Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL:
Disney announced that it was launching a free video app Oh My Disney with original content aimed at millennials:
- Disney announced Tuesday it was launching a free video app with original content aimed at millennials, who are targeted by advertisers.
- The app — called “Oh My Disney” — will be a variation of the site of the same name, which publishes editorial content and short videos on the world of Disney, Mickey and Marvel superheroes.
- This is a new stage in Disney’s evolution to mobile media, just weeks after the launch of its new ESPN+ app for sports fans
Islamabad’s new airport inaugurated:
- Pakistan’s biggest and first greenfield airport here was inaugurated on Wednesday by Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi after years of delay.
- The Islamabad International Airport became operational when its first commercial flight, Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) PK-300, landed from Karachi.
|Chief Minister||Shahid Khaqan Abbasi|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
SC questions government’s justification for passing Aadhaar Act as Money Bill:
- The Supreme Court questioned the government’s justification for passing the Aadhaar Act as a Money Bill.
- Countering the Central government’s argument that the sole intent of the Aadhaar Act is to act as a weapon for delivering subsidies to targeted beneficiaries, the Constitution Bench led by Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra pointed to Section 57 of the Act.
- The Attorney General countered that the Act contemplated the plight of 300 million people in the country living below the poverty line. “Money has to come necessarily from the Consolidated Fund of India to cover the expenditure of the delivery of targetted subsidies. Not a single provision in the Act is unnecessary or unrelated to the main purpose/pith and substance of the Act, which is giving subsidies,” he argued.
Environment ministry bans party poppers:
- Union Environment Ministry has banned party poppers, stating that the devices pose a serious threat to human health and environment.
- Poppers, which are commonly used in parties and other celebrations are objects that explode when a string attached to it is pulled.
- Poppers are that are charged with an explosive contain plastic glittering material and the other charged chemicals mainly composed of red-phosphorous, potassium chlorate and potassium perchlorate.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
The North Maharashtra University is to be renamed as ‘Kaviyatri Bahinabai Chaudhari North Maharashtra University’:
- The Maharashtra government decided to recommend the decalartion of an ordinance to rename the Jalgaon-based North Maharashtra University after poetess Bahinabai Chaudhari.
- This decision was taken by the Maharashtra state cabinet chaired by Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
|Governor||Chinamani Vidyasagar Rao|
Maharashtra first to issue land document online:
- Maharashtra has become the first state to issue a crucial land ownership document online and accept a digital signature on it as valid.
- The state government’s plan of digitizing the 7/12 extract is thus complete.
- It went a step ahead and generated eight lakh documents with space for digital signatures. The facility was inaugurated by the chief minister.
|Governor||Chinamani Vidyasagar Rao|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Google Grants $3 Million For E-Learning, Teachers In India:
- Google’s philanthropic arm Google.org has announced $3 million in grants for teacher training and educational content creation in India.
- The organisation committed $1 million to TheTeacherApp to help them reach 5,00,000 teachers in two years, besides a $2-million grant and technical assistance from YouTube to the Central Square Foundation.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS
Adani Group unit hires Anil Sardana:
- Adani Transmission, part of the Adani Group, has appointed former Tata Power MD and CEO Anil Sardana as its MD and CEO with effect from May 1.
- Sardana had started his career with NTPC and had worked with BSES and Tata Group companies in the power and infrastructure sectors over three decades, the firm said in a statement.
Ashok Lahiri appointed full-time member of 15th Finance Commission:
- Former chief economic adviser Ashok Lahiri has been appointed as full-time member of the 15th Finance Commission, according to an order issued by the Personnel Ministry.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved Lahiri’s appointment as the full-time member, the order said.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
‘Vibrant North East 2018’ from May 3:
- The ‘Vibrant North East 2018’, an event in which people would be made aware of central government’s schemes and programmes, will be held in Guwahati.
- Players from the agriculture, food processing, consumer affairs, civil supply, drinking water and sanitation sectors will participate in the three-day event.
51st Annual Meeting of Asian Development Bank:
- An Indian delegation headed by Shri Subhash Chandra Garg, Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance is currently on a tour to Manila to attend the 51st Annual Meeting of Asian Development Bank.
- Shri Garg held bilateral meeting with the Premier of Niue, Sir Toke Talagi on the sidelines of the 51st Annual Meeting of Asian Development Bank (ADB) in Manila.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCHEMES AND PROGRAMS
The Union Cabinet has approved increasing the investment limit from Rs. 7.5 lakh to Rs. 15 lakh under the PMVVY:
- The Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved increasing the investment limit from Rs. 7.5 lakh to Rs. 15 lakh under the Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY), aimed at senior citizens.
- It also extended the time limit for subscription from May 4, 2018 to March 31, 2020.
- According to the government, 2.23 lakh senior citizens are availing of benefits under the PMVVY as of March 2018.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOBILE APP & PORTAL
Dhadkan mobile app was launched to monitor health of heart patients:
- Students at IIT Roorkee have developed a mobile application — ‘Dhadkan’ — for monitoring the health of people suffering from heart ailments and provide them with medical assistance in case of emergency.
- The app, developed by Computational Biology group at IIT-Roorkee, can automatically send notification to both the doctor and the patient, in case of any drastic changes in patient’s health data indicating the possibility of an imminent heart attack.
Now pensioners can view passbook using Umang app:
- EPFO announced that now Pensioners can view their pension passbook on mobile phones using Umang app.
- Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has introduced this facility as a part of its plan to go paperless by August 2018 and offer all services online.
- Umang app was launched by government in 2017. It offers access to several government services at one point.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Mohamed Salah named writers’ Footballer of the Year:
- Mohamed Salah of Liverpool football team has been named the Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year for 2017/18.
- Kevin de Bruyne of Manchester team came second and Tottenham’s Harry Kane occupied third position.
- Mohamed Salah is the first African winner of the award. Fran Kirby of Chelsea team won the inaugural FWA Women’s Footballer of the Year award.
Justin Langer Appointed Head Coach Of Australian Cricket Team:
- Cricket Australia appointed Justin Langer as the new coach of the Australian national cricket team.
- Justin Langer Appointed Head Coach Of Australian Cricket TeamJustin Langer – Head Coach Of Australian Cricket Team:
- Justin Langer replaced Darren Lehmann. Darren Lehmann recently resigned due to the ball-tampering scandal.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARIES
Renowned artist Ravinder Sharma passes away:
- Ravinder Sharma, fondly called Guruji, the founder of Adilabad’s Kala Ashram died at his house at the age of 65 years.
- Guruji was suffering from cancer since the last three years and died in his sleep.
- A trained artist, Guruji had been awarded with Kala Ratna by the Andhra Pradesh State government in 2014.