Current Affairs 1st February 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: IMPORTANT DAY
Indian Coast Guard Day:
- Indian Coast Guard Day celebrated on February 1 every year.
- The Coast Guard, which came into existence on February 1, 1997, is an armed force of the Union under the Ministry of Defence, and is responsible for the protection of national interests in maritime zones comprising an area of 2.01 million sq. km and a coastline of over 7,500 km.
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
INS Karanj launched in Mumbai:
- The Indian Navy’s third state-of-the-art Scorpene class submarine, INS Karanj, was launched by Reena Lanba, wife of Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lanba in Mumbai.
- The new submarine is named after the earlier Kalvari class INS Karanj, which was decommissioned in 2003.
- Six Scorpene class submarines are being built under Project 75 by the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDSL), Mumbai, under a $3.75 billion technology transfer signed in October 2005 with the Naval Group of France.
Sixth interceptor boat for Coast Guard launched:
- An interceptor boat, built for the Indian Coast Guard, has been launched here by Bharati Defence and Infrastructure Limited (BDIL).
- The boat V-410 is the sixth in the series of 15 interceptors for which the company had been given a contract.
- The vessel will be commissioned into the Indian Coast Guard at its Kochi station later.
- This is the second such interceptor boat the BDIL has launched at its shipyard at Panambur here for the Coast Guard after the launch of V-409 in November.
- Three more interceptor boats for the maritime force would be launched soon.
7th India Energy Congress 2018 inaugurated by Power and New & Renewable Energy minister RK Singh:
- Power and New and Renewable Energy Minister R K Singh inaugurated the 7th India Energy Congress 2018 organised by World Energy Council India in New Delhi
- India’s per capita power consumption of 1,200 units is likely to go up by three to four times by 2030 as it aspires to become a developed country with GDP growth rate averaging 8.5 percent and the country is also committed to environmental protection.
||Energy 4.0: Energy Transition Towards 2030
Current Affairs Today: INTERNATIONAL
Sushma Swaraj leaves for Nepal on two-day visit:
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has left for Kathmandu a short while ago on a two-day visit to Nepal.
- It is the 7th visit of Mrs. Swaraj to Nepal since assuming office in May 2014 affirming close bonds of friendship between the two countries.
- The visit is in keeping with the tradition of regular high-level political exchanges between India and Nepal and reflects the expanding bilateral partnership and the importance that these two countries attach to further strengthening it across diverse sectors.
|Nepal Prime Minister
||Sher Bahadur Deuba
EU announces funding package of 42.5 million euros to help build Palestinian state:
- The European Union (EU) has announced a new funding package of 42 (point) 5 million euros to help the Palestinians build their new state.
- The announcement came as Brussels urged the US to not go it alone in an effort to make peace between Israel and the Palestinians.
||Israeli new Shekel, Egyptian Pound, Jordanian Dinar
US Ambassador to UN Nikki Haley pays visit to Indian Embassy in Washington and meets Indian Ambassador Navtej Sarna:
- US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley paid a visit to the Indian Embassy in Washington and met Indian Ambassador Navtej Sarna.
- The Indian-American diplomat stated that, the India-US relations should grow stronger and Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump is a good combination to achieve this.
Venezuela announces pre-sale of oil-backed cryptocurrency:
- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro announced February 20 as the pre-sale date for a cryptocurrency backed by the country’s vast oil reserves.
- The cryptocurrency, named “petro”, will have a great impact on the country’s economy.
- The launch of the cryptocurrency is aimed at reviving the country from the biggest financial crisis in its history.
Current Affairs Today: STATE
Maharashtra Government to give sanitary pads to 7L girls for Rs. 5 per pack:
- The Maharashtra government has announced a scheme under which a packet of sanitary pads will be made available to seven lakh girls from government schools in rural parts for 5.
- Named ‘Asmita’, the scheme will cover girls aged between 11 and 19 and nearly 1.75 crore rural women, who will receive two types of packets for 24 and 29 each.
|Maharashtra Chief Minister
||C. Vidyasagar Rao
Uttar Pradesh to provide employment to kin of martyrs
- The Uttar Pradesh Cabinet approved a scheme aimed at providing employment to the family members of the security personnel who were martyred after April 1, 2017.
- One dependant from each martyr’s family aged above 18 years will be provided employment in the state government at the earliest.
|Uttar Pradesh Capital
|Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
|Uttar Pradesh Governor
Karnataka schools to have lessons on road safety in syllabus:
- The Karnataka government has announced that all children studying in government, aided and unaided schools will have lessons on road safety from the academic year 2019-20.
- The syllabus will cover topics such as violation of traffic rules and punishment, pedestrian safety, emergency contacts during road mishaps among others.
- Teachers will also undergo capacity building training on road safety.
|Karnataka Chief Minister
Punjab government bans sale of Endosulfan, other insecticides:
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh approved a ban on the sale of Endosulfan and 19 other insecticides reported to be harmful for human beings as well as from the environmental sustainability and economic viability aspects.
- Acting on the recommendations of the Registration Committee, Punjab Agricultural University (PAU), and the Punjab State Farmers’ Commission (PSFC), the chief minister, who also holds the agriculture portfolio, gave his nod to the ban, to be effective from February 1.
|Punjab Chief Minister
||V. P. Singh Badnore
Maharashtra government approves new wildlife sanctuary at Ghodazari:
- The Maharashtra government has approved Ghodazari in Chandrapur district as a new wildlife sanctuary in the state.
- The decision was taken at the 13th meeting of the Maharashtra State Board for Wildlife, chaired by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
- The sanctuary, in the North East of Tadoba, will include 159 sq km of Brahmapuri forest. “This will not only save the forest, but will also improve tourism in nearly 40 villages in the area.
|Maharashtra Chief Minister
||C. Vidyasagar Rao
Important Budget Highlights:
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has presented the Union Budget 2018 in both Hindi and English.
- Government announced ₹56,619 crore for SC welfare and ₹39,135 crore for ST welfare.
- Every block with more than 50% ST population and at least 20,000 tribal people will have an ‘Ekalavya’ model residential school by 2022.
- The government has allocated ₹14.3 lakh crore to be spent for rural infrastructure.
- Every block with more than 50% ST population and at least 20,000 tribal people will have a model residential school by 2022.
- Social security will be provided to aged, widows, and orphaned children.
- The government plans to construct 2 crore more toilets under the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan over the next two years.
- Agri-Market Development Fund with a corpus of ₹2,000 crore will be set up for developing agricultural markets. The government will develop 22,000 Gramin Agricultural Markets.
- The institutional credit for agricultural activities has been increased from ₹10 lakh crore to ₹11 lakh crore for the FY 2018-19. The Grameen Agricultural Market (GRAM) will provide farmers a means to sell directly to buyers.
- The government will contribute 12% of wages of new employees in all sectors to the Employees’ Provident Fund for the next 3 years. There will be no changes in employer contribution.
- Government has announced the world’s largest government-funded healthcare programme with ₹5 lakh annual cover per family for 10 crore poor families.
- The government also allocated ₹1200 crore for construction of 1.5 lakh new healthcare centres.
- Setting up of 24 new government medical colleges and hospitals by upgrading existing district hospitals
- The government has allotted ₹1,48,528 crore for Indian Railways capital expenditure in the Budget 2018, in the highest-ever fund allocation for the Railways capital needs.
- The focus will remain on increasing the use of technology and fog safety devices, the government plans to renew 36,000 km of rail tracks.
- All railway stations and trains in India will get WiFi and CCTV cameras.
- More than 25,000 footfall will get escalators.
- The President’s monthly salary will be increased to ₹5 lakh from the earlier ₹1.5 lakh.
- Further, the Vice President’s monthly salary will be increased to ₹4 lakh from ₹1.25 lakh.
- The government has proposed a law to automatically revise MPs’ salaries every 5 years.
- Customs duty on mobile phones imported from outside India will be increased to 20 per cent from the current 15 per cent.
- For manufacturers, who are importing mobile phone parts into the country, the duty will be hiked to 20 per cent from the existing 15 per cent.
- ₹10,000 crore was allocated for creating and supporting telecom infrastructure under various government projects.
- The creation of 5 lakh Wi-Fi hotspots to provide internet access to 5 crore rural citizens
- The government expects around 58% increase in revenue at over ₹48 crore from the telecom sector in 2018-19.
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
India 6th wealthiest country with total wealth of $8,230 billion:
- India has been ranked sixth in the list of wealthiest countries with total wealth of $8,230 billion, while the United States topped the chart.
- According to a report by New World Wealth, the US is the wealthiest country with total wealth of $64,584 billion, followed by China ($24,803 billion) and Japan ($19,522 billion).
- Total wealth refers to the private wealth held by all the individuals living in each country/city. It includes all their assets (property, cash, equities, business interests) less any liabilities.
- Others in the list include United Kingdom (4th, $9,919 billion), Germany (5th, $9,660 billion), France (7th, $6,649 billion), Canada (8th, $6,393 billion), Australia (9th, $6,142 billion) and Italy (10th, $4,276 billion).
State Bank of India to offer credit cards to farmer:
- State Bank of India is planning to sell credit cards to farmers on easier terms.
- The country’s largest lender has tied up with its credit card issuing subsidiary SBI Card to make it happen.
- This is perhaps the first time that a bank is offering credit card product to farmers, who are the backbone of India’s agrarian economy, to purchase goods on credit.
- Till now, small farmers have access to bank credit by way of Kisan Credit Cards, which are typically linked with bank accounts and offer cash credit facility to account holders.
|State Bank of India Headquarters
|State Bank of India Tagline
||With you all the way ,Pure banking nothing else, The nation’s bank on us
|State Bank of India Chairman
Government to merge three general insurance companies:
- As part of divestment of public sector entities, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley stated that government will merge three general insurance firms into one and subsequently list the entity on stock exchanges.
- Three public sector general insurance companies – National Insurance Co Ltd, United India Insurance Co Ltd and Oriental India Insurance Company – will be merged into a single insurance company and be subsequently listed.
- The government has begun strategic disinvestment in 24 public sector units (PSUs), including national carrier Air India.
- As part of divestment of stake in its general insurance firms, the government diluted stakes in New India Assurance Co Ltd and General Insurance Corporation of India last year.
|Oriental Insurance Headquarters
|Oriental Insurance Tagline
||Prithivi, Agni, Jal, Akash, Sabhi Suraksha Hamare Pass.
|Oriental Insurance MD and CEO
||A V Girija Kumar
|National Insurance Headquarters
|National Insurance Tagline
||Trusted Since 1906, Thoda simple Socho
|National Insurance MD and CEO
||K. Sanath Kumar
|United India Insurance Headquarters
|United India Insurance Tagline
||Rest Assured with us
|United India Insurance MD and CEO
State Bank of India inks information utility pact with NeSL:
- State Bank of India has signed an Information Utility (IU) agreement with National E-Governance Services Ltd (NeSL) to share financial and security information under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IU) regulation 2017.
- The agreement comes in the wake of Reserve Bank of India advising all financial creditors regulated by it to adhere to the relevant provisions of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC), 2016 and IBBI (IUs) Regulation 2017 and submit financial and security information to IU.
- NeSL is the first IU registered with IBBI. The company has been set up by 17 financial institutions, including State Bank of India, Life Insurance Corporation of India, Bank of Baroda, Canara Bank, ICICI Bank.
- Under IBC, IU will offer services for accepting electronic submission of financial information, recording the same safely and accurately, verifying and authenticating the financial information submitted by a person and providing access to information stored to persons specified by the IBBI Regulations.
New e-way bill system comes into force to bring uniformity across the states for smooth inter-state movement of goods:
- A new e-way bill system will come into effect. Under the new system, every transporter will have to carry a system-generated bill to move goods from one place to another.
- The e-way bill system has been introduced to bring uniformity across the states for seamless inter-state movement of goods.
- Under the Goods and Services Tax, interstate transportation of goods beyond 10 kilometres with a value of 50,000 rupees and above, will mandatorily require the e-way bill.
- Last month, the GST Council decided to implement the e-way bill mechanism throughout the country from 1st of February, 2018.
- The Goods and Services Tax Network informed the transporters that e-way bill would become mandatory for inter-state movements of goods.
Current Affairs Today: APPOINTMENTS
Surendra Kumar new Chief Electoral Officer of Odisha:
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) has appointed senior IAS officer Surendra Kumar as the new Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) of Odisha.
- Kumar will replace D N Gupta. The Odisha government has been informed about the appointment of Kumar as the CEO in a gazette notification.
- Kumar, a 1993 batch IAS officer is currently serving as the principal secretary in ST and SC Welfare Department with additional charge as the Principal Secretary of Information & Public Relations (I&PR) Department of Odisha government.
|Odisha Chief Minister
Current Affairs Today: SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY
Google adds Hindi language support for its digital assistant:
- Technology giant Google has added Hindi language support for its digital assistant for users on Allo messenger in India.
- The feature can be enabled by setting “English (India)” as the primary language on Android phones.
- Google Assistant then translates the Hindi voice commands to English and displays the answer in Hindi on the screen.
||California, United States
SpaceX launches satellite into orbit on used Falcon 9 rocket:
- Space exploration startup SpaceX has launched a used Falcon 9 rocket loaded with a geo-communications satellite GovSat-1 commissioned by the Luxembourg government.
- The satellite will support humanitarian and military operations for Luxembourg, among other communications functions.
- SpaceX stated that it won’t attempt to recover the first stage of the rocket, which previously flew on a mission in May 2017.
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
Sharath Kamal lifts National Men’s singles title for 8th time:
- Sharath Kamal has lifted the National men’s singles title for the eighth time, equalling the feat of Kamlesh Mehta.
- In the final at the Senior Table Tennis Nationals in Ranchi, he defeated top-seed Anthony Amalraj 4-1. The winner received two lakh rupees as prize money.
- Suthirta Mukherjee from West Bengal emerged the new women champion, beating Hyderabad Nationals winner Manika Batra 4-3.
- Her maiden effort fetched 1.5 lakh rupees, while Manika received 50 percent less in prize money.
National ‘A’ Chess Tourney for the Blind from February 3:
- The 13th edition of the ‘AICFB National A Chess Championship for the visually challenged’ will be held here from February 3 to 11.
- The championship is being organised by the All India Chess Federation for the Blind (AICFB), a media.
- There will be a selection of Indian team for the forthcoming ‘World Team Chess Championship’ in July 2018.
- Total 14 players have been selected to take part in the prestigious tournament on the basis of their performance in the National ‘B’ Chess tournament.
- The National ‘A’ chess championship is considered to be the strongest chess tournament in India where nine international players, who have represented India in the past world championships including medal winners in Olympiad, will be present.
- The winner will be crowned as India’s ‘National Blind Chess Champion’ for 2018.