Current Affairs Today 10th April 2018:
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
World Homoeopathy Day: 10 April:
- A two-day scientific convention is being organised in New Delhi by Ministry of AYUSH on the occasion of World Homoeopathy Day, on 10-11th April 2018.
- The Vice President Shri. M. Venkaiah Naidu will be the chief guest at the function while Minister of State (I/C) for AYIJSH Shri Shripad Yesso Naik will preside.
- This day is observed to commemorate the birth anniversary of the founder of Homoeopathy Dr. Christian Friedrich Samuel Hahnemann.
- The theme of this convention is “Innovate: Evolve; Progress: Exploring Science since 40 years”.
|Theme||“Innovate: Evolve; Progress: Exploring Science since 40 years”.|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Prime Minister of Nepal KP Oli signed different MOUs in India Visit:
- Prime Minister of Nepal, KP Oli was on a three-day official visit to India from 6th – 8th April 2018.
- India will build a strategic railway link between Raxaul in Bihar and Kathmandu in Nepal to enhance people-to-people linkages and promote economic growth and development.
- India and Nepal reiterated their commitment to promote bilateral cooperation in agricultural science and technology, agricultural production and agro-processing.
- India and Nepal have agreed to develop inland waterways for cargo movement, within the framework of trade and transit arrangements.
|Prime Minister||KP Oli|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Goa govt to launch its app-based taxi service:
- Goa State Government has decided to launch its own app-based taxi service at some key tourist destinations across the state.
- Goa govt to launch its app-based taxi service
- Earlier, tourist taxi operators who run their businesses individually in Goa, opposed attempts made by online cab aggregators like Ola to start services in the state, fearing that such a move will affect their business.
- Thus, Goa Tourism Development Corporation (GTDC) itself decided to start the new mobile application-based transport service and invited the taxi operators to register with it.
Kerala issues protocol to confirm brain death cases:
- With an aim to make organ transplants more transparent in the state, Kerala State Government has issued guidelines to be followed to confirm brain death cases.
- A medical board comprising four doctors, including one in government service, will be the competent authority to declare a patient brain-dead.
- The guidelines have been divided in to three stages viz. – precautions to be taken before tests to determine brain death, analysis of reflective actions of brain and apnea test (known as sleep test).
- Distinction between a state of coma and brain has also been clearly outlined by precise definitions. A state of unconsciousness caused by damage to particular nerves of brain has been defined as ‘Coma’ while state of permanent destruction of brain cells caused by excessive bleeding in brain has been defined as ‘Brain Death’.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
SBI to invest Rs 80 bn in hydropower project of Nepal
- India’s largest bank, State Bank of India (SBI) will be investing a total of Rs 80 billion in the 900 megawatt (MW) Arun III hydropower project of Nepal.
- The contract for constructing this project has been awarded to Sutlej Jal Vikas Nigam (SJVN) and SJVN has made an agreement with the SBI to acquire the investment as a loan.
- Indian Government has already granted approval to SJVN to invest Rs. 92 billion in this project.
- This project is targeted to be completed by September 2022. On account of investment, SJVN will take the charge for 25 years excluding the time for the construction.
11 public sector banks placed under RBI’s PCA Framework:
- 11 public sector banks have been placed under the Reserve Bank of India (RBI)’s Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) framework due to non-performing assets.
- These banks have been placed under RBI’s PCA framework to keep a check on NPAs. Generally, lending activities of banks under PCA are restricted.
- They are also restricted from opening new branches, staff recruitment and increasing the size of their loan book. They are instructed to disburse loans only to companies whose borrowing is above investment grades.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
RInfra wins Rs 1,081 crore contract for Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project:
- Reliance Infrastructure Ltd (RInfra) said that, it has won a Rs 1,081 crore contract from Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) for work in two units of the Kudankulam project in Tamil Nadu.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
President Ram Nath Kovind concludes visit to Equatorial Guinea with 3 MOUs:
- President of India, Ram Nath Kovind concluded his visit to Equatorial Guinea, the first leg of his visit to three African nations – Equatorial Guinea, Swaziland and Zambia.
- Ram Nath Kovind is the first President of India to visit Equatorial Guinea.
- President Ram Nath Kovind was conferred with the ‘Condecoracion’, the highest honour accorded to a non-citizen by the government of Equatorial Guinea. So far, ‘Condecoracion’ has been awarded only to select heads of state.
- During his meeting with Equatorial Guinea President, Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, President Kovind discussed various issues of global and regional interest, and also agreed to expand bilateral partnership towards cooperation in the fields of agriculture, mining, health, telecommunication and Information Technology (IT).
- During the course of this visit, India and Equatorial Guinea signed three Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in the fields of AYUSH and traditional medicine; medicinal plants; and an action plan for Information and Communication Technology.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
President Ram Nath Kovind signed two agreements signed with Swaziland:
- President Ram Nath Kovind, on a three-nation Africa visit, held delegation-level talks with Swaziland King Mswati III in Mbabane. Both sides agreed on expanding the India- Swaziland partnership to accelerate growth and development.
- India and Swaziland signed two agreements on health and visa waiver. One of the agreement deals with granting of the visa waiver for the diplomats and officials holding relevant passports while the other is to ensure cooperation in the field of health and medicine.
- President Kovind was conferred with Order of the Lion, the highest award of Swaziland. After concluding the visit to Swaziland, President Kovind will visit Zambia, in the third and final leg of his visit.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
Conference On Water Environment And Climate Change Begins In Nepal
- An international conference on ‘Water, Environment and Climate Change: Knowledge Sharing and Partnership’ started in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- The three-day event is being organized by the Department of Water Supply and Sewerage and Govt of Nepal.
- The basic objective of the conference is to bring together professionals, government and non-government institutions to discuss and deliberate on challenges related to water and environmental issues.
- More than 100 international participants from 20 different countries, including India, will attend the conference.
1st NITI Forum Meet At Agartala:
- Tripura is all set to host the first meeting of the NITI Forum- a unit of NITI Aayog in Agartala. In this meeting, Chief Ministers of all Northeastern States, Minister of Development of North Eastern Region and senior officials of NITI Aayog and Union Government will join the conclave.
- The ‘NITI Forum for North East’ was constituted in February 2018 with an aim to ensure the sustainable economic growth of the North Eastern Region of the country.
- The meeting was chaired by the vice-chairman of the NITI Aayog, Rajeev Kumar.
Nepal President Inaugurates International Conference On Human Rights In Kathmandu:
- President of Nepal Bidhya Devi Bhandari inaugurated an International Conference on Human Rights in South Asia in Kathmandu. The conference is organized by the National Human Rights Commission of Nepal.
- The representatives of Human Rights Commissions and institutions, human rights activists from 20 countries including India are participating in the 3-day event.
- The theme of the conference is “Identifying Challenges, Assessing Progress, Moving Forward: Addressing Impunity and Realizing Human Rights in South Asia”.
CURRENT AFFAIRS SCHEMES AND PROGRAM
8th Theatre Olympics concludes in Mumbai:
- 51-day long 8th Theatre Olympics, concluded in Mumbai on April 8, 2018. Theatre Olympics is the largest international theatre festival and was held in India for the first time.
- 8th edition of Theatre Olympics was inaugurated by Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu at the Red Fort, Delhi, on February 17, 2018
- This event brought together around 25000 artists under the theme “Flag of Friendship”.
- 8th Theatre Olympics witnessed 450 shows from more than 30 countries performed across 17 Indian cities – Agartala, Bengaluru, Ahmadabad, Bhopal, Chandigarh, Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Guwahati, Jaipur, Imphal, Jammu, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi, Patna, Thiruvananthapuram, and Varanasi.
‘Gobardhan Yojana’ launched to Support Farmers:
- The Haryana government launched the ‘Gobardhan Yojana’ to provide for the sale of organic manure and cow urine with an aim to benefit farmers.
- A provision of Rs 11 crore has been made to provide benefits of various projects under this scheme.
- The Gobardhan Yojana would help in doubling the income of farmers and next time, the MSP would be given with additional benefit of 50% over the cost of production.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS
Ashok Gehlot appointed as member of Congress central election panel:
- Congress general secretary Ashok Gehlot has been made a member of Congress central election committee.
- The Congress central election committee selects candidates during elections. It has been said that Ashok Gehlot will become a member of the key committee chaired by Congress president Rahul Gandhi with immediate effect.
Deutsche Bank names Christian Sewing New CEO:
- Deutsche Bank AG named Christian Sewing as the Chief Executive officer of the Bank. He has replaced John Cryan. The Sewing will take over with immediate effect.
- Garth Ritchie was promoted to sole head of the securities unit and will become a deputy CEO, along with chief administrative officer Karl von Rohr.
UN body names Messi responsible tourism ambassador:
- The UN World Tourism Organization said it has appointed FC Barcelona’s Argentine star Lionel Messi as an ambassador to promote responsible tourism.
- The UN body defines “responsible tourism” as tourism that “helps maximise the sector’s benefits while minimising its potentially negative impact on the environment, cultural heritage and societies across the globe”
- World Tourism Organization chief: Zurab Pololikashvili
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Sebastian Vettel won Bahrain Grand Prix:
- Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel won his second Grand Prix in as many races, at the Bahrain Grand Prix, while Mercedes’ finished second by just 0.699 seconds.
- Meanwhile, reigning world champion Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton finished third.
India Win Badminton Team Gold For first time In CWG History:
- India clinched their first-ever badminton mixed team event gold in Commonwealth Games history after defeating defending champions Malaysia 3-1 in the final at Gold Coast.
- India’s previous best performance in the mixed team event at CWG was a silver-medal finish in the 2010 edition.
- Saina Nehwal and Kidambi Srikanth represented India in singles’ matches of the five-member team event.
- Kidambi Srikanth lead the team.
Indian Men’s Table Tennis Team Wins Gold CWG 2018:
- India defeated Nigeria to clinch gold in the men’s table tennis team event at the Commonwealth Games for the first time since 2006.
- With this, India joined England to bag second-most table tennis gold medals (5) at CWG.
- This is the first time that India have won both men’s and women’s TT team events at a single CWG edition.