Current Affairs 16th January 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs in India Today: NATIONAL
Israeli PM Netanyahu to inaugurate 3rd edition of geo-political conference Raisina Dialogue:
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will inaugurate the third edition of the geo-political conference – Raisina Dialogue in New Delhi.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will also be a part of the inaugural session of the three-day event, which has an impressive line up of more than 150 speakers and over 550 delegates.
- The event is being jointly organised by the External Affairs Ministry and Observer Research Foundation (ORF).
- The theme of the dialogue this year is ‘Managing Disruptive Transitions: Ideas, Institutions and Idioms.’
IIM launches Centre for Teaching and Learning:
- With an aim to improve the learning abilities of students and improve the teaching effectiveness of faculty members, the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore has established the Centre for Teaching and Learning (CTL).
- The centre was inaugurated by IIMB Director G. Raghuram.
- The centre will provide teaching inputs to faculty members and doctoral students, facilitate development of teaching content, evolve measures to evaluate teaching performance and learning, and research on innovation pertaining to teaching/ pedagogy.
ADB invests $50 million in True North to support mid-market biz:
- The ADB has invested USD 50 million in True North VI LLP (True North VI) to provide equity capital to middle-market companies in India embarking on their next phase of growth.
- True North was established in 1999 (as India Value Fund) with a view to investing in mid-sized, India-centric businesses.
- True North VI is a closed-end private equity fund that aims to make up to 10 equity investments between USD 50-150 million each in financial services, healthcare, and consumer sectors.
|Asian Development Bank Headquarters
|Asian Development Bank President
Government withdraws Haj subsidy for pilgrims:
- The government withdrew its Haj subsidy for pilgrims, stating that the decision is part of its agenda of empowering minorities without appeasement.
- The subsidy would now be used for the education of minorities, particularly girls.
- The main beneficiary of the ₹700-crore Haj subsidy was Air India.
Government to install digital boards in all schools:
- The Centre decided to launch “Operation Digital Board” shortly, with the help of community and corporate help.
- This will help students view diagrams and presentations through digital tools.
- Digital boards are likely to be installed in all government schools in India in the next five years — a project that will bring technology to classrooms for teaching, learning and assessment of students.
- We are moving towards digital education and so we need to change the tools through which we teach students.
- This will improve accountability of teachers as well. It will make learning more interesting.
Alibaba-owned DingTalk enterprise messaging app launched in India:
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba-owned messaging app DingTalk unveiled an English version in India that caters to the small and medium-sized enterprises.
- Available on both Android and iOS operating systems, DingTalk is a communication and collaboration platform designed for enterprises.
- The app also offers features such as smart attendance system and ‘secret chat’.
Current Affairs Today: INTERNATIONAL
India, Israel sign pact for co-production of films:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu have signed a pact for the co-production of films between the two nations.
- It aims to establish a framework to encourage all audio visual media output, especially co-production of films for benefitting film industries of both countries.
||Israeli New Shekel
|Israel Prime Minister
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
Telegram to launch its own cryptocurrency to raise $1.2 billion:
- Messaging app Telegram is developing a blockchain platform to rival world’s second biggest crypto Ethereum and is seeking to raise $1.2 billion through an Initial Coin Offering (ICO).
- Called the ‘Telegram Open Network’ (TON), it is designed to host a new generation of cryptocurrencies and decentralised applications.
- The investors will receive TON tokens called Grams for participating in ICO.
Bajaj Finance to acquire 12.6% stake in Mobikwik:
- Bajaj Finance will acquire 12.60 per cent stake in mobile wallet company Mobikwik as against 10.83 per cent stated earlier due to a change in conversion price of the compulsory convertible cumulative preference shares.
- In August last year, Bajaj Finance had entered into a subscription agreement with One MobiKwik Systems to acquire 10.83 per cent stake for about Rs 225 crore.
- Due to the change in the conversion price of compulsory convertible cumulative preference shares (CCCPS), the company will now hold approximately 12.60 per cent of equity in Mobikwik on a fully diluted basis post conversion of CCCPS, as and when it happens.
||Bipin Preet Singh
Current Affairs Today: OBITUARY
Actress Charu Rohatgi passes away:
- TV actress Charu Rohatgi, known for her roles in serials like ‘Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?’ and ‘Uttaran’, passed away.
- While Charu had played Parineeti Chopra’s mother in the film ‘Ishaqzaade’, she had also starred in films like ‘1920: London’.
Senior BJP leader N S Pharande passes away:
- Senior BJP leader and former MLC Prof Narayan Sadashiv Pharande passed away. He was 78.
- Pharande had served as the chairman of the Maharashtra Legislative Council from 1998 to 2004 and also as the BJP state president from 1991 to 1995.
- The leader, popularly known as Na Sa Pharande, was elected thrice as the Member of the Legislative Council.