Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
World Kindness Day
- World Kindness Day is an international observance on 13 November. It was introduced in 1998 by the World Kindness Movement, a coalition of nations’ kindness NGOs.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
India and China are partnering on new digital economy measures.
- In tune with its rise as an internet giant, China is roping in India as a niche digital partner, as part of Beijing’s drive to cyber-connect with Eurasia, its new frontier for trade and investments. One such measure is standardizing 2D barcodes (QR codes) which reduce some issues with widespread digital trade, like verifying genuine buyers and sellers of products and services.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Sri Lankan PM Mahinda Rajapaksa leaves Presidents Party, joins newly-formed Sri Lanka People’s Party
- Newly appointed Sri Lankan Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa ended his five-decade-long association with Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) and joined newly-formed Sri Lanka People’s Party (SLPP).
|Srilanka Capital||Colombo, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte|
SpiNNaker: Largest brain-mimicking supercomputer switched on
- The world’s largest supercomputer Spiking Neural Network Architecture (SpiNNaker) machine designed to work in same way as human brain was switched on for the first time. It designed and built at University of Manchester in UK.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Tripura government to acquire 26% shares of Palatana thermal project from IL and FS.
- Tripura government to acquire 26% shares of Palatana thermal project from IL and FS. Palatana gas thermal power project is a 726.6 MW gas-based power project. It is run by ONGC Tripura Power Company (OTPC).
|CM||Biplab Kumar Deb|
|Governor||Kaptan Singh Solanki|
IIT-Madras has developed portable solar-powered cold storage device for storing vegetables and fruits
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has developed portable solar-powered cold storage device with 500 kg capacity for storing vegetables and fruits, among other items. The device will help farmers store their produce for sufficient time so that it does not get spoilt before it is sold, thereby preventing wastage of agricultural produce. The first unit of device was deployed at farm in Madurantakam in Kancheepuram district in Tamil Nadu.
SEBI gave nod to Tamil Nadu for launching its State Shelter Fund for attracting investments in the affordable housing segment
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) gave nod to Tamil Nadu for launching its State Shelter Fund for attracting investments in the affordable housing segment. The fund’s name is Tamil Nadu Infrastructure Fund. This was announced at an event called ‘Innovative and Alternative Finance for Business and Infrastructure Development in India. It was organized by the United Economic Forum (UEF) Chamber of Commerce and the World Islamic Economic Forum Foundation (WIEF).
|Tamil Nadu Capital||Chennai|
Election Commission sets up ‘Sangwari’ polling booths in various constituencies of Chhattisgarh to encourage women voters
- The Election Commission has set up ‘Sangwari’ polling booths in various constituencies of Chhattisgarh to encourage women voters to exercise their franchise in the Assembly elections. In Chhattisgarhi dialect, ‘Sangwari’ means friend.
|Chhattisgarh Capital||Atal Nagar|
PM Modi inaugurates projects worth over rs 2,400 crore in Varanasi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated to the nation several projects including two National Highways and an Inland Waterways Terminal on River Ganga at Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh. The total cost of these projects is 2413 crore rupees. The Prime Minister also received the country’s first container cargo transported on inland waterways from Kolkata.
|Uttar Pradesh Capital||Lucknow|
High Court for Andhra Pradesh will start functioning from January 1, 2019 in Amaravathi
- The Supreme Court has given nod for a separate High Court for Andhra Pradesh and it will start functioning from January 1 next year. The new court, which will be the 25th High Court in the country, will temporarily function from a makeshift building till the permanent structure is built in the Justice City complex in Andhra’s de-facto capital Amaravathi.
|Andhra Pradesh Capital||Hyderabad, Amaravathi|
Researchers at IIT, Roorkee, have developed fluorescent carbon nano dots for simultaneous detection and destruction of cancer cells.
- Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee, have developed fluorescent carbon nanodots for simultaneous detection and destruction of cancer cells. The nanosized (10-9 metre) carbon materials would serve as therapeutic and diagnostic agents for cancer. They have been extracted from the leaves of the rosy periwinkle plant. The research team is led by P Gopinath. The research is supported by the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) and the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Union Ministry of Science and Technology.
|CM||Trivendra Singh Rawat|
|Governor||Baby Rani Maurya|
Goa has banned importing/bringing fish from outside.
- Goa has banned importing/bringing fish from outside. The announcement was made on November 10. The ban included import from Karnataka. The announcement has kicked off a controversy with fishermen from the State questioning the rationale behind the decision. The ban has come for a second time this year, the first being in August for 15 days. Later, the government set up border check-posts to inspect whether the marine products complied with FDA regulations.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
ADB to provide US $13 million loan to EESL to promote efficient energy usage in India
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) it will provide US $13 million loan to Energy Efficiency Services (EESL) to promote efficient energy usage in India. It will be provided by Global Environment Facility (GEF) as part of US $200 million ADB-financed Demand-Side Energy Efficiency Sector Project.
The Reserve Bank of India cancelled the certificate of registrations of as many as 31 Non-Banking Finance Companies (NBFCs)
- The Reserve Bank of India cancelled the certificate of registrations of as many as 31 non-banking finance companies (NBFCs) for unspecified reasons. A majority 27 of the 31 companies which lost their licences are from Bengal. Bengal is followed by Uttar Pradesh, which has seen four NBFC licence cancellations. A majority of voluntary application for licence cancellation are also from Bengal.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
NBCC inks pact with Health Ministry to buy out HSCC
- State-owned NBCC (India) Limited (formerly National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited) has signed an agreement with the Health Ministry to acquire Hospital Services Consultancy Corporation (HSCC).
Nokia and Infosys join hands to work in AI and machine learning driven solutions
- Finnish mobile telecom network maker Nokia and Indian IT services firm Infosys joined hands to work in AI and machine learning driven solutions. The partnership will help drive digital transformation in various sectors, such as: Industries, transportation, energy and manufacturing, media and entertainment, and education. It will couple technology, products and services from Nokia with platform solutions, engineering and operations management expertise from Infosys.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
S. Deswal has appointed as Director General of Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP)
- The ACC has approved the appointment of S. S. Deswal, IPS as Director General, Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP). He took charge from R K Pachnanda, the outgoing DG of ITBP, who superannuated recently. Mr Deswal will hold the additional charge of the post of DG, Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) till further orders.
Abhay Kumar was appointed the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Madagascar
- Abhay Kumar was appointed the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Madagascar. He is an Indian Foreign Service Officer (IFS) of the 2003 batch. At present he is Deputy Chief of Mission (DCM) at the Indian Embassy of Brasilia. He has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Madagascar. He will replace Subir Dutta. He will take up this assignment soon.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Swati Chaturvedi has bagged with the 2018 London Press Freedom award
- Swati Chaturvedi has won the 2018 London Press Freedom Award for Courage. She is a freelance journalist who has been the target of online trolling and harassment for her investigative reports. Ms.Chaturvedi won the award for her work in exposing the “IT cell” within the Bharatiya Janata Party for keeping an army of angry trolls.
UNESCO Announced Asia-Pacific Awards 2018 for Cultural Heritage Conservation
|Award of Distinction:||1. The LAMO Center, Ladakh, India.|
|Award of Merit:||1. 5 Martin Place, Sydney, Australia.
2. Aijing Zhuang, Fujian, China.
3. Commercial Bank of Honjo Warehouse, Saitama, Japan.
|Honourable Mention:||1. Ruttonsee Muljee Jetha Fountain, Mumbai, India.
2. Hengdaohezi Town, Heilongjiang, China.
3. Rajabai Clock Tower & University of Mumbai Library Building, Mumbai, India.
|New Design in Heritage Contexts:||1. Kaomai Estate 1955, Chiang Mai, Thailand.
2. The Harts Mill, Port Adelaide, Australia.
|Award of Excellence||1. Shijo-cho Ofune-hoko Float Machiya, Tokyo, Japan|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
INSPIRE 2018 organized in New Delhi by EESL and World Bank
- The second edition of was International Symposium to Promote Innovation & Research in Energy Efficiency (INSPIRE 2018) launched in New Delhi. It was jointly organised by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) and World Bank.
Food and Agro Buyer-Seller Meet (BSM) was held in Jeddah
- Food and Agro Buyer-Seller Meet (BSM) was held in Jeddah. It was inaugurated by Md. Noor Rahman Sheikh, Consul General of India in Jeddah and Hassan Ibrahim Dahlan, Secretary General of Jeddah Chamber.
The 5th World Internet Conference (WIC), also known as the Wuzhen Summit, was held in Wuzhen, China
- The 5th World Internet Conference (WIC), also known as the Wuzhen Summit, was held in Wuzhen, China. The conference aimed to bring out exchanges, mutual learning, cooperation and sharing in the digital fields and stressed on peace and development of the global cyberspace. Top 15 of the latest scientific and technological achievements in the global internet industry were unveiled.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Mansi Gulati’s book ‘Yoga and Mindfulness’
- Famous yoga exponent and author, Mansi Gulati’s book, ‘Yoga and Mindfulness’. The book was launched by the Vice President of India, M. Venkaiah Naidu at Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Conference Hall, Vice President’s House, New Delhi.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
India overtook US as the 2nd largest smart phone market after China
- According to a report by research firm Canalys, India overtook US as the 2nd largest smartphone market after China. China saw a shipment of 100.6 million smartphones in the 3rd quarter followed by India which saw 40.4 million units during the same period.
Bangalore tops the index for the most congested city
- Bangalore tops the index for the most congested city, and Mumbai in the second position, while Pune follows in the seventh place, according to a recent research published under the US-based organization, National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
NASA’s Ralph, a space instrument, will travel with the Lucy mission to Jupiter’s Trojan asteroids, in 2021
- NASA’s Ralph, a space instrument, will travel with the Lucy mission to Jupiter’s Trojan asteroids, in 2021. The Lucy spacecraft carries a near-twin of Ralph named L’Ralph. L’Ralph will investigate Jupiter’s Trojan asteroids. Lucy will fly by 6 Trojans and 1 Main Belt asteroid, which is more than any other previous asteroid mission. L’Ralph will detect the chemical fingerprints of Trojan asteroids. These data would be helpful in finding how organic molecules form in primitive bodies, a process that might have led to the emergence of life on Earth.
The Defence Ministry has enhanced financial powers of vice chiefs of the three services from Rs 100 crore to Rs 500 crore
- The Defence ministry has enhanced the financial powers of the three vice chiefs from Rs 100 crore to Rs 500 crore, thus effecting a five-time increase for augmenting procurement of arms and ammunition and upgrade of defence preparedness.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
34th National Junior Athletics Championships 2018 held in Jharkhand
- From 2nd to 5th November 2018, 34th National Junior Athletics Championships 2018 was held at the Birsa Munda Athletics Stadium in Ranchi, Jharkhand.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARIES
Stan Lee, Co-Creator of Spider-Man, Iron Man, has passed away
- American comic-book writer and Marvel Comics co-creator Stan Lee passed away aged 95. Born as Stanley Martin Lieber in Manhattan, he is credited with co-creating several fictional characters including Spider-Man, the Hulk, Doctor Strange, the X-Men, Iron Man, and Thor.
Veteran Marathi actress Lalan Sarang has passed away
- Veteran theatre and Marathi film actor Lalan Sarang had passed away in Pune where she was hospitalized for a month for multiple ailments. Sarang was 79 years old.