Daily Current Affairs Updates– 7th May 2016:
Daily Current affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this.
PM greets all personnel of Border Road Organisation (BRO) on its foundation day:
· Prime Minister Narendra Modi has greeted all personnel of Border Road Organisation (BRO) on its foundation day.
· In a tweet, Mr Modi said, the country is proud of their impeccable service to the nation.
· World Aids Orphans Day
4th SAIEVAC Ministerial Meeting to be held in New Delhi:
· The eight nations composing the South Asia Initiative to End Violence Against Children, SAIEVAC, are assembling in New Delhi next week for their 4th Ministerial Meeting.
· The meeting will set strategies and agree on commitments to ensure the protection and security of the children of the region.It is being hosted by the Ministry of Child and Women Development.
· Delegates from the governments andcivil society organizations of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka will assess progress and developments of the past decade of regional effort and identify priorities for SAIEVAC for the next five years.
· Home Minister Rajnath Singh is expected to deliver the statement to the Ministerial Meeting. TheMinister of Women and Child Development, Maneka Gandhi, will chair the meeting.
Bombay High Court decriminalises beef possession, upholds ban on slaughter of bulls, bullocks in Maharashtra:
· The Bombay High Court upheld the ban on slaughter of bulls and bullocks in Maharashtra indicating that consumption of beef will remain banned across the state.
· A division bench of Justices AS Oka and SC Gupte, however, struck down provisions that criminalised possession of beef of animals slaughtered outside the state.
Finance Ministry gives clearance to government e-marketplace:
· The Finance Ministry gave its green light to creation of ‘Government e-Marketplace‘ for online purchase of commonly used goods and services by various central government ministries and departments.
· The Department of Expenditure has added a new provision in the General Financial Rules (GFR) on the request of Commerce Department for creation of a one-stop GeM by Directorate General Supply and Disposal (DGS&D).
Government releases Rs 9,367 cr under MGNREGA to drought-hit states:
· Centre releases Rs 12,230 crore for MGNREGA.
· Union government has released 9,367 crore to drought-hit States under MGNREGA in 2016-17, the Parliament was informed by theUnion Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh.
· Centre also relaxed norms under the Scheme to make available additional employment of 50 days per household over and above the 100 days in areas affected by natural calamities during 2015-16.
Number of gram panchayats in Odisha to increase by 500 to 600:
· Odisha Cabinet meeting under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik declared a proposal for amendment to the Gram Panchayat Act as this the ruling party’s promise in 2014 elections proclamation that there would be one panchayat for each 1,000 populace.
· The move is to encourage making of more than 500 panchayats in Odisha. As per the proposal the Panchayats in the state will increase by around 500 to 600.
BHEL commissions 500 MW thermal power unit in Jharkhand:
· Public Sector undertaking, Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltdhas commissioned 500 MW thermal power unit at Bokaro Thermal Power-AStation of Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) in Jharkhand.
· With this the power major has added another coal-based power plant to the grid by successfullycommissioning thermal unit on engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) basis.
· BHEL has also supplied 84 per cent of the total coal-based power generating capacity installed by DVC.
· In Jharkhand the company aims to contribute 87 per cent to the total installed power generating capacity.
ü Governor: Droupadi Murmu
ü Chief Minister: Raghubar Das
Haryana to enact Sports Council Act:
· Haryana government would enact State Sports Council Act to accord statutory status to the Sports Council and further promote sports activities in the state.
· After the enactment of the Act, there would be a sports body at state, district and sub-division level which would coordinate and maintain all affairs of sports in the state.
· Sports Authority of Haryana has been set up on the pattern of Sport Authority of India.
· Govt. has decided to organize national wrestling championship on March 23 every year to promote rural games.
· Similarly, government has also decided to organize Rashtriya Kabaddi Pratiyogita on the birth anniversary of Pt. Deendayal Upadhyay on September 25, every year.
Union government approves proposal of Infosys to set up IT SEZ:
· Union inter-ministerial Board of Approval (BoA) approved the proposal of Infosys to set up an IT/ITeS special economic zone (SEZ) in Bengaluru in an area spread over 4 hectares.
Uttar Pradesh Governor refers Lokayukta Bill to President:
· Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik on Friday referred the state’s Lokayukta bill to President Pranab Mukherjee on reportedly finding that it ends the role of the Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court in the Lokayukta’s selection.
· The new committee proposed in the Uttar Pradesh Lokayukta (Amendment) Bill, 2015 excludes the Chief Justice, which is contrary to the Central Act.
India and Japan to sign MOU for Cooperation in Sports:
· India and Japan have decided to exchange sports persons, coaches, experts andadministrators to improve the standard of the game in both nations.
· The two Asian countries will play some friendly matches ahead of the Under-17 World Cup tournament.
· The decisions were taken during a meeting between Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal and a 12-member delegation from Japan led by Hase Hiroshi, Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
· Hiroshi also informed that the Shinzo Abe-led government has launched a programme named ‘Sport For Tomorrow‘ to promote sports among more than 10 million people in 100 nations between 2014 and 2020.
· In 2020, Tokyo will host the Summer Olympics and Paralympic Games.
8000-year-old paddy discovered in China:
· Chinese archaeologists discovered 8,000 years old paddy who believe that it could be the earliest wet rice farming site in the world.
· It has been also found carbonised rice that was confirmed to have grown more than 8,000 years ago based on carbon dating.
· The finding field, sprawling less than 100 square metres, was discovered at the Neolithic ruins of Hanjing in Sihong County in east China’s Jiangsu province in November last year.
ü Capital: Beijing
ü Currency: Renminbi
ü President: Xi Jinping
Nepal recalls its Ambassador to India over charges of non-cooperation:
· Nepal has recalled its Ambassador to India over charges of non-cooperation and indulging in anti-government activities.
· Nepalese Foreign Ministry sources said in Kathmandu last night thatAmbassador Deep Kumar Upadhyaya had “confronted” withPrime Minister KP Sharma Oli regarding the cancellation of President Bidya Devi Bhandari’s scheduled visit to India.
Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines to conduct joint water patrols to curb kidnappings:
· Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines agreed to conduct coordinated sea patrols and establish a hotline to combat piracy and kidnappings in waters bordering the three nations.
· The countries’ foreign ministers and military officials reached an agreement in the Indonesian city of Yogyakarta.
· The meeting was prompted by the recent kidnapping of 10 Indonesian sailors in the southwestern Philippines by Abu Sayyaf. However, the sailors were released on 1 May 2016
Enda Kenny re-elected as Prime Minister of Ireland:
· Taoiseach Enda Kenny was re-elected as Prime Minister of Ireland
· Kenny, leader of Fine Gael party, was elected for the post 70 days after a general election which had produced no outright winner.
· He was re-appointed with 59 votes in favour and 49 votes against.
· His Gael party won the most seats in the election but fell short of the quota needed to rule without support.
Pakistan: Mickey Arthur succeeds Waqar Younis as head coach
· South Africa’s Mickey Arthur has been appointed head coach of Pakistan ahead of this summer’s tour of England.
· The 47-year-old former South Africa and Australia coach takes over from Waqar Younis, who resigned last month.
· John Michael “Mickey” Arthur is a South African cricketer who played South African domestic cricket from 1986 to 2001.
· He coached the South African national team from 2005 to 2010, and was the coach of the Australia national cricket team until his sacking on 23 June 2013.
· He is Currently appointed as Head Coach of Karachi Kings in Inaugural edition of Pakistan Super League.
Sadikh Khan elected as first Muslim Mayor of London:
· In UK, Sadiq Khan has been elected the new Mayor of London, boosting Labour party after it slumped in Scotland’s elections.
· Mr Khan, son of a Pakistani bus driver, is the city’s first Muslim mayor, after beating Tory Zac Goldsmith. He is a former human rights lawyer and an MP from Tooting, east London, since 2005.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS:
Biography of Shashi Kapoor released:
· The biography titled Shashi Kapoor – the Householder, the Star, has been authored by film journalist Aseem Chhabra of veteran actor Shashi Kapoor.
· The unveiling the chapters of his personal and professional life of the legendary actor who has appeared in a large number of Hindi language films as well as in English-language films.
· Kapoor, who was felicitated with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2015.
· Also in 2011, he was honoured with the Padma Bhushan.
YES Bank gets SEBI nod to provide custodial services:
· Private sector lender Yes Bank has received in-principle nod from markets regulator Sebi to act as custodian of securities.
· The bank has been given a year’s time toestablish the business by developing the operational, tech and human capital capabilities.
· The size of custodial business in India is steadily growing with increasing value of assets under custody as well as newer investor classes such asPortfolio Management Services (PMS) and Alternative Investment Funds (AIF) opting for custody services, it added.
· Bank’s Managing Director and Chief Executive Rana Kapoor said the custodian services will complement itscapital market offerings and help it channelise domestic and foreign investments into the country.
Federal Bank ties up with US based Payments Company for faster international remittances:
· Kochi based Federal Bank joined with Transfast Remittance LLC for facilitating online inward remittance to India in Rupees for their NRI customers based in USA.
· Both the sides has entered into arrangementwith this tie-up, the US-based NRI customers can transfer money instantly to their NRI account in India from their US bank account even by using Debit card/ Credit card.
· Transfastis a prominent omni-channel provider of cross-border payments solutions and operates a best-in-class network across 120+ countries in the USA, Asia, Europe and Africa.
· Customers can also send money even bycreating an account on transfast platform or by downloading Transfast App.
ADB keen to raise lending to India to USD 3 billion
· Asian Development Bank (ADB) is keen to enhance its lending to India to 3 billion US Dollars this year to support ‘robust growth’ in the country.
· ADB President Takehiko Nakao said at the annual meet in Frankfurt that India needs more infrastructure funding and we are very happy to do this to support more robust growth in India.
· He said the bank plans to increase its lending to 3 billion US dollars this year as against about 2.2 billion dollars in 2015.
Banks likely to cut loan rates by 0.5%:
· Banks in India are expected to cut lending rates by up to 50 basis points (0.5%) by September as there is sufficient liquidity in the system, according to a report by Bank of America Merrill Lynch.
· Notably,this comes after the RBI, in April, reduced the repo rate by 25 basis points to a five-year low of 6.5%.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
Corporation Bank gets “Excellence Award on Empowering MSMEs 2016”
· Mangalore based Corporation Bank has been awarded with Excellence Award on Empowering MSMEs 2016.
· Bank MD and CEO Jai Kumar Garg received the award from Kalraj Mishra, Union Minister for MSMEs, in New Delhi.
· The award is instituted by the Federation of Industry, Trade and Services [FITS].
President presents Gallantry Awards and Distinguished Service Decorations to Defence personnel:
· President Pranab Mukherjee today presented Gallantry Awards and Distinguished Service Decorations to Defence personnel at a ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
· Constable Gautam Koch of Assam Armed Branch who made supreme sacrifice fighting UPLA insurgents in Assam’s Difu was awarded Kirti Chakra posthumously.
· Naib Subedar Rajesh Kumar Singh who made supreme sacrifice while fighting terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir was awarded Kirti Chakra posthumously.
· Vice-President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, Three services Chiefs were present in the ceremony.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY:
Titan to acquire e-jewellery store CaratLane:
· Watch and jewellery maker Titan announced it will acquire a majority stake in Chennai-based online jewellery store CaratLane for an undisclosed sum, marking Titan’s foray into the e-commerce space.
· Founded in 2008 by Mithun Sacheti and Srinivasa Gopalan, CaratLane handles the designing, manufacturing and retailing of gems and jewellery through its online portal and physical stores.
Flipkart to launch its own map services:
· E-commerce firm Flipkart has partnered with MapUnity, a Bengaluru-based social technology company, to launch its map services.
· The network will cover 126 cities including those chosen in the ‘Smart Cities’ mission.
· The company said that the service will help it in handling logistics and supply chain.
· Notably, Flipkart had acquired 34% stake in Delhi-based digital mapping firm MapMyIndia last year.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
Scientists launch tools to analyze online trends
· Indiana University Scientists have released a set of free web-based tools called the Observatory on Social Media (OSoMe), that lets users analyze online trends, memes and other online viral activity.
· The team behind OSoMe had also launched another tool called BotOrNot in 2014, which predicts the likelihood of a Twitter account being operated by a “social bot” or a human.
World’s longest insect discovered in China:
· A new species of stick insect of the genus Phryganistria measuring 62.4 centimetres, which was discovered in southern China in 2014, was recently declared as theWorld’s longest insect.
· The creature surpassed the previous record holder, another stick insect discovered in 2008, by nearly six centimetres.
· Zhao Li, who had discovered the species, has named it Phryganistria chinensis Zhao.
Paytm now allows payment for vehicle parking:
· Digital payment platform Paytm has tied up with several property owners and parking management companies across the country to allow its users pay for vehicle parking.
· Users would be able to pay through their Paytm wallets using QR code and Barcode scanners.
· Currently, Paytm lets users pay for utilities including electricity, water, telephone, gas bills and at petrol pumps.
· Indian shooters won bronze medal in the women’s 25m Pistol event on the ISSF Junior World Cup held in Suhl, Germany.
· The women’s team of Sanjana Sehrawat, Chinki Yadav and Gauri Sheoran shot a total of 1695 to walk away with the bronze medal in the contest.
· Russia won the gold medal with a total of 1708 points while Germany had to settle for the silver medal with a total of 1698 points.
· Italy top the medals tally while the Russian Federation is at number two spot,
· However India’s in the medal’s tally placed at number three with a total of 10 medals which include three gold, four silver and three bronze medals.
Cameroon Footballer Patrick Ekeng dies after collapsing on pitch:
· Cameroon international footballer Patrick Ekeng has died after collapsing on the pitch playing a first division match with hisRomanian side Dinamo Bucharest.
· The 26-year old midfielder fell to the ground without any contact with another player in the 70th minute of the game against Viitorul, just seven minutes after coming on as a substitute.
· Cameroon midfielder Marc-Vivien Foe also died after collapsing on the pitch, during a Confederations Cup match in 2003 against Colombia in France.
· Defending Champion Pakistan won the Asian Kabaddi Championship 2016 (Circle Style) that held at Wah Cantonment in Pakistan. It defeated India by 19 points.
· Pakistan achieved 50 points against 31 by India in the final of the tournament.
· It is second successive win for Pakistan in the Asian Kabaddi title as they won it in 2012.
America’s Tori Bowie runs fastest 100m of 2016 in Doha:
· American Tori Bowie streaked to victory in the women’s 100 metres at the Doha Diamond League,equalling her personal best and smashing the meeting record with a world leading time of 10.80 seconds.
· The 25-year old, who was the world’s fastest woman over 100 metres in 2014, edged out her Dutch rival Dafne Schippers by 0.03 seconds.
· The Indian women’s team of Sanjana Sehrawat, Chinki Yadav and Gauri Sheoran won the bronze medal in the 25m Pistol event at the International Shooting Sport Federation’s Junior World Cup in Germany.
· Meanwhile, India are placed third in the competition’s medals tally, with a total of 10 medals which include three gold, four silver and three bronze medals.
Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis to play for doubles title of Madrid Open:
· The pair of Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis will clash with the fifth seeded French duo of Caroline Garcia and Kristina Mladenovic for the Women’s doubles title of Madrid Open Tennis.
· The in-form Sania-Hingis pair seems well set to win its fifth title of 2016 season. The partners have already won titles in Sydney, Brisbane, Australian Open and Saint Petersburg this season.
· World number 5 Rafael Nadal of Spain will face defending champion Andy Murray of Britain in the Men’s Singles semi-finals today.
· In another semifinal tonight, Kei Nishikori of Japan will take on World number one Serbian Novak Djokovic.
For More Daily Current Affairs Updates-