Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
World Radiography Day
- World Radiography Day is celebrated on 8 Novembereach year. The date marks the anniversary of the discovery of x-radiation by Wilhelm Roentgen in 1895.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Union Cabinet approves opening up of International Solar Alliance membership to all UN countries
- The decision was taken to put solar energy on the global agenda with the universal appeal for developing and deploying solar energy. International Solar Alliance (ISA) is an alliance dedicated to the promotion of solar energy among its member countries and is headquartered at Gurugram, India.
India re-elected as member of ITU council till 2022
- India elected as a member of the International Telecommunications Union-ITU Council for another four-year term from 2019 to 2022. The elections to the Council were held during the ongoing ITU Plenipotentiary Conference 2018 at Dubai.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
UK unveiled sculpture to honour Indian soldiers
- A sculpture in honour of Indian soldiers who fought during World War I was unveiled in the town of Smethwick in the West Midlands region of England. Guru Nanak Gurdwara Smethwick had commissioned the Lions of the Great War monument, which depicts a turbaned Sikh soldier, to honour the sacrifices made by millions of South Asian service personnel of all faiths who fought for Britain in the world wars and other conflicts as part of the British Indian Army.
US exempts India, China from its sanctions for buying Iranian oil
- The United States has temporarily exempted eight countries, including India from the US sanctions for buying Iranian oil. The other nations include China, Japan, Italy, Greece, South Korea, Taiwan and Turkey.
The plan to create the world’s largest marine sanctuary in Antarctica
- The plan to create the world’s largest marine sanctuary in Antarctica waters was shot down as the environmentalists denounced a lack of scientific foresight and hence the key conservation summit failed to reach a consensus. Member states of the organisation tasked with overseeing the sustainable exploitation of the Southern Ocean failed at an annual meeting to agree over the 1.8 million sq km maritime protection zone. The proposed sanctuary is around five times the size of Germany.
Twitter removes thousands of automated accounts in US
- In the United States, Twitter has removed thousands of automated accounts that were posting tweets encouraging voters to sit out of the nation’s crucial midterm elections. A statement from the social media company read that it had removed a series of accounts for engaging in attempts to share disinformation in an automated fashion.
|US Capital||Washington DC|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
India and Japan signed a loan pact of Rs 18.17 crore for the construction of the Turga Pumped Storage in West Bengal
- India and Japan recently a Loan Agreement worth Rs 1817 crore for the ‘Project for the Construction of Turga Pumped Storage (I)’ in West Bengal. The purpose of the Project is to strengthen the capability to respond to fluctuation in supply and demand of power and to improve stability of the power supply by constructing the pumped storage facilities.
|West Bengal Capital||Kolkata|
Nagaland records highest school dropouts in India
- As per survey conducted by the World Bank, the student dropout rate in Nagaland’s upper primary (VI-VIII) and the secondary (IX-X) class stood at 17.7 per cent and 35.1 per cent respectively. The student dropout rate in Nagaland’s primary schools, in Grades I-V, stood at 19.4%, four times above the national average of 4.3%, making it the state with highest school dropout rate in the country.
UP chief minister Yogi Adityanath renamed Faizabad as Ayodhya
- During the celebrations on the eve of Diwali, the Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath made three major announcements:
- Faizabad district will be renamed as Ayodhya,
- A new airport will be named after Lord Rama,
- A new medical college will be named after King Dasharatha.
Uttar Pradesh Ayodhya Deepotsav 2018 enters Guinness Book of World Records: Over 3 lakh diyas lit
- A Guinness certificate was issued to UP government’s tourism department and Dr Ram Manohar Lohia (RML) Avadh University, Faizabad, for over 3,01,152 earthen lamps illuminated on the bank of River Sarayu on Chhoti Diwali as part of Deepotsava.
NMCG and HCL foundation to engage in Afforestation and Public outreach activities through Bal Ganga Mela
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) partnered up with HCL Foundation and German development agency GIZ (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit) to organize “Bal Ganga Mela” at HCL’s Noida campus. The main objective is to encourage students to become ambassadors of change.
Lucknow stadium renamed after Atal Bihari Vajpayee ahead of India-West Indies T20I match
- The newly-built Ekana International Stadium of Lucknow was renamed after former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. The stadium will now be known as ‘Bharat Ratna Atal Bihari Vajpayee International Cricket Stadium’.
|Uttar Pradesh Capital||Lucknow|
World Bank and Centre and Andhra govt signed an MOU to $172 million loan to make farming viable in Andhra Pradesh
- Features of the project are: To work with 1000 Small-Scale Community-Based Irrigation (SSCBI) systems spread over an area of 90,000 hectares (ha), covering over 1000 villages across 12 most climate vulnerable districts of Andhra Pradesh.
|Andhra Pradesh Capital||Hyderabad, Amaravathi|
India’s largest container port, Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) is planning to host an edible oil refinery
- India’s largest container port, Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) is planning to host an edible oil refinery to maximise revenue and ensure captive cargo. The land will be leased out on a long-term basis and it will be beneficial for the port, as it will give it captive cargo.
|Governor||Chinamani Vidyasagar Rao|
Tourism Minister inaugurated Tourist Facilitation Counter at IGI airport
- Tourism Minister K J Alphons has inaugurated the Tourist Facilitation and Information Counter at Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi. The facilitation counter is located at the terminal-3 arrival gates of the IGI Airport. The centre is aimed at helping the tourists who will visit the country. The counter will be connected to the 24×7 Helpline – 1363 of the Tourism Ministry.
|Delhi Capital||New Delhi|
Mo bus service launched in Odisha
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched the technology-driven and citizen-friendly ‘Mo bus’ service in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. The bus has some facilities such as free wi-fi, CCTV surveillance, public information display system and on-board announcements.
Bhubaneswar Me Wi-Fi’ launched
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has launched the ‘BhubaneswarMe Wi-Fi’ by Bhubaneswar Smart City Limited to make the city accessible across its major happening places.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Banks take over MCA stadium in Pune over loan payment defaults
- A consortium of lenders led by Bank of Maharashtra has taken ‘symbolic possession’ of Pune’s Maharashtra Cricket Association (MCA) Stadium over non-payment of a loan by stadium authorities. The Maharashtra Cricket Association has failed to repay dues of Rs.69.53 crore to Bank of Maharashtra, Karnataka Bank, Bank of Baroda and Andhra Bank despite being served a 60-day notice on August 18.
ICICI Bank launched a co-branded credit card with Amazon Pay
- The co-branded card is available on the Visa platform. This move is expected to help significantly expand the credit card customer base for the bank. This will make online shopping more affordable and provide the best value to Amazon Pay customers. The features of the card are: It enables Amazon Prime members to earn 5 percent reward points on shopping on Amazon.in.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
Ola launches operations in New Zealand after UK, Australia
- Bengaluru-based cab aggregator Ola has officially launched operations in New Zealand, offering ride services in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. It comes after Ola launched operations in Australia and the UK in January and August respectively.
Reliance Industries receives India’s first LC payment via blockchain
- In a first for India, British bank HSBC Holdings Plc has executed a trade finance transaction using blockchain for a deal involving an export by Reliance Industries to an American client, Tricon Energy. Blockchain massively reduced the time taken for processing the documents.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Dinkar Asthana is appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Lao Peoples Democratic Republic
- Dinkar Asthana is appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Lao Peoples Democratic Republic. Dinkar Asthana is an Indian Foreign Service Officer (IFS) of the 1990 batch. Currently, he is Additional Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs. He has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Lao People’s Democratic Republic. He replaces Mr. Ravi Shankar Aisola. He will take up this assignment soon.
Gafur Rakhimov elected as President of AIBA
- He won 86 of the 134 second-round votes collected by International Boxing Association (AIBA) officials in Moscow to beat his only opponent, former boxer Serik Konakbayev of Kazakhstan.
Gaddam Dharmendra appointed India’s Ambassador to Iran
- Senior diplomat Gaddam Dharmendra has been appointed India’s Ambassador to Iran, the Ministry of External Affairs.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Actor Anupam Kher honoured with ‘Distinguished Fellow Award’ in Boston
- He was awarded at the 3rd India Global Summit held at MIT Sloan School of Management in Boston. The Summit discussed the growing importance of relationship between India, USA and China. Anupam Kher holds the record for winning the Filmfare Award for Best Comedian five times.
Namrata Ahuja bags IPI-India Award for excellence in journalism 2018
- Namrata Ahuja is a senior special correspondent with The Week magazine. She has received this award for her exclusive story on Nagaland underground camps.
N Ram chosen for Raja Ram Mohan Roy Award by Press Council of India (PCI)
- The award will be presented on the occasion of the National Press Day. Award winners under various categories are listed below:
- Rural Journalism: Ruby Sarkar, Chief Correspondent, Deshbandhu, Bhopal & Rajesh Parshuram Joshte, Daily Pudhari, Ratnagiri
- Developmental Reporting: VS Rajesh, Deputy Editor, Kerala Kaumudi Photojournalism
- Single News: Subhash Paul, Rashtriya Sahara, Delhi
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
India, Malawi sign MoUs on extradition treaty, atomic energy and visa waiver
- India and Malawi has signed three MoUs on Extradition Treaty, cooperation in the field of atomic energy for peaceful purposes and visa waiver for diplomatic and official passports.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
18th Indian Ocean Rim Association Council of Ministers Meeting Held in Durban
- 18th Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) Council of Ministers Meeting in Durban, South Africa on 2 November 2018. This meeting is taking place during the on-going celebrations of the 150th year of the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi and the 100th birth anniversary of Nelson Mandela.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOBILE APP AND PORTAL
The world’s largest neuromorphic supercomputer which was switched on for the first time is SpiNNaker
- The world’s largest neuromorphic supercomputer SpiNNaker (‘Spiking Neural Network Architecture’ machine), which was designed and built to work like a human brain, has been switched on for the first time. Made up of one million processors, SpiNNaker can complete over 200 million-million actions per second. The supercomputer will help scientists better understand how neurological diseases like Parkinson’s impact the brain.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
India Ranked 12th in the web-borne threats as per the report of Kaspersky Lab
- Kaspersky Lab products detected 48,093,743 Internet-borne malware incidents on computers of KSN participants in India. Regarding vulnerabilities in browsers and their plugins (drive-by download), infection happened when visiting an infected website, without any intervention from the user and without their knowledge.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Nuclear submarine INS Arihant completes first deterrence patrol
- India’s first indigenous nuclear submarine INS Arihant has successfully completed its first deterrence patrol. The development signifies that underwater warship has completed its maiden long-range mission with live nuclear-tipped missiles.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Rohit Sharma sets record, becomes first cricketer in history to score 4 T20I hundreds
- He achieved the milestone in 58 balls during the second T20I against the Windies at the Bharat Ratna Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee International Cricket Stadium in Lucknow. He also overtook Virat Kohli (2,102 runs) to become India’s leading run-getter in T20Is, and ended up second on the list of the highest run-getters in the world, just behind New Zealand’s Martin Guptill. He also became the first captain to score two T20I hundreds.