Current Affairs 14th January 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu arrives in New Delhi on 6 day visit to India:
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has arrived in New Delhi on a six-day visit to India.
- He was received by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the Palam airport.
- Mr Netanyahu will visit Teen Murti Chowk for a solemn ceremony at the Teen Murti Memorial and pay homage to Indian soldiers who sacrifice their life to liberate Haifa in 1918.
- The ceremony will also mark the formal renaming of Teen Murti Chowk as the Teen Murti Haifa Chowk.
||Israeli New Shekel
|Israel Prime Minister
Ravi Shankar Prasad to arrive in Colombo today on 3 day visit to Sri Lanka:
- Union minister for Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad will arrive in Colombo on three-day visit to Sri Lanka.
- During his visit, he will call on President Maithripala Sirisena and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremsinghe and discuss issues of mutual interest.
- He will also have meetings with his Sri Lankan counterpart Harin Fernando during which a MoU on cooperation in IT sector between the two countries will be signed.
- Apart from the MoU, both sides will also sign a Joint intent agreement where Indian government will help set up E-office system in Sri Lanka.
|Sri Lanka Capital
||Colombo, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
|Sri Lanka Currency
||Sri Lankan Rupee
|Sri Lanka President
Seventh edition of Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav begins in Karnataka:
- The seventh edition of the Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav, under the Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat matrix, begins in Karnataka.
- The event, organised by the Ministry of Culture, will continue till the 20th of this month. The state paired with Karnataka is Uttarakhand.
- The event will cover a profusion of art forms from classical and folk, music and dance, theatre to literature and visual arts.
- The Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat programme was launched last year to promote engagement among the people of different states to enhance mutual understanding and bonding.
Current Affairs Today: INTERNATIONAL
Ethiopia bans adoptions by foreigners over alleged abuse:
- Ethiopia has banned adoption of children by foreign families amid concerns that the children face abuse.
- The adoption by foreigners made the children “vulnerable to identity crisis, psychological problems, and violation of rights.
- Ethiopia is one of the biggest source countries for international adoptions by the United States (US) citizens.
- Since 1999 more than 15,000 adoptions to the United States have been completed.
Turkmenistan bans women from driving:
- Turkmenistan has banned women from driving in the country.
- President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov issued the order at the request of Interior Minister Isgender Mulikov who claimed that women drivers were responsible for the majority of car accidents in the country.
- Officials have reportedly started seizing the licences of female drivers and impounding their cars.
Current Affairs Today: STATE
Karnataka Government to install biometric system in all PDS godowns:
- The Karnataka State government has initiated steps to install biometric system in all PDS godowns to ensure transparency in supply of food grains to sale points.
- The digitisation of applying and distributing ration cards has helped check the menace of fake ration cards.
- The government has further simplified the process of issuing BPL ration cards. Now, any family with annual income not exceeding ₹1.2 lakh can apply and get the BPL ration card.
- Anybody applying for the card online will receive the card at his doorsteps at just ₹120.
|Karnataka Chief Minister
Haryana records its highest sex ratio at birth in 2017:
- Haryana has recorded its highest sex ratio at birth with 914 girls per 1,000 boys in 2017.
- Of the 5.09 lakh children born last year in the state, 2.6 lakh were boys and 2.4 lakh were girls.
- Haryana had recorded the worst sex ratio at birth in the 2011 Census with 834 girls per 1,000 boys.
|Haryana Chief Minister
||Manohar Lal Khattar
||Kaptan Singh Solanki
Telangana government to distribute new Pattadar passbooks to all agriculture landowners:
- The Telangana government will distribute new Pattadar passbooks to all agriculture landowners in the state on a single day on 11th March.
- The new passbooks will have enhanced security features and will be issued to over 71 lakh farmers based on the findings of a special drive held last year to verify land records.
|Telangana Chief Minister
||K Chandrasekhar Rao
||E.S Lakshmi Narasimhan
Bihar CM Nitish Kumar launches schemes worth over Rs 200 crore during ‘Vikas Samiksha Yatra’:
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar visited Rohtas and Bhojpur districts of the state as part of his state-wide ‘Vikas Samiksha Yatra’.
- The Chief Minister inaugurated and laid foundation stones of around 250 schemes, worth over 200 crore rupees, at a village in Jagdishpur block of Bhojpur.
- Earlier he toured a village under Amethi Panchayat in Sanjhauli block of Rohtas.
- He inspected the work being carried out by residents of the panchayat area in solid waste management and organic farming.
|Bihar Chief Minister
||Satya Pal Malik
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
WEF ranks India 30th on global manufacturing index:
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) has ranked India at 30th position on a global manufacturing index.
- In its first “Readiness for the future of production” report, Japan has been found to have the best structure of production and is followed by South Korea, Germany, Switzerland, China, Czech Republic, the US, Sweden, Austria and Ireland.
- Among BRICS nations, Russia is ranked 35th, Brazil 41st and South Africa at 45th place.
- The report has placed India in the Legacy group along with Hungary, Mexico, Philippines, Russia, Thailand and Turkey, among others.
- China figures among ‘leading countries while Brazil and South Africa are in nascent ones.
BSE’s India International Exchange lists IRFC’s first green bond:
- The Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE)’s India International Exchange listed the first bond on its Global Securities Market.
- The bonds issued by Indian Railways Finance Corporation (IRFC) are one of the highest credit rated bonds issued by an Indian corporate and has been IRFC’s first foray into the Green Bond market.
Ola acquired 100% stake in Foodpanda India for $31.7 million:
- Cab aggregator Ola acquired Foodpanda India from Germany-based Delivery Hero Group for $31.7 million (nearly ₹202 crore).
- Delivery Hero reportedly invested $27.3 million (₹174 crore) in Ola, acquiring 1% stake in the ride-hailing company, as part of the deal.
- The acquisition marked Ola’s return to the Indian online food delivery space after Ola Cafe shut down in March 2016.
Federal Bank ties up with Hedge Equities:
- Federal Bank has entered into a strategic partnership with Hedge Equities Ltd for providing Portfolio Investment Scheme (PIS) services to NRIs.
- Federal Bank is authorised by the RBI to issue permission letter to NRIs on behalf of the RBI to transact in secondary market.
- Currently, the Bank has PIS arrangement with eight partners and through these tie-ups, the bank facilitates NRI clients to invest in shares of Indian companies, in secondary market for purchase/sale of shares or convertible debentures on repatriable and non repatriable basis.
|Federal Bank Headquarters
||Aluva, Kochi, Kerala
|Federal Bank Tagline
||Your Perfect Banking Partner
|Federal Bank CEO
Current Affairs Today: BOOKS and AUTHORS
AAP leader launches his second book:
- Senior leader and Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) spokesperson Dilip Pandey presented his book Call Centre, written along with writer Chanchal Sharma, at the Delhi Book Fair at Pragati Maidan.
- Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Deputy CM Manish Sisodia launched the book, which is a fiction on stories revolving around a call centre.
- This is the second book released by Pandey and Sharma.
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
Football Delhi signs MoU with ASSOCHAM:
- Football Delhi signed a MoU with ASSOCHAM for the development of the sport in the capital city.
- Under the Memorandum of Understanding, emphasis will be given to grassroot level participation through jointly-organised events, seminars and forums.
- Industry members and stakeholders in the field of infrastructure development, sports science and medicine will engage themselves in the initiative.
- As per the MoU, ASSOCHAM and Football Delhi will jointly form a task force to periodically review the progress made and take necessary steps.
India’s Yuki Bhambri qualifies for Australian Open 2018:
- Indian tennis player Yuki Bhambri qualified for the Australian Open with a win over Canada’s Peter Polansky in the final qualification round.
- This will be the third time Bhambri will appear in the Australian Open men’s singles main draw.
- Meanwhile, Ramkumar Ramanathan missed out on his maiden Grand Slam appearance.
Angelique Kerber wins Sydney International title:
- Angelique Kerber won her first title since the 2016 US Open and extended her winning streak to nine matches with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Ashleigh Barty in the Sydney International final.
- The 2016 Australian Open champion and former No. 1-ranked Kerber won four singles matches at the Hopman Cup in Perth, Western Australia, last week, helping Germany reach the final against Switzerland, and followed up with five wins in Sydney.
Current Affairs Today: OBITUARY
Lawyer Satyendra Verma passes away:
- Satyendra Verma, an eminent lawyer better known as the “master of land laws” in Pimpri-Chinchwad, passed away. He was 62.
- Satyendra Verma was popular as “Satishbhau” among family and friends. In 1986, he had contested Pimpri-Chinchwad’s first civic elections on a Congress ticket, but was defeated by a small margin.
- Later, he started practicing law. He was also one of the architects of the first cricket team set up in Kasarwadi.