Current Affairs 9th January 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: IMPORTANT DAY
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas:
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) observed annually on 9 January by the Republic of India to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community towards the development of India.
- The Regional Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2018 was held during 6–7 January 2018 at Marina Bay Sands, Singapore.
- This year’s PBD will celebrate the ASEAN-Indian partnership and will be themed “Ancient Route, New Journey”: Diaspora in the Dynamic ASEAN INDIA Partnership.
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
Government cancels Rs.32,000-crore Make in India warship project:
- The government has cancelled a Rs.32,000-crore Make in India project aimed at constructing 12 advanced minesweeper warships in collaboration with South Korea at the Goa Shipyard.
- The minesweeper warships come in immensely handy during a combat situation or war, as it helps eliminate enemy mines.
- While the Navy requires 24 minesweepers to guard the east and west coasts, only four 30-year-old minesweepers are presently operating.
|South Korea Capital
|South Korea Currency
||South Korean Won
|South Korea President
Government extends deadline for linking Aadhaar with saving schemes:
- Government has extended the deadline for linking of biometric identification Aadhaar to small savings schemes like post office deposits, Kisan Vikas Patra by three months to March 31, 2018.
- The government made 12-digit Aadhaar mandatory for all small savings schemes like post office deposits, PPF, the National Savings Certificate scheme and Kisan Vikas Patra.
- Existing depositors were given time till December 31, 2017 to provide the unique number.
India’s fastest supercomputer ‘Pratyush’ established at Pune’s IITM:
- Union Minister for Science and Technology Harsh Vardhan dedicated India’s fastest and first ‘multi-petaflops’ supercomputer to the nation in Pune. Petaflops is a measure of a computer’s processing speed.
- Christened ‘Pratyush’, meaning the sun, the High Performance Computing (HPC) facility has been established at the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune, and will be a national facility for improving weather and climate forecasts.
- It would be India’s number one HPC facility in terms of peak capacity and performance. This is India’s second HPC unit.
- The first unit, installed at National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF), Noida, assist weather agencies in providing daily forecasts.
- These supercomputers will help weather analysis reach international standards, and attain improved predictions and warnings of natural disasters.
|Ministry of Science and Technology (Cabinet minister)
|Ministry of Science and Technology (Minister of state)
||Y. S. Chowdary
Current Affairs Today: INTERNATIONAL
Turkey to extend state of emergency for sixth time:
- Turkey to extend the state of emergency imposed after the 2016 failed coup for the sixth time, despite criticism that it is used to target Ankara’s critics.
- Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdag announced that the state of emergency will be “extended one more time” for three months and would be discussed at the next National Security Council meeting.
- The latest extension is set to end on January 19.
||Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
Current Affairs Today: STATE
Kerala to get robots to clean sewers, end manual scavenging:
- The Kerala government is procuring 50 robots which are developed to clean sewer holes.
- The robot, named ‘Bandicoot’, has been developed by Kerala-based startup ‘Genrobotics’.
- The robot has four limbs along with a bucket system and can go into a sewer hole, identify the problem and clean sewer holes.
|Kerala Chief Minister
Amarinder Singh launches farm debt waiver scheme:
- Punjab Chief Minister Capt. Amarinder Singh launched the farm debt waiver scheme in Mansa.
- A total of 5.63 lakh farmers will benefit in the first phase, which will provide relief to the tune of ₹2700 crores.
- The nearly 47000 farmers who had taken loans from 701 Primary Agriculture Cooperative Societies of the five districts were getting their money in their bank accounts
|Punjab Chief Minister
||V. P. Singh Badnore
Bihar government bans electronic cigarettes in state:
- The Bihar Government has banned electronic cigarettes in the state. E-cigarette is a battery run electronic device that tries to create the feeling of tobacco smoking.
- The prohibition will also be extended to online portals, which were prime facilitators between the distributors and the end user.
- Those found guilty of violating the decision would attract a jail term of up to three years and fine not less than 5,000 rupees.
- The state government has already banned sale, manufacture, distribution, display and advertising of Gutka, pan masala and tobacco.
|Bihar Chief Minister
||Satya Pal Malik
Gujarat tops logistics performance index chart:
- Gujarat has topped the logistics index chart, an indicator of the efficiency of logistical services necessary for promoting exports in particular and economic growth in general.
- According to the report by the Commerce Ministry Logistics Ease Across Different States, LEADS, would help in identifying the right problem areas in the sector and prepare policy responses to deal with them.
- Among 22 states, Gujarat is followed by Punjab, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Maharashtra on the index. The ranking is based on the analysis of perception with regard to eight parameters, including infrastructure, services, regulatory process and safety of cargo.
- Among the Union Territories, Daman & Diu occupied the top slot followed by Delhi and Chandigarh. As regards the hilly states, Tripura was on top followed by Mizoram and Meghalaya.
|Gujarat Chief Minister
||Om Prakash Kohli
West Bengal to install speed-limiting devices in commercial vehicles to check accidents:
- The West Bengal government will install speed-limiting devices in all commercial vehicles registered in the state to check accidents and to ensure that they maintain stipulated speed limits while moving through the national and state highways.
- The state transport department has also decided to install the speed-limit devices in all vehicles registered for use by the state government.
- The decision is a part of the West Bengal government’s ‘Safe Drive, Save Life’ campaign.
|West Bengal Capital
|West Bengal Chief Minister
|West Bengal Governor
||Keshari Nath Tripathi
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
Foreign start-ups enter India’s fintech segment with Yes Bank:
- Yes Fintech, a startup accelerator of Yes Bank, has launched its second cohort with eight start-ups, including three international firms.
- The cohort, a 15-week innovation programme, will help these start-ups, chosen out of nearly 500 applicants across 10 countries to work on their products, understand its value in the market and get wider access to global audience.
- This cohort will also focus primarily on alternative lending, digital payments, real-time data analytics, cyber security, big data and analytics, process automation, smart decisioning, digital banking, and wealth-tech.
- Three foreign start-ups — Dov-E, bNESIS, Sentimer.AI — make their entry into the Indian market with Yes Fintech
|Yes Bank Headquarters
|Yes Bank Tagline
||Experience our Expertise
|Yes Bank MD and CEO
Ethereum replaces Ripple as second largest cryptocurrency:
- Bitcoin’s rival cryptocurrency Ethereum has surpassed Ripple to become the world’s second largest cryptocurrency.
- The cryptocurrency hit a record high of $1,267, climbing more than 16% in 24 hours.
- Ethereum now has a market capitalisation of over $120 billion and has surged nearly 70% in just first eight days of the year.
GVK announces signing of concession agreement with CIDCO:
- GVK Power and Infrastructure has signed a concession agreement with City and Industrial Development Corporation of Maharashtra, CIDCO, to create a special purpose vehicle for developing the state’s much ambitious Navi Mumbai International Airport.
- GVK through its subsidiary, Mumbai International Airport -MIAL holds 74 per cent equity shares of the SPV- Navi Mumbai International Airport, while Cidco holds the balance 26 per cent.
- The initial concession period is 30 years from the appointed date which is extendable for a further 10 years.
Punjab National Bank signs MoA with NSFDC:
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) and National Scheduled Castes Finance and Development Corporation (NSFDC) have tied up to provide financial assistance for economic empowerment of persons belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC) families living below Double Poverty Line (DPL).
- A Memorandum of Agreement to this effect was signed by BM Padha, Corporate General Manager, PNB, and Devanand, General Manager, NSFDC.
- Under this tie-up, PNB would act as a channelising agent for the loan schemes of NSFDC.
- Concessional finance and skill training grants would be provided to unemployed SC persons living below DPL.
|Punjab National Bank Headquarters
|Punjab National Bank Tagline
||The name you can bank upon
|Punjab National Bank MD and CEO
State Bank of India to raise $2 billion for overseas expansion:
- State Bank of India will raise up to $2 billion — about ₹12,700 crore at current exchange rates — over the next two fiscal years to fund its overseas expansion.
- India’s largest lender intends to raise the amount through a public offer and/or the issue of bonds in US dollars or any other convertible currency.
- The Executive Committee of SBI’s central board has approved the long-term fund-raising in single/ multiple tranches.
- SBI has an overseas presence through 195 foreign offices in 36 countries. As of March-end 2017, the bank had total overseas assets amounting to ₹3.6-lakh crore.
|State Bank of India Headquarters
|State Bank of India Tagline
||With you all the way ,Pure banking nothing else,The nation’s bank on us
|State Bank of India Chairman
Current Affairs Today: APPOINTMENTS
Dilip Asbe appointed as MD & CEO of NPCI:
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), an umbrella organisation for retail payment systems in India, has appointed Dilip Asbe as Managing Director and CEO of the organisation.
- Prior to this, Asbe was CEO-in-charge of NPCI. Asbe was appointed CEO-in-charge in August last year.
- He had come in place of AP Hota, whose term as MD and CEO had ended on August 10 last year.
- Asbe has been in the NPCI since its inception and has played a pivotal role in designing, building, operationalising and managing large-scale payment processing platforms like the Unified Payments Interface (UPI), Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM), Immediate Payment Service (IMPS), India’s home-grown card network RuPay, and several other initiatives.
A R Rahman becomes Sikkim’s brand ambassador:
- Music composer A R Rahman became the brand ambassador of Sikkim.
- The declaration was made by Sikkim chief minister Pawan Kumar Chamling who felicitated the legendary music composer during an inauguration of the 11-day Sikkim Red Panda Winter Carnival at Palzor Stadium in Gangtok.
|Sikkim Chief Minister
||Pawan Kumar Chamling
||Shriniwas Dadasaheb Patil
Indian-origin businessman appointed WBCSD Chairman:
- Singapore-based Indian-origin businessman Sunny Verghese has been appointed as the Chairman of the Geneva-based World Business Council for Sustainable Development.
- Verghese, 57, Co-Founder and the CEO of Singapore’s agri-business group Olam International Limited, is the first World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) Chair from the agri-sector.
- He succeeded Paul Polman, the CEO of Unilever, on January 1 and will serve a two-year term.
- WBCSD is a global network of more than 200 CEOs who are responsible for combined revenue of more than USD 8.5 trillion and 19 million employees.
Current Affairs Today: AWARDS
French honour to be conferred on actor Soumitra Chattopadhyay at Kolkata book fair:
- France will confer its highest order of merit, the ‘Legion of Honour’, on legendary film and theatre actor Soumitra Chattopadhyay at the 42nd International Kolkata Book Fair.
- The honour will be bestowed on the actor who starred in many of Satyajit Ray’s iconic films by French culture and communication minister Francoise Nyssen in Kolkata.
- The Dadasaheb Phalke Award winner Chattopadhyay, 82, acted in several of Ray’s films,including Apur Sansar, Abhijan, Charulata, Aranyer Din Ratri and Sonar Kella.
- The book fair will open on January 30 and conclude on February 11.
Current Affairs Today: SCIENCE
SpaceX loses ‘secret’ US govt satellite after latest launch:
- SpaceX has reportedly lost the ‘secret’ satellite Zuma commissioned by the US government after it failed to reach the orbit.
- The Strategic Command, which monitors man-made objects in space, stated it did not track any new satellites since the launch.
- Reports suggest that the payload did not separate from the Falcon 9’s upper stage and fell back to Earth.
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
BCCI suspends Yusuf Pathan for five months on doping violation:
- Former India all rounder Yusuf Pathan has been suspended by the Board of Control for India in Cricket (BCCI) for five months on the grounds of a doping violation.
- The 35-year-old had “inadvertently ingested a prohibited substance, which can be commonly found in cough syrups.
- The BCCI has back-dated the suspension from 15 August 2017, effectively meaning it will end on 14 January 2018.
Ricky Ponting named Australia assistant coach for T20 series:
- Ricky Ponting has been named as the assistant coach for the Australian team that will take on England and New Zealand in a T20 tri-series.
- Former Australia captain Ponting will assist Darren Lehmann and had the same role last year against Sri Lanka.
- Lehmann’s regular support staff comprising Graeme Hick, David Saker and Brad Haddin will leave early to begin preparations for Australia’s tour of South Africa in March.
- Besides Ponting, women’s head coach Matthew Mott and head of the national performance program Troy Cooley will become Lehmann’s assistants during the series that will be played on both sides of the Tasman.
South Africa beat India by 72 runs in Cape Town Test:
- South Africa have won the Cape Town Cricket Test against India by 72 runs.
- Chasing a victory target of 208 runs on day four of the series opener, India were all out for 135 runs in their second innings.
- Barring the eighth wicket partnership between R Ashwin and Bhuvneshwar Kumar, India’s batting collapsed against swing and bounce on a spicy Newlands surface.
- Ashwin top scored with 37 runs followed by skipper Virat Kohli who made 28. For South Africa, Matt Philander picked up six wickets.