Current Affairs 29th January 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
Maharashtra wins best tableau at Republic Day:
- Maharashtra won the award for the best tableau at the 69th Republic Day parade in New Delhi.
- The tableau was on the coronation ceremony of Maratha ruler Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, and was created by art director Nitin Desai and his team.
- The second and third positions were won by Assam and Chhattisgarh respectively.
|Maharashtra Chief Minister
||C. Vidyasagar Rao
Sports Ministry’s Republic Day tableau adjudged best among ministries:
- The tableau of Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports was adjudged the best tableau among all the ministries which participated in the Republic Day parade.
- The theme of the tableau was ‘Khelo India’. The float displayed a small team showcasing the ‘malkhamb’ with a couple of boxers sparring in a ring.
|Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (Minister of state independent charge)
||Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore
||Jaipur Rural, Rajasthan
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Haryana Chief Minsiter announces free travel for Kashi pilgrims:
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar has announced that the state government will provide free travel facility to pilgrims from Haryana to Uttar Pradesh’s Kashi.
- The facility will be provided on first-come, first-served basis in Indian railways from next year, (2019).
- The facility will be available for the first 5,000 people.
|Haryana Chief Minister
||Manohar Lal Khattar
||Kaptan Singh Solanki
Delhi to get its first ever Haj house in 2019:
- The Delhi government has prepared the building layout for the city’s first ever Haj house which will be open to public from mid-2019.
- Located in Dwarka Sector 22, the centrally air-conditioned Haj house will have state-of-the-art facilities, including prayer halls and VIP suites.
- The ₹93.47-crore house will have the capacity to accommodate around 350 pilgrims at a time.
|Delhi Chief Minister
|Delhi Lieutenant Governor
Himachal Launches ‘Shakti’ App For Women:
- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur launched the ‘Shakti’ app for the safety of women in the state.
- The application has a panic button which was developed by the National Informatics Centre (NIC) of the Himachal Pradesh government.
|Himachal Pradesh Capital
||Jai Ram Thakur
||Acharya Dev Vrat
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Finland re-elects Sauli Niinisto as its President:
- Finland’s moderate President Sauli Niinisto cruised to a rare first round election win as his delicate balancing of ties with neighbour Russia and the U.S.-led NATO military alliance resonated with voters.
- The 69-year-old Mr. Niinisto, known for cultivating good relations with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, won his second six-year term with an overwhelming 62.7% of the vote.
- His closest rival, Pekka Haavisto of the Greens of Finland, secured just 12.4% votes.
|Finland Prime Minister
Sauli Niinisto take charge as the President of Finland:
- Sauli Niinisto has become the President of Finland for the second consecutive term.
- The 69-year-old Mr. Niinisto, known for cultivating good relations with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, won his second six-year term with an overwhelming 62.7% of the vote
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
India’s GDP growth to be 7-7.5% in 2018-19: Economic Survey
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley tabled the Economic Survey 2017-18 in the Parliament, which predicts India’s GDP growth at 7-7.5% in 2018-19.
- Major reforms over the past year will allow growth to reach 6.75% this fiscal.
- The survey added that retail inflation during 2017-18 averaged to the lowest in the last 6 years at 3.3%.
- The survey underlines the role of the newly introduced Goods and Services Tax (GST), the new Indian Bankruptcy Code, the implementation of the recapitalization package to strengthen the public sector banks, further liberalization of FDI and the export uplift from the global recovery, in contributing to the economic growth this year.
EXIM Bank raises $1 billion via overseas bonds:
- EXIM Bank has raised $1 billion through overseas bonds that will get listed at London Stock Exchange’s international securities market (ISM).
- The ten year dollar bonds — issued as part of Global Medium Term Note programme — have a 3.897 percent annual yield.
- The notes achieved the tightest ever spread over US Treasury for an Indian entity for a ten year issuance.
- The proceeds raised will be used by EXIM Bank to support Indian project exports; overseas investment by way of long term credit and it’s lines of credit portfolio.
- London Stock Exchange is honoured to welcome Exim Bank of India’s inaugural bond on ISM.
|EXIM Bank Headquarters
|EXIM Bank MD and CEO
HDFC Bank customers can get their queries answered using Google Assistant:
- HDFC Bank customers can get their queries answered using Google Assistant.
- All you need to say is “Ok Google, talk to HDFC Bank”, and you’ll be connected to the bank’s AI Chatbox ‘Eva’.
- The feature launched in December last year is now up and running. HDFC Bank’s Artificial Intelligence (AI)-based chatbot ‘Eva’ is working with Google Assistant on millions of Android devices.
- ‘Eva’ — built for HDFC Bank by Bengaluru-based Senseforth AI Research — claims to have answered more than five million user queries with more than 85% accuracy.
- ‘Eva’ currently handles over 50,000 semantic variations for thousands of banking related intents, tracks, and analyses everyday customer issues and gains a deeper understanding of their behavior patterns.
|HDFC Bank Headquarters
|HDFC Bank Tagline
|HDFC Bank MD and CEO
||We understand your world
Axis Bank launches 4th edition of “Evolve”:
- Private sector Axis Bank today launched the fourth edition of ‘Evolve’, an annual multi-city knowledge series for Bank’s SME customers.
- The current edition of evolve, titled “Transform your Family Business into your dream company”, will empower the SMEs understand the winning strategies and best practises that have helped some of the leading family businesses in India grow into reputable enterprise.
- This edition will span across 30 cities including Nagpur, Surat, Rajkot, Pune, Vishakhapatnam, Trichy, Kanpur, Ludhiana and Jamshedpur.
|Axis Bank Head quarters
|Axis Bank Tagline
||Badhti Ka naam Zindagi
|Axis Bank MD and CEO
Western Union opens technology centre in Pune:
- Western Union had opened a technology centre in Pune to work on robotics, machine learning, predictive learning and biometrics.
- The new centre, which is 125,000 square feet, will employ 1000 skilled people and will serve as the remittance payment company’s innovation and engineering hub in the region.
- The company’s other technology centres are in Denver, Montvale and San Francisco.
Current Affairs Today: APPOINTMENTS
Vijay Keshav Gokhale takes charge as Foreign Secretary:
- Vijay Keshav Gokhale assumed charge as the new foreign secretary for a two-year term.
- He succeeded former foreign secretary S Jaishankar who completed his term of three-years, including one extended year.
- Gokhale, who joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1981, played a major role in resolving the 73-day-long Doklam standoff between India and China last year.
Current Affairs Today: AWARDS
Documentary on Kailash Satyarthi wins top prize at Sundance Film Festival:
- A film on the life of Nobel laureate Kailash Satyarthi has won the US Documentary Grand Jury Award at the Sundance Film Festival.
- The documentary, titled “Kailash” and directed by debutante Derek Doneen, traces Satyarthi’s journey and his efforts to eliminate child trafficking and child labour.
- The film has been produced by Davis Guggenheim and Sarah Anthony, and co-produced by Purnima Raghunath.
Postage stamp released in honour of footballer T Ao:
- Assam Governor Prof Jagdish Mukhi released a postage stamp on former India football captain Dr Talimeren Ao on his birth centenary year.
- Ao had captained the Indian team in 1948 London Olympics and played for Mohun Bagan for several years in the 1940s.
- Born on 28 January 1918 in the then Naga Hills region of Assam, Ao used to play in centre-half position. The footballer died in 1998.
|Assam Chief Minister
CURRENT AFFAIRS : SPORTS
V.Kohli overtakes Brian Lara’s Record:
- Indian captain Virat Kohli overtakes West Indies legend Brian Lara in the all-time ICC Rankings for Test ranking for Batsmen by earning 12 points from the Johannesburg Test.
- He is now on 912 points and in 26th position on the all-time list, which is headed by Don Bradman (961 points).
CURRENT AFFAIRS : OBITUARY
IKEA founder Ingvar Kamprad passes away:
- Billionaire IKEA founder Ingvar Kamprad passed away. He was 91.
- With the furniture empire he launched more than half a century ago familiar around the globe.
- Kamprad founded IKEA in 1943 when he was just 17, but didn’t hit gold until 1956, when the company pioneered flat-pack furniture.
Bengali Actress Supriya Devi Passes Away:
Bengali film actress and Padmashri award winner Supriya Devi has passed away in Kolkata at the age of 83.