Current Affairs 17th January 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: STATE
Aadhaar and public distribution system to be linked across Maharashtra:
- The Maharashtra government is planning to link the Public Distribution System (PDS) with Aadhaar across all the 52,000 ration shops in the state by March end.
- This comes after the pilot project implemented in Nagpur helped the government save around ₹14 crore.
- The government has estimated that the move will help save around ₹800 crore.
|Maharashtra Chief Minister
||C. Vidyasagar Rao
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
Centre sanctions projects over Rs. 10,000 crore in North East for better network connectivity:
- The Centre has sanctioned projects over 10,000 crore rupees in the North East for better network connectivity.
- 2 MoUs have been signed to cover the uncovered areas in the North East including Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
Newly-constituted 5-judge constitution bench of the SC set up to hear a range of crucial cases to begin its hearings:
- The newly-constituted 5-judge constitution bench of the Supreme Court, set up to hear a range of crucial cases, will begin its hearings.
- The bench is headed by Chief Justice Dipak Mishra and also comprises of Justices AK Sikri, AM Khanwilkar, DY Chandrachud and Ashok Bhushan.
Defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman undertakes sortie in Sukhoi from Jodhpur air base:
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman undertook a sortie in IAF’s frontline combat jet Sukhoi-30 MKI in the western sector of Rajasthan.
- The country’s first woman defence minister described the 30-minute sortie as “wonderful”.
- Sukoi-30 MKI is a nuclear-capable aircraft which can penetrate deep into enemy territory.
|Ministry of Defence (Cabinet minister)
|Ministry of Defence (Minister of state)
ISRO releases first image taken by Cartosat-2
- ISRO released the first image captured by its Cartosat-2 series satellite which was recently launched from the space agency’s spaceport at Sriharikota.
- The image shows a part of Indore with the Holkar Cricket Stadium in the centre.
Current Affairs Today: INTERNATIONAL
China builds ‘world’s biggest air purifier’:
- China has constructed an experimental air purifying tower, touted to be the world’s biggest at a height of over 100 meters (328 feet).
- The tower, built in Xian in Shaanxi province, has brought a positive effect on the chronic smog problem in the country.
- The Xian smog tower is undergoing testing by researchers at the Institute of Earth Environment at the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
Afghans award ‘Medal of Bravery’ to US President Trump:
- US President Donald Trump has been awarded a ‘Medal of Bravery’ by the residents of Afghanistan’s Logar province for his stance against Pakistan.
- The medal, which has been handed over to the US Embassy in Kabul, is worth approximately $645 (over ₹41,000) and has been made out of 15 grams of gold.
World’s longest underwater cave system discovered in Mexico:
- A 347-km-long flooded cave in Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula has been identified by a group of divers as the world’s longest underwater cave system.
- The Gran Acuifero Maya project found that two previously discovered cave systems measuring 263 km and 83 km in length were connected.
- The discovery could help shed new light on the ancient Maya civilisation.
||Enrique Peña Nieto
Romanian PM Mihai Tudose Resigns
Romania’s Prime Minister Mihai Tudose resigned because of no support in his party due to internal struggles.
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
DCB Bank raises Rs 150 crore via bonds:
- Private sector lender DCB Bank has raised Rs 150 crore through issuance of bonds on a private placement basis.
- The capital raising committee of its board of directors issued and “allotted 15,000 non-convertible, redeemable, unsecured, Basel-III compliant tier 2 bonds, for inclusion in tier 2 capital of the bank in the nature of debentures of the face value of Rs 1 lakh each at par aggregating Rs 150 crore on private placement basis“.
- These bonds carry an interest rate of 9.85 per cent per annum for a period of 10 years from January 12, 2018.
|DCB Bank Headquarters
|DCB Bank MD and CEO
||Murali M Natrajan
IBM, Maersk form blockchain firm for international cargo:
- US software firm IBM and Denmark’s Maersk have announced a joint venture that uses blockchain technology to track international cargo movement.
- The company will use distributed ledger technology behind blockchain to create an unchangeable record of transactions that can be shared real-time.
- Maersk, which owns the world’s largest container shipping line, will be the first to use the new platform.
||New York, USA
TCS signs deal worth over 690 million dollars with M&G:
- India’s largest IT services firm, Tata Consultancy Services has signed a deal worth over 690 million dollars with M&G Prudential, savings and investments business of Prudential plc. in the UK and Europe.
- Under the contract, TCS will digitally transform M&G Prudential’s business and deliver enhanced service for its UK savings and retirement customers.
|M&G Prudential Headquarters
|M&G Prudential CEO
Current Affairs Today: BUSINESS
Indian Oil signs Letter of Intent (LoI) with Two Israeli Firms :
Indian Oil Corporation has signed Letters of Intent (LoI) with 2 Israel firms one is Phinergy, an Israeli start-up company, and another is YEDA, a technical company from Weizmann Research Institute, Israel.
|A letter of intent (LOI) is a document outlining the general plans of an agreement between two or more parties before a legal agreement is finalized
Current Affairs Today: AWARDS
President Kovind to confer Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships and Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards for 2016:
- President Ram Nath Kovind will confer the Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships and Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards for 2016 to an eminent group of musicians, dancers, and theatre artists.
- The function will be held at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi. This year, four eminent artists and scholars in performing arts will be conferred Fellowships of the Akademi and 43 artists will receive the Akademis Awards.
- The four Fellowships (Akademi Ratnas) this year will be conferred on Arvind Parikh, R Vedavalli, Ram Gopal Bajaj and Sunil Kothari.
- The Fellows receive a cash award of three lakh rupees, an angavastram, and a tamrapatra. The artists to be honoured with the Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards for 2016 receive one lakh rupees, an angavastram and a tamrapatra.
- The Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships (Akademi Ratna) and Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards (Akademi Puraskar) are national honours bestowed by the government on performing artists as well as teachers and scholars in the field of performing arts.
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
India lose their first Test series in 3 years:
- South Africa defeated India by 135 runs in the Centurion Test, taking an unassailable 2-0 series lead and ending India’s record streak of nine consecutive series wins.
- The last time India lost a Test series was when Australia defeated them 2-0 in a four-match series in 2014-15.
- The last Test will start from January 24 in Johannesburg.
Brazil legend Ronaldinho retires
- The Brazilian World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired from international football.
- The 37-year-old, who also won the Champions League and Ballon d’Or in a glittering career, has not played for a professional team since 2015.
Current Affairs Today: OBITUARY
Veteran actress Ava Mukherjee passes away:
- Veteran actress Ava Mukherjee, who played the role of Shah Rukh Khan’s grandmother in the 2002 film ‘Devdas’, passed away. She was 88.
- She made her acting debut in films with the 1966 Bengali film ‘Ram Dhakka’.
- The actress is also known for her roles in ‘Detective Naani’, ‘Darna Zaroori Hai’ and ‘The Firm Land’.
Former SGPC chief secretary Manjit Singh Calcutta passes away:
- Former Punjab cabinet minister and honorary chief secretary of Shiromani Gurudwara Parbhandak Committee (SGPC) Manjit Singh Calcutta passed away. He was 80.
- Calcutta was close to former SGPC chief Gurcharan Singh Tohra. He was also close to Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh.
- Despite political opposition in recent years, his expertise on Sikh affairs often made former Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal to consult him on complex issues.
Renowned cinematographer W B Rao passes away:
- Renowned cinematographer W B Rao passed away. Rao, known for his works in Bollywood hits like “Rangeela”, “Hum” and “Khuda Gawah”
- In a career spanning four decades, Rao’s first break as a cinematographer happened in 1987 with Mukul Anand’s “Insaaf” starring Vinod Khanna and Dimple Kapadia.
- Some of his other notable films include “Dhadkan”, “Judwaa”, “Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega” and others.