Current Affairs 8th January 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launches Delhi Common Mobility Card:
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launched the Delhi Common Mobility Card in New Delhi.
- With this, Delhi has become first Metro city in the country to have a common mobility card which can be used by commuters in Delhi metro and DTC buses.
- The motive behind the launch of this card is to make cashless and convenient commuting for the daily commuters of the National capital.
- The commuters, who already have the metro card, will be able to use the same for commuting in DTC buses.
|Delhi Chief Minister
|Delhi Lieutenant Governor
Defence Innovation Centre to be set up in Coimbatore:
- Defence Minister Nirmala Seetharaman stated that a Defence Innovation Centre will be set up in Coimbatore to assist small industries in manufacturing components for the defence sector.
- The Defence Ministry will release 20 crore rupees as an initial funding to the Coimbatore District Small Industries Association (CODISSIA) to set up the innovation centre.
- Small and micro units as well as startups, that can manufacture components required for the defence production, would be identified by the association. The Association can design or test their products at the centre.
|Tamil Nadu Capital
|Tamil Nadu Chief Minister
||Edappadi K. Palaniswami
|Tamil Nadu Governor
Current Affairs Today: INTERNATIONAL
World’s largest ice festival kicks off in China:
- The Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival, the world’s largest ice festival has kicked off in China.
- The festival’s 34th edition features various landmarks from around the world, including Moscow’s Red Square and Bangkok’s Temple of the Emerald Buddha.
- Nearly 2 lakh cubic metres of ice and 1.5 lakh cubic meters of snow were used to build the sculptures.
Saudi Arabia gives green signal to India’s proposal to revive sea route for Haj pilgrimage:
- Saudi Arabia has given green signal to India’s proposal to revive option of Haj pilgrimage through sea route.
- The practice of ferrying Haj pilgrims between Mumbai and Jeddah by waterways was stopped from 1995.
- Saudi Arabia Haj Minister Dr. Mohamed Bentin and Mr Naqvi, who is on a Saudi Arabia visit, have signed bilateral annual Haj 2018 agreement in Makkah.
- For the first time, Muslim women from India will go to Haj without Mehram, male companion.
- Separate accommodation and transport have been arranged for these women pilgrims in Saudi Arabia. Women Haj Assistant will be deployed for their assistance.
|Saudi Arabia Capital
|Saudi Arabia Currency
|Saudi Arabia King
||Ali Salman Ahmed Salman
Current Affairs Today: STATE
Haryana government sets up state road safety council:
- The Haryana government has set up a state road safety council under the chairmanship of transport minister and district road safety committees led by the deputy commissioners concerned to initiate steps in raising road safety awareness.
- The council would include administrative secretaries of home, school education, public works (buildings and roads), transport and health departments as members.
- The Director General of Police, chief engineer of public works (buildings and roads), chief administrators of Haryana urban development authority and Haryana state agricultural marketing board and three non-government experts or agencies related to road safety, nominated by the government would be the other members of the council.
|Haryana Chief Minister
||Manohar Lal Khattar
||Kaptan Singh Solanki
Current Affairs Today: APPOINTMENTS
Akshay Kumar roped in by BMC for Swachh Survekshan 2018:
- Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar has been roped in by Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation -BMC to promote cleanliness in Mumbai as part of the Swachh Survekshan 2018.
- Civic officials informed that Kumar has agreed to partner with the civic body following a written request sent to him asking for his support for creating awareness on the importance of cleanliness in the metropolis.
- The Swachh Survekshan this year commenced from January 4 and will run till March 10 by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs ranking urban and rural areas of the country on the basis of cleanliness.
Current Affairs Today: AWARDS
Bihar Chief Minister presented 1st Mufti Mohammed Sayeed Probity in Politics and Public Life Award:
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar was presented the 1st Mufti Mohammed Sayeed Probity in Politics and Public Life Award.
- The award was presented to the Bihar Chief Minister by the Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra at Mufti Mohammed Sayeed Commemoration day function held in Jammu.
- Noted economist from U K Lord Meghnad Desai delivered the first Mufti Mohammed Sayeed Memorial Lecture on the occasion.
- State Governor N N Vohra highlighted the contributions of former J & K Chief Minister Mufti Mohammed Sayeed in the development of the state and the country.
Sterling K Brown wins Golden Globe, creates history:
- Actor Sterling K Brown created history by becoming the first African-American to win Golden Globe for best actor in a drama television series.
- Brown bagged the accolades for his role as Randall Pearson on NBC’s breakout hit “This Is Us”.
- Elizabeth Moss continued her winning streak as she took home the Golden Globe trophy in Best Drama Actress TV category for her performance in “The Handmaids Tale”.
- Actor Nicole Kidman won the award for the Best Actress in a Limited Series at the event for her work on “Big Little Lies” and took the opportunity to speak out against abuse.
Current Affairs Today: SCIENCE
SpaceX launches ‘secret’ satellite on its 1st flight of 2018:
- Elon Musk-led SpaceX has launched the Zuma spacecraft commissioned by the US government for an undisclosed mission on its first flight of 2018.
- The launch was followed by a recovery of the first stage booster used with the Falcon 9 rocket.
- In 2017, SpaceX launched 18 rockets, setting the record for most launches in one year by a private company.
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
Australia wins final Ashes Test by innings & 123 runs:
- Australia beat England by innings and 123 runs to seal 4-0 series win in Ashes.
- England’s awful Ashes ended with a huge defeat by Australia in the fifth and final Test in Sydney.
- The tourists were bowled out for 180 in the second innings. England scored 346 in the first innings.
- Earlier, Australia declared 649 for 7 in the first innings. Khawaja scored 171, S Marsh 156 and M Marsh 101 runs for Australia to mass huge scores.
- The fourth test played at Melbourne ended in a drawn.
Current Affairs Today: OBITUARY
Former WTO DG Peter Sutherland dies at 71:
- Former World Trade Organization Director General Peter Sutherland died in Dublin, Ireland. He was 71.
- Sutherland became the WTO’s first chief in 1995, having previously been head of its precursor, the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade.
- Born in Dublin in 1946, he also served as Ireland’s youngest Attorney General and then youngest European Union commissioner during the 1980s.