Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: IMPORTANT DAYS
International Day for Eradication of Poverty
- The International Day for the Eradication of Poverty was observed across the world on October 17, 2018. This year’s theme of the day is ‘coming together with those furthest behind to build an inclusive world of universal respect for human rights and dignity.’
|Theme||Coming together with those furthest behind to build an inclusive world of universal respect for human rights and dignity|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Foreign tourists can now visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands without any restrictions
- Government has allowed foreign tourists to visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands without any restrictions. In this regard, Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has modified its earlier order which made it mandatory for foreign tourists to register with Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) within 24 hours of their arrival.
|Andaman and Nicobar Islands Capital||Port Blair|
|Governor||Devendra Kumar Joshi|
Government launches Swasth Bharat Yatra national campaign for food safety
- The Union Government launched national campaign ‘Swasth Bharat Yatra’ on occasion of World Food Day (observed on 16 October) to sensitise people about eating safe food and be healthy. The campaign has been launched in association with states and led by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
Government committed to achieving goal of zero hunger by 2030: Agriculture Minister
- The government is continuously working on achieving the goal of zero hunger by 2030 in a systematic manner, Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Radha Mohan Singh He said, this year’s world food day aims at showcasing centre’s global commitment towards zero hunger. Mr. Singh was addressing a two-day Agri-Startup and Entrepreneurship Conclave in New Delhi on the occasion of World Food Day. Mr Singh said, 45 models on integrated farming.
Ocean Cleanup Foundation launched floating pipe to gather ocean plastic
- The Ocean Cleanup Foundation has launched a project to collect the plastic in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Wilson, a 2,000-foot-long floating pipe has begun its mission to collect the plastic in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The pipe is constructed in U shape. It features a three-metre-deep net to trap floating plastic under the water’s surface. A boat will visit the spot every few months to remove the debris.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
After Uruguay, Canada becomes second country to legalises use of cannabis
- Canada has legalised the possession and use of recreational cannabis. After Uruguay, it has become the second country and the largest country to do so. The Canadian government will also pardon the Canadians convicted of possession of marijuana. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau would pardon individuals convicted in the past for possession of up to 30 grams of marijuana.
India to set up special desk to facilitate investments from UAE
- India will soon set up a special UAE desk to facilitate investments and resolve any business issues between the two nations. The announcement was made by Union Commerce Minister Suresh Prabhu after co-chairing the sixth meeting of UAE-India High-Level Joint Task Force on Investments in Mumbai on October 15, 2018. The meeting was also attended by Chairman of the Abu Dhabi Crown Prince’s Court, Sheikh Hamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
|UAE Capital||Abu Dhabi|
|PM||Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashed al-Maktoum|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
India’s first agri and food business online learning platform has launched in Warangal
- The SRiX Agri-Business Academy, which is an Indo-UK collaborative initiative, has been launched at SR Innovation Exchange (SRiX) Campus in Warangal. It is India’s first agri and food business online learning platform and was launched by Andrew Fleming, the British Deputy High Commissioner at Hyderabad.
|Andhra Pradesh Capital||Hyderabad, Amaravathi|
Korean War memorial to be built in Delhi
- A Korean War memorial will be built in New Delhi to commemorate India’s role in the war that ended in an armistice in 1953. “India and South Korea have agreed to build a war memorial. The idea was proposed by the Korean War Veterans Association in India. The Delhi government had identified the land for the memorial in central Delhi.
Museum on Prime Ministers of India will be set up in Delhi
- Minister of state for culture, Mahesh Sharma and Union Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs, Hardeep Singh Puri jointly laid the foundation stone for proposed Museum on Prime Ministers of India at Teen Murti Estate, New Delhi.
|Delhi Capital||New Delhi|
Electric auto rickshaws are set to be launched in Kerala
- Electric auto rickshaws are set to be launched in Kerala. A committee of six auto rickshaw driver unions signed a pact with a Kinetic Green, a private firm, to roll out 200 Electric auto rickshaws in Kochi. These vehicles are expected to be on the road in November. It will primarily operate as feeder services to Kochi metro and buses, providing last-mile connectivity to commuters.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
RBI issues guidelines for facilitating money transfer among e-wallets
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has issued guidelines for interoperability among prepaid instruments (PPI) such as e-wallets. Inter-operability is technical compatibility that enables payment system to be used in conjunction with other payment systems.
RBI approved NBFC license for Kreditech
- RBI approved the license for Kreditech, the Germany-based company to operate as a Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC) licence for digital lending business and app-based financing. The approval is with the first-of-its-kind. Kreditech’s product suite for India will offer individualised direct-to-consumer loans as well as its Lending-as-a-Service Solution for vendors, which allows partners to offer customised credit products to their customers.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
BankBazaar appoints former RBI deputy governor SS Mundra as advisor
- He will help BankBazaar achieve 100 percent paperless and presence-less financing in India. He was a deputy governor at the RBI (Reserve Bank of India) for three years till July 2017.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Anna Burns Wins 2018 Man Booker Prize for Her Novel ‘Milkman’
- Northern Irish author Anna Burns has won the 2018 Man Booker Prize for her novel’Milkman’, which is her third full-length novel. The book is about an 18-year-old girl, known as “middle sister”, who is sexually harassed by an older paramilitary figure, called the “milkman”. Anna Burns has become the first Northern Irish author to win the Man Booker prize.
Suheil Tandon wins International Olympic committee award
- Social Entrepreneur Suheil F. Tandon has won the International Olympic Committee’s Sport and Active Society Commission’s Grant Award for his contribution to sports for development. Suheil is the Founder of Pro Sport Development (PSD) and Executive Director of Martha Farrell Foundation.
Dutch Oosten wins Wildlife Photographer of 2018 award
- Dutch photographer Marsel van Oosten’s stunning portrait of two endangered golden snub-nosed monkeys in China’s Qinling mountains has won this year’s prestigious prize. The winners were announced on Tuesday at London’s Natural History Museum.
H M Pernal Gets Vishwa Konkani Book Award
- ‘Beeg Ani Beegath’, a collection of short stories in Konkani by the well-known writer, journalist, and critic H M Pernal bagged the prestigious ‘Vimala V Pai Vishwa’ Konkani best book award for the year 2018. H M Pernal is the pen name of Henry M Mendonca, a native of Pernal in Udupi district, who currently lives in Mangalore.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
Australia to engage deeply with TN at the upcoming Global Investors Meet 2019
- The Australian government is to engage actively with Tamil Nadu at the upcoming Global Investors Meet 2019. It is to pursue opportunities in education, road safety technology, urban infrastructure, fisheries and agribusiness. Australian High Commissioner to India Harinder Sidhu launched a roadmap for deepening India-Australia ties over the next two decades. Australia is set to focus on Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Maharashtra, Gujarat, West Bengal, Punjab, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh.
Two-day Agri-startup and Entrepreneurship inaugurated in New Delhi
- The Union Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister Radha Mohan Singh inaugurated a two-day Agri-startup and Entrepreneurship in New Delhi on October 16, 2018, on the occasion of World Food Day. The theme of the event was unleashing potentials in agriculture for young agri-preneurs.
6th Meeting Of UAE-India High-Level Joint Task Force Held In Mumbai
- The sixth meeting of the UAE – India High Level Joint Task Force on Investments (‘the Joint Task Force’) was held in Mumbai to review the progress being made in addressing the agreed actions of the previous meeting held in Abu Dhabi in January 2018 and to elaborate a number of new key issues of mutual importance.
Goa Maritime Symposium 2018 inaugurated by the Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Sunil
- The 2018 Goa Maritime Symposium, the second edition of the Goa Maritime Symposium (GSM) was inaugurated by the Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Sunil in Goa. The theme of the seminar this year was “Building Stronger Maritime Partnerships in Indian Ocean Rim (IOR)”. It upholds the forum’s aim of fostering friendly relations with India’s maritime neighbours.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOBILE APP AND PORTAL
Kamal Haasan launched a safety app named Raudram
- Kamal Haasan, Makkal Needhi Maiam (MNM) founder, launched a safety app named ‘Raudram’. The app aimed at ensuring the safety of women in the city. The launch function held at Sri Sairam Engineering College. One can store three contact numbers upon registration in the app. If the person feels any trouble, she should press the power button thrice within a minute. Once this is done, the emergency contacts, the call centre and the nearby police station will receive an instant alert. The alerts are generated via the mobile net as well as SMS.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
NASA’s Chandra Observatory is back in action after brief shutdown
- NASA’s Chandra X-ray telescope that suffered technical glitch is back online. Due to the glitch occurred in one of Chandra’s gyroscopes it went into safe mode. Chandra X-ray telescope observes galaxies from the Earth’s orbit. The team analyzed and completed plans to switch gyroscopes and place the gyroscope that experienced the glitch in reserve.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
The 4th edition of IAAF World Relays 2019 will be hosted by JAAF
- The 4th edition of International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) World Relays 2019 will be hosted by Japan Association of Athletics Federations (JAAF) at Nissan Stadium in Yokohama (near Tokyo), which is scheduled to begin from May 11-12, 2019. The 2019 edition of IAAF World Relays will serve as a qualifier for the 2019 IAAF World Athletics Championships in Doha and the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Top 12 teams in world rankings will be qualified for the competitions in Doha while the best eight will make their way to Tokyo.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITURIES
Paul Allen (65), co-founded Microsoft with his childhood friend Bill Gates, has passed away
- Paul Allen (65), who co-founded Microsoft with his childhood friend Bill Gates, has passed away in Seattle on October 15 , 2018. In 1975, they founded the Microsoft at Albuquerque in New Mexico to develop and sell BASIC interpreters for the Altair 8800 hobby-kit personal computer.
/ 5. Reviews