Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
Current Affairs Today: IMPORTANT DAY
World Hemophilia Day:
- World Hemophilia Day is recognized worldwide on 17th April every year to increase awareness of hemophilia and other inherited bleeding disorders.
- It was started by the World Federation of Hemophilia (WHF).
- This is a critical effort since with increased awareness comes better diagnosis and access to care for the millions who remain without treatment.
- World Hemophilia Day was started in 1989 by the World Federation of Hemophilia (WFH) which chose to bring the community together on April 17 in honour of WFH founder Frank Schnabel’s birthday.
|Theme 2018||Sharing Knowledge|
Current Affairs Today: NATIONAL
Government removes 44 districts from Naxal-affected areas list:
- The government has removed 44 districts where Naxal presence has been eliminated or it has been reduced to a negligible amount from a list of Naxalism-affected areas.
- Naxal violence is now confined only to 30 worst-affected districts.
- The new list of LWE-hit areas now includes 90 districts, of which only 58 had seen violence in the past year, spread across 11 states.
- In its earlier avatar, the SRE scheme extended to 126 districts, an outcome of redrawing of divisions across the 106 districts originally listed, and 10 states.
Government revises target to complete Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana from year 2022 to 2019:
- The Government has stated that the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana is well on its way to achieving the target by March 2019.
- The scheme, since its inception in 2000, has been able to provide connectivity to more than One lakh 50 thousand habitations.
- Sensing the importance and urgency of rural roads for national development, the target date for completion of PMGSY-I has been preponed from 2022 to 2019.
- This centrally sponsored programme implemented in partnership with the state governments has seen the greater focus and consistent improvement in pace and quality in the last three years.
Current Affairs Today: INTERNATIONAL
China launches website to report corruption:
- China has stepped up its campaign against foreign espionage with a website in Mandarin and English encouraging people to report national security threats such as bids to “overthrow the socialist system”.
- The website, www.12339.gov.cn, launched by the ministry of national security, also urges anyone to report attempts by Chinese nationals or foreigners to bribe state or military officials, instigate armed riots or incite ethnic separatism.
- Informants will be rewarded for discovering espionage equipment or for tip-offs on anyone suspected of buying or selling state secrets, according to the website, which allows users to lodge complaints in both Chinese and English.
|China President||Xi Jinping|
Prime Minister Modi to visit United Kingdom in second leg of his two-nation European tour:
- In the second leg of his two-nation European tour, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit the United Kingdom.
- He will hold bilateral talks and attend the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting there.
- He will meet his counterpart, Theresa May and Queen Elizabeth II. He will also meet corporate sector CEOs of both the countries.
- Prime Minister will also address a unique event ‘Bharat Ki Baat, Sabke Saath’. It will be the one-of-its-kind live interactive conversation in which the Prime Minister will answer questions concerning India.
|UK Currency||Pound Sterling|
|UK Prime Minster||Theresa may|
France announces 50 million euro humanitarian aid for Syria:
- France will contribute 61.9 million dollars toward urgent humanitarian aid for Syria.
- French President Emmanuel Macron stated at a meeting with a group of non-governmental organisations (NGO) in Paris.
- The funds will be allocated to NGOs and U.N. agencies working on the ground in Syria, including the U.N. office for humanitarian affairs.
- According to United Nations estimates, some 13 million people including six million children are in need of humanitarian aid in Syria, ravaged by a seven-year war that has displaced millions.
|France Currency||Euro, CFP franc|
|France President||Emmanuel Macron|
India wins election to crucial NGO committee in United Nations:
- India has won an election to a crucial non-governmental organisation committee in the United Nations.
- It topped the election by the Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations in the Asia Pacific States category followed by Pakistan, Bahrain and China to serve a four-year term beginning on January 1, 2019.
- India got the highest number of votes at 46, followed by Pakistan 43, Bahrain 40 and China 39.
- India was also elected by acclamation to the Commission on Population and Development for a four-year term and to the Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice for a three-year term.
Current Affairs Today: STATE
Gujarat Chief Minister launches Pocket Cop project:
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has launched the ‘Pocket Cop Project in order to ensure that the police force of the state is equipped with modern day technology.
- Under the project, every officer in charge of the police station, Investigating Officer, PCR van and officials handling the passport verification process shall be equipped with a smartphone enabled with internet connectivity.
- The government has made a provision of 4900 such phones. These phones will have the information of as many as 69 lakh criminals and their crimes at fingertips.
- The use of CCTV across various districts at the cost of more than 300 crores Rs under the Smart City Project has helped curb various types of crimes happening all over the state.
- 6 pilgrimage sites will be equipped with CCTV cameras in the days to come. He also added that as many as 18 thousand people were appointed in the state police force and 5500 will be recruited this year.
|Gujarat Chief Minister||Vijay Rupani|
|Gujarat Governor||Om Prakash Kohli|
Kerala to set up three cyber police stations for tackling rising cyber crimes:
- Concerned over the rise in online crimes, the Kerala Government decided to set up three cyber police stations at Ernakulam, Thrissur and Kozhikode.
- A decision in this regard was taken at a Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister, Pinarayi Vijayan.
- A special wing is being set up to prevent cyber crimes and ensure effective investigation. It was also decided that each cyber police station would have 18 personnel, including a circle inspector.
|Kerala Chief Minister||Pinarayi Vijayan|
|Kerala Governor||P. Sathasivam|
Himachal Pradesh Cabinet to create agency for water supply in Shimla:
- The Himachal Pradesh cabinet approved setting up of Shimla Jal Prabandhan Nigam Limited (SJPNL) for water supply and waste water management in Greater Shimla Planning Area and other places.
- The estimated cost of the project to be implemented with financial assistance from the World Bank is Rs 770 crore.
- The Cabinet meeting, presided over by Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur, also approved in principle transportation guidelines for the safe plying of school vehicles.
- It was also decided that the transport department would send letters to the principals of all private schools on behalf the chief minister informing them about the school transportation safety guidelines.
|Himachal Pradesh Capital||Shimla, Dharamsala (Second Capital in Winter)|
|Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister||Jai Ram Thakur|
|Himachal Pradesh Governor||Acharya Dev Vrat|
Current Affairs Today: BANKING and ECONOMY
Kotak Mahindra Bank topples SBI to become India’s 2nd largest bank by market capitalization:
- Kotak Mahindra Bank led by Asia’s richest banker Uday Kotak became India’s second-largest bank by market capitalisation surpassing India’s largest bank by asset State Bank of India to grab the spot.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank is now behind the market capitalisation leader among all the banking scrips HDFC Bank which also features among the exhaustive club of Rs 5 lakh crore market capitalisation.
- Along with achieving the feature as country’s second-largest bank by market capitalisation, Kotak Mahindra Bank came in the list of top 10 most valued companies on Bombay Stock Exchange.
|Kotak Mahindra Bank Headquarters||Mumbai|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank Tagline||Let’s Make Money Simple|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank MD and CEO||Uday Kotak|
EPFO reverses decision, to allow offline claims of over Rs. 10L:
- The Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation has decided to accept provident fund withdrawal claims of over Rs.10 lakh via physical forms, reversing its earlier decision.
- In February, the retirement fund body made it compulsory to file online claims for provident fund withdrawals of over Rs.10 lakh.
- The rule change also applies for withdrawals of over Rs.5 lakh under Employees Pension Scheme.
|Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation Headquarters||New Delhi|
|Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation CEO||V. P. Joy|
World Bank projects India’s growth rate at 7.3 per cent for the current fiscal:
- The World Bank has projected a growth rate of 7.3 percent for India this year and 7.5 percent for 2019 and 2020.
- The bank also noted that Indian economy has recovered from the effects of demonetisation and the Goods and Services Tax.
- The World Bank in its twice-a-year South Asia Economic Focus report in Washington stated that growth is expected to accelerate from 6.7 in 2017 to 7.3 per cent in 2018 and to subsequently stabilise supported by a sustained recovery in private investment and private consumption.
|World Bank Headquarters||Washington, D.C., United States|
|World Bank President||Jim Yong Kim|
|World Bank CEO||Kristalina Georgieva|
Andhra Bank opens sale of sovereign gold bonds:
- Andhra Bank has opened the sale of Sovereign Gold Bonds in line with the Government of India scheme for 2018-19 – Series – I during April 16-20, 2018.
- Issue price for the current week has been fixed at Rs 3,114 per gram with a discount of Rs 50 per gram if subscribed through digital mode.
- The minimum subscription is one gram of gold and the maximum limit of subscription ranges from four kg to 20 kg for different categories of customers.
- The tenor of the bonds is eight years with a provision for premature cancellation after five years on interest payment dates. RBI has notified 2.50 interest per annum payable on a half-yearly basis.
|Andhra Bank Headquarters||Hyderabad|
|Andhra Bank Tagline||Where India Banks|
|Andhra Bank MD and CEO||Suresh N Patel|
AU Bank bets on ‘Kamao’ app to ramp up biz:
- Jaipur-headquartered AU Small Finance Bank wants to ramp up its business via crowd-sourcing — involving not only employees but also customers and non-customers — with the help of a mobile-based app called ‘Kamao’ (earn).
- The one-year-old bank is planning to encourage stakeholders to log leads on prospective customers, who want to open deposit accounts or get loans, on the app and win ‘rewards’.
- This app is currently undergoing beta (field) testing.
- Sanjay Agarwal, MD & CEO, AU SFB, stated that “We have developed an app called ‘Kamao’. If you (employee, customer or non-customer) give us leads (prospective customer’s name, contact details, and banking requirements) for our business, we will reward you.
- We will also inform you (via the app) about the status of the lead you gave.”
|AU Small Finance Bank Headquarters||Jaipur|
|AU Small Finance Bank MD and CEO||Sanjay Agarwal|
Bhuj Mercantile Co operative Bank bags Banco Award:
- Kutch-based Bhuj Mercantile Cooperative Bank has bagged the prestigious Banco Award for best performing cooperative bank.
- The bank was adjudged best among the 1500 cooperative banks from across the country.
- At the recently-held award ceremony in Hyderabad, Bhuj Mercantile Cooperative Bank received the Banco Award from Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao in presence of leaders from over 500 cooperative banks.
- Further, Bhuj Mercantile Cooperative Bank also ranked in the lead in Gujarat for hi-tech technology upgradation, while it stood third in the category at National level.
- Banco Award given anually to the top performing cooperative banks recognise and encourage best practices in the cooperative banking sector.
Current Affairs Today: AWARDS
Kendrick Lamar becomes first rapper to win the Pulitzer Prize:
- Kendrick Lamar won the Pulitzer Prize for music Monday, making history as the first non-classical or jazz artist to win the prestigious prize.
- The revered rapper is also the most commercially successful musician to receive the award, usually reserved for critically acclaimed classical acts who don’t live on the pop charts.
- The 30-year-old won the prize for ‘DAMN’, his raw and powerful Grammy-winning album.
- The Pulitzer board stated Monday the album is “a virtuosic song collection unified by its vernacular authenticity and rhythmic dynamism that offers affecting vignettes capturing the complexity of modern African-American life.” He will win $15,000.
Rana Kapoor felicitated with ‘India Talent Management Award 2018’:
- Recently a popular business news TV channel felicitated the persistent efforts of Rana Kapoor, MD & CEO, YES BANK towards fostering an entrepreneurial spirit and best practices at one of India’s fastest growing banks.
- The ‘India Talent Management Award’ recognized the innovative strategy of the Bank to enhance the capability, capacity and confidence of the employees – to put them a step ahead in tomorrow’s workplace and economy.
Current Affairs Today: SCIENCE
Indian scientists make Ayurvedic drug to cure dengue:
- Indian scientists have formulated an Ayurvedic drug to cure dengue, claimed to be the first in the world, and the medicine is likely to be available in the market by next year.
- The Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS), an autonomous body under the Ministry of AYUSH and ICMR’s, regional research centre in Belgaum in Karnataka, have already conducted pilot studies which have proved the clinical safety and efficacy of the drug.
- This drug has been made with seven herbal ingredients which are in use in Ayurveda system of medicine since centuries.
Current Affairs Today: SPORTS
Daniel Ricciardo wins Chinese Grand Prix:
- Daniel Ricciardo of Red Bull won Chinese Grand Prix to claim the sixth victory of his Formula One career.
- Bottas finished second and Kimi Raikkonen of Ferrari was third. Sebastian Vettel, who won the first two races of the season, fell back to eighth after starting on pole.
- Vettel still leads the season standings with 54 points in three races.
- Lewis Hamilton, the four-time and defending champion, finished fifth and improved his season points total to 43.
- Bottas has 40 points in third place heading into the next race in Azerbaijan.
Current Affairs Today: OBITUARY
Veteran journalist S Nihal Singh passes away:
- Veteran journalist S Nihal Singh passed away at New Delhi. He was 88.
- S Nihal Singh had worked with several leading newspapers including The Indian Express as its editor-in-chief, The Statesman as chief editor and Khaleej Times as editor.
- He was the founding editor of The Indian Post in 1987.
- He was awarded the prestigious International Editor of the Year Award in New York for opposing the Emergency imposed by former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.