Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
International Nurses day being celebrated today:
- International Nurses day is being celebrated across the world today to mark the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing. This year the theme of the day is – Nurses A Voice to Lead – Health is a Human right.
- On the occasion, President Ram Nath Kovind will present Florence Nightingale awards to the nursing personnel at a function in New Delhi today.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Dhanush in Cannes to promote ‘The Extraordinary Journey Of The Fakir’:
- After completing the audio launch of superstar Rajinikanth’s ‘Kaala’, produced by Dhanush under his Wunderbar Productions, Dhanush left to attend the Cannes Film Festival 2018 festival to promote his upcoming Hollywood flick ‘The Extraordinary Journey Of The Fakir’.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
‘Ramayan Circuit’ gets a new bus service:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Nepalese counterpart K.P. Sharma Oli jointly inaugurated a direct bus service between Janakpur and Ayodhya, the two sacred cities for Hindus, as part of a “Ramayan Circuit” to promote religious tourism in Nepal and India.
- “Janakpur and Ayodhya are being connected. This is a historic moment,” Prime Minister Modi said, inaugurating the bus service, connecting Lord Rama’s birthplace Ayodhya with goddess Sita’s birthplace Janakpur.
- Modi flagged off the bus after visiting the famed 20th century Janaki temple, dedicated to the Hindu goddess Sita, where he offered special prayers.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Odisha makes loan provisions for landless farmers:
- The Odisha government today said it has decided to extend agricultural loan to landless farmers on the lines of credit given to self help groups (SHGs), Cooperation Minister S N Patro said.
- The loans would be disbursed by cooperative societies to joint liability groups. Each such group will have five farmer members who will collectively be provided with a term loan of Rs 50,000 with one per cent interest. The loan will be extended without any collaterals.
- Besides, small farmers having their own land will be provided the loan in proportion to the area of the land, Patro said.
- Each cooperative society will have to provide the loan to at least 10 groups, he said, adding that the loan to these landless farmers would be provided during the Kharif season which is about to begin.
- So far, the government had no provisions to extend loans to landless farmers.
|Governor||Satya Pal Malik|
Pink Booths to third generation EVMs, several firsts in Karnataka:
- From all-women managed ‘Pink Booths’ to the use of third generation Electronic Voting Machines, the assembly elections in Karnataka are marked by several firsts. In a women-oriented step, 450 “pink booths” called ‘Sakhi’ have been set up.
- Sending a message of women empowerment, they are entirely managed by women, right from the returning officer to the security personnel, the sources said.
- Adding a riot of colours, the EC has set up ethnic polling booths in Mysuru, Chamarajnagar and Uttar Kannada districts where polling booths match the lifestyle of tribal masses living there.
- Like in every election, each booth is equipped with facilities such as wheelchairs for the differently-abled to exercise their franchise easily.
|Governor||Vajubai Rudubai Walla|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
India’s growth to accelerate to 7.3% in next fiscal, says Fitch:
- Credit rating agency Fitch has said that India’s economic growth will accelerate to seven point three per cent in the current financial year and seven point five per cent in the next fiscal.
- In its second-quarter Sovereign Credit Overview for Asia Pacific region, Fitch said the growth rate will accelerate as money supply has recovered to its pre-demonetisation level and disruptions related to the rollout of GST have diminished.
- It said India’s ratings balance a strong medium-term growth outlook and favourable external balances against a weak fiscal position and difficult business environment.
- But the country’s business environment is likely to improve gradually with the implementation and continued broadening of the government’s structural-reform agenda, the rating agency said.
RBI bars Dena Bank from lending, hiring:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has barred State-run lender Dena Bank from extending fresh credit in view of deteriorating financial health due to mounting non-performing assets (NPAs). In addition, the lender has also been barred from recruiting staff.
- “We wish to inform that the RBI, vide their letter dated May 7, 2018, has restricted the Bank from assuming fresh credit exposure and recruitment of staff,” Dena Bank said in a notification to the stock exchanges.
New monetary limits for public sector banks to report frauds to CBI:
- The monetary threshold for public sector banks to report frauds to different departments of the CBI for a probe has been revised, according to the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC).
- Frauds of minimum Rs 3 crore to Rs 25 crore, up from Rs 15 crore, have to be reported to either the CBI’s Anti-Corruption Branch (in case staff involvement is prima facie evident) or to the Economic Offences Wing (if employees involvement is prima facie not evident) respectively.
- Cases of frauds involving more than Rs 25 crore and up to Rs 50 crore should be given to the CBI’s Banking Security and Fraud Cell (BSFC).
- The cases of more than Rs 50 crore should be lodged with the Joint Director (Policy), CBI.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
China’s Alibaba Buys Pakistan E-Commerce Firm Daraz:
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba had purchased leading Pakistani online retailer ‘Daraz’, continuing its overseas expansion by gaining a foothold in the growing South Asian consumer market.
- China is seeking closer economic ties with Asian neighbours including Pakistan through its Belt and Road initiative, a strategy to increase trade links that are led primarily by infrastructure projects. Daraz, founded in 2012, was purchased from Rocket Internet, a Berlin-based incubator of online startups.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Mohit Chauhan nominated as Green Ambassador of Sikkim:
- The Sikkim government has nominated Bollywood singer Mohit Chauhan as the Green Ambassador of the state, an official notification said.
- The state government had earlier this year roped in AR Rahman as its ambassador to promote tourism in Sikkim.
- Sikkim is known for its rich biodiversity and abundant natural resources due to environment-friendly policies being followed by the state government for more than two decades.
Ravi Venkatesan quits Infosys board:
- Independent director of Infosys Ravi Venkatesan has quit the company board to pursue an “exciting new opportunity.” His resignation comes into effect immediately, says an Infosys filing with the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
- Venkatesan has been an independent director since 2011. He served briefly as co-chairman when the company was in the eye of a storm with co-founder Narayana Murthy engaging in a bitter public spat with the management and the board headed by R. Seshasayee.
Junot Diaz Steps Down As Pulitzer Board Chair:
- The Pulitzer Prize board has started an investigation into the conduct of novelist Junot Diaz, who was name chairman last month.
- “Mr. Díaz said he welcomed the review and would cooperate fully with it,” the Pulitzer board said in a statement. The board said he voluntarily stepped down from his chairmanship, but would remain with the organization.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
Venkaiah Naidu 3-Nation Visit: India & Peru Signs Agreement:
- India and Peru signed an agreement in the field of Renewable Energy at Lima. The pact was signed in the presence of Vice President M Venkaiah Naiduand the Prime Minister Cesar Villanueva Arevalo. This is the final leg of the 3-Nation visit to central America of Indian Vice- President.
- During the meeting, the leaders discussed various bilateral and international issues of mutual interest. Vice President’s visit comes at a time when India is celebrating the 55th anniversary of the establishment of Diplomatic Relations with Peru.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
Customs And Postal Department Hold 1st Ever Joint Conference:
- Indian Customs and Department of India Postsheld a first-ever Joint Conference in Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi to deliberate on streamlining of imports and exports by post.
- Imports and exportsby post are the 6th highest cited citizen grievances under Centralized Public Grievance Redress and Monitoring System (CPGRAMs). Customs and Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) have worked together since a year to liberalise, reform and align laws relating to imports by Post.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Prof Muhammad Yunus Conferred KISS Humanitarian Award 2018:
- Nobel laureate and noted economist Muhammad Yunus was honoured with the 11th KISS Humanitarian Award 2018at a function held in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- Yunus is the founder of Grameen Bank and is known as the Father of Microfinance.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
SpaceX Launches Most Powerful Falcon 9 Rocket:
- The California-based aerospace company, SpaceXhas blasted off its most powerful Falcon 9 rocket, which is certified to carry humans to space later this year.
- The Block 5 Falcon 9 rocket’smain goal for its maiden mission is to propel the first high-orbit communications satellite for Bangladesh, called Bangabandhu Satellite-1. The Block 5 Falcon 9 is eventually meant to carry astronauts to the International Space Station, with the first launch tentatively planned for December 2018.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Book’Across The Bench – Insight Into The Indian Military Judicial System’ Release By Chief Of Army Staff:
May 12, 2018 0 Comments 0 comment
- General Bipin Rawat, Chief of Army the Staffreleased the book ‘Across the Bench – Insight into the Indian Military Judicial System’ by Lt Gen Gyan Bhushan, former Army Commander and Member ‘A’, Armed Forces Tribunal, Lucknow Bench.
- The book deals with military judicial system vis-a-vis command and management issues within the military establishments besides the whole gamut of issues relating to veterans, their families and dependents.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
NBA and FIBA to host BWB Asia:
- The National Basketball Association (NBA) and the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) will host the Basketball Without Borders (BWB) Asia event, open to the best boys and girls in the under-17 age group of the Asia Pacific region, at the NBA Academy in the National Capital Region from May 30 to June 2.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARIES
Former Test cricketer Rajinder Pal passes away:
- Former Delhi cricketer Rajinder Pal, who had represented the country in one Test match, passed away at his Dehradun residence.
- A right-arm medium pacer, Rajinder Pal played his only Test match against England (then known as MCC) during the 1963-64 series at the Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai.
/ 5. Reviews