguruJaggiVasudev will lead a yoga session at the UNITED NATIONS (UN) on the occasion of the second International Yoga Day in June.
· The International Yoga Day will be commemorated on June 21 and the focus in 2016 will be on the theme of Yoga for the sustainable development goals.
· India’s Permanent Mission to the UN said that Sadhguru will lead the yoga session at the international yoga day in the premises of the world body’s headquarters.
· The first International Yoga Day was commemorated at the UN with aplomb in 2015, with external affairs minister SushmaSwaraj leading the celebrations along with UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon, spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and US Congresswoman TulsiGabbard.
· According to reports, references to Australia were removed from a United Nations report on climate change and world heritage sites, after Australia’s government said the information could impact tourism.
· The move comes less than a year after Australia successfully lobbied UNESCO not to list the Great Barrier Reef, found off the Australian coast, as a ‘World Heritage Site in Danger’.
· The merger of State Bank of India and its five associate banks, along with the BharatiyaMahila Bank (BMB), will cost State Bank of India around Rs 3,000 crore.
· However, the benefits from merger will outweigh (be heavier, greater, or more significant than) the costs, said Arundhati Bhattacharya, chairman, State Bank of India, while announcing the Q4 results of the bank here today.
· The five associate banks include, State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur (SBJJ), State Bank of Hyderabad (SBH), State Bank of Mysore (SBM), State Bank of Patiala (SBP) and State Bank of Travancore (SBT).
· Much of the cost of the merger will accrue (of a benefit or sum of money be received by someone in regular or increasing amounts over time) from the provident fund liabilities (the state of being legally responsible for something) of the employees. “On account of provident fund, the maximum amount we are anticipating (regard as probable; expect or predict ) is Rs 3000 crore,” she said.
· According to regulatory filings, Wipro CEO AbidaliNeemuchwala received ₹12 crore in salary for the year ended March 2016, his first year at the company.
· However, TK Kurien, Wipro’s last CEO and current Executive Vice Chairman, earned ₹14 crore.
· Wipro rivals TCS and Infosys CEOs N Chandrasekaran and Vishal Sikka received ₹25 crore and ₹49 crore in salaries respectively.
RBL Bank to launch scheme for fintech entrepreneurs
· RBL Bank Ltd, the first private-sector bank to open a dedicated branch for start-ups in Bengaluru last month, will launch an Entrepreneur-in-Residence (EIR) programme for fintech start-ups in the next 9-12 months.
· The bank has already allocated a 17-seater area within its office in Bengaluru and has forged partnerships with start-up accelerators in and around the city, such as Jaaga, Axilor, Beehive, Headstart and 1Crowd.
· Taxi-aggregator company Ola on Friday introduced a new category on its app called, ‘Ola Lux’, a service which provides luxury cars including Jaguar, Mercedes, Audi and BMW among others.
· The ‘Ola Lux’ service, which is piloting in South Mumbai, is available for booking at a minimum fare of ₹200 for 5 km, and ₹19 per km then onwards.
Tata Group launches e-commerce platform
· Tata Group joined the e-commerce bandwagon with an omni- channel market place TataCliq.Com for selling curated (select, organize and present (online content, merchandise, information, etc), typically using professional or expert knowledge) brands.
· It is a first-of-its-kind ‘phygital (physical plus digital)’ e-commerce marketplace bringing a smart combination of the reassurance and in-store experience.
· It is curated by Tata Industries, which owns 90 per cent stake in the venture, with the group’s retail arm Trent owning the remaining 10 per cent, and is run by Tata UniStore
· A federal jury in San Francisco ruled in favor of Google in the Java copyright case against Oracle on Thursday.
· Oracle had filed a suit in 2010 against Google claiming that it used code from the Oracle-owned Java programming language in Android without permission, seeking nearly $9 billion in damages.
· Oracle said that it will appeal against the decision.
· Infosys has appointed AnanthaRadhakrishnan as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of its backoffice arm.
· Prior to this role, MrRadhakrishnan was the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Infosys BPO managing its global operations, according to the company’s website.
· The company also appointed AnupUppadhayay, the incumbent CEO of Infosys BPO, as the Executive Vice President and the Head of Strategic Sales Programmes.
· He will work with Mohit Joshi who is responsible for sales operations and reporting processes, including large deal pursuits and top account growth. — Staff Reporter
AWARDS AND HONORS:
· Pakke Tiger Reserve in East Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh has won the ‘India Biodiversity Award 2016’.
· The tiger reserve was selected in the conservation of threatened species category for its Hornbill Nest Adoption Programme.
Amateur Indian author’s manuscript wins $10,000 book award
· A 31-year-old Indian woman author in Singapore has won the Scholastic Asian Book Award for her 32,000-word manuscript rooted in “love of Indian history”.
· AditiKrishnakumar won the Singapore dollar 10,000 award this week for her manuscript “Codex: The Lost Treasure Of The Indus”.
· The Telangana government has entered the Limca Book of Records for conducting the most intensive household survey by a state, a statement said.
· In August 2014, four lakh government employees covered over 1.09 crore households between 7 am and 8 pm in one day, it said. The survey was ordered after Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao assumed office.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· The Indian Air Force (IAF) successfully test-fired a land-attack version of the supersonic cruise missile, BrahMos at the Pokaran field firing range in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan.
o During the flight trial, the missile met its mission goals and destroyed a designated target.
o Two squadrons of IAF already have been equipped with the land-attack version of the missile version (One squadron has about 70 to 80 missiles).
o IAF is deploying this version of the missile in the border areas to take out the enemy’s communication towers, runways, and radar in case of a conflict.
SpaceX completes 3rd successful landing at sea
· Elon Musk-owned SpaceX, for the third consecutive time, successfully landed its Falcon 9 rocket on a drone ship at sea after it was launched on Saturday carrying the ‘THAICOM 8’ satellite.
· The satellite, which was put into an elliptical orbit 22,000 miles above sea level, is a commercial communications satellite intended to serve parts of India, Africa and South-East Asia.
· Technology giants Microsoft and Facebook announced plans to build “MAREA”, a 6,600 km subsea cable system across the Atlantic Ocean.
· It’s designed to have a maximum bandwidth of 160 Tbps, the highest capacity under the Atlantic, the companies said.
· The two parties claimed that this cable system will be the first to connect the US to southern Europe.
· Nine-times champion Rafael Nadal sent shockwaves around Roland Garros on Friday when he unexpectedly pulled out of the French Open because of an injury to his left wrist.
· A day after notching up his 200th grand slam victory with an imperious 6-3 6-0 6-3 second-round win over Argentina’s FacundoBagnis, a grim-faced Nadal walked into a hurriedly arranged news conference wearing a navy blue brace around his stricken wrist.
SRH beat Gujarat Lions to reach IPL final
· Sunrisers Hyderabad beat Gujarat Lions by four wickets to enter the IPL final. Batting first, the Lions posted 162/7, courtesy Aaron Finch’s 50(32), with Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Ben Cutting picking two wickets each.
· In reply, the Sunrisers, riding on skipper David Warner’s 93*(58) reached the target in 19.2 overs to set up the final encounter against Royal Challengers Bangalore.
· Sonia Lather went down fighting 1-2 to Italy’s AlessiaMesiano in the Featherweight (57 kg) finals at the AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships.
· Overall in the featherweight category, India finished 10th, tied with Thailand, Russia and Netherlands.
· However, the tournament saw India lose out on an Olympic quota in the three featured categories, Flyweight, Lightweight and Middleweight.
Indian wins gold at French Open Athletics Championship
· Indian para-athlete, discus and club thrower, Amit Kumar Saroha has clinched the gold medal in the men’s club throw F-51 event at the 2016 French Open Athletics Championship.
· Saroha won the event with a record-breaking throw of 26.58 metres. With this, the 31-year-old Arjuna awardee from Haryana bettered his own previously held Asian best distance of 25.44 metres.
· BCCI Anurag Thakur has promised to give ₹5 crore to the deaf, dumb and visually impaired cricketers as financial aid.
· BCCI has also planned other special initiatives, which includes ₹100 crore assigned one-year water conservation project and Creating ‘Mobile Coaching App’, which can be used by cricket academies in remote areas to provide access to state-of-the-art coaching lessons.
For More Daily Current Affairs Updates- Click Here