Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Government sets up committee to review the enforcement of CSR provisions:
- Union Ministry of Corporate Affairs has set up a 12-member panel to review the enforcement of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) provisions under the Companies law and to recommend a uniform approach for its enforcement.
- The panel is headed by Manmohan Juneja – Regional Director (Western Region) while Seema Rath – Deputy Director (CSR) will be the convener. Other members include Sanjay Shorey – Joint Director (Legal) and N K Dua – Joint Director (Policy) N K Dua.
- Under the Companies Act, 2013, profitable entities falling under specified categories are required to spend at least two per cent of their three-year annual average net profit towards CSR activities. This norm came into force on April 1, 2014.
IIT-Delhi installs India’s first 5G lab:
- Massive Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) technology lab, India’s first-of-its-kind 5G radio laboratory will be inaugurated at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi on April 13, 2018.
- The Massive MIMO Technology Lab has been set up at the Bharti School of Telecommunication Technology and Management, at IIT Delhi.
PM to inaugurate Dr. Ambedkar National Memorial at Alipur Road in Delhi:
- On the eve of the birth anniversary of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the Dr. Ambedkar National Memorial at 26, Alipur Road in Delhi on April 13th.
- This is the place where Dr. Ambedkar attained Mahaparinirvana on 6th December 1956.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had laid the foundation stone of the memorial on March 21, 2016.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
World’s first long-distance electric bus line to begin in Paris:
- World’s first long-distance electric bus line began service on April 12, 2018 in Paris, France.
- This bus line has been presented by Flixbus, a brand which offers intercity bus service in Europe.
- It will link Paris to France’s northern city of Amiens, undertaking a 160 kilometres journey within two hours.
- This 49-seater bus has a maximum travel range of 250 kilometres. Its batteries can be fully charged in 5 hours.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal pledges to serve the farmers on priority under APART project:
- Enveloping Assam’s ‘agri-business’ by focusing on farmers income, Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal directed to make farmers’ interests a priority.
- He advocated priority outlining and creation of adequate amenities for the farmers under the Assam Agri-business and Rural Transformation Project (APART).
- Reviewing APART, an agriculture department project, in a meeting in Guwahati, CM Sonowal asked the implementing agency to take into account the interests and priorities of the farmers.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
NHAI signs agreement for its First International Project:
- To provide seamless vehicular movement for enhancing trade, business, health, education and tourism between Indian, Myanmar and Thailand, the National Highways Authority of India has signed an agreement for upgradation of Yagyi – Kalewa section of highway (Milepost 40/0 to Milepost 115/5) in Myanmar to two lane with earthen shoulder.
- The agreement was signed by NHAI with M/s Punj Lloyd Ltd. – Varaha Infra Ltd. (JV).
- The project has been funded by Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India and would be executed on EPC mode at a cost of Rs.1177 crores.
AAI to develop Myanmar’s Kalay Airport:
- The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has signed an agreement with the Ministry of External Affairs, for preparation of a Detailed Project Report (DPR) on the first phase for development of the Kalay Airport as a green airport in Myanmar.
- AAI had developed more than 60 airports in metro and non-metro cities in India and now AAI wants to leverage its expertise to other countries on bigger scale.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
NABARD to expand its long-term lending to Rs 80,000 crore in FY19:
- NABARD (National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development) announced that, it has aimed to raise its long-term on-lending or refinance portfolio to nearly Rs 80,000 crore in the current fiscal year in a move to improve rural economy.
- NABARD’s on-lending in 2017-18 was Rs 65,000 crore. NABARD earned a surplus of Rs 2,951 crore for the fiscal year that ended in March 2018.
- It has planned to raise Rs 40,000 crore from the bond borrowing. Its borrowing was Rs 33,000 crore in 2017-18. It has been one of the top three borrowers in the market.
- NABARD’s balance sheet grew 17 % to Rs 4.06 lakh crore in the fiscal year that ended in March 2018, against Rs 3.48 lakh crore in FY17.
|Chairman||H K Bhanwala|
AIIB decides to invest $140M to improve Rural Connectivity in India:
- The Board of Directors of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) have approved USD $ 140-Million loan to improve the rural road connectivity and management for residents in Madhya Pradesh, India, at a Meeting held recently in Beijing, China.
- Nearly, 1.5 Million rural people of Madhya Pradesh will be benefited from improved livelihoods, education and mobility offered through this project.
- This project is co-financed by the World Bank. It aims to improve the rural road connectivity and management for residents of nearly 5,640 villages.
Chandra Shekhar Ghosh re-appointed as MD & CEO of Bandhan Bank:
- Chandra Shekhar Ghosh has been re-appointed as managing director and CEO of Bandhan Bank for a three year term from 10thJuly 2018.
- Former deputy governor at Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Harun Rasid Khan, has joined Bandhan Bank board.
|Bandan Bank Headquarters||Kolkata|
|MD & CEO||Chandra Shekhar Ghosh|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
India hosts 16th International Energy Forum (IEF) Ministerial Meeting:
- 16th International Energy Forum Ministerial (IEF16) Meeting was held on 10th -12th April 2018 in New Delhi.
- This meeting was hosted by India and co-hosted by China and South Korea.
- IEF16 was the largest gathering of Energy Ministers from across the globe. From the Indian side, the ministerial was attended by Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Late Veteran Actor Vinod Khanna Awarded Dadasaheb Phalke Award:
- Veteran Hindi film actor Shri Vinod Khanna was awarded the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for his contribution to Indian Cinema. This was announced during the 65th National Film Awards.
- Some of the other prominent winners in various categories for this year National Film Awards included Assamese movie ‘Village Rockstars’ in Best Feature Film category and ‘Baahubali – The Conclusion’ in the Best Popular Film providing Wholesome Entertainment category. The Feature Film Central panel was headed by Shekhar Kapur.
Siddhartha Varadarajan will receive the Shorenstein Journalism Award for 2017 at Stanford University:
- Siddhartha Varadarajan, the founding editor of The Wire, will receive the Shorenstein Journalism Award for 2017 at Stanford University on April 16.
- The award is given annually by Stanford University’s Walter H. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center and alternates between recipients from the West and Asia.
- “Siddhartha Varadarajan original perspective and courageous accounts of India’s domestic and foreign policies have for years received high acclaim, informing readers in India, the U.S., and around the world.
65th National Film Awards:
- The 65th National Film Awards were announced in Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi.
- The chairpersons of the three juries (Feature, Non-feature and Writing) for the National Film Awards have announced the awards for the different categories.
- This year, the jury is being headed by director Shekhar Kapur. The jury panel has 10 members. National Film Awards will be given by the President Ram Nath Kovind in May 2018.
|1.||Best Anthropological film||Name Place Animal Thing, Slave Genesis|
|2.||Best Critic on Cinema||Girdhar Jha (Swarn Kamal)|
|3.||Special Mention||Mhorkya (Marathi), Hello Arasi (Oriya), Take Off (Malayalam), Newton (Hindi)|
|4.||Best Ladakhi Film||Walking With The Wind|
|5.||Best Jasari Film||Sinjar|
|6.||Best Tulu Film||Paddayi|
|7.||Best Odiya Film||Hello Arsi|
|8.||Best Kannada Film||Hebbet Ramakka|
|9.||Best Hindi Film||Newton|
|10.||Best Bengali Film||Mayurakshi|
|11.||Marathi Film||Kachcha Limbu|
|12.||Best Malayalam Film||Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum|
|13.||Best Telugu Film||Ghazi|
|15.||Best Tamil Film||To Let|
|16.||Best Gujarati Film||Dhh|
|17.||Best Action Direction||Abbas Ali Moghu for Baahubali 2|
|18.||Choreography||Ganesh Acharya for ‘Gori Tu Latth Maar’ for Toilet – Ek Premkatha|
|19.||Best Special Effects||Baahubali 2|
|20.||Best Music Director||Kaatru Veliyidai|
|21.||Best Background Score||Mom|
|22.||Special Jury Award||Nagarkirtan|
|23.||Best Lyrics||JM Prahalad for Muthuratna song|
|24.||Best Make Up Artist||Ram Rajjak (Nagarkirtan)|
|25.||Best Production Design||Santhosh Raman (Malayalam movie Take Off)|
|26.||Best Screenplay (Original)||Sajeev Pazhoor (Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum)|
|27.||Screenplay Writer (Adapted)||JAYARAJ (Bhayanakam)|
|28.||Best Dialogues||Sambit Mohanty (Hello Arsi)|
|30.||Best Cameraman||Nikhil S Praveen|
|31.||Best Playback Singer||Shashaa Tirupati for Kaatru Veliyidai.|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENT
Sripriya Ranganathan appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Korea:
- Sripriya Ranganathan was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Korea.
- Sripriya Ranganathan is an Indian Foreign Service Officer (IFS) of 1994 batch. She is at present Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs.
Bhanu Pratap Sharma appointed chairman of Bank Board Bureau (BBB):
- On 12th April 2018, former DoPT (Department of Personnel and Training) Secretary Bhanu Pratap Sharma was appointed the Chairman of Banks Board Bureau (BBB) by the government.
- Bhanu Pratap Sharma succeeds Vinod Rai. Vinod Rai was appointed as the first chairman of BBB for a period of two years.
- Financial Services Secretary Rajiv Kumar said that, Bhanu Pratap Sharma will be given the same mandate as that of Vinod Rai.
Jayant Sinha to head Task Force for UAV technology:
- The Government has decided to constitute a Task Force under the chairmanship of Shri Jayant Sinha, Minister of State for Civil Aviation for fast-tracking the roll-out of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) technology.
- The Task Force will develop a roadmap with implementable recommendations for Central as well as State Governments, Industry and Research Institutions.
- The Task Force will consist of representatives from the Government, PSUs, industry and sectoral experts and submit report within 6 months of its constitution.
- The Headquarters of the Task Force will be at Ministry of Civil Aviation, New Delhi.