Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
India to host 15th Asia Media Summit:
- India will host the 15th Asia Media Summit in which representatives from nearly 40 countries will discuss on issues related to the media sector.
- New Delhi is hosting the annual summit of the Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) Kuala Lumpur for the first time.
- The summit will encourage regional and bilateral dialogue and cooperation to respond to challenges to the broadcasting sector in the region. It will also provide a unique opportunity for broadcasters in the Asian region to share their thoughts on software and hardware aspects of broadcasting.
- Over 200 foreign delegates representing 39 countries and over a hundred Indian delegates would participate in the event. Dignitaries attending the Summit include Minister of Information from Bangladesh and Cambodia and Standing Commissioner Korea Communications Commission.
- The summit will be hosted by the Information and Broadcasting Ministry, jointly with the Indian Institute of Mass Communication and public sector firm Broadcast Engineering Consultants India Limited (BECIL).
|Theme of the summit||Telling Our Stories – Asia and More|
Union Minister for Civil Aviation Suresh Prabhu inaugurates 6th US-India Aviation Summit:
- The 6th US-India Aviation Summit was formally inaugurated by Union Minister for Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu in Mumbai
- The biennial Summit is jointly organised by Ministry of Civil Aviation and US Trade and Development Agency (USTDA).
- The summit is a technical, policy and commercial forum by the Indian Ministry of Civil Aviation and the US Trade and Development Agency.
- Besides a US and India bilateral meeting, the summit will also include sessions on India’s projected aviation growth in next five years, aviation security and technologies for worldwide airspace management among others.
Government approves green licence plates for e-vehicles:
- To promote electric vehicles in India, the government has approved green licence plates bearing numbers in white fonts for private e-vehicles and yellow for taxis.
- The government also plans to allow youth in the age bracket of 16-18 years to drive electric scooters, besides mandating taxi aggregators to have a certain percentage of e-vehicle fleet.
- A notification in this regard will be out in a week’s time, Mr. Gadkari, who has been advocating electric mobility promotion.
- The purpose behind distinctive number plates is their easy identification for preferential treatment in parking, free entry in congested zones besides other proposed benefits like concessional toll.
Pawan Kumar Agarwal gets extension as CEO of FSSAI:
- Pawan Kumar Agarwal was given three months extension as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- The tenure of Agarwal, a 1985-batch IAS officer of West Bengal cadre, has been given three-month extension beyond May 15, 2018, an order issued by personnel ministry.
- He was appointed as the CEO of the FSSAI in December 2015.
Current Affairs Today: INTERNATIONAL
India, Panama sign two agreements:
- India and Panama have signed two agreements on exemption of Visas for holders of Diplomatic and Official Passports and in the field of Agriculture.
- These agreements were signed in the presence of Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu and President of Panama Juan Carlos Varela Rodrigues and Vice President and Foreign Minister Isabel de Saint Malo de Alvarado in Panama city.
|Panama Capital||Panama city|
|Panama Currency||United States Dollar, Panamanian balboa|
|Panama President||Juan Carlos Varela Rodrigues|
Current Affairs Today: STATE
Himachal Pradesh University to be ‘disabled friendly’:
- Himachal Pradesh University (HPU) will soon become the first ‘disabled friendly’ varsity in the northern region.
- The university was spending Rs 40 lakh on various facilities for the disabled students.
- This will include a separate section of library for the disabled with 13 computers, equipped with talking software and fully accessible web portal. The university community is also sensitized on the issues pertaining to disability.
- Presently, more than fifty disabled students are studying in the campus, including 12 visually impaired students.
- The new web portal, fully accessible for the blind, deaf and those disabled persons who have difficulty in using mouse is ready to be launched at the cost of nearly Rs 21 Lakh.
|Himachal Pradesh Capital||Shimla, Dharamsala (Second Capital in Winter)|
|Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister||Jai Ram Thakur|
|Himachal Pradesh Governor||Acharya Dev Vrat|
Kerala government to give home, Rs.5 lakh to Maoists who surrender:
- The Kerala government has announced that it will provide a home and Rs.5 lakh among other benefits to Maoists who surrender and seek to reintegrate into the mainstream.
- The rehabilitation package is aimed at helping people who fell into the Maoists’ trap, the Kerala government said. The package will include strict monitoring to ensure that it isn’t exploited.
|Kerala Chief Minister||Pinarayi Vijayan|
|Kerala Governor||P. Sathasivam|
Haryana to start 31 government colleges for girls:
- Haryana Government has decided to start 31 government colleges for girls with effect from ensuing academic session 2018-19.
- Additional charges of these colleges have been given to principals of others colleges so that work would not halt in these colleges.
- Till the construction of college buildings get completed, these colleges would run in vacant buildings of government schools or other organisations so that girls would not have to travel far places for education.
|Haryana Chief Minister||Manohar Lal Khattar|
|Haryana Governor||Kaptan Singh Solanki|
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
India fastest growing economy at 7.4 per cent in 2018: IMF
- The International Monetary Fund, IMF reaffirmed that India will be the fastest-growing major economy in 2018, with a growth rate of 7.4 per cent that rises to 7.8 per cent in 2019 with medium-term prospects remaining positive.
- The IMF’s Asia and Pacific Regional Economic Outlook report stated that India was recovering from the effects of demonetisation and the introduction of the Goods and Services Tax.
- The recovery is expected to be underpinned by a rebound from transitory shocks as well as robust private consumption.
|International Monetary Fund Headquarters||Washington, D.C., United States|
|International Monetary Fund CEO||Christine Lagarde|
YES Bank to launch water-security programme:
- YES Bank is all set to roll out a capacity building project with farmers in Haryana and Rajasthan under its ‘Livelihood and Water Security’ CSR initiative.
- “Agriculture productivity has come under pressure during the last couple of years because of climate change and water security.
- This initiative is aimed at improving farmers’ access to finance, ensuring effective use of digital banking resources, and imparting good agricultural practices.
- “We have proposed to roll out the programme during the current year in the States of Haryana and Rajasthan as two-thirds of the population in Rajasthan depend on agriculture for their livelihood.
- “The programme would be rolled out initially across 15 districts (eight districts in Haryana and seven in Rajasthan) in these two States, impacting 10,900 farmers.
|Yes Bank Headquarters||Mumbai|
|Yes Bank Tagline||Experience our Expertise|
|Yes Bank MD and CEO||Rana Kapoor|
Government mulls 100% FDI in insurance intermediaries:
- The government is considering allowing 100 per cent foreign direct investment (FDI) in insurance intermediaries with a view to give a boost to the sector and attracting more funds.
- Intermediary services include insurance broking, third party administrators, surveyors and loss assessors.
- The FDI policy, at present, allows 49 per cent foreign investment in the insurance sector, which includes insurance intermediaries.
Walmart buys 77% stake in Flipkart for $16 billion:
- Walmart Inc buying 77 per cent stake in Flipkart for about USD 16 billion (Rs 1.05 lakh crore), its biggest deal which will give the US retailer access to Indian e-commerce market that is estimated to grow to USD 200 billion within a decade.
- The deal, wherein co-founder Sachin Bansal and Japan’s Softbank Corp Group are exiting, values Flipkart at USD 20.8 billion. It is the biggest M&A deal in India this year.
- “Walmart’s investment includes USD 2 billion of new equity funding, which will help Flipkart accelerate growth in the future,”
Current Affairs Today: AWARDS
Mukesh Ambani only Indian businessman on Forbes most powerful people list:
- Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani is the only Indian businessman who made it to the Forbes latest ranking of “The world’s most powerful people”.
- Ambani, with a net worth of 41.2 billion dollars, ranks 32nd on the Forbes list. Microsoft’s India-born CEO Satya Nadella is on the 40th spot.
- Besides Ambani, Prime Minister Narendra Modi is the only other Indian on the power list. Modi has been ranked ninth and is ahead of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, who has been ranked 13, United Kingdom Prime Minister Theresa May, 14, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang, 15, and Apple CEO Tim Cook, who is at 24.
- The magazine cited Modi government’s November 2016 decision to eliminate India’s two largest banknotes in a bid to reduce money laundering and corruption.
- According to Forbes’ 2018 ‘World’s Billionaires’ list, Mukesh Ambani’s wealth surged a whopping 72.84 per cent to $40.1 billion (Rs 2,60,622 crore)-highest among the 119 Indian billionaires on the list. Ambani was ranked 19th globally, up from 33rd position in 2017.
Current Affairs Today: SCIENCE
Uber reveals its first electric flying car prototype:
- Uber has unveiled its first electric ‘flying car’ concept aircraft featuring rotors which can reposition to help it fly after a vertical takeoff.
- The aircraft can accommodate four passengers and travel 2,000 feet above the traffic at 241-321 kmph.
- The flying taxis will initially be flown by pilots, however, the company plans to make them autonomous in the future.
Current Affairs Today: OBITUARY
Former Test cricketer Rajinder Pal passes away:
- Former Delhi cricketer Rajinder Pal, who had represented the country in one Test match, passed away. He was 80.
- A right-arm medium pacer, Rajinder Pal played his only Test match against England (then known as MCC) during the 1963-64 series at the Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai.
- He bowled 13 economical overs (0/19 in 11 overs & 0/3 in 2 overs) in that Test but returned wicket-less, which forced the selectors to replace him with a much quicker Ramakant Desai for the next Test match.
- Incidentally, along with Rajinder Pal, the other debutant was leg spin wizard Bhagwat Chandrasekhar, who went onto have a distinguished international career.
- However, it was domestic cricket where Rajinder Pal was a force to reckon with, scalping 337 wickets from 98 first class games with 23 five wicket hauls.
- He served Delhi for a decade in Ranji Trophy, followed by stints for Southern Punjab (Punjab had two teams in Ranji then) and Haryana.
Former MP Minister Nirmal Hirawat passes away:
- Former Madhya Pradesh minister and senior Congress leader Dr. Nirmal Hirawat passed away. He was 74.
- He was a member of former Chief Minister Shyama Charan Shukla’s cabinet.
/ 5. Reviews