Current Affairs 21st January 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: IMPORTANT DAY
Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya celebrate 46th Foundation Day:
- The three north eastern states of Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya celebrated their 46th Foundation Day on January 21 with various programmes and events.
- The statehood day celebrations in Meghalaya involved a series of events, including sports meets.
- The erstwhile princely states of Tripura and Manipur were merged into Indian Union in October 1949 and became full-fledged states on January 21, 1972.
- Meghalaya was part of Assam before becoming a full-fledged state under the North Eastern Region (Re-Organisation) Act, 1971.
|Tripura Chief Minister
|Manipur Chief Minister
||N. Biren Singh
|Meghalaya Chief Minister
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
Home ministry to hire Air India planes to ferry security men deployed in Jammu and Kashmir, Northeast:
- The ministry of home affairs will hire Air India aircraft to facilitate travel of personnel of central armed police forces, Intelligence Bureau and the NDRF serving in remote areas of the northeast and Jammu and Kashmir from home and place of postings.
- An amount of Rs 109.84 crore has been sanctioned by the ministry to offer the air services to the security personnel during the first seven months of 2018 by hiring the Air India planes.
- Priority will be given to those personnel availing the facility for the first, second and third time respectively and those going on temporary duties, subject to availability of seats.
|Ministry of Home Affairs (Cabinet minister)
||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
|Ministry of Home Affairs (Minister of state)
||Kiren Rijiju, Hansraj Gangaram Ahir
Current Affairs Today: INTERNATIONAL
Turkey launches military operation against Kurds in Syria:
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan stated that the country began a military operation against the Kurdish militia in Syria’s Kurdish-controlled Afrin region.
- The Army hit hideouts used by three Kurdish militant groups, including the YPG that had played a key role in the fight against Islamic State in Syria.
- Turkey considers the Kurdish militant groups as terrorist organisations.
||Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
Current Affairs Today: STATE
Maharashtra government launches `Balasaheb Thackeray Shaheed Sanmaan’ scheme:
- The Maharashtra government launched `Balasaheb Thackeray Shaheed Sanmaan’ scheme, under which family members of martyrs would be provided jobs with the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC).
- The scheme was announced in the presence of Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray.
- Apart from jobs, wives of martyrs would also be provided with lifetime free bus passes. MSRTC also launched ‘Sleeper Shiv-shahi’ buses at the programme held at the ST bus depot in Mumbai Central, where Fadnavis and Thackeray were present.
- The MSRTC also launched a scheme for the youth in the Naxal-affected areas, under which driving training schools would be started for them.
|Maharashtra Chief Minister
||C. Vidyasagar Rao
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
India to become fastest growing large economy in 2018
- India will overtake China to be the fastest growing large economy in 2018 and the country’s equity market will become the fifth largest in the world.
- According to a Sanctum Wealth Management report, when the rest of the world offers low growth and insufficient structural change, India, by contrast, is seen as a reforming economy with the prospect of strong long-term growth.
- India will become the fastest growing large economy in the world, eclipsing China. Indian equity market will jump to become the fifth largest in the world.
ONGC to acquire 51.11% stake in HPCL for Rs. 36,915 crore:
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC) has decided to acquire 51.11 per cent shareholding of fellow public sector undertaking, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited.
- ONGC has entered into a share purchase agreement with the President for acquiring the 778,845,375 equity shares of HPCL (representing 51.11 per cent of HPCL) on January 20, 2018.
- The parties expect to complete the transaction before January 2018 end.
- The ONGC Board had considered the proposal and approved acquisition of the shares at a cash purchase consideration of ₹ 473.97 per share with a total acquisition cost of ₹ 36,915 Crore.
Facebook launches ‘Marketplace’ to buy, sell goods in India:
- Facebook has launched its ‘Marketplace’ to buy and sell used goods and services across categories such as electronics, entertainment, and housing in India.
- For used goods, it allows sellers to register by including details like price, category, location and images.
- The platform also allows buyers to see details like product condition, usage pattern and time of purchase.
Current Affairs Today: APPOINTMENTS
OP Rawat appointed as new chief election commissioner:
- Election Commissioner Om Prakash Rawat will be the new Chief Election Commissioner, CEC.
- He will succeed Achal Kumar Joti, whose term will end on January 22 2018.
- Rawat will assume office on January 23 2018 as the CEC. A 1977-batch IAS officer from the Madhya Pradesh cadre, Rawat was appointed to the Election Commission in August 2015.
- Former Finance Secretary Ashok Lawasa has been appointed as the new election commissioner against the vacancy caused by the elevation of Mr Rawat.
Current Affairs Today: AWARDS
‘Hindi Medium’ named Best Film at Filmfare Awards 2018:
- The Irrfan Khan and Saba Qamar starrer ‘Hindi Medium’ was named the Best Film at the 63rd edition of the Filmfare Awards.
- Irrfan was named Best Actor for ‘Hindi Medium’ while Vidya Balan won Best Actress for ‘Tumhari Sulu’.
- Meanwhile, the Rajkummar Rao starrer ‘Newton’ won the Best Film (Critics) Filmfare award.
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
India wins Blind World Cup 2018:
- The Indian cricket team won the blind world cup 2018 by beating arch-rivals Pakistan by 2 wickets in the final.
- Chasing a target of 308 runs in 40 overs at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium in UAE, the Indian team reached there with 8 balls remaining.
- It was India’s second title at the mega event as earlier they won World Cup, outclassing Pakistan at Cape Town, South Africa in December 2014.
- Batting first, Pakistan scored 308 runs with the help of Riyasat Khan and skipper Nisar Ali’s solid knocks who scored 48 and 47 runs, respectively.
India lose to Belgium in Four Nations tournament final:
- India lost 1-2 to Belgium in the final of the first leg of the Four Nations Invitational Tournament in New Zealand.
- Mandeep Singh scored the only goal for India in the match. Belgium had earlier beaten India 2-0 in the group stages of the tournament.
- The tournament’s second leg will also be held in New Zealand.
Soloman Deksisa wins 15th edition of Mumbai Marathon:
- 15th edition of Mumbai Marathon was held in Mumbai. The richest race in India with prize money worth 4 lakh 5,000 dollars came to a conclusion with Ethiopia’s Soloman Deksisa winning it.
- Another Ethiopian, Shumit Akalnaw became the first runner-up, while Joshua Kipkorir from Kenya came second.
- Meanwhile, Indian Olympic athletes T Gopi and Nitender Singh Rawat also took part in the Tata Mumbai Marathon.
- While T Gopi won in the Indian Elite category, Nitender Singh Rawat came second. Sudha Singh of Central Railways won the Mumbai Marathon in the Indian Elite Women category.