Current Affairs 7th January 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
Indian Railways to equip all 8,500 stations with Wi-Fi:
- All railway stations nearly 8,500 across the country, including those in rural and remote areas will be equipped with Wi-Fi facilities at an estimated cost of Rs 700 crore ($110 million).
- As part of the government’s ambitious Digital India initiative, the national transporter has currently commissioned Wi-Fi services at 216 major stations enabling about seven million rail passengers to log on to the free Internet facility.
|Ministry of Railways (Cabinet minister)
|Member of Rajya Sabha
|Ministry of Railways (Minister of state)
||Manoj Sinha, Rajen Gohain
Railways slashes back service charge on e-payment of ticket booking:
- The Indian Railways has dropped service charges levied on online bookings through its website till March 31, 2018.
- The service charge levied on train bookings through debit or credit card transactions has also been rolled back.
- Passengers will now be able to book train tickets on their mobile phones wherein they can make the payment through debit or credit cards, net banking or e-wallets, among other modes.
- The Railways has taken a few other measures to ease the ticketing process. The Railways is also going to give a 0.5 per cent discount on the total fare of the season ticket if the passenger pays completes the transaction using e-payment methods.
Three Ministries join hands for a technology mission for railways:
- Three Central Ministries have come together to drive a technology mission for Indian Railways, which would be beneficial for both the national transporter and academic and research institutions.
- A memorandum of understanding (MoU) on Technology Mission for Indian Railways (TMIR) was signed by the Ministries of Railways, Human Resource Development (HRD), and Science and Technology.
- The agreement will “facilitate collaboration and cooperation” between the Ministries.
- While the Indian Railways would get the world class technologies, academic and research institutions would get involved in numerous applied research projects which would help them in reorienting research towards national objectives.
- This MoU will facilitate the co-financing of Technology Mission for Indian Railways by investment sharing for identified railway projects for applied research.
|Ministry of Human Resource Development (Cabinet minister)
|Member of Rajya Sabha
|Ministry of Human Resource Development (Minister of state)
||Upendra Kushwaha, Mahendra Nath Pandey
|Ministry of Science and Technology (Cabinet minister)
|Ministry of Science and Technology (Minister of state)
||Y. S. Chowdary
Uber re-launches auto rickshaw service in India:
- Uber is re-launching its ‘Auto’ service in India, almost two years after shutting down the offering in March 2016.
- The service, which will be available initially in Bengaluru and Pune starting this month, will allow booking auto-rickshaw rides through ‘AUTO’ option on its app.
Current Affairs Today: STATE
Jammu and Kashmir government to provide socio-economic security to workers of unorganized sector:
- The Jammu and Kashmir government is set to launch a scheme called “Muhafiz (Guardian)” so as to provide them institutionalized socio-economic security.
- Around three lakh workers registered with Jammu and Kashmir Building and Other Construction Workers Welfare Board (JKBOCWWB) will be provided accidental, life and disability insurance, besides educational scholarships to their children under it.
- The scheme also envisages extending micro credit facility to such workers and facilitating their registration through online and other modes.
|Jammu and Kashmir Capital
|Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister
|Jammu and Kashmir Governor
||N N Vohra
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister announces ‘Gudiya’ helpline to fight crime against women:
- Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur announced setting up of 24×7 ‘Guddia’ helpline for safety of women.
- The helpline will work directly under the supervision of the Chief Minister’s Office (CMO) and action will have to follow mandatorily within 48 hours.
- The helpline with requisite infrastructure and necessary facilities would become operational soon.
- He also announced ‘Atal Helpline’ for dealing with complaints of corruption.
|Himachal Pradesh Capital
||Shimla, Dharamsala (Second Capital in Winter)
|Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister
||Jai Ram Thakur
|Himachal Pradesh Governor
||Acharya Dev Vrat
Haryana government gives power subsidy to micro, small industries:
- Haryana government announced power tariff subsidy of Rs 2 per unit for micro and small enterprises.
- The relief will be given to the industries situated in C and D category blocks in terms of industrialisation for three years from the date of release of power connection.
- As per the scheme, the power department will continue to raise and collect bill as usual.
- The individual enterprise concerned would file the subsidy claim to the industries department and on the basis of actual bill issued by the power DISCOMs concerned, the industries department will release subsidy at the rate of Rs 2 per unit consumed.
|Haryana Chief Minister
||Manohar Lal Khattar
||Kaptan Singh Solanki
International Kite festival launched in Gujarat:
- In Gujarat, a week-long international kite festival has been launched this morning at Sabarmati River Front in Ahmedabad.
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has inaugurated the colourful festival in the presence of Governor Shri O.P.Kohli.
- 149 foreign kite fliers from 44 countries are participating in this edition of international kite festival.
- More than 96 kite fliers from 18 states and 290 kite fliers of Gujarat will also take part in this week-long event.
- The international kite festival is also planned at small towns like Dakor, Gandhidham, Jamnagar, Rajkot, Surat, Vadodara, Aravali, Dwarka, Amreli, Palanpur, Pavagadh, Valsad and Saputara.
|Gujarat Chief Minister
||Om Prakash Kohli
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar flags off projects worth over Rs 500 crore:
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar inaugurated and laid foundation stones of around 750 projects, worth over 550 crore rupees, in Khagaria and Begusarai districts of the state.
- As part of his ‘Vikas Samiksha Yatra’, Nitish Kumar began the day with a tour of Gauchhari Kataha village in Khagaria, where he flagged off 294 projects worth 236 crores.
- At Barbigghi village in Begusarai, he inaugurated another 462 projects totalling around 321 crores.
|Bihar Chief Minister
||Satya Pal Malik
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
Gilles Simon wins inaugural Tata Open title:
- Gilles Simon of France has lifted the inaugural Tata Open Maharashtra Tennis trophy.
- In the summit clash at Balewadi Sports Complex in Pune, the unseeded French player humbled big-serving second seeded Kevin Anderson in straight sets 7-6, 6-2.
- Simon is ranked 89 in the world, while Anderson is ranked Fourteen.
- Simon had earlier knocked out defending champion and third seed Roberto Bautista Agut before shocking top seed and world number six Marin Cilic en route the final.
- It is the first title for Simon, since his win at Marseille in February 2015. The tournament is India’s only ATP event.
Michael Hussey appointed as batting coach of Chennai Super Kings:
- Former Australian cricketer Michael Hussey has been appointed as the new batting coach of IPL franchise Chennai Super Kings (CSK).
- Hussey, who had represented CSK for a period of five years as a player, will assume the new responsibility in the 11th edition of the IPL which starts in the month of April.
Elina Svitolina won Brisbane International title:
- Ukrainian Elina Svitolina got the perfect boost ahead of the Australian Open by lifting the Brisbane International title with a 6-2 6-1 win over qualifier Aliaksandra Sasnovich.
- Svitolina, ranked sixth in the world, fired 10 aces and never faced a break point on the way to a 10th career tour title.
- She raced to a 3-0 lead before 23-year-old Belarusian Sasnovich found her range with some lethal backhands and briefly threatened to make it a contest.
Current Affairs Today: OBITUARY
First shuttle commander US astronaut John Young passes away:
- Legendary astronaut John Young, who walked on the moon and flew the first space shuttle mission, has died. He was 87.
- Young flew twice to the Moon, walked on its surface & flew the first Space Shuttle mission.
- He went to space six times in the Gemini, Apollo & Space Shuttle programs.
- Young’s career at NASA stretched for 42 years, during which he became the first human to fly in space six times.
- In 1965, Young flew on the first manned Gemini mission and commanded another the next year. In 1969, he became the first person to orbit the Moon alone for Apollo 10.
Director of the National Institute of Advanced Studies Baldev Raj passes away:
- Baldev Raj, Director of the National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS), passed away in Pune, Maharashtra. He was 71.
- A recipient of the Padma Shri award, he took over as director of NIAS, Bengaluru, in 2014. He had also served as director of the Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research in Kalpakkam.
- Author of around 1,000 academic papers in peer reviewed journals and more than 70 books, the professor won more than 100 awards and assignments in more than 30 countries.
- He was also the recipient of the Life Time Achievement Award of the Indian Nuclear Society, the Homi Bhabha Gold Medal, and the Dr.Y. Nayudamma Memorial Award.