Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Domestic Violence Act for divorced women too:
- A three-judge Bench of Justices Ranjan Gogoi, R. Banumathi and Naveen Sinha confirmed a Rajasthan High Court ruling of 2013 that the term ‘domestic violence’ cannot be restrained to marital relations alone it extends to all man-woman relationships, and also protects divorced women from their former husbands, the Supreme Court has upheld.
The Enforcement Directorate has initiated a probe into alleged irregularities in the procurement of 111 aircraft worth about Rs. 70,000 crore by Air India:
- The Enforcement Directorate has initiated a probe into alleged irregularities in the procurement of 111 aircraft worth about Rs.70,000 crore, leasing of planes and the surrender of profit-making routes and flight schedules by Air India under the UPA regime.
- The agency is currently examining the processes that were adopted in finalising the respective contracts and their implementation; besides the decisions taken for the surrender of profit-making routes and schedules, to the alleged benefit of private airlines.
Six-month jail likely for abandoning parents:
- The Narendra Modi government is planning to increase the jail term for those who abandon or abuse their elderly parents to six months from the existing three months, according to a senior official.
- The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, which is reviewing the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007, has also proposed to widen the definition of children to include adopted children or stepchildren, sons-in-law and daughters-in-law, grandchildren and minors represented by their legal guardians, a Ministry official said.
ADNOC to buy stake in Ratnagiri refinery:
- After Saudi Aramco, Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) will pick up stake in the planned $44-billion refinery-cum-petrochemical project in Maharashtra.
- An initial agreement for ADNOC taking stake is slated to be signed in UAE on Sunday, official sources said. Saudi Aramco, the world’s largest oil producer, had last month signed an agreement to take up 50% stake in the Ratnagiri refinery project.
Passport office employees launch ‘Gandhian’ protest:
- Expressing concern over the workload at passport offices, members of the All-India Passport Employees’ Association (AIPEA) on Saturday launched what they called a ‘Gandhian’ protest.
- A group of employees gathered at the Regional Passport Office (RPO) in Bhikaji Cama Place to work on their day off as a symbolic protest, but were prevented from doing so following an official circular that warned them of disciplinary action.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
China seeks to reset ties with Japan:
- After engaging with India in Wuhan, China is rebooting ties with Japan, as part of a larger pan-Asian initiative that appears to counter growing protectionism in the U.S.
- Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang has concluded a major two-stage visit to Japan earlier this week. That included talks with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, following a trilateral meeting, in which South Korean President Moon Jae-in also participated.
China’s first home-built aircraft carrier begins sea trials:
- China’s first entirely home-built aircraft carrier began sea trials on Sunday in a sign of the growing sophistication of the country’s domestic arms industry.
- The still-unnamed ship left dock in the northern port of Dalian at 7-00 a.m. to “test the reliability and stability of its propulsion and other system,” the Defense Ministry said in a statement.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Telangana govt launches investment support scheme for farmers:
- Telangana govt launched an investment support scheme, Rythu Bandhu (friend of farmers) Scheme to support livelihood of farmers.
- It is first of its kind investment support scheme for farmers to be launched by any state in India.
- Under this scheme, farmers will directly get financial support twice every year to maximise agricultural production and productivity.
- They will get an investment support of Rs 8,000 per acre every year (Rs. 4000 each for monsoon and Rabi season) as crop investment support.
Manipur to get air dispensary on May 15:
- Air dispensary services will be launched on May 15, said chief minister Nongthombam Biren Singh today speaking at the annual state level tribal cultural festival at TRI, Chingmeirong.
- He announced that the services will be in 75:25 basis from central government and state government’s directives it will be under Udan service of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Five places have been chosen including Henglep, Moreh, Tamenglong and Jiribam and in regard to this, helipad upgradation work has already been started, he further informed.
|CM||Nongthombam Biren Singh|
Rajasthan govt invites Gurjar leader for talks ahead of quota stir:
- The Rajasthan government has invited Gurjar leader Kirori Singh Bainsla for talks tomorrow, after he threatened to revive the agitation for reservation to the community.
- Bainsla has announced a sit-in on Tuesday to press for their demand of five-per-cent reservation within the Other Backward Class (OBC) quota. A faction of the community, opposed to Bainsla, is also planning to hold a separate meeting in Bharatpur district on the same day.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Finance Minister clears 3 FDI proposals worth Rs 3,250 crore:
- The finance ministry today said it cleared three foreign direct investment (FDI) proposals worth Rs 3,250 crore in April.
- The proposals included that of Hindustan Infralog Pvt Ltd which sought approval for foreign investment from DP World Global Investment BV, Netherlands amounting to 65 per cent of paid-up share capital.
- The proposal of Hindustan Infralog Pvt Ltd will bring FDI up to Rs 3,250 crore, a Finance Ministry statement said.
- The other two proposals CVC Asia Pacific (Singapore) Pte and Alcon Laboratories (India) Pvt Ltd cleared by the Finance Ministry will not result in flow of FDI.
- Besides, it rejected the proposal of Kora Research Advisors India LLP.
Vijaya Bank tags Reliance Naval as NPA:
- State-run Vijaya Bank has classified the Anil Ambani group-led Reliance Naval and Engineering, whose auditors had recently expressed doubts about the company’s ability to continue as a “going concern”, as non-performing asset from the March quarter.
- The company, which was earlier known as Pipavav Defence and Offshore Engineering, was bought over by Anil Ambani Group in 2016 and renamed as Reliance Defence and Engineering. It owes more than Rs.9,000 crore to more than two-dozen banks, mostly state-run, led by the troubled IDBI Bank.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Pawan Kumar Agarwal given 3 months extension as CEO of FSSAI:
- Pawan Kumar Agarwal has been given 3 months extension beyond May 15, 2018 as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- He was appointed as the CEO of the FSSAI in December 2015.
- The FSSAI is an autonomous body established under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- It is responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety.
Sarah Mullally has appointed as first female Bishop of London:
- Former chief nursing officer the Right Reverend Dame Sarah Mullally has been appointed as the first female Bishop of London at a service held at St Paul’s Cathedral.
- The 56-year-old was appointed to the role in December and becomes the 133rd Bishop of London.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
6th US-India Aviation Summit held in Mumbai:
- The 6th United States-India Aviation Summit, formally inaugurated by Union Minister for Civil Aviation Suresh Prabhu, has been held in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- The biennial Summit was jointly organised by Ministry of Civil Aviation and US Trade and Development Agency (USTDA).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
ISRO making green propellant:
- Scientists at the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) have reported progress in the development of an environment-friendly propellant to power satellites and spacecraft.
- The effort is to replace the conventional hydrazine rocket fuel, a highly toxic and carcinogenic chemical, with a greener propellant for future missions. Initial tests by a research team at the Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre (LPSC) here have shown promising results in the formulation and associated tests of a propellant blend based on hydroxyl ammonium nitrate (HAN).
Army finalises ammunition project:
- After years of deliberations, the Army has finalised a mega Rs.15,000-crore project under which a range of ammunition for its critical weapons and tanks will be produced indigenously to overcome long delays in imports and address the problem of a dwindling stockpile.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Lewis Hamilton cruises to victory in Spanish Grand Prix:
- Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton easily won the Spanish Grand Prix on Sunday for his second straight Formula One victory, increasing his championship lead over Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARIES
Noted Hindi lyricist, poet, politician Balkavi Bairagi dies in Madhya Pradesh:
- Noted Hindi film lyricist, Nandram Das Bairagi, popularly known as Balkavi Bairagi, died in his sleep today evening, his son said.
- Bairagi, a Lok Sabha member between 1984 and 1989 and also a former Rajya Sabha MP, was 87.
Pakisthan hockey legend Mansoor Ahmed passes away in Karachi:
- Pakistan’s World Cup-winning hockey goalkeeper Mansoor Ahmed passed away at a city hospital here today after battling a prolonged heart ailment.
- The 49-year-old Olympian had been suffering for weeks from complications stemming from a pacemaker and stents implanted in his heart, and had reached out to India for help in securing a heart transplant.