Current Affairs 30th January 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
- Nation observes the death anniversary of the Father of the nation, Mahatma Gandhi as Martyrs’ Day on 30 January 2015.
- The country also observed Martyrs’ day to honour all those who gave their life for the country.
National Cleanliness Day:
- Since 2014, every year on January 30th is observed as National Cleanliness Day to commemorate the death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- This responsibility for environmental cleanliness, calls to maintain high standards of cleanliness in our homes, workplace, road/streets and public places.
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
AAI allocates nearly 3,400 crore rupees for upgradation of airports in North East region:
- The Airports Authority of India has allocated nearly 3,400 crore rupees for the upgradation of airports in the North East region.
- An amount of 1,720 crore rupees for Assam, 525 crore rupees for Tripura and 800 crore rupees for Manipur has been allocated.
- Stating that projects worth 934 crore rupees have already been completed, work on the rest will be over in the next two or three years.
|Airports Authority of India Headquarters
|Airports Authority of India Chairman
New Khadi dress for Postmen/MTS launched by Communications Minister Manoj Sinha:
- Communications Minister Manoj Sinha had unveiled a new khadi uniform for the Department of Posts personnel, including postmen and multi-tasking staff.
- The National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) had designed this new uniform.
- The new dress carries the logo of ‘India Post’ on the pocket and the cap, along with red stripes on shoulders and shoulder blade.
|Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (Minister of state (Independent charge) for Communications)
||Ghazipur, Uttar Pradesh
IT ministry tests LED-based wireless communication tech:
- IT ministry has tested LiFi, an LED-based wireless communication technology, jointly conducted with IIT-Madras and lighting company Philips India.
- LiFi, or light fidelity, aims to replace WiFi by using light to transmit internet signals with speeds up to 10 Gbps.
- The technology was reportedly being tested to cover areas that cannot be reached by the existing network.
Current Affairs Today: STATE
Pune launches free WiFi hotspots across the city:
- The Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) introduced 150 Wi-Fi hotspots in Pune city on 26 January 2018, the day India celebrated 69 years of being a Republic.
- PMC plans to make Pune an entirely digital city by 2020 and wants its citizens to be 100 percent digitally literate.
- The number of current locations is 150, and initially, the free Wi-fi will be available in and around major gardens, hospitals, and near police stations, PMC is planning to soon expand the number of Wi-Fi hotspots to 199.
|Maharashtra Chief Minister
||C. Vidyasagar Rao
Ola may tie up with Assam government for river taxi service:
- Homegrown taxi aggregator Ola may sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Assam government for a river taxi service in the state.
- They will conduct experiments to ascertain the water behaviour of Brahmaputra before beginning the service. There will also be a night navigation system in place.
|Assam Chief Minister
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
State Bank of India hikes bulk deposit rates by 50-140 bps:
- The country’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) raised interest rates on bulk deposits by 50-140 basis points.
- One basis point is one-hundredth of a percentage point. Bulk Deposit means “Rupee Term Deposits of Rs 1 crore and above”.
- The bank brought New Year’s cheer for its customers by reducing its Base Rate as well as the Benchmark Prime Lending Rate (BPLR) by 30 basis points (bps) with effect from January 01, 2018.
- The revised base rate was reduced from 8.95% to 8.65% for the bank’s existing customers, while BPLR was reduced from 13.70% to 13.40%.
- The bank had decided to extend the on-going waiver on home loan processing fees till March 31, 2018 for new customers keen on buying their dream house as well as other customers looking to switch their existing loans to SBI.
|State Bank of India Headquarters
|State Bank of India Tagline
||With you all the way ,Pure banking nothing else, The nation’s bank on us
|State Bank of India Chairman
Equitas Bank launches digital wealth management:
- Chennai-headquartered Equitas Small Finance Bank (ESFBL) announced the launch of its digital wealth management service.
- The bank has collaborated with Valuefy Solutions – a fintech start-up – to create an online platform where customers can make paperless investments in mutual funds and other products.
- With the launch, ESFBL aims to provide to its clients the facility to invest in mutual funds digitally.
|Equitas Small Finance Bank Headquarters
|Equitas Small Finance Bank (Part-time Chairman)
5 states show the way with 70% of exports, enjoy higher standard of living:
- The Economic Survey 2017-18 has brought out the sharp disparity among states on inter-state and international trade, with just five — Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Telangana — accounting for 70 per cent of India’s total exports.
- The Survey has for the first time included data on international exports of states and asserts that they indicate a strong correlation between export performance and the standard of living.
- States that export internationally and trade with other states have been found to be richer. Last year, the survey had estimated that India’s inter-state trade in goods was between 30 and 50 per cent of GDP.
- But GST data suggest that India’s internal trade in goods and services, excluding non-GST goods and services, is even higher and is about 60 per cent of GDP. The GST regime was implemented in India from July 1, 2017.
Volkswagen apologies for testing of diesel fumes on monkeys:
- Volkswagen has apologized after the Newyork times reports revealed that it funded a 2014 study that exposed monkeys to toxic diesel fumes.
- The study, which was financed equally by Volkswagen, BMW, and Daimler, was abandoned last year.
Paytm, Alibaba’s AGTech Holdings launch new mobile gaming platform:
- Mobile payments company Paytm and Alibaba Group-owned AGTech Holdings Ltd have formed a joint venture to launch Gamepind, a gaming platform aimed at mobile users in India.
- Gamepind will offer a host of popular social, casual and sports games with an exclusive rewards programme.
- The platform will be available as a standalone app and in the Paytm app. In addition, the platform will offer cash coupons and products, which will serve as a marketing and promotional platform for merchants to engage with mobile shoppers and gamers.
||Vijay Shekhar Sharma
|AGTech Holdings Headquarters
Current Affairs Today: APPOINTMENTS
Indian-American Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen to lead USISPF Board:
- Indian-American Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen has been elected as the Vice Chairman of the US-India Strategic and Partnership Forum, a new organisation set up to enhance business relations between India and the US.
- The new representative body – US-India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF) was set up to promote bilateral trade and work on creating meaningful opportunities that have the power to change the lives of citizens.
- Former CIA Director Gen (rtd) David Petraeus has joined as a new advisor, Ajay Singh, chairman and managing director of Spice Jet Limited and John Kern, senior vice president of Supply Chain Operations at Cisco, have joined the Washington-based advocacy group as its new members.
- The USISPF now has 31 board members.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS
Govt announces five Outstanding Parliamentarian Awards:
- The Indian Parliamentary Group has announced five Outstanding Parliamentarian Awards for five consecutive years from 2013.
- The awards are listed below:
||Manipur Governor Najma A Heptulla
||BJP’s Lok Sabha member Hukumdev Narayan Yadav
||Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad
||Trinamool Congress’ Dinesh Trivedi
Current Affairs Today: AWARDS
Two Indian-American innovation pioneers inducted into Inventors Hall of Fame:
- Two Indian-American innovation pioneers — Arogyaswami Paulraj for his MIMO wireless technology and Sumita Mitra for her nanocomposite dental materials — have been inducted into the prestigious National Inventors Hall of Fame this year.
- Paulraj and Mitra along with 13 other innovation pioneers would be formally felicitated during the innovation industry’s most highly anticipated event — “The Greatest Celebration of American Innovation” – on May 2-3 organised in partnership with the US Patent and Trademark Office.
- National Inventors Hall of Fame, releasing its list of 2018 inductees, said Paulraj’s wireless technology has revolutionised broadband wireless Internet access for billions of people worldwide.
- MIMO (Multiple-Input Multiple-Output) improves both transmission data rates and expands network coverage. It is the essential foundation for all current (Wi-Fi and 4G mobile) and future broadband wireless communications.
Mohanlal, P T Usha conferred with D Litt by Calicut University:
- Malayalam cine star Mohanlal and former sprint queen P T Usha were conferred with Honorary D.Lit degrees by the Calicut University.
- Kerala Governor Justice P Sathasivam, who is also the University Chancellor, conferred the honorary Doctorate of Literature (D.Litt) on the two personalities at a function in the university campus.
- The Governor congratulated Mohanlal and Usha “on their glorious rise to this university prestigious hall of fame” He also congratulate the Vice Chancelor, syndicate members and the university senate for their decision to confer honorary degrees.
Prakash Padukone bestowed with life time achievement award by BAI:
- Former world number one badminton player Prakash Padukone was conferred with Badminton Association of India’s (BAI) inaugural Lifetime Achievement award for his contribution to the sport.
- The 62-year-old was conferred with the award in the presence of his family, including daughter and actress Deepika Padukone, and several top badminton players from India and abroad.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
China plans to talk India to link China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) project:
China planed to discuss India’s concerns on the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), which India has opposed because it passes through Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir (PoK).
||Shahid Khaqan Abbasi
Brexit transition period to end by 2020: European Union
- The European Union General Affairs Council has adopted guidelines for Britain’s exit from the Europe as per which the transition period would end on December 31, 2020.
- This comes despite calls by British PM Theresa May for a two-year transition period until 2021.
- Britain is scheduled to leave the European Union in March 2019.
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
India Open Badminton tournament kicks off in New Delhi:
- The India Open Badminton tournament kicked off in New Delhi with the Qualification matches.
- Top Indian shuttlers, including PV Sindhu, Saina Nehwal and Kidambi Srikanth, are taking part in the 6-day event.
- In the opening round, Sindhu, who is the top seed, will take on Natalia Rohde of Denmark, while fourth-placed Saina will face another Dane, Sofie Dahl. Srikanth seeded second, will meet Lee Yiu of Hong Kong.
- HS Prannoy, B. Sai Praneeth, Parupalli Kashyap and Rituparna Das are also among the Indian shuttlers who will be seen in action in the Singles.
- All the three Doubles categories – Men’s, Women’s and Mixed – will also see the Indian participation.
David Beckham launches his football club in USA:
- Former England captain and Manchester United legend David Beckham launched his new Miami-based football club in USA’s Major League Soccer (MLS) championship.
- The name, logo and debut season of the new club will be announced later.
- The former Real Madrid star had joined MLS’ LA Galaxy in 2007, where he played till 2012.
IOA Joint Secretary Vikram Singh Sisodia named Chef-de-Mission for CWG:
- The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) appointed its joint secretary Vikram Singh Sisodia as the Chef-de-Mission for the upcoming Commonwealth Games to be held in Gold Coast, Australia.
- The IOA also appointed three team managers to accompany Sisodia and help him in the day-to-day duties during the Games.
- The three team managers are Modern Pentathlon Federation of India General Secretary Namdev Shirgaonkar, Asian Sailing Federation official Ajay Naarang and Andeman and Nicobar Olympic Association Secretary General V A Shiyad.
India thrashes Pakistan by 203 runs to enter U-19 World Cup final:
- India thrashed Pakistan by 203 runs to enter ICC Under-19 World Cup final.
- India’s Shubman Gill became the first player to score a century in an India-Pakistan Under-19 WC match and first to hit six straight 50-plus scores in Youth ODIs.
- Previously, India claimed two 10-wicket wins and two wins by 100 runs or more in the tournament.
Daredevils name James Hopes as new bowling coach:
- Delhi Daredevils appointed former Australia all-rounder James Hopes as their new bowling coach ahead of the upcoming season of Indian Premier League.
- Delhi Daredevils CEO Hemant Dua confirmed that while Hopes has been appointed as the new bowling coach, ex-Assam and Railways cricketer Subhadeep Ghosh will take over as the fielding coach.
- The duo will now join the staff led by head coach and former Australian captain Ricky Ponting.
- The rest of the coaching staff, however, will continue to be the same with former cricketers Pravin Amre and Sridharan Sriram as assistant coaches.
Current Affairs Today: OBITUARY
BJP MP Chintaman Wanaga passes away:
- Senior BJP MP from Maharashtra Chintaman Wanaga passed away. He was 67.
- Wanaga, who was born on June 1, 1950, was elected to the Lok Sabha from Palghar in Maharashtra.
- He was a member of the 11th and the 13th Lok Sabha as well. An advocate by profession, he was the Thane district president of the BJP.
- He was a member of the parliamentary standing committee on rural development and the committee on welfare of SCs and STs.
CEC LAHDC of Leh region Sonam Dawa passes away:
- Chief Executive Councilor of Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council of Leh Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir Dr Sonam Dawa Lonpo passed away.
- He was elected to the chief executive councillor in 2015. Ladakh Buddhist Association has appealed to Business establishments to observe Ladakh Bandh today to mourn the sudden demise of chief executive councillor of local government.
Renowned Sri Lankan filmmaker Dharmasena Pathiraja passes away:
- Renowned Sri Lankan filmmaker Dharmasena Pathiraja, fondly referred to as ‘a rebel with a cause’ and acclaimed for his compelling portrayals of urban underclasses, passed away in Kandy. He was 74.
- Hailing from Kandy in Sri Lanka’s Central Province, the filmmaker is credited with making a critical intervention in Sinhala cinema, with themes that served as social commentaries on the prevailing socio-economic and political realities.
- He also taught film studies in various Sri Lankan universities.