Current Affairs 23rd January 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: IMPORTANT DAY
Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose 121st birth anniversary:
- The Nation pays homage to India’s great freedom fighter Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on his 121st birth anniversary.
- It was on this day in 1897, Netaji was born in Cuttack, Odisha. A number of functions are being organised in different parts of the country to mark the occasion.
- President Ram Nath Kovind, Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu, and Prime minister Narendra Modi have paid rich tributes to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
International Conference on dam safety begins at Thiruvananthapuram:
- India will host an International Conference on dam safety at Thiruvananthapuram.
- The two-day conference will be jointly inaugurated by Union Minister of State for Water Resources Arjun Ram Meghwal and Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
- Dam professionals, academicians, scientists, as well as industries deliberate on the problems associated with the dam safety and share concepts and techniques to address the design and construction of new dams along with disaster mitigation measures for the existing dams.
- The conference will see the participation of 550 delegates from over 20 countries.
|Kerala Chief Minister
Current Affairs Today: INTERNATIONAL
George Weah Takes Power In Liberia :
- Former Football Player George Weah take charge as new president of Liberia.
- Waeh is a distinguished football player at Milan, Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain, winning the Ballon d’Or and Fifa’s world player of the year.
China to build intelligent super expressway:
- China is planning to build a 161- km-long, six-lane intelligent expressway by 2022 in Zhejiang Province in the east.
- The freeway, linking Hangzhou with Ningbo, is expected to increase the average traffic speed by 20 to 30 per cent, slashing the travel time between the two cities from two hours to just one.
- China’s expressways have the speed limits of between 100 kmph and 120 kmph, with the average traffic speed estimated at 90 kmph.
- The new intelligent expressway system will incorporate a monitoring system as well as a warning system to maintain the safety of vehicles while increasing the average traffic speed.
UAE launches app for Indians seeking work visas:
- The United Arab Emirates has launched a smartphone app for Indians seeking work visas that is aimed at streamlining the process and completing most of the procedures in India so that the applicants can make a hassle-free entry into the workforce.
- Currently the app available in Hindi and English for Android platforms, the app will soon be rolled out in Malayalam in view of the large number of people from Kerala who apply for work visas.
- Much of the procedures that were earlier done in the UAE are now done here. The app will facilitate visa applications and make things easier. The app provides guidelines and directions to make the journey safe and hassle-free.
- It is meant to work like a map with key waypoints along with guidelines to complete a particular process, such as the mandatory medical checkup, attestation of documents and police clearance certificate.
||United Arab Emirates dirham
||Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
Current Affairs Today: STATE
Andhra Pradesh-Zurich sign sister state agreement:
- The Andhra Pradesh Government and the Canton of Zurich signed a letter of intent, to promote mutual prosperity and development.
- The agreement was signed in the presence of Chief Minister Naidu by Finance Minister Yanamala Ramakrishnudu and Government Counselor Minister Carmen Walker Spah for sister state relation.
- This will bring the State of Andhra Pradesh and Canton of Zurich closer and ensure that a framework is created, which supports the exchange between both the parties.
- The agreement will further strengthen economic and scientific relations between the two governments in the areas such as Information and Communication Technology, Environmental Technology, Life Sciences and Urban and Regional Development.
|Andhra Pradesh Capital
|Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister
|Andhra Pradesh Governor
||E.S Lakshmi Narasimhan
Jammu and Kashmir government announces various initiatives for development of tribals in state:
- The Jammu and Kashmir government has announced various initiatives for inclusive development of the tribal population in the state.
- The initiatives include special ration cards, setting up of tribal research institutes and Eklavya Mode Residential Schools among others.
|Jammu and Kashmir Capital
|Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister
|Jammu and Kashmir Governor
||N N Vohra
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
Federal Bank launches chatbot for easy m-commerce on its mobile app:
- Kerala based lender Federal Bank has launched a chatbot based virtual assistant in the bank’s mobile application FedMobile in partnership with Niki.ai.
- Using the Chatbot feature, the users of the app can avail a host of m-commerce services by simply chatting on the application.
- Explaining the abilities of the chatbot, the company said that customers can simply type in text to recharge a mobile phone and the application is intelligent enough to pick it up, identify the service provider and recharge the number by debiting the customer’s account.
- The services it can offer range from ticket booking to recharge, bill payments, movie tickets as well.
- A service through Chat on the app is made seamless & interactive, which makes the process quite simple, making m-commerce transactions as easy as chatting with your friend.
|Federal Bank Headquarters
||Aluva, Kochi, Kerala
|Federal Bank Tagline
||Your Perfect Banking Partner
|Federal Bank CEO
Yes Bank to sell $300 million bonds through IFSC unit:
- Mid-scale private sector lender Yes Bank is in the global debt market with a $300-million bond issue, as part of its $1-billion global medium-term note programme.
- This is the first overseas debt sale by a domestic issuer from the International Finance Centre at the Gift City in Ahmedabad.
- According to an investment banker working on the issue, the drawdown will be from Yes Bank’s IFSC banking unit at the Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (Gift City), and will be listed on the London Stock Exchange International Securities Market, Singapore Exchange Securities Trading, and the India International Exchange IFSC.
|Yes Bank Headquarters
|Yes Bank Tagline
||Experience our Expertise
|Yes Bank MD and CEO
IOB inks pact with National Housing Bank:
- Public sector Indian Overseas Bank has joined hands with the National Housing Bank for implementation of the rural housing interest subsidy scheme offered under the Ministry of Rural Development.
- The scheme aims to provide subsidy for loans to households in rural areas for taking up construction and modification activities.
- The subsidy is offered at three per cent for a loan amount of Rs 2 lakh and with a loan tenure of 20 years.
- Indian Overseas Bank has become one of the first public sector banks to implement the scheme.
- The bank would offer the scheme to customers through its 923 rural branches present across the country.
|Indian Overseas Bank Headquarters
|Indian Overseas Bank Tagline
||Good people to grow with
|Indian Overseas Bank MD and CEO
Amazon opens hi-tech grocery store without billing counters in US:
- Amazon has launched a checkout-free hi-tech grocery store called ‘Amazon Go’ in Seattle, US.
- It uses ceiling-mounted cameras to identify each customer and track what items they select, eliminating the need for billing.
- The sensors detect when products are taken from shelves and maintain a virtual cart. The purchases are billed to customers’ credit cards when they leave the store.
||Washington, United States
US to overtake Saudi as 2nd biggest oil producer:
- The US is on track to overtake Saudi Arabia as the world’s second-largest oil producer this year, according to forecasts by International Energy Agency (IEA).
- The US’ output is expected to surge above the historic high of 10 million barrels per day rivalling the largest producer Russia.
- Notably, Russia produced around 10.9 million barrels a day in 2017.
India to beat China as fastest growing economy in 2018:
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has projected that India will regain its fastest growing economy tag among developing countries in 2018, with a GDP growth rate of 7.4% as against China’s 6.8%.
- India is further estimated to grow at 7.8% in 2019. Last year, China with 6.8% growth rate was ahead of India’s 6.7%, making it the fastest growing economy.
Paytm launches Business App for merchants:
- Digital payments startup Paytm has introduced ‘Paytm for Business’ app for merchants and businesses to accept payments instantly for zero charges.
- The app also lets businesses view their transactions without the need to wait for a confirmation SMS or an email.
- It is available in 10 regional languages and has currently been launched on Android operating system.
||Vijay Shekhar Sharma
RailYatri acqui-hires food delivery tech startup YatraChef:
- Noida-based RailYatri, a long-distance travel app acqui-hired Kochi based food-delivery technology start-up YatraChef.
- They will now manage the pan-India supply side of the former’s in-transit delivery business.
- Last-mile capability is becoming a critical piece in commerce marketplaces as companies are able to provide a complete online and offline experience to its users, in addition to creating a premium and differentiated offering.
- With this, RailYatri further strengthened its supply-side commerce capabilities, as it continues to add new offerings to its travel marketplace.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
Apple Going To Stop IPhoneX :
- The Global Tech giant Apple going to stop the production of IPhoneX By the middle of this year.
- The reason behind it is after seeing production delays initially, sales of Apple’s tenth anniversary iPhone saw a slow start and failed to pick up momentum ever since.
Current Affairs Today: APPOINTMENTS
Former footballer George Weah sworn in as Liberia President:
- Former international footballer George Weah has been sworn in as president of Liberia.
- It is Liberia’s first transition between democratically-elected leaders since 1944.
- Mr Weah thanked his predecessor, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, for bringing peace to the country after years of civil war.
OLX India appoints Momtaz Moussa as general manager:
- India’s largest online classifieds marketplace for auto, real estate, goods and services, OLX announced appointment of Momtaz Moussa as the General Manager of OLX India.
- Momtaz, who joined OLX Group in beginning of 2016, as General Manager of OLX in Egypt, one of the fastest growing markets in the MENA (Middle East and North African) region, brings diverse experience spanning over a decade in business development, strategy and consulting.
- He has worked with multinational brands such as Booz & Co, Vodafone and OLX Group. In his last stint at OLX, Momtaz was heading key markets in MENA, covering Egypt, Lebanon and Oman.
Current Affairs Today: AWARDS
Shah Rukh Khan receives Crystal Award at World Economic Forum:
- Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan, Hollywood star Cate Blanchett and singer-songwriter Elton John received awards at the World Economic Forum in Davos for their work raising awareness about human rights issues.
- Shah Rukh, one of Hindi cinema’s most globally known faces, has been feted as he is a founder of the non-profit Meer Foundation, which provides support to female victims of acid attacks and major burn injuries through medical treatment, legal aid, vocational training, rehabilitation and livelihood support.
Current Affairs Today: SCIENCE
Scientists discover new catalyst for making plastic from CO2:
- Canada-based scientists have discovered a copper-based catalyst that converts carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, into ethylene for making polyethylene plastic.
- In presence of the catalyst, carbon dioxide can be reduced to useful chemicals by passing electrical current.
- Paired with carbon capture technology, it could lead to a green production mechanism for everyday plastics.
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
West Indies to host 2018 Women’s World T20:
- ICC has announced that west Indies going to host the T20 World cup 2018.
- Windies aims to defend the title they won with an eight-wicket victory over Australia in Kolkata in 2016.
IPL-2018 Begins On April – 7 With New Rules:
- The 11th Indian Premier League will be held from April 7 to May 27.
- Mumbai Wankede stadium will host the opening and final matches.
- Modified Match Timing : 8 p.m. game will be shifted to 7 p.m., while 4 p.m. will be played at 5:30 p.m
Shuttler Siddharth Singh wins Swedish Open Junior title:
- Young Indian shuttler Siddharth Pratap Singh secured his maiden international title, bagging the Swedish Open Junior International Series with a straight-game victory over Denmark’s Mads Christophersen in the finals in Uppsala in Sweden.
- Playing his first career final, Siddharth defeated Christophersen 21-15, 21-11 in a 33-minute match to claim the men’s singles title.
- Siddharth, who has never played outside Asia, will next play in the Iceland International at Reykjavik to be held from January 25 to 28.
Current Affairs Today: OBITUARY
Longest living army veteran passes away:
- Major FKK Sircar (Retd.), the longest living army veteran passed away. He was 101.
- He was from 2nd battalion of the Assam Regiment and had the distinction of participating in three wars viz World War II, Indo-Pak War of 1947 -48 and Indo-China War of 1962.
- An alumnus of Indian Military Academy, he was among the first set of officers who built National Cadet Corps (NCC) structure across the country.
- Till his sad demise he had a sharp memory and at the age of 95 years, he had penned a book ‘The memories of a Soldier’.