Daily Current Affairs Updates– 5th July 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
19 new Ministers of State inducted in Union council of Ministers; PrakashJavdekar elevated to Cabinet rank:
· In a major expansion,nineteen new Ministers of State have been inducted in the Union Council of Ministers.
· Besides, Minister of State with independent charge,PrakashJavdekar was elevated to the Cabinet rank.
· The Ministers of State are Faggan Singh Kulste, S SAhluwalia, Ramesh Jigjinagi, Vijay Goel, RamdasAthawale, RajenGohain, Anil Madhav Dave, ParshottamRupala, M J Akbar, Arjun Ram Meghwal, JaswantSinhBhabhor, Dr MahendraNathPandey, Ajay Tamta, Smt. Krishna Raj, MansukhMandaviya, Anupriya Patel, C R Chaudhary, P PChaudhary, Dr SubhashBhamre.
National Mineral Exploration Policy unveiled by NarendrasinghTomar:
· Union minister of steel and mines NarendrasinghTomar unveiled the National Mineral Exploration Policy (NMEP).
· It was unveiled to adopt comprehensive exploration of non fuel and non coal mineral resources.
· The policy was released at National conclave on mines and minerals at Raipur in Chhattisgarh.
India’s first Commercial Court& Disputes Resolution Centre inaugurated in Chattisgarh:
· India’s first commercial dispute resolution centre and commercial court was inaugurated at Naya Raipur, Chhattisgarh.
· The centre and court were inaugurated by Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Dr. Raman and Justice Madan B. Lokur of the Supreme Court of India.
2016 BRICS Youth Summit held with theme Youth as bridge for Intra-BRICS Exchanges:
· The 2016 BRICS Youth Summit held in Guwahati, Assam concluded on 3 July 2016. The theme of the 2nd youth summit that started was “Youth as bridge for Intra-BRICS Exchanges”.
· The three day summit saw participation of officials and youth of the delegation from BRICS nations, namely Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
Haryana to develop new Industrial Township at an expense of $5 billion:
· Haryana Government announced that it would develop an industrial township in the state at an expense of 5 billion dollar.
· The new industrial township will spread in over 1500 acres of land in Sohna and Manesar areas of Gurgaon.
· For this purpose, theHaryana Industrial and Infrastructure Development Corporation (HSIIDC) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with China Fortune Land Development (CFLD) Company in New Delhi.
· Under the agreement, HSIIDC and CFLD Company would execute the project as a joint venture (JV).
IIT-KGP to set up Centre for Science of Happiness:
· The IIT-Kharagpur announced to start a ‘Centre for Science of Happiness’
· The Centre aims to develop courses, research, and training that scientifically explores the science of happiness, overall coordination in-charge DamodarSuar said.
· The first workshop on the science of happiness will be organised in August, Suar added.
· The Centre will develop “happy technocrats”, the institute said.
Government to give Rs.400 crore for building airports in UP:
· Minister of State for Civil Aviation Mahesh Sharma said the Centre will provide Rs.400 crore aid to Uttar Pradesh for developing airports in Agra, Allahabad, Kanpur, and Bareilly.
· He added the feasibility of building no-frills airports in Meerut, Faizabad, and Moradabad will be studied while the poll-bound state’s proposal for Jewar airport is awaiting the Defence Ministry’s approval.
Assam launches 100-day plan for agri growth:
· The Assam government announced a 100-day plan for the development of agriculture, urban infrastructure, and veterinary sectors in the state.
· The plan includes issuing soil health cards to farmers, building cold storages, setting up e-tendering of seed distribution, and urban infrastructure development.
· The government also plans to commercialise four of the 22 poultry farms across Assam.
Haryana sets up helpline to report cow smuggling:
· The Haryana Police has launched a 24-hour helpline for people to report incidents of cow smuggling in the state, where cattle slaughter and beef sale are already banned.
· The police also said that barricades would be put up to check cow smuggling. This comes after a recent incident wherein two alleged beef smugglers were forced to eat cow dung.
Madhya Pradesh cabinet approves proposal to impose entry tax on online shopping:
· In Madhya Pradesh, the state cabinet today gave its nod to a proposal for imposing entry tax on online shopping.
· Now six per cent entry tax will be levied on the online shopping in the state.
· In another significant step, the state cabinet has made toilet in home mandatory for contesting the panchayat elections. Now those not having toilets in their house cannot contest panchayat elections. There are four lakh panch-sarpanchs in the state.
China’s yuan hits new 5-1/2 year low:
· China’s yuan slumped against the dollar to reach a new 5-1/2 year low for the second consecutive day of trading.
· The yuan hit 6.6642, the lowest since December 2010 due to extended dollar buying in the market and amid concerns of the People’s Bank of China tolerating further depreciation of the currency, analysts said.
MadhavDhekane took over as Director of ISRO Inertial Systems Unit:
· Noted scientist MadhavDhekane assumed the office of Director at ISRO Inertial Systems Unit (IISU), Department of Space, at Vattiyoorkavu in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
· Dhekane is the seventh director of IISU.
Linda Burney becomes first Indigenous woman elected to Australia’s lower house:
· Linda Burney, a former teacher, on 2 July 2016 became the first Indigenous woman elected to the House of Representatives (lower house) of the Parliament of Australia. She achieved the fete after claiming victory in the marginal seat of Barton.
· She won the seat as a candidate of the centre-left Labour Party in the national polls.
· With this, she joins first Aboriginal MP Ken Wyatt of the conservative Liberal Party who was elected in 2010.
· Olympian Nova Peris was the first indigenous woman in the upper house of the Parliament.
K B Koliwad elected as Speaker of K’taka Legislative Assembly:
· Mr K B Koliwad was today unanimously elected as Speaker of Karnataka Legislative Assembly.
· Chief Minister Siddaramaiah proposed his name, seconded by Minister for Law and Parliamentary Affairs J B Jayachandra .
· Seventy-two year old Koliwad represents Ranebennurconstitutency in HaveriTaluk.
· The speaker’s post fell vacant after incumbent KagoduThimmappa resigned following his induction into the cabinet as revenue minister on June 19
NSE launches trade repository for corporate debt:
· The National Stock Exchange (NSE) said it has established a trade repository for Indian corporate debt in a bid to increase liquidity and transparency in over-the-counter (OTC) deals.
· The repository, launched on July 1, will provide consolidated information on OTC deals in corporate bonds across exchanges. Currently, about 80% of such deals occur on the NSE platform.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
Jawaharlal Nehru Port becomes India’s first port to implement Logistics Data Tagging of Containers:
· Jawaharlal Nehru Port became the first port in India to implement logistics data tagging of containers.
· The implementation of the logistics data bank tagging of containers will help importers/exporters track their goods in transit through logistics data bank service.
· Indian Test captain ViratKohli has featured in GQ’s 50 Most Influential Young Indians list, which also includes Indian footballer Sunil Chhetri.
· The list is a mix of actors, entrepreneurs, musicians, sportspersons and filmmakers, all below the age of 40.
· Among those featured are actor Ranveer Singh, filmmaker RiteshBatra, musicians Benny Dayal and Dualist Enquiry, besides AkashAmbani.
Tamil Nadu top Indian tourist destination in ’15:
· According to data by the Tourism Ministry,Tamil Nadu was the top tourist destination in India for the second consecutive year in 2015, with 333.5 million domestic and 4.68 million foreign tourist arrivals.
· Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh were other top destinations for domestic tourists, while foreign visitors preferred Maharashtra, UP, and Delhi after Tamil Nadu.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
· World Bank released the Logistics Performance Index 2016 titled ‘Connecting to compete: 2016: Trade Logistics in the Global Economy.’
· The 2016 Logistics Performance Index (LPI) allows for comparisons across 160 countries.
· Germany tops the 2016 rankings and is followed by Luxembourg, Sweden, Netherlands, and Singapore. Hong Kong SAR, China was ranked at 9th position while United States was placed at 10th Position in the list of rankings. Mainland China was placed at 27th position.
· Syrian Arab Republic was ranked at 160th position in the list.
Hero MotoCorp inked 3-year wage agreement with Gurgaon workers:
· Country’s largest two-wheeler maker Hero MotoCorp Ltd. (HMCL) has inked a wage settlement pact with its permanent workers at Gurgaon Plant, entailing a hike of 12500 rupees spread over three years.
· The three-year agreement will be implemented with retrospective effect starting from 1 August 2015 till 31 July 2018. The previous wage settlement was effective from 1 August 2012 to 31 July 2015.
· Hero MotoCorp employs about 1400 permanent employees at its Gurgaon facility.
· Gurgaon-based online pharmacy 1mg on Monday acquired diagnostic labs aggregator Medd for an undisclosed amount.
· However, as a part of the deal, all the three founders of Medd – Arpit Kothari, AnuragMundhada, and Era Dwivedi, have joined the 1mg team.
· Earlier in April this year, 1mg raised Rs.100 crore in Series B funding led by Maverick Capital Ventures.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
· The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) gave its approval to the New Horizons mission to investigate a mysterious object deep in the Kuiper Belt.
· The mission will explore the mysterious object known as 2014 MU69.
· It is expected that the New Horizons will reach 2014 MU69 on 31 December 2018 or 1 January 2019.
NASA’s Juno spacecraft successfully enters Jupiter orbit:
· The US space agency, NASA, has successfully put a new probe in orbit around Jupiter.
· The Juno satellite, which left Earth five years ago, had to fire a rocket engine to slow its approach to the planet and get caught by its gravity.
· Receipt of the radio messages at Nasa’s mission control in Pasadena, California confirmed the braking manoeuvre had gone as planned.
· Scientists plan to use the spacecraft to sense the planet’s deep interior. They think the structure and the chemistry of its insides hold clues to how this giant world formed some four-and-a-half-billion years ago.
· Javeline thrower Annu Rani bettered her national record with a 59.87m throw at the 56th National Inter-State Senior Athletics Championships in Hyderabad.
· Rani improved her previous meet mark with her first round 59.06m at G.M.C. Balayogi Stadium. However, her 59.87m throw came in the fourth round.
· Suman Devi could log only 55.88m to bag the second place. Haryana’s SharmilaKumari finished third with 53.80m throw.
First association of Indian Olympians launched:
· The Olympians Association of India (OAI), the first-ever association for Indian Olympians, by the Olympians, was launched.
· The Olympians Association of India’s official Twitter account, @IndianOlympians, will serve as the platform for real-time updates of the Indian contingent at the upcoming Rio Olympics.
· Five-time Olympian Shiva Keshavan will serve as the association’s first president.
· USA’s Justin Gatlin posted the fastest 100-metre sprint timing of the year, to claim his Rio berth at the US Olympic trials in Oregon.
· The 34-year-old won with a 9.8-second finish at the pre-Olympic qualification event.
India’s SaiPraneeth wins men’s 2016 Canada Open:
· Indian shuttlerSaiPraneeth defeated Korea’s Lee Hyun Il in the men’s singles final of the 2016 Canada Open in Calgary.
· Praneeth, seeded fourth, defeated the Korean 21-12, 21-10 in the match, which lasted less than half an hour.
· This is world number 37 Praneeth’s first Grand Prix title.
· Bengaluru para swimmer NiranjanMukundan has won eight medals, including three golds, at the recently-concluded IWAS (International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports) U-23 World Games in Prague, Czech Republic.
· Niranjan bagged gold medals in 200m freestyle, 50m butterfly and 50m breaststroke, silver in 100m fly and 50m freestyle, and bronze in 100m freestyle, 100m breaststroke and 100m backstroke events.
· This was stated in a release from GoSports Foundation, which is supporting Niranjan through the Para Champions Programme.
· In last year’s edition of the Games, he had created a record for highest number of individual medals, raking in 10 medals in all the events that he participated in.
Noel Neill, first actor to play Lois Lane in Superman, dies:
· American actor Noel Neill, the first actor to play the role Lois Lane on the Adventures of Superman television series died. She was 95.
· Lois Lane is a fictional character who is an award-winning journalist and the primary love interest of Superman.
· Michel Rocard, former Prime Minister of France, passed away on 2 July 2016 in Paris, France. He was 85.
· Rocard served as Prime Minister under President Francois Mitterrand from 1988 to 1991.
Cong’s longest serving district Prez passes away:
· The Congress’ longest and oldest serving district President, Uma Shankar Mishra, passed away on Monday at the age of 93.
· Mishra had worked with the party in the Rae Bareli district for seven decades, from the time when Firoze Gandhi first contested elections in 1951.
· Following the news, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra went to Rae Bareli to pay tributes to Mishra.
· Veteran communist leader and former World Peace Council president Romesh Chandra passed away in Mumbai on Monday. He was 94.
· Chandra had taken part in freedom struggle as a student leader and later joined CPI and went on to become its national executive.
· Chandra, who joined the World Peace Council headquarters in Helsinki as its president and played a role during cold war era.
For Daily Current Affairs – Click Here