Current Affairs 28th January 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: IMPORTANT DAY
National immunization Day:
- National immunization days (NIDs) are nationwide mass campaigns to deliver supplemental doses of oral poliovirus vaccine to interrupt the circulation of wild polioviruses.
- They constitute one of the critical strategies for global poliomyelitis eradication and should be implemented in all countries with widespread poliovirus transmission.
Data Privacy Day:
- Data Privacy Day (known in Europe as Data Protection Day) is observed on every 28 January.
- The purpose of Data Privacy Day is to raise awareness and promote privacy and data protection best practices. It is currently observed in the United States, Canada, India and 47 European countries.
- Data Privacy Day’s educational initiative originally focused on raising awareness among businesses as well as users about the importance of protecting the privacy of their personal information online, particularly in the context of social networking.
World Leprosy Day:
- World Leprosy Day is observed internationally on January 30 or its nearest Sunday to increase the public awareness of the Leprosy or Hansen’s Disease.
- This day was chosen in commemoration of the death of Gandhi, the leader of India who understood the importance of leprosy.
- Leprosy is one of the oldest recorded diseases in the world. It is an infectious chronic disease that targets the nervous system, especially the nerves in the cooler parts of the body – the hands, feet, and face.
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
Prime Minister Narendra Modi to visit Palestine, UAE and Oman in February:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit Palestine, UAE and Oman from the 9th to the 12th of next month.
- It will be the first-ever visit by an Indian Prime Minister to Palestine. During the visit, Mr Modi will hold discussions with the leaders of the three countries on matters of mutual interest.
- He will also address the Sixth World Government Summit in Dubai at which India has been extended a Guest of Honour status.
- He will also meet the Indian community in UAE and Oman.
|Palestine Currency||Israeli new Shekel, Egyptian Pound, Jordanian Dinar|
|Palestine President||Mahmoud Abbas|
|UAE Capital||Abu Dhabi|
|UAE Currency||United Arab Emirates dirham|
|UAE President||Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan|
|Oman Currency||Omani Rial|
|Oman Sultan||Qaboos bin Said al Said|
First ever ‘Khaadi Haat’ inaugurated in Delhi:
- Marking the 69th Republic Day celebrations, Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) and New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) have launched the first ever ‘Khadi Haat’ in the country.
- The Khadi Haat, was inaugurated on January 25 by Union Minister of State Giriraj Singh in Connaught Place in presence of New Delhi Lok Sabha MP Meenakshi Lekhi, KVIC Chairman V K Saxena, NDMC Chairman Naresh Kumar and noted fashion designer Ritu Beri among others.
- Khadi has not only become the favourite fabric for one and all, it has also showcased its presence right from the sleepy hamlets to mega malls of cosmopolitan cities.
|Delhi Chief Minister||Arvind Kejriwal|
|Delhi Lieutenant Governor||Anil Baijal|
From February 9, 3-day international bird festival at Dudhwa:
- A three-day international bird festival will be held at the Dudhwa National Park here from February 9 with nearly 200 leading ornithologists expected to attend.
- The purpose behind the international bird festival is to promote eco-tourism in Dudhwa and to give it a distinct international identity besides highlighting its traditional Tharu arts, culture and heritage.
- Eminent documentary maker Mike Pandey would act as the brand ambassador of the festival. “
- A Florican village comprising 100 cottages would be set up at the Tiger Haven to accommodate 200 reputed bird experts, participating in the bird festival.
- During the three-day event, the bird experts would visit various parts of Dudhwa to gather information about the 450 bird species existing there.
Aadhaar named Hindi Word of the Year, beats Bahubali, Mitron:
- The Oxford Dictionaries announced ‘Aadhaar’ as its 2017 ‘Hindi Word of the Year’ at the Jaipur Literature Festival.
- The shortlist included words such as ‘Mitron’, ‘Notebandi’, ‘Bahubali’ and ‘Gau-rakshak’, among others.
- ‘Aadhaar’ was chosen due to its involvement in debates and controversies regarding the 12-digit unique identification system introduced by the Indian government.
Government to set up apex cybercrime coordination centre:
- Union Home Ministry is planning to set up an apex coordination centre to deal with cyber crimes such as financial frauds, circulation of communal and pornographic contents.
- The ministry has also asked states to establish a similar mechanism in every district. Government has released 83 crore rupees for setting up of a cyber forensic training laboratory-cum-training centre for police officials in each state.
- The funds were given to the Cyber Crime Prevention against Women and Children Scheme. State governments have also been asked to set up a state cybercrime coordination cell at the headquarter-level and also establish district cyber crime cells.
|Ministry of Home Affairs (Cabinet minister)||Rajnath Singh|
|Constituency||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh|
|Ministry of Home Affairs (Minister of state)||Kiren Rijiju, Hansraj Gangaram Ahir|
Government to set up social media communication hubs in districts:
- The Information and Broadcasting Ministry has planned to set up a ‘Social Media Communication Hub’ that would help it keep a tab on trending news in districts and gather feedback on the Centre’s flagship schemes.
- Under the project media persons would be employed on contractual basis in each district to be the eyes and ears of the government and provide real-time updates from the ground.
- They would also take the people’s feedback on the government’s policies and follow the news trending in their areas. Experts would also be employed at the central level to analyse the feedback.
- The Broadcast Engineering Consultants India Limited (BECIL), a Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) under the ministry, had floated a tender to supply a software for the project.
|Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (Cabinet Minister)||Smriti Irani|
|Member of Rajya Sabha||Gujarat|
|Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (Minister of State)||Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore|
Acid attack victims to get quota in central government jobs:
- People with autism, mental illnesses, intellectual disability and victims of acid attacks will now get quota in central government jobs.
- The Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) recently wrote to all central government departments to ensure that one percent of each post be reserved for people with blindness and low vision; deaf and hard of hearing; locomotor disability including cerebral palsy, leprosy cured, dwarfism, acid attack victims and muscular dystrophy.
- In case of direct recruitment, four percent of the total number of vacancies, up from the existing three percent, in groups A, B and C shall be reserved for people with benchmark disabilities.
- Benchmark disability means a person with not less than forty percent of a specified disability.
Current Affairs Today: BOOKS and AUTHORS
Naveen releases book on Biju Patnaik:
- Former Odisha Chief Minister Biju Patnaik’s birth centenary was celebrated in Bhubaneswar by his son and current CM Naveen Patnaik, along with several top political leaders cutting across party lines.
- Naveen released a book on his father — The Tall Man Biju Patnaik — written by Sundar Ganesan, who said his material on Biju Patnaik “was found scattered all over the world in countries like Indonesia, France, Germany, USA, Russia, Singapore, and other places”.
Current Affairs Today: AWARDS
Asha Bhosle to receive Yash Chopra Memorial Award:
- Legendary playback singer Asha Bhosle will be conferred with Yash Chopra Memorial Award for her outstanding contribution to the Hindi film industry.
- Bhosle, 84, whose illustrious music career spans nearly seven decades and recorded over 11,000 songs in 20 different languages, has been a selected for the award instituted in the memory of the filmmaker.
- The award jury members comprising Chopra’s wife Pamela Chopra, filmmakers Boney Kapoor, Madhur Bhandarkar, singer Alka Yagnik, actor Padmini Kohlapure, scriptwriter Honey Irani, and Anu and Shashi Ranjan made the announcement.
- The award has been instituted by MP T Subbarami Reddy in the memory of Chopra, who died in 2012, in association with Anu Ranjan and Shashi Ranjan. The award also carries a cash prize of Rs 10 lakh.
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
Saina loses to world number 1, finishes 2nd at Indonesia Masters:
- Saina Nehwal was beaten by current world number one Tai Tzu Ying 21-9, 21-13 to finish as the runner-up at the Indonesia Masters.
- This was Saina’s first appearance in an international competition’s final since her title triumph at Malaysia Masters in January last year.
- Saina had defeated India’s top-ranked player PV Sindhu on her way to the final.
Roger Federer beats Marin Cilic in five sets to win 20th Grand Slam title:
- Roger Federer took his already superb tally of Grand Slam titles from 19 to 20 when he beat Marin Cilic in a pulsating five setter that saw both players stretched and work hard.
- Federer beat Cilic 6-2, 6-7, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 to successfully defend his Australian Open crown. Cilic, on the other hand, remained on one Grand Slam titles and suffered a second successive final defeat to Federer.
- They had met last at Wimbledon last year but that final was affected with an injury ailment for Cilic.
- The title takes Federer’s Australian Open tally to six and joins him with Margaret Court, Serena Williams and Steffi Graf as the only players to have 20 or more major singles titles.
Paes wins 25th Challenger doubles title at Newport Beach:
- Veteran Indian tennis star Leander Paes won his 25th ATP Challenger level doubles title with partner James Cerretani after beating Denis Kudla and Treat Huey in the final of the Newport Beach event.
- The second-seeded Indo-American pair defeated the American-Filipino combine 6-4 7-5 in the summit clash of the USD 150,000 hard court tournament.
- Paes, world No 61, has won crucial 125 points with this win as he is striving to move up the rankings ladder.
Rohan Bopanna, Timea Babos go down in Australian Open mixed doubles final:
- Rohan Bopanna and his Hungarian partner Timea Babos have lost the Australian Open mixed doubles to Croat-Canadian pair Mate Pavic and Gabriela Dabrowski in Melbourne.
- The fifth-seeded Bopanna and Babos lost in a closely fought match 6-2, 4-6, 9-11 to eighth, seeded Croat-Canadian pair, which lasted one hour and eight minutes.
- It was Pavic’s third career Grand Slam title having also won the US Open mixed doubles in 2016, while Bopanna had won his maiden Grand Slam crown at the 2017 French Open with Canadian Dabrowski.
India win third test against South Africa by 63 runs:
- India have won the third and final cricket Test against South Africa by 63 runs after bundling out the hosts for 177 in their second innings on the fourth day at Johannesburg.
- In a dramatic turnaround, South African lost their last eight wickets for 53 runs as India remained unbeaten at Wanderers. Chasing 241, South Africa were placed comfortably at 124 for two at one stage but their innings folded for 177 following a dramatic collapse.
- Dean Elgar remained unbeaten at 86. Mohammed Shami claimed five wickets, Jasprit Bumrah and Ishant Sharma bagged two each and Bhuvneshwar Kumar one Bhuvneshwar Kumar was declared player of the Match and Vernon Philander player of the Series.
Current Affairs Today: OBITUARY
Kannada actor Chandrashekar passes away:
- Noted Kannada actor Chandrashekhar passed away in Canada. He was 63.
- The actor had recently returned to Canada, where he currently resides. Chandrashekar rose to fame for his role in ‘Edakallu Guddada Mele’, directed by Puttanna Kanagal.
- He has acted in over 40 films, the last of which was ‘3 ghante, 30 dina, 30 secondu’.
Pioneer of India’s Green Revolution Dr Gurcharan Singh Kalkat passes away:
- The former agriculture commissioner of India and Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan awardee Dr Gurcharan Singh Kalkat passed away. He was 92.
- The founding chairman of Punjab State Farmers Commission, it was under Kalkat’s leadership as the director of agriculture, Punjab, and later as the agriculture commissioner of India, that the country witnessed ‘Green Revolution’ and India became self-sufficient in food grain production.
- He was also the former vice-chancellor of Punjab Agricultural University (Ludhiana) from 1988-2001.
- Known for his contribution during the Green Revolution era which led to a boom in the production of wheat and rice in the country, with Punjab leading the chart, not many know that Kalkat’s plans for the farmers of the state went beyond that.
- He was the one who even ushered a soybean revolution and also introduced banana cultivation for Punjab.
/ 5. Reviews