Current Affairs 10th January 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: IMPORTANT DAY
World Hindi Day:
- World Hindi Day is celebrated on January 10 every year, marking the anniversary of first World Hindi Conference which was held in 1975.
- The first World Hindi Conference was inaugurated by then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
- Since 1975, World Hindi Conference has been organised in different countries like India, Mauritius, United Kingdom, Trinidad and Tobago, United States etc.
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
Cabinet approves number of amendments in FDI Policy:
- The Cabinet gave its approval to a number of amendments in the Foreign Direct Investment, FDI Policy.
- It will lead to larger FDI inflows contributing to growth of investment, income and employment.
- Currently, FDI, upto 49 per cent is allowed under automatic route but any investment beyond the limit require government approval.
- Government has decided to permit 100 per cent FDI under automatic route for SBRT.
- Approval also has been given for 100 per cent FDI under automatic route in Construction Development.
- Foreign airlines have been allowed to invest up to 49 per cent under approval route in Air India.
Cabinet approves CCEA decision on closure of Tungabhadra Steel Products Limited:
- The Cabinet approved the implementation of the CCEA decision on closure of Tungabhadra Steel Products Limited, TSPL regarding disposal of its immovable assets.
- It also provides for getting the name of the company struck off from the Registrar of Companies after setting balance liabilities of TSPL.
- The CCEA had approved the closure of the company in December, 2015 after discharging all dues to employees and workers and creditors.
- Cabinet approved transfer of MMH Plants to Government of Karnataka along with 20,000 square meter land.
Cabinet approves fixed term for Chairperson and Members of National Trust for 3 years:
- The Cabinet approved the proposal to amend Section 4(1) and Section 5(1) of the National Trust for the Welfare of Person with Autism, Cerebral Plasy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities Act, 1999 to fix the term of the Chairperson and Members of the Board of National Trust for three years.
- Section 4(1) of the National Trust Act provides that the Chairperson or a Member of the Board of National Trust would continue in office beyond the prescribed term of three years until his successor shall have been duly appointed.
- In case of resignation of the Chairperson, section 5(1) of the Act provides for him to continue in office until his successor is duly appointed by the Government.
Cabinet approves continuation of MPLAD Scheme till March 31, 2020:
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has given its approval to continuation of Members of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme, MPLADS, till the term of the 14th Finance Commission which is 31st March 2020.
- The scheme will entail an annual allocation of 3,950 crore rupees. The MPLADS funds are released to the nodal District Authorities on receipt of requisite documents and as per provisions of Guidelines on MPLADS.
- The MPLAD Scheme has resulted into creation of various durable community assets which have impacted the social, cultural and economic life of the local communities in one way or the other.
Bhopal railway station 1st to get sanitary napkin dispenser:
- Bhopal railway station in Madhya Pradesh has become India’s first railway station to have a sanitary napkin vending machine.
- The machine named ‘Happy Nari’, installed by the Railway Women Welfare Association of Bhopal, dispenses two sanitary napkins for ₹5.
- Nearly 600 sanitary napkins were dispensed within nine hours of installing the machine on January 1.
- The machine has the capacity of holding 75 sanitary pads. A specially trained female staff will refill the machine.
|Madya Pradesh Capital
|Madya Pradesh Chief Minister
||Shivraj Singh Chouhan
|Madya Pradesh Governor
||Om Prakash Kohli
Current Affairs Today: INTERNATIONAL
China, France agree to further advance comprehensive strategic partnership
- China and France agreed to further advance their comprehensive strategic partnership.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping and French President Emmanuel Macron reached the consensus during their talks in Beijing.
- Macron is on a state visit to China from January 8 to 10 at Xi’s invitation. Xi said that Macron is the first foreign head of state to visit China in 2018, as well as the first European leader to visit China since the 19th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC).
||Euro, CFP franc
Saudi Arabia increases India’s Haj quota by 5,000:
- Saudi Arabia has increased India’s quota of Haj pilgrims by 5,000 in the second hike in two years.
- This takes the total number of Indian pilgrims who can perform Haj to over 1.75 lakh, including the 35,000 increase in quota last year. The increase will be effective from later this year.
- The Gulf country has expanded India’s quota after Naqvi signed a bilateral annual Haj agreement between India and Saudi Arabia with the Haj and Umrah Minister of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia at Mecca.
|Saudi Arabia Capital
|Saudi Arabia Currency
|Saudi Arabia King
||Ali Salman Ahmed Salman
Current Affairs Today: STATE
Rajasthan to digitise all historical records:
- The Rajasthan government is digitising 10,000 pages daily to preserve administrative and historical records of Rajputana’s princely states.
- The move will further boost the state government’s effort to use technology to improve the lives of people.
- These initiatives include a dedicated startup policy and various e-governance measures.
- The online records will help research scholars, administrative departments of state government, judiciary and general public.
- Further, it will be helpful in a variety of research uses including teaching purpose, building plans, publications and legal proceedings.
|Rajasthan Chief Minister
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
World Bank projects growth rate of 7.3% for India in 2018:
- The World Bank has projected India’s GDP growth rate at 7.3% for 2018 and 7.5% for the next two years.
- With an “ambitious government undertaking comprehensive reforms”, India has “enormous growth potential” compared to other emerging economies.
- Improved labour market, education and health reforms as well as relaxing investment bottleneck will help improve India’s prospects.
|World Bank Headquarters
||Washington, D.C., United States
|World Bank President
||Jim Yong Kim
|World Bank CEO
PhonePe inks pact with mobile wallet firm FreeCharge:
- Flipkart’s payments arm PhonePe has partnered mobile wallet company FreeCharge to allow the latter’s customers pay for transactions at PhonePe’s partner merchants.
- According to the deal terms, PhonePe has now enabled its over 45 million users to link their existing FreeCharge wallets to the PhonePe app.
- Once linked, PhonePe customers will be able to spend their FreeCharge wallet balance at all online and offline merchant outlets that accept payments via PhonePe.
IndusInd Bank to roll out battery-powered payment cards:
- IndusInd Bank and Dynamics Inc announced plans to introduce the first battery-powered, interactive payment cards in the Indian market in 2018.
- The new IndusInd Bank card from Pennsylvania-based Dynamics, which designs and manufactures intelligent, battery-powered payment cards, has multiple buttons that let the consumer use a single card to pay in multiple ways.
- With the touch of a button, consumers can select credit points or monthly instalments as payment option. A different colour light will activate based on the selected payment option.
- The solution requires no changes to the payment infrastructure or merchant systems. Consumers can pay using points or via instalment method wherever MasterCard is accepted.
|IndusInd Bank Headquarters
|IndusInd Bank Tagline
||We Make You Feel Richer
|IndusInd Bank MD and CEO
Paytm sets up investment and wealth management unit for its users:
- Mobile-first financial services platform Paytm announced the setting up of yet another company, ‘Paytm Money Limited’.
- It’s wholly owned subsidiary of One97 Communications, the firm that owns the Paytm brand, to build investment and wealth management products for its users.
- Paytm Money will be the fourth consumer brand from the company after Paytm, Paytm Mall and Paytm Payments Bank.
- The new brand will deal in money market fund where users would be able to store cash and earn interest.
||Vijay Shekhar Sharma
Current Affairs Today: APPOINTMENTS
Rajiv Bindal elected as speaker of 13th Himachal Pradesh legislative assembly:
- In Himachal Pradesh, Dr. Rajiv Bindal MLA from Nahan has been elected unanimously as speaker of 13 th Himachal Pradesh legislative assembly.
- Bindal Hails from solan and have been continuously a member of the house since year 2000.
- He was health minister in previous BJP government and a popular leader from Nahan from where he was elected second time after his constituency was declared reserved following delimitation in 2012.
|Himachal Pradesh Capital
||Shimla, Dharamsala (Second Capital in Winter)
|Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister
||Jai Ram Thakur
|Himachal Pradesh Governor
||Acharya Dev Vrat
JK Tyre appoints Rajiv Prasad as head of India operations:
- JK Tyre & Industries has appointed Rajiv Prasad as president of India Operations.
- Prasad brings with him a rich experience of managing large businesses for nearly 30 years.
Lt. Gen. Y V K Mohan takes over as Commander of 9 Corps:
- Lieutenant General Yenduru Venkata Krishna Mohan took over as the 13th Corps Commander of the Rising Star Corps from Lt Gen S K Saini.
- Gen. Mohan has had an illustrious career during which he commanded an Infantry Brigade in High-Altitude Area and a Mountain Division along the China frontier.
- Gen. Mohan is a graduate of the Defence Service Staff College, Wellington, and has studied at the Royal College of Defence Studies, London.
- The 9 Corps, also known as the Rising Star Corps, was raised in 2005 and is the Indian Army’s youngest corps. It is based in Yol cantonment town in Kangra Valley, southeast of Dharamsala in Himachal Pradesh.
Current Affairs Today: AWARDS
Trump named world’s most oppressive leader on press freedom:
- US President Donald Trump has been named the world’s most oppressive leader towards press freedom by New York-based non-profit organisation Committee to Protect Journalists.
- While Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan was named the ‘Most Thin-Skinned’ over his efforts to charge his critics
- Chinese President Xi Jinping was ranked the highest in the ‘Tightest Grip on Media’ category.
Matunga Railway station enters Limca Book of Records for having all-women staff:
- The Matunga suburban station on the Central Railway of Mumbai division has figured in the Limca Book of Records 2018 for having an all-woman staff.
- The achievement comes six months after Matunga became the first railway station in the country to be run by an all-woman staff.
- A team of 41 women staffers at the station includes personnel from the RPF, commercial and operating departments. These staffers work under the supervision of station manager Mamta Kulkarni.
- The staff has been handling all operations of the station round-the-clock for the last six months and results are positive and encouraging.
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
Aanchal Thakur becomes first Indian to win an international medal in skiing:
- Aanchal Thakur created history by becoming the first Indian to win an international medal in skiing.
- The Manali resident grabbed a Bronze medal in the slalom race category at Alpine Ejder 3200 Cup organised by Skiing’s international governing body, Federation International de Ski (FIS) at the Palandoken Ski Centre, in Erzurum in Turkey.
- India bagged its first-ever medal at an international skiing event after 21-year-old Aanchal Thakur won bronze at the Alpine Ejder 3200 Cup in Erzurum, Turkey.
- The Himachal Pradesh native clinched the medal in the slalom race category. Thakur has previously represented India at the 2012 Winter Youth Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria.
Bahrain to host first-ever ‘Baby Olympics’:
- Bahrain has announced plans to host the first-ever ‘Baby Olympics’ where two to four-year-olds will take part in the games in April.
- The Athletics competition will host three events: medley relay for four year-olds, a hurdles toddle for three year-olds, while participating two year-olds will cross a specially designed stretch of 15 meters in a freestyle race.
- Other Olympic events will include a freestyle gymnastic moves contest, a free-kick competition in football, a basketball free-throws contest and a weightlifting show.
- The move is aimed at creating awareness among youngsters to practice sport.
|Bahrain Prime Minister
||Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa
Wang Jiali has been banned for 8 years after failing drugs test:
- The Chinese Athletics Association (CAA) stated that China’s national marathon champion and Olympian Wang Jiali has been banned for eight years after failing a drugs test.
- The 31-year-old, who won gold at the 2017 National Games, tested positive for the banned blood booster EPO during out-of-competition testing in August and her career now appears over.
- The CAA also fined Wang 40,000 yuan and banned her coach Lyu Qiang for life.
- Wang – who came 57th in the marathon at the 2012 London Olympics – was banned for two years in 2013 for a previous violation.
Cuba, Russia to take part in India Open boxing:
- Cuba and Russia will be in action at the richest boxing tournament ever in the country — the USD 100,000 India Open starting January 28 in New Delhi.
- The India Open is an international Championship that is being held in Delhi.
- It will have participation from 25 countries such as Cuba, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Russia.
- India will be fielding four teams in the event, which will have both men and women pugilists fighting it out at the Thyagaraj Stadium in New Delhi.
- Every gold-medallist will be richer by USD 2500, while the silver and bronze winners in each weight category will be presented USD 1000 and USD 500 respectively.