Current Affairs 26th January 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: IMPORTANT DAY
Indian Republic Day:
- Republic Day honours the date on which the Constitution of India came into effect on 26 January 1950 replacing the Government of India Act (1935) as the governing document of India.
- The Constitution was adopted by the Indian Constituent Assembly on 26 November 1949, and came into effect on 26 January 1950 with a democratic government system, completing the country’s transition towards becoming an independent republic.
- 26 January was chosen as the Republic day because it was on this day in 1930 when Declaration of Indian Independence (Purna Swaraj) was proclaimed by the Indian National Congress as opposed to the Dominion status offered by British Regime.
International Customs Day:
- International Customs Day, well known as the ICD, is celebrated by the custom organizations every year on 26th of January.
- It is celebrated to commemorate the very first official conference of the Customs Co-operation Council means the World Customs Organization, WCO.
- World Customs Organization, having over 177 custom administration members, is called as the only intergovernmental organization which solely highlights on the customs matters.
- World Customs Organization was established in the year 1952 as an autonomous body to enhance the efficacy and effectiveness of the customs administrations all across the world.
|Theme 2018||A secure business environment for economic development|
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
10 ASEAN leaders attend R-Day parade as chief guests in:
- Unprecedented in India’s history, leaders of all 10 ASEAN countries attended the Republic Day parade at the majestic Rajpath which showcased the country’s military prowess and rich cultural diversity.
- This is for the first time ten heads of state attended the annual celebrations as chief guests, and the gathering of the leaders of the powerful grouping was being seen as reflective of India’s growing stature as a major power in the region where China has been trying to increase its strategic clout.
|The 10 ASEAN leaders||1) Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong,
2) Vietnamese Premier Nguyen Xuan Phuc,
3) Myanmar’s State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi,
4) Indonesian President Joko Widodo,
5) Thailand Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha,
6) Philippines President Rodrigo Roa Duterte,
7) Lao PDR’s Premier Thongloun Sisoulith,
8) Malaysian Prime Minister Nazib Razak,
9) Brunei Darussalam’s Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah and
10) Cambodian Premier Hun Sen
Uber to launch bike service in Amritsar and Kanpur:
- Ride-hailing startup Uber is planning to launch its bike service UberMOTO in Amritsar and Kanpur this weekend with cab services yet to be introduced in the cities.
- This comes after Uber dismissed reports of exit from India and assured 100% commitment.
- Currently Uber provides cabs, autorickshaws, outstation, and carpooling services in 29 Indian cities while bike services exist in nine.
Current Affairs Today: STATE
Telangana’s first infertility centre in public health sector opened:
- Health Minister C. Laxma Reddy inaugurated the State’s first infertility centre in public sector at Gandhi Hospital.
- The centre started functioning by providing intrauterine insemination for couples where male is infertile either due to low sperm court or poor sperm motility.
|Telangana Chief Minister||K Chandrasekhar Rao|
|Telangana Governor||E.S Lakshmi Narasimhan|
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
Government collects Rs 86,703 crore under GST in December:
- Government has collected 86,703 crore rupees under GST in the last month.
- One crore taxpayers have been registered under GST so far. Of them over 17 lakh are Composition Dealers which are required to file returns every quarter.
- Over 56 lakh GSTR 3B returns have been filed for the month of December till January 25, 2018.
- A total of over 8 lakh returns were filed by Composition Dealers for the July-September, quarter, paying a total of around 336 crore rupees as GST.
- 25 lakh returns were filed by Composition Dealers, paying a sum of over 421 crore rupees during October- December quarter.
Current Affairs Today: APPOINTMENTS
Usha Ananthasubramanian is first woman IBA chief:
- Usha Ananthasubramanian, MD and CEO, Allahabad Bank, has been elected the first woman chairman of Indian Banks’ Association (IBA).
- Usha was elected IBA Chairman for the year 2017-18 by its Managing Committee.
- IBA Chairman’s position fell vacant following the superannuation of Jatinder Bir Singh, who was Chairman and Managing Director of Punjab & Sind Bank, on December 31, 2017.
- Rajnish Kumar, Chairman, State Bank of India, was elected Deputy Chairman of IBA for the year 2017-18.
- IBA is the banking sector’s industry body, whose objective, among others, is to promote and develop sound and progressive banking principles, practices and conventions and to contribute to the developments of creative banking in the country.
Current Affairs Today: AWARDS
Padma Awards 2018 announced:
- The President has approved the awards for 85 individuals, which includes 3 Padma Vibhushan, 9 Padma Bhushan and 73 Padma Shri.
- Fourteen of the awardees are women and 3 persons have been awarded posthumously.
- Prominent citizens from each of the 10 ASEAN member countries are among the 16 foreigners named for the Award.
|Padma Vibhushan Awardees||1) Illaiyaraja – Art-Music
2) Ghulam Mustafa Khan – Art-Music
3) P Parameswaran- Literature and Education
|Padma Bhushan Awardees||1) Pankaj Advani – Sports-Billiards/Snooker
2) Philipose Mar Chrysostom – Others-Spiritualism
3) Mahendra Singh Dhoni – Sports-Cricket
4) Alexander Kadakin (Foreigner/Posthumous) – Public affairs
5) Ramachandran Nagaswamy – Others-Archaeology
6) Ved Prakash Nanda (OCI) – Literature and Education
7) Laxman Pai – Art-Painting
8) Arvind Parikh – Art-Music
9) Sharda Sinha – Art-Music
|Padma Shri Awardees||1) Anwar Jalalpuri (Posthumous) – Literature and Education (Literature – Urdu)
2) Sitavva Joddati – Social Work
3) Manas Bihari Verma – Science & Engineering (Defence)
4) Abhay Bang (Duo) – Medicine, Rani Bang (Duo) – Medicine
5) Damodar Ganesh Bapat – Social Work
6) Prafulla Govinda Baruah – Literature and Education-Journalism
7) Mohan Swaroop Bhatia – Art-Folk Music
8) Sudhanshu Biswas – Social Work
9) Saikhom Mirabai Chanu – Sports-Weightlifting
10) Pandit Shyamlal Chaturvedi – Literature and Education-Journalism
11) Jose Ma Joey Concepcion III (Foreigner) – Trade & Industry
12) Langpoklakpam Subadani Devi – Art-Weaving
13) Somdev Devvarman – Sports-Tennis
14) Yeshi Dhoden – Medicine
15) Arup Kumar Dutta – Literature and Education
16) Doddarange Gowda – Art-Lyrics
17) Arvind Gupta – Literature and Education
18) Digamber Hansda – Literature and Education
19) Ramli Bin Ibrahim (Foreigner) – Art-Dance
20) Piyong Temjen Jamir – Literature and Education
21) Malti Joshi – Literature and Education
22) Manoj Joshi – Art-Acting
23) Rameshwarlal Kabra – Trade & Industry
24) Pran Kishore Kaul – Art
25) Bounlap Keokangna (Foreigner) – Others-Architecture
26) Vijay Kichlu – Art-Music
27) Tommy Koh (Foreigner) – Public Affairs
28) Lakshmikutty – Medicine-Traditional
29) Joyshree Goswami Mahanta – Literature and Education
30) Narayan Das Maharaj – Others-Spiritualism
31) Pravakara Maharana – Art-Sculpture
32) Hun Many (Foreigner) – Public Affairs
33) Nouf Marwaai (Foreigner) – Others- Yoga
34) Zaverilal Mehta – Literature and Education-Journalism
35) Krishna Bihari Mishra – Literature and Education
36) Sisir Purushottam Mishra – Art-Cinema
37) Subhasini Mistry – Social Work
38) Tomio Mizokami (Foreigner) – Literature and Education
39) Somdet Phra Maha Muniwong (Foreigner) – Others-Spiritualism
40) Keshav Rao Musalgaonkar – Literature and Education
41) Thant Myint – U (Foreigner) – Public Affairs
42) V Nanammal – Others-Yoga
43) Sulagitti Narasamma – Social Work
44) Vijayalakshmi Navaneethakrishnan – Art-Folk Music
45) I Nyoman Nuarta (Foreigner) – Art-Sculpture
46) Malai Haji Abdullah Bin Malai Haji Othman (Foreigner) – Social Work
47) Gobaradhan Panika – Art-Weaving
48) Bhabani Charan Pattanaik – Public Affairs
49) Murlikant Petkar – Sports-Swimming
50) Habibullo Rajabov (Foreigner) – Literature and Education
51) M R Rajagopal – Medicine-Palliative Care
52) Sampat Ramteke (Posthumous) – Social Work
53) Chandra Sekhar Rath – Literature and Education
54) S S Rathore – Civil Service
55) Amitava Roy – Science and Engineering
56) Sanduk Ruit (Foreigner) – Medicine-Ophthalmology
57) R Sathyanarayana – Art-Music
58) Pankaj M Shah – Medicine-Oncology
59) Bhajju Shyam – Art-Painting
60) Maharao Raghuveer Singh – Literature and Education
61) Kidambi Srikanth – Sports-Badminton
62) Ibrahim Sutar – Art-Music
63) Siddeshwara Swamiji – Others-Spiritualism
64) Lentina Ao Thakkar – Social Work
65) Vikram Chandra Thakur – Science and Engineering
66) Rudrapatnam Narayanaswamy Tharanathan (Duo) – Art-Music, Rudrapatnam Narayanaswamy Thyagarajan (Duo) – Art-Music
67) Nguyen Tien Thien (Foreigner) – Others-Spiritualism
68) Bhagirath Prasad Tripathi – Literature and Education
69) Rajagopalan Vasudevan – Science and Engineering
70) Panatawane Gangadhar Vithobaji – Literature and Education
71) Romulus Whitaker – Others-Wildlife Conservation
72) Baba Yogendra – Art
73) A Zakia – Literature and Education
JP Nirala 1st IAF commando to get Ashoka Chakra for ground combat:
- Martyred Indian Air Force Garud Commando Jyoti Prakash Nirala has been posthumously awarded the Ashoka Chakra on the 69th Republic Day, becoming the first-ever airman to receive the honour for a ground combat operation.
- He has been honoured for his role in last year’s counter-terrorist operation in Jammu and Kashmir, where he killed two Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists despite being shot thrice.
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
Timea Babos, Kristina Mladenovic win women’s doubles title in Australian Open 2018:
- Hungarian Timea Babos and France’s Kristina Mladenovic defeated Russian duo Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina 6-4 6-3 to win the women’s doubles title at the Australian Open.
- Babos and Mladenovic claimed their first grand slam title as a partnership, denying the Olympic champion Russians a sweep of grand slam doubles crowns at Rod Laver Arena.
- The win was Mladenovic’s second major women’s doubles title after she won the 2016 French Open crown with compatriot Caroline Garcia.
Current Affairs Today: OBITUARY
Veteran Bengali film actress Supriya Devi passes away:
- Veteran Bengali film actress Supriya Devi passed away in Kolkata, She was 85.
- Born in 1933, Supriya Devi was known for her work over five decades. She had made her debut in Uttam Kumar-starer ‘Basu Parivar’ in 1952 and never looked back after ‘Sonar Harin’ opposite Uttam Kumar in 1959.
- ‘Chowringhee’, ‘Bagh Bandi Khela’ and ‘Meghe Dhaka Tara’ were among her classics. She received the Padma Shri and West Bengal government’s highest civilian award Banga Vibhushan, besides the Filmfare East Lifetime Achievement Award.
/ 5. Reviews