Current Affairs 22nd January 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology announced the ‘Cyber Surakshit Bharat’ initiative:
- The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), announced the ‘Cyber Surakshit Bharat’ initiative in association with National e-Governance Division (NeGD) and industry partners.
- Cyber Surakshit Bharat will be operated on the three principles of Awareness, Education and Enablement.
- Cyber Surakshit Bharat is the first public-private partnership of its kind and will leverage the expertise of the IT industry in cyber security.
|Union Minister of Electronics and Information Technology
||Ravi Shankar Prasad
Prime Minister Narendra Modi to arrive at Davos to attend annual meeting of World Economic Forum:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives at Davos in Switzerland to attend the annual meeting of 48th World Economic Forum.
- Prime Minister will deliver the keynote address at the plenary session tomorrow, the first day of the four-day long annual summit at Davos.
- The session will be moderated by Prof Klaus Schwab, the Founder and Executive Chairman of World Economic Forum.
|Theme of the summit
||Creating a Shared Future in a Fractured World
Indian Naval Sailing Vessel- INSV Tarini enters Port Stanley, Falkland islands:
- The Indian Navy’s first all-women crew of Indian Naval Sailing Vessel- INSV Tarini entered Port Stanley, Falkland islands.
- The crew of six women naval officers is sailing on Tarini, a 55-foot yacht, on their eight-month circumnavigation of the globe.
- This is the first-ever Indian circumnavigation of the globe by an all-women crew.
- Tarini had left Goa for their historic journey in September last year. It has covered approximately 15000 Nautical miles from Goa, crossing the Equator, Cape Leeuwin and Cape Horn.
- The indigenously-built INSV Tarini was inducted into the Indian Navy in last February and showcases the ‘Make in India’ initiative on the International forum.
- The expedition titled ‘Navika Sagar Parikrama’, is in consonance with the National policy to empower women to attain their full potential.
Current Affairs Today: INTERNATIONAL
China donates over 32,000 solar power generators to Nepal:
- China has donated over 32,000 solar power generating systems to Nepal to enhance its domestic capacity and to provide electricity to communities that have been without power since the 2015 earthquake.
- The donated items included 32,000 sets of household solar power generation systems and 325 sets of solar power generation systems.
|Nepal Prime Minister
||Sher Bahadur Deuba
Italy launches portal to report fake news ahead of elections:
- The Italian government has launched an online portal for citizens to report what they consider fake news.
- Users will be required to provide a link to the misinformation they are reporting and any social networks they find it on.
- This comes in the wake of concerns that fake news could influence public opinion ahead of the country’s general elections.
||Euro, Italian Lira
Saudi coalition announces 1.5 billion USD in aid for Yemen:
- Saudi Arabia has announced 1.5 billion US Dollars in new aid for Yemen, where nearly three years of conflict has devastated the local economy and pushed millions to the brink of famine, causing what the United Nations describes as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
- The coalition it heads in Yemen would also lead the expansion of additional Yemeni ports to receive cargo and humanitarian assistance, ensure multiple daily flights of cargo planes carrying aid from Saudi Arabia to Yemen’s Marib province
- Establish “safe passage corridors” to ensure transportation of aid to non-governmental organisations operating inside Yemen.
|Saudi Arabia Capital
|Saudi Arabia Currency
|Saudi Arabia King
||Ali Salman Ahmed Salman
||Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi
Current Affairs Today: STATE
India’s 1st Garbage Festival organised in Chhattisgarh:
- The Raipur Municipal Corporation in Chhattisgarh organised the three-day Kachra Mahotsav 2018, India’s first Garbage Festival.
- The festival aimed to increase awareness, use the waste generated in the city creatively, and to showcase multiple techniques for reusing things that are labelled as garbage.
- The event had workshops, talks, and performances.
|Chhattisgarh Chief Minister
||Balram Dass Tandon
Four districts of Nagaland declared Open Defecation Free under Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin):
- In Nagaland, four districts namely Mokokchung, Zunheboto, Kiphire and Longleng have achieved the status of Open Defecation Free under Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin).
- This achievement was conferred last year in the month of July. Among the many villages in the state, Ungma Village of Mokokchung District is one such village that has adapted to a cleaner and healthy life.
- Ungma village, under Mokochung District mostly inhabited by Ao Naga tribe became one of the most talked villages in Nagaland for its achievement in various fields of art, culture and the recent being achievement in Swachh status.
- Since then, there was no turning back for the people of Ungma to have a healthy and sanitary life. With the initiative of the village council, youth, churches and help from the nodal department PHED, the village have been able to achieve cent percent household individual toilets.
|Nagaland Chief Minister
||T. R. Zeliang
||Padmanabha Balkrishna Acharya
International Conference on Wild Silk Moths begins in Assam:
- In Assam, the eighth edition of the International Conference on Wild Silk Moths began in Guwahati. The Centre has taken the slew of measures for the development of silk and textile sector.
- 110 districts of North East are silk producers and hoped that the conference would help in increasing income of the people of the region who are involved with silk industry.
- India is holding the event for the second time with an aim to explore latest research and development. The conference is being organized by the Central Silk Board and International Society for Wild Silk Moths
|Assam Chief Minister
Maharashtra plans housing scheme for construction workers:
- The Maharashtra labour department is coming out with a housing scheme for construction workers with a target of 1 lakh houses in the next one year.
- The scheme was part of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) with the housing department as its nodal agency.
|Maharashtra Chief Minister
||C. Vidyasagar Rao
Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Inaugurates World War II Memorial Museum at Jairampur:
- In Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu inaugurated the World War II Memorial Museum in Jairampur in Changlang District.
- The war memorial has the collection of the remnants of world war 2, personal belongings of the soldiers and other persons involved.
- The museum also showcases traditional items from local Tangsa community. The memorial is a cemetery site where about 833 graves including mass graves have been discovered.
- The museum is built through funding from Union Ministry of Culture for Rs 2.25 crores and executed by state PWD.
|Arunachal Pradesh Capital
||Itanagar, Guwahati (Judiciary)
|Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister
|Arunachal Pradesh Governor
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
WEF ranks India at 62nd place on Inclusive Development Index:
- India was ranked at the 62nd place among emerging economies on an Inclusive Development Index, much below China’s 26th position and Pakistan’s 47th, according to the World Economic Forum (WEF).
- Norway remains the world’s most inclusive advanced economy, while Lithuania again tops the list of emerging economies.
- The annual meeting attended by several world leaders including Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump.
- The index takes into account the “living standards, environmental sustainability and protection of future generations from further indebtedness”.
Apple partners with Malala Fund to support girls’ education:
- Technology giant Apple has partnered with Malala Fund to support girls’ education, thereby becoming its first Laureate partner.
- The Fund plans to extend the funding programs to India and Latin America with Apple’s help in terms of technology, curriculum and education policy research.
- Founded in 2013, the Malala Fund aims to empower girls by helping them access quality education.
Current Affairs : Business
Google got patent for Tencent
- Tech giant Google has entered a patent licensing agreement with China’s Tencent.
- Google said that the patent deal covers “a broad range of products and technologies” and is “long-term.”
Current Affairs Today: APPOINTMENTS
Om Prakash Rawat appointed as the new Chief Election commissioner:
- Om Prakash Rawat has been appointed as the new Chief Election Commissioner of India
- To replace his position former finance secretary Ashok Lavasa has been made as the election commissioner.
- Election Commissioner of India is equal to the chief justice Supreme Court.
|Chief Election Commissioner of India
||Om Prakash Rawat
| Election commissioners.
Chandra Bhushan Paliwal appointed as Uttar Pradesh SSSC chairman:
- Chandra Bhushan Paliwal was appointed as the chairman of the newly-constituted Uttar Pradesh Subordinate Services Selection Commission (UPSSSC).
- Hriday Narrain Rao, Seema Rani, Onkar Prasad Mishra, Arun Kumar Sinha and Ashok Kumar Agarwal have been made members of the Commission.
- UPSSSC is authorised to conduct examinations for appointments to various government posts in the state.
|Uttar Pradesh Capital
|Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
|Uttar Pradesh Governor
Current Affairs Today: AWARDS
Priyanka Chopra nominated for Oscar award
- Indian Actress Priyanka Chopra nominated for this year’s Oscar award. Hollywood celebrities Rosario Dawson, Michelle Rodriguez and Rebel Wilson will also be part of the announcement of the nominations.
- Last year, Priyanka had presented the award for Best Film Editing at the Oscars.
Malta’s capital Valletta named European Capital of Culture:
- Valletta, the capital of Malta, was officially named European Capital of Culture 2018 in a ceremony. Valletta will share the title with Leeuwarden, a city in the Netherlands.
- Notably, the ‘European Capitals of Culture’ initiative aims to highlight the diversity of European culture and to increase the citizens’ sense of belonging to a common cultural area.
|Malta Prime Minister
Current Affairs Today: SCIENCE
US startup launches Electron rocket into orbit for 1st time:
- US commercial startup Rocket Lab has launched its Electron rocket into orbit and deployed three satellites for the first time.
- The Electron can carry up to about 226 kilograms of payload and the startup offers a mission for about $5 million.
- Rocket Lab has also signed contracts with NASA and Seattle-based Spaceflight for small-satellite launches.
|Rocket Lab Headquarters
||California, United States
|Rocket Lab CEO
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
Harmanpreet inks bat endorsement deal with CEAT:
- Harmanpreet Kaur, who guided India to the final of the ICC World Cup 2017, became the first woman cricketer from the country to sign a bat endorsement deal with CEAT.
- Harmanpreet, who signed a two-year deal with CEAT, joins the likes of Rohit Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane and Ishan Kishan.
- She will now be seen playing with a bat prominently displaying CEAT insignia in all formats of the game.
Martina Hingis appointed Switzerland Fed Cup team coach:
- Former World Number 1 Martina Hingis, who retired from tennis in November, will join the Swiss Fed Cup team as their coach for the World Group first round tie against Czech Republic in Prague this February.
- Hingis, who made 19 appearances for the Swiss national team between 1995 and 2017, will join team captain Heinz Günthardt, who has chosen Timea Bacsinszky, Belinda Bencic, Viktorija Golubic and Jil Teichmann as the four players to represent the Swiss Tennis Federation team.
- The Swiss Tennis Federation has also claimed for a compensation to Rebeka Masarova, who won 2016 Roland Garros junior title.
Current Affairs Today: OBITUARY
Architect Hasmukh Patel passes away:
- Ahmedabad-based architect and urban planner Hasmukh Patel, known for popularising the phrase “common sense architecture” passed away. He was 84.
- Patel started his practice in 1956 in Ahmedabad. Some of his most famous buildings include the St Xavier’s Primary School, State Bank of India, Dena Bank, Reserve Bank of India, Newman Hall, Bhaikaka Bhavan, Shyamal Row Houses and Patang restaurant.
- Patel’s legacy consists of more than 300 projects, spanning all building typologies, largely in Gujarat, over four decades.