Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Israel become a permanent member of Financial Action Task Force
- Israel became a full member of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), an international body set up to combat money laundering, terrorist financing and other threats to the international financial system. The Jewish state has now taken its place alongside 37 other members including most of the G20, the world’s 20 leading industrialized and emerging economies just 16 years after being blacklisted by the organization.
||Israeli new shekel
Scientists from the Fujian Normal University in China developed a “rewritable” paper
- Scientists from the Fujian Normal University in China developed a “rewritable” paper that can be drawn or printed on over and over again by changing the temperature. The new material consisted of three layers in a sandwich-like structure where the text could be changed or wiped clean over 100 times by changing the temperature. According to a study published in the journal ACS Applied Material & Interfaces, the messages can last more than half a year, compared to other re-writable papers. It can be used in practical applications such as long-lasting information recording and reading, rewritable label, reprintable display.
Australia became the world’s leading exporter of Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) for the first time
- Australia surpassed Qatar to become the world’s leading exporter of Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) for the first time. This was announced according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics which stated that Australia had exported 6.55 million tonnes of LNG in November 2018 compared to Qatar’s 6.27 million tonnes. LNG is Australia’s third-largest export commodity behind coal and iron ore.
The world’s largest Arabic audio library launched Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- Crown Prince of Dubai, Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, launched the Dubai Audio Library, the largest Arabic audio library in the world, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE). The library, targets seven million visually impaired people in the Arab world, and is an initiative undertaken by the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) of Dubai in collaboration with the website Bookshare.org. The first book uploaded to the Dubai Audio Library, Zayed Diwan, is a collection of 87 poems written by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai.
||Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
India’s first Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence was opened in Mumbai
- India’s first Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence established by the European Union was inaugurated at the Department of European Studies (DES) at Manipal Academy of Higher Education in New Delhi by Ambassador of the European Union (EU) to India and Bhutan, Tomasz Kozlowski. The award comes with a grant of 1,00,000 Euros to pursue India-EU interdisciplinary studies in culture, literature, education and society. This is the fifth time that MAHE has been awarded grants under the Erasmus+ Jean Monnet initiative.
||Chinamani Vidyasagar Rao
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Reserve Bank of India has imposed a fine of Rs 1 crore to Indian Bank for violating cybersecurity norms
- The Reserve Bank of India has imposed a fine of Rs 1 crore on Indian Bank for violating cybersecurity norms. The contravention is with regard to RBI’s directions on Frauds – Classification and Reporting by Commercial Banks.
- “This penalty has been imposed in exercise of powers vested in RBI under the provisions of…the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 taking into account the failure of the bank to adhere to the aforesaid guidelines and directions issued by RBI,” the release said.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Kirthiga Reddy has joined SoftBank as its first venture partner at its $100 billion Vision Fund.
- Kirthiga Reddy, the former managing director of Facebook India, has joined SoftBank as its first venture partner at its $100 billion Vision Fund. She is the first women coming on board in a company where the rest are all men. Reddy was Facebook’s first employee in India and served as the managing director for India and South Asia market until 2016, following which she relocated to the company’s US headquarters, serving as Managing Global Client Partner and Emerging Markets Lead.
Rajiv Mehrishi has been appointed as Vice-Chair of UN Panel of Auditors for 2019
- Rajiv Mehrishi, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India, has been appointed as Vice-Chair of UN Panel of Auditors for the year 2019. The United Nations Panel of Auditors consists of External Auditors of the United Nations and its agencies. Presently, the panel consists of 11 countries — India, Germany, Chile, Canada, France, Italy, Philippines, Ghana, Indonesia, Switzerland and United Kingdom. Currently, the panel is chaired by CAG of the UK. The panel held its annual meeting in New York from 3 to 4 December 2018 and discussed various issues concerning audit of United Nations and the agencies under the United Nations System.
Arundhati Bhattacharya has been appointed as SWIFT India Chairman.
- Arundhati Bhattacharya, former chairman of State Bank of India (SBI) has been appointed as SWIFT India Chairman. She will succeed former banker M V Nair. SWIFT India is a joint venture of top Indian public and private sector banks and SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
According to the Yahoo Year in Review list Narendra Modi has retained the position of top newsmaker in India in the year 2018
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi was once again the top newsmaker in India in the year 2018, according to the Yahoo Year in Review list. Modi has featured at the top of the list for at least a couple of years now and is followed this year by Congress president Rahul Gandhi. Former Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra wrote his way into the list with third position after landmark verdicts on triple talaq and Article 377.
Sascha Bajin is the first-ever recipient of the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) Coach of the Year Award
- Sascha Bajin, coach of the world number five Naomi Osaka, has become the first-ever recipient of the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) Coach of the Year Award. WTA Coach of the Year Award is given to the coach with not only success on-court, but also who serves as an ambassador of the sport and brings coaching to the forefront of the game.
Mary Kom has been honoured with the title “Meethoileima” by the Manipur Government
- Manipur Government honored AIBA World Women Boxing Gold medalist MC Mary Kom with the title “Meethoileima” (par excellent queen) at a function in Imphal, Manipur. On the occasion, State Chief Minister N. Biren Singh handed over a cheque of ten lakh rupees to her. The Chief Minister also declared that the Imphal West DC Road towards Game Village will be named as MC Mary Kom Road.
DMK MP Kanimozhi has been selected for the Best Woman Parliamentarian (Rajya Sabha) for 2018
- DMK MP Kanimozhi has been selected for the Best Woman Parliamentarian (Rajya Sabha) set up by Lokmat newspaper for 2018. A jury of eminent personalities headed by Murali Manohar Joshi selected her for the award and it will be presented to her by Vice-President M. Venkaiah Naidu on December 13.
Jamal Khashoggi has been named Time magazine’s 2018 “Person of the Year”
- Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who was murdered in October 2018 at his country’s embassy in Istanbul, has been named Time magazine’s “Person of the Year” for his work in journalism along with other journalists who faced politcal persecution for their work. Time Magazine referred to Khashoggi as a “Guardian of the Truth”. The magazine has also honoured Philippine journalist Maria Ressa, Reuters reporters Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo — currently imprisoned in Myanmar among others.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
The Conference on ‘Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code – A New Paradigm for Stressed Assets was held in New York, United States of America (USA)
- A conference on the theme ‘Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code of India – New Paradigm for Stressed Assets’ was held at the Indian Consulate in New York. The conference was organised by the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) jointly with the Consulate General of India, New York, USA. The Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, Mr. Arun Jaitley addressed the conference via Video Conferencing. Dr. M. S. Sahoo, Chairperson, IBBI also addressed at the function. The Conference was followed by a roundtable with prospective stakeholders of the Indian insolvency regime which witnessed participation of many international fund houses and law firms.
||‘Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code of India – New Paradigm for Stressed Assets’
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCHEMES AND PROGRAM
Ministry of Agriculture has launched ENSURE – National Livestock Mission
- Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Radha Mohan Singh launched a portal ‘ENSURE’- National Livestock Mission-EDEG developed by NABARD and operated under the Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying & Fisheries. The NABARD has developed an online portal “ENSURE” (ensure.nabard.org) so that the information related to beneficiary and processing of the application can be made readily available.
National Challenge for Youths,”Ideate for India – Creative Solutions using Technology”, in New Delhi.
- Union Minister for Electronics & IT, Law & Justice, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad, launched a National Challenge for Youths,”Ideate for India – Creative Solutions using Technology”, in New Delhi. The Challenge has been designed and launched by: The National e-Governance Division, Ministry of Electronics & IT in collaboration with Intel India, with support from the Department of School Education and Literacy (DoSE&L), Ministry of Human Resource Development. The DoSE&L will propagate the challenge to State Education Departments, NVS, KVS and CBSE authorities. The National Challenge will be open to at least 1 million students of classes 6 – 12 all across the country – all 29 States and 7 Union Territories over the next 3 months ending in March 2019.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOBILE APP AND PORTAL
@CyberDost has been launched by the Union Government to spread awareness about cyber crimes
- The Union Ministry of Home Affairs has launched a Twitter account to spread awareness about cyber crimes and normal precautions to be taken. The Twitter handles – @CyberDost – is aimed at enhancing people’s basic knowledge about cyber crimes and precautions to be taken for prevention.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Shubhankar Sharma became the youngest and the fifth Indian to win the Asian Tour Order of Merit in golf
- Shubhankar Sharma became the youngest and the fifth Indian to win Asian Tour Order of Merit in golf. The Indian won it even before the finish of the last two events of the year. Before Sharma, Jyoti Randhawa (2002), Arjun Atwal (2003), Jeev Milkha Singh (2006 and 2008) and Anirban Lahiri (2015) had achieved the feat. With the win, Shubhankar Sharma also captured the Asian Tour Habitat for Humanity Standings title after a ground breaking year of achievements. The 22 years old Sharma’s Order of Merit win was confirmed after he managed to secure total prize money of $755,994 on the Asian Tour for 2018.
Daily Current Affairs PDF of 13th Dec 2018