Current Affairs 13th January 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
President Ram Nath Kovind visits Maharashtra to inaugurate Economic Democracy Conclave:
- President Ram Nath Kovind visit Maharashtra and inaugurate the Economic Democracy Conclave’ at Thane.
- The conclave was being organised by Rambhau Mhalgi Prabodhini with an aim to create a platform for young entrepreneurs and self-employed individuals and provide them motivation, networking and mentoring.
- He also visit the Global Vipassana Pagoda in Mumbai, before returning to Delhi.
Warships Nirbhik, Nirghat decommissioned:
- Warships INS Nirbhik and INS Nirghat were decommissioned in Mumbai, after serving the Navy for 30 and 28 years respectively.
- The warships were decommissioned at a solemn ceremony at the Naval Dockyard, a Defence.
- The ceremony involved the traditional lowering of the ensign and commissioning pendants with the playing of ‘Last Post’.
- They participated in many operations including Op Parakram and Vijay and were deployed off Gujarat on many occasions for patrolling.
Information and broadcasting ministry plans to merge film units:
- The information and broadcasting (I&B) ministry plans to merge its various film units, a move aimed at realigning its resources to enhance efficiency.
- Last month, the ministry had integrated its three departments — Directorate of Field Publicity (DFP), Song and Drama Division (S&DD) and Directorate of Advertising and Visual Publicity (DAVP).
- Now the ministry is planning to merge its film units — National Film Development Corp (NFDC), Children’s Film Society India (CFSI), Directorate of Film Festivals (DIFF) and Films Division of India.
- The merger of film units will improve efficiency by eliminating overlapping of operations.
|Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (Cabinet Minister)
|Member of Rajya Sabha
|Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (Minister of State)
||Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore
Bihar poorest state in India, Delhi richest: National survey
- National Family Health Survey on around 6 lakh households in 2015-16 has revealed that Bihar is India’s poorest state, while Delhi is the richest.
- The survey classifies all households into five wealth quintiles, according to which Bihar has more than half of its households in the bottom quintile, while Delhi has over 60% households in the top quintile.
Microsoft partners Accenture to focus on B2B startups in India:
- Technology giant Microsoft and consulting firm Accenture have partnered to focus on business to business (B2B) startups in India.
- Under this partnership, both the firm will support growth-stage technology B2B startups to boost their enterprise readiness and go-to market.
- While Microsoft is running a global Accelerator program, whereas Accenture Ventures partners with and invests in growth-stage companies that create solution for enterprise.
||Washington, United States
||Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Current Affairs Today: INTERNATIONAL
India gives $45.27 million aid to develop KKS harbour in Sri Lanka:
- An agreement for Indian financial assistance for $45.27 million (LKR 6.9 billion) for upgrading Kankesanthurai (KKS) Harbour
- The agreement was signed in New Delhi by David Rasquinha, Managing Director, Export-Import Bank of India and RHS Samaratunga, Secretary to Treasury of Sri Lanka.
- The upgradation project would make KKS Harbour a full- fledged commercial port, further strengthening Sri Lanka’s efforts to become a regional maritime hub.
- It would also assist in reconstruction efforts in northern Sri Lanka.
|Sri Lanka Capital
||Colombo, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
|Sri Lanka Currency
||Sri Lankan Rupee
|Sri Lanka President
Saudi allows women to visit country without a male companion:
- Women aged 25 and above will now be allowed to visit Saudi Arabia alone, without being accompanied by a male companion.
- The move is a part of Saudi Arabia’s broader plans to issue tourist visas.
- Saudi’s promotion of tourism is aimed at diversifying its source of revenue generation.
|Saudi Arabia Capital
|Saudi Arabia Currency
|Saudi Arabia King
||Ali Salman Ahmed Salman
India, UK sign pact on return of illegal immigrants:
- India has signed an MoU with the UK to enable the return of illegal Indian immigrants within a month of their detection.
- Both the countries also agreed to share criminal records. Indians constitute the largest number of illegal immigrants living in the UK, as per reports.
|UK Prime Minster
Current Affairs Today: STATE
Maharashtra may ban plastic banners, containers:
- After banning certain types of plastic bags, the Maharashtra government is now planning to ban plastic banners, containers and hoardings, among others, by March 2018.
- Plastic used for packing and packaging will be exempted from the ban.
- The state environment department has directed the authorities to ensure strict implementation of the proposed ban.
|Maharashtra Chief Minister
||C. Vidyasagar Rao
Karnataka Chief Minister launches Mysuru’s Indira Canteens:
- Mysuru’s first Indira Canteen was launched on the premises of Command Area Development Authority (CADA) office near the Mysuru Palace.
- Chief Minister Siddaramaiah inaugurated the canteen and also savoured the inaugural breakfast – Upma and Kesaribath.
- 11 canteens will be operated across Mysuru city, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner at subsidised costs.
|Karnataka Chief Minister
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
IDFC Bank, Capital First announce merger:
- IDFC Bank and non-banking financial company Capital First have received approval from their respective boards for a merger.
- Under the deal, IDFC Bank will issue 139 shares for every 10 shares of Capital First.
- It will bring two tech savvy, culturally aligned platforms to come together to create a diversified and fast growing universal bank with a national footprint, in a manner that will be value accretive for all shareholders.
- V Vaidyanathan, who is currently chairman and MD of Capital First, will succeed Lall as MD and CEO of the combined entity upon completion of the merger and necessary regulatory approvals.
- Post-merger, Lall will step into the role of non-executive chairman of IDFC Bank, subject to regulatory approvals. He will replace Veena Mankar, who will remain on the board.
|IDFC Bank Headquarters
|IDFC Bank CEO
|Capital First MD
Retail inflation rises to 5.21% in December:
- Retail inflation crossed the RBI’s comfort level and rose to 5 point 21 percent in December on rise in prices of food items, egg and vegetables, dashing hopes of interest rate cut in the near future.
- The retail inflation, based on Consumer Price Index (CPI), was 4.88 percent in November. In December 2015, it was 3.41 percent.
- The Reserve Bank has been asked by the government to keep inflation at 4 percent, plus or minus 2 percent, and its rise beyond the comfort zone will put pressure on the central bank not cut interest rate (repo rate).
- The data revealed that eggs, vegetables and fruits became costlier, while inflation moderated in case of cereals and pulses.
Current Affairs Today: AWARDS
S.P. Balasubrahmanyam was conferred with the Lifetime Achievement award:
- Singer S.P. Balasubrahmanyam was conferred the Lifetime Achievement award by Nandi Fine Arts and KAPRI, in association with the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan at an event titled ‘Violin maestro Kalaimamani L. Vaidyanathan – 75 – a celebration of his life and music’.
- He had sung over 40,000 songs till date, but he was more concerned about the songs that pleased the audience than mere numbers.
- Singer Vani Jayaram, musician V. Rajkumar Bharathi and other eminent personalities took part in the event.
Actor Sudhir Dalvi gets Janakavi P Sawlaram award:
- Actor Sudhir Dalvi was honoured with the Janakavi P Sawlaram award at a function in Thane.
- City mayor Meenakshi Shinde presented Dalvi a citation. The award is jointly given by the Thane Municipal Corporation and the Janakavi P Savlaram Kala Samiti.
- Well-known dancer Jaishree T was bestowed with the Ganga Jamuna award, which is instituted in memory of a popular song written by Sawlaram.
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
Sarjubala Devi claims gold in National Women’s Boxing Championship:
- Former world silver medallist Sarjubala Devi representing Manipur claimed the gold in 48 kg category in the National Women’s Boxing Championships in Rohtak, Haryana.
- She was also given the best boxer trophy. Sarjubala edged past Haryana’s Ritu 3-2 to clinch Manipur’s lone gold medal and her second successive national title.
- Former world and Asian champion L Sarita Devi representing the All India Police, AIP picked up a gold medal in the 60 kg category.
- The other gold winners were Sonia Lather representing Railway Sports Promotion Board, RSPB in 57 kg category, Meena Kumari of AIP in 54 kg category and Rajesh Narwal from RSPB in 48 kg category. RSPB emerged as the overall champions.
Roberto Bautista Agut beats Juan Martin Del Potro to win Auckland Classic title:
- Roberto Bautista Agut continued to shine in New Zealand when the Spaniard won his second Auckland Classic title with a 6-1 4-6 7-5 victory over second seed Juan Martin Del Potro.
- Del Potro had advanced to the final behind his booming forehand that nullified the superb defensive game of David Ferrer.